TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If Morgan Freeman narrates it..

..it must be true.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    Welcome to 1994.
    I still feel like we are going over the same legislative mistakes done many decades ago.

And I also don't get your joke.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    optifree
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if he's never said it, it's false. This is known as the Morgan Freeman Paradox.

wait... maybe that's not a paradox.
    Last edited by Ath Is Cool; 01-06-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: it's not a paradox

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Cool video. I liked what Portugal and Switzerland did, decriminalizing all drugs in broad—which is basically what needs to happen everywhere.

Marijuana is at least getting slowly delegalized on a state by state level, though still federally prohibited, which is generating some awkward jurisdictional conflicts (such as feds shutting down state-licensed marijuana growing operations, etc). This is kind of interesting:

Though I think legalizing marijuana alone is kind of a middling step forward, and could conceivably backfire in giving anti-drug zealots ammo to oppose broader decriminalization efforts.
    Not once the hemp industry takes off and we start seeing a whole lot of manufacturing jobs coming back to the US.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something I enjoyed watching high.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    I still feel like we are going over the same legislative mistakes done many decades ago.

And I also don't get your joke.
    it's okay, you're not American or crazy about gun rights

here is some historical context for you

TIM
    optifree
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe the USA collective unconscious decided we would would reserve pot legalization to be our secret weapon against economic failure. Maybe the Mayans predicted it too. I bet the Mayans smoked a lot of weed.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd obviously agree hemp production should be legal (cuz fuck you government, srsly). But realistically, I doubt this'd cause a massive surge in US manufacturing growth. Sure, you'll get a little uptick. But for the most part, US capital is tooled for manufacturing high-tech value-added goods which that yield greatest economic profit.
    I don't know how significant it will be but I have reasons to believe that hemp is one of the most useful and productive plants ever known to man.

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    it's okay, you're not American or crazy about gun rights

here is some historical context for you
    Thanks. I'm still not sure how AWB links to drug criminalization beyond being a power that restricts the market, thus offering more lucrative opportunities for the black market. Criminalized drugs and guns mean that it's basically only criminals and state violence machinery who have drugs and guns. I don't count the latter among criminals because they are established in their thing what began as a protection racket.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd obviously agree hemp production should be legal (cuz fuck you government, srsly). But realistically, I doubt this'd cause a massive surge in US manufacturing growth. Sure, you'll get a little uptick. But for the most part, US capital is tooled for manufacturing high-tech value-added goods which that yield greatest economic profit.
    Yes but we have the largest contiguous landmass in the world that is both suitable and developed for growing hemp. That's going to mean a lot, especially considering that the entire Brazilian Amazon would have to be chopped down for any country to equal our production potential.

A better economic argument could be made in allowing marijuana to be as ubiquitously available on the mainstream consumer market as alcohol is. I doubt use rates would increase much beyond what they already are (obviously weed isn't hard to get ahold of), but it at least takes those transactions and employments off the black market.
    Yes, agreed. Fewer gun deaths, better quality control (at least in terms of health aspects; potency of commercially grown weed is IMO slightly less than the independent growers who take more pride, you can't walk into a dispensary and find that super-dank-sticks-to-your-finger-and-you-have-to-shake-it-off kind of weed, but it is definitely as potent as anyone would ever really want or need within reason), more tax money, more jobs. All good things.

Doing the same for all drugs could easily net hundreds of $billions in new growth, plus all the indirect cost-savings attained from lifting associated regulatory overhead, not to mention less incarcerated people who could otherwise lead productive lives, etc.
    Yeah...our prison system...*shudder*

The biggest enemies to legalization in the US are and will continue to be law enforcement, who are basically a cartel themselves and enjoy the war on drugs as a pretext to buy fancy toys to play army with (and then complain that they need more money). Not many legal jobs where you can steal property under guise of 'asset forfeiture', profiteer from throwing people in jails, raid and vandalize others houses with no recompense, throw flashbang grenades at little girls, and shoot dogs for a living.
    +1

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-pikachu

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under cerulean skies...