4 Thread(s)

Default paleo diet?

what do you guys think about this?

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's basically the diet I am on for IBS. I will never go back to eating the shit most people eat. It isn't even appetizing anymore. After not eating shit for 2 months or so, the craving of it disappears. The shit food is like an addiction people have. Now the thought of nourishing food more appetizing to me, it's like my appetite got recalibrated.

The only change I'd make to the diet above is drinking alot more juice / consuming alot more fruits & vegetables, and not consuming quite so much proteins or eating more eggs comparatively (which are lower in purine); since you cannot digest that amount of protein and you will be eliminating most of the calories you consume; it's also hard on the kidneys, and it's creating an unhealthy environment with undigested food in the intestines.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

obviously there's a benefit in cutting out processed foods, but i'm confused about whether there's any reason to cut out grains and legumes (other than the whole "eat like a caveman" thing)

TIM
    EII 4w5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like just another fad, particularly with the no grains and legumes thing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legumes, it depends what you are trying to accomplish with the diet. If you are just a typical healthy individual, there is no reason to cut them out.. just don't overeat them since you can only digest about 1 serving at a time. If you are sick there may be some reasons to eliminate them.

It depends mostly on the grain and what you want to achieve with the diet. You seem healthy.. You will probably just want a soluble / digestable grain. Wheat you definitely want to eliminate. Wheat is insoluble and very difficult to digest. Because it's insoluble and indigestable it occludes the absorption of the rest of food. So it creates a bolus of undigested food and that creates a toxic, acidic environment. Oats on the other hand are soluble, nutrients can pass through them, digestion is not blocked, and this bolus doesnt form. Different grains are more soluble or less soluble.

The other problem with wheat, and alot of grains, is they are not cooked properly... the cooking process is modified. Normally it takes about 8 hours to cook grains, and throughout the cooking process it's broken down and becomes digestable. But almost all the bread you buy these days has yeast added to speed up the process. So the bread is only cooked about 2 hours, it is not properly broken down and is indigestable. So that indigested food creates a toxic environment.

There are certain breads that are more digestable than others.. and different ways to prepare them. Like you can actually cook bread yourself if you care enough with a bread machine. Or buy certain flours that are more soluble / digestable. If you are a hardcore health guru I can't think of any breads you'd just buy and eat from the store though.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It works, is all I have to say...

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on the paleo diet for about 3 months. I had to stop because it was too expensive. It's a great diet, especially if you are normally a little overweight. The first 2 weeks you can feel a little weak because you get less carbs than before, but then you get used to it and you feel great. You have to eat more than before though, to get enough calories.

I would recommend a moderate paleo diet, where you cut out grains (bread, pasta, rice etc.), potatoes and legumes, but you still get your carbs from sweet potatoes, quinoa, fruits, berries and vegetables. It's cheaper that way. Strikt paleo people would not accept sweet potatoes and quinoa.

You really feel healthy on the diet, because you get so much more vitamines than on a regular western diet.

EDIT: And if you include olive oil also you will be able to keep up the calories without spending too much money
    Last edited by Nowisthetime; 01-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thing

Another good thing is that your body learns to keep up normal blood sugar levels throughout the day regardless weather you eat or not. Because you eat almost only very slow carbs. Feelings of hunger change. You eat because your stomach is empty, not because your head is empty. That really makes sense when one thinks about it. We should eat in order to survive, not because blood sugar fluctuates up and down during the day. That's no life. The body is capable of taking care of blood sugar level without constant meals and snacks if you just give it the right food.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    obviously there's a benefit in cutting out processed foods, but i'm confused about whether there's any reason to cut out grains and legumes (other than the whole "eat like a caveman" thing)
    http://nothinginbiology.org/2012/08/28/paleo-diet/ & http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...-all-evil.html

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the paella diet.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's basically just a low carb diet. It's great for losing weight because so much heavy-calories food are carb-heavy, but not much else (I tried a similar low-carb diet for roughly 9 months...I was really really ripped, but my quality of life worsened considerably). Definitely unsustainable in the long run, especially if you exercise and-or have an active social life and-or you have a limited budget.

Another good thing is that your body learns to keep up normal blood sugar levels throughout the day regardless weather you eat or not.
    Yeah, but you can achieve that more "naturally" through moderate but frequent aerobic exercise, with a short anaerobic phase. Which, as a bonus, increases muscular strenght and speeds up your metabolism. Or through a 40-30-30 diet (carbs-proteins-fats) which slows down your digestive process.

I also don't understand the reasoning "diary is not for everyone, so it's better to just not eat it". Rather, you should try to eliminate diary if you have digestive problems, and check if they get better or not. If you don't have any, chances are it will make no difference at all, and you will just be avoiding some pretty tasty cheese varieties.

P.S. I come from an italian perspective so I do not know if americans normally eat ultraglycemic food and thus you really need to go paleo. Maybe it's like that.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're going to give it a go, lungs?

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

II'm sure that, like all diets, it's fine if you stick to it your whole life. If you just "try" a million and twelve diets like a lot of people do you screw up your metabolism for life.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    II'm sure that, like all diets, it's fine if you stick to it your whole life. If you just "try" a million and twelve diets like a lot of people do you screw up your metabolism for life.
    yeahhhh......

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's basically just a low carb diet. It's great for losing weight because so much heavy-calories food are carb-heavy, but not much else (I tried a similar low-carb diet for roughly 9 months...I was really really ripped, but my quality of life worsened considerably). Definitely unsustainable in the long run, especially if you exercise and-or have an active social life and-or you have a limited budget.
    I don't see a reason any one would stick to a diet for their entire life, it's plain idiotic, unless your health doesn't deteriorate and you actually find it benefiting, and would like to know what kind of diet were you on. I've never been on any, can lose and gain weight when I want to eating mostly meat (liver, chicken), fish and vegetables. Sure, I devour noodles as well on occasion, don't eat much cheese. I don't drink milk, tea and coffee.

I don't call it a diet, did this before reading on any kind of diet, I'm sure somebody will, but I just eat the food I eat to give me energy for the day, amount varies depending on what I am doing/about to do. So it all boils down to knowing when to eat.

Oh pizza is fine as well.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done Paleo/Primal/Caveman/whatever, and am now on a slightly modified version of it (I've reincorporated some legumes and grains). The reason was part vanity (everyone I know who is on this diet looks amazing), but also it seems to help with anxiety and depression. I was originally moved to take on a high protein (though not necessarily low carbohydrate) diet through recommendations in Julia Ross' book The Mood Cure, which is about using diet and supplements for mood problems. Once I noticed how much better I felt (both emotionally and physically), I decided to try the Primal diet that some of my friends were on.

I like it. It actually fits my tastes well. I naturally don't like grains all that much to begin with. I have to literally choke down pasta, rice, oatmeal, bread, etc. The only bread product I like is pizza, lol. I'm much happier just getting my carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits. I also have a lingering distrust of dairy products from being a singer (dairy is not kind to your throat), and don't really like potatoes. I didn't lose any weight (though my body composition did change), but I didn't really have very much to lose. However, I know many people who HAVE lost weight on it, so if that's what you're looking for, it definitely can help.

The reason I've reincorporated whole grains and legumes (mostly chickpeas and lentils) is because I was kind of tired of having to plan around it. I liked the initial "cleanse" I got from Paleo, but I haven't noticed much of a difference at all since I stopped following it to the letter. I still have all the energy I had on it, and I look pretty much the same.

If you don't want to go full-Paleo, here are the best parts of it:
    - eating more leafy green vegetables (at least two servings a day)
    - eating more variety of vegetables or many different types, colors, and textures with minimal cooking
    - cutting out all refined carbs and sugars
    - every meal has a substantial amount of protein (I find I don't like typical breakfast foods; I crave protein in the morning and it helps you feel less hungry throughout the day)
    - minimal processing of food
    - grains do not consist of the bulk of your caloric intake (which is often what ends up happening, in many culture's cuisines around the world)

If you can integrate those things, and still have some grains and legumes (and dairy and potatoes), you should be fine.

EDIT: Oh, and I also like the Paleo exercise philosophy of low-level cardio (walking/jogging) most of the time, lifting heavy things some of the time, and sprinting occasionally. It feels sane and intuitive and speaks to what I feel like my body wants.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Absurd sure, I agree with you, I also knew instinctively what it was all about, but reading about it and trying it out gives some more perspective. Moreoever, oftentiems the paleo diet IS suggested as lifetime kind of diet, so my point does still stand. Plus, food is still supposed to taste good, and this type of dieting often reduces food to number and procedures - may make sense if you're a very high level sporstman nearing a competition, but otherwise...not really.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Absurd sure, I agree with you, I also knew instinctively what it was all about, but reading about it and trying it out gives some more perspective. Moreoever, oftentiems the paleo diet IS suggested as lifetime kind of diet, so my point does still stand. Plus, food is still supposed to taste good, and this type of dieting often reduces food to number and procedures - may make sense if you're a very high level sporstman nearing a competition, but otherwise...not really.
    To be fair, a lot of the Paleo stuff tastes amazing. I think one of the benefits is that it opens people's minds to ingredients that most Americans (and many Westerners) have completely forgotten about. Things like root vegetables, squash, leafy greens other than spinach (mustard greens, chard, turnip greens, etc.), obscure tropical fruits and regional fruits (pawpaws and persimmons, etc.) that have fallen by the wayside because of monoculture. There's a world of amazing foods outside of the rather narrow list of ingredients many Americans are familiar with and Paleo, if nothing else, forces you to diversify your knowledge of vegetables and fruits. Take a look at some of the stuff here: http://paleomg.com/
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but you can achieve that more "naturally" through moderate but frequent aerobic exercise, with a short anaerobic phase. Which, as a bonus, increases muscular strenght and speeds up your metabolism.
    Sure, exercise is always good. I still felt that it's not the same. It feels different when you get steady blood sugar from paleo diet. Like how the feeling of hunger changes to something one hasn't even experienced before. I also don't want to be dependent on exercise for that, even less any special exercise. And even if you get steady blood sugar from exercise and "normal" food, you are still too dependent on carbs imo. Like if you don't get your potatoes or pasta you feel strange.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This diet isn't that terrible, besides, any one can try it and see for themselves, I'm not saying do it, don't do it, but that you can try it anytime and stick with it for an amount of time to see what kind of benefits it comes with, you don't liek it, drop it, no biggie. As long a diet is what you need, of course. You don't diet when you think and feel(?) you don't need it. I see no point in that.

Like I said, I did few if not most things this diet speaketh of without even knowing there is a diet like that and that I am hellbound to actually stick to it, for if I won't, I won't go to heaven. I cut down on sugary stuff long time ago, naturally, without wise books on it to preach unto me I have to.

As for procedures, well, you have to prepare food some way or another to begin with, I mean, you won't eat, say, a monkey without preparing it, making it edible. And liver still "tastes good", I don't complain, the liver I eat does, I think. You would complain as well, when I started pecking on your liver while chained to a rock.

So, you want to give it a try, anyone? Go ahead, it's up to you. Just "listen" to your bodies and hear them out, that is, eat what you like to eat. I do.

Oh, and sure, exercise works wonders as well, any kind of physical work does, so yeah, being active is alright and damn advisable, so yea, I don't disagree at all when it comes to that, FDG. It's even better when you get home and munch some kind of tasty meal.

On that note, I'm going to have pizza tomorrow with lots of ketchup. Absurd diet.
    Last edited by Absurd; 01-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Like if you don't get your potatoes or pasta you feel strange.
    Well, even if you just eat pasta or potatoes without any proteins and fats mixed in, you will generally feel groggy due to a spiking blood sugar, regardless of your diet. It has to be somehow balanced...paleo or not.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They (cavemen) ate the fuck out of legumes. It was kind of a big deal since it was pretty rare they got meat. Also a lot of bugs. Add that to your diet.

Really, as long as you watch what you're eating and know what is/isn't healthy, there really isn't a reason to follow an exact, formulaic diet that people are peddling for more money.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    They (cavemen) ate the fuck out of legumes. It was kind of a big deal since it was pretty rare they got meat. Also a lot of bugs. Add that to your diet.

Really, as long as you watch what you're eating and know what is/isn't healthy, there really isn't a reason to follow an exact, formulaic diet that people are peddling for more money.
    I hear vegan gluten-free raw diet makes you a better person.... Don't you want to be a better person!

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Key is to balance what one eats and eat what one likes - the entire philosophy of eating.

Greens, fruits, meat works fine.

Wouldn't advise any one going on a high protein diet hearing about the wonders of losing weight, doesn't really work in a greater span of time and may come with a price...

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes... balance what you eat.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Mark Sisson's exercise pyramid on his website, and the graphic on how many carbs leads to weight loss/maintenance/gain. I don't count carbs, but it was interesting. His site The Daily Apple has good info on it, but some of the comments to his blog show stupid paleo followers (the stupid ones are the ones who try to eat only muscle meat and bitch about including even one serving of veg).

I've tried and like a version called Whole30. Basically for 30 days one eats cleanly (veg, meat, and fat), with veg taking up at leat half the plate/bowl. 30 days makes it easier to say No to certain foods, and has a clear time frame. It also provides some time for new food habits to kick in. At the end of 30 days, you can start adding in the foods you really really missed. (But they just don't taste the same afterwards.) I'm about to set the 30 day goal again, because I've recently begun eating breads and pastas again, and that's been causing water retention, arthritis flairing up, and a general blah feeling.

The only thing hard about it is missing familiar foods.

Some people look at "veg, meat, and fats" and say that you'll be missing out on variety. But usually these are the same people who eat cereal and milk for breakfast, bread and cheese for lunch, and pasta and dairy sauce for dinner. Iow, they forget, for example, that their cereal, breads, and pastas aren't variety...it's wheat, wheat, and more wheat (with maybe a little more wheat thrown in).
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This the reason why I think it is misleading to call the paleo diet one of meats, fruits, and low-carb vegetables. I hear inconsistent reports and archeological records about what our ancestors ate. However, going by common sense, I think a tribe of people needed some reliable source of calories before trying to run down animals. Something like potatoes or beans would have done the trick.

Absurd: You Ti dominants sure say things I don't really know where to put.
    labtard: fml
    Absurd: Hah.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

From what I've read of their diet, you wouldn't, as a modern person, probably touch some of the stuff they ate, bugs. Ewww, I wouldn't, even though it's a complete organism and is probably really good for you; the point is that our food is very efficient at supplying us with nutrients and we have good techniques to unlock nutrients (like boiling) in a lot of the veggies we eat. But, the problem people run into is that food is very easy to come by and because of that, we consume way more than we need to.

Another problem that people face is eating empty calories, where calories come from sources with poor nutrient value, like sugars and candy like items; we THINK that sometime overweight people, especially of low socio-economic backgrounds are healthy because they look well fed, which isn't always the truth; they may look that way, but in reality lack substance in their diet.

I have a fatty liver, and as a part of my diet regimen I'm not supposed to eat a veggie specific diet; this is because my body starts thinking that I'm starving when I don't eat protein so it counteracts by storing more bad fats in my liver; I have to eat a balanced diet. By genetic tendency, I'm skinny and can try to heavens to gain weight, but I'm very unsuccessful, but that does not in any way determine the internal workings of the body.

The diet in Ikaria, Greece is the best one to follow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/ma...anted=all&_r=0
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-02-2013 at 03:27 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HandiAce View Post
    I hear inconsistent reports and archeological records about what our ancestors ate.
    It must have varied immensely with location. Given the lack of refrigeration and infrastructure for interregional trade in perishable foods the common diets must have been very monotonous and highly seasonal within each region. Which kind of makes the idea of "the" paleo diet kind of questionable.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    From what I've read of their diet, you wouldn't, as a modern person, probably touch some of the stuff they ate, bugs. Ewww, I wouldn't, even though it's a complete organism and is probably really good for you; the point is that our food is very efficient at supplying us with nutrients and we have good techniques to unlock nutrients (like boiling) in a lot of the veggies we eat. But, the problem people run into is that food is very easy to come by and because of that, we consume way more than we need to.
    Our food is very efficient at making us fat and unhealthy. What the fuck are you smoking? I agree with you on the overconsumption part, but you're missing the fact that most people don't eat healthy and it's actually very difficult for us to eat healthy even when we specifically seek out the healthier choices at our local chain grocers. Even when we do purchase the healthy options, our method of preparation can bleed all the nutrients out and leave us munching on an empty plant stalk that has absolutely zero net effect on nutritional intake.

Also, bugs? WTF? Where in the Paleo Diet does it suggest we eat bugs? Do you even know what you're talking about or are you just spouting off at the mouth as usual with whatever assumptions you make up in your pea brain? And so what if the diet did involve consuming bugs? There are plenty of cultures around the world that engage in entomophagy (the consumption of insects). From parts of Africa, to Colombia, to rural Thailand, and even Australian aboriginies will consume insects for their nutritional content. Every continent has, at some point in the history of mankind, featured a society that regularly practiced entomophagy as commonly as your average fatass American schoolkid will tear into a bag of salted potato crisps. It's not "ew", it's far more common than you realize; and a lot more natural than whatever processed bullshit is in your pantry or refrigeration unit.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    Our food is very efficient at making us fat and unhealthy. What the fuck are you smoking? I agree with you on the overconsumption part, but you're missing the fact that most people don't eat healthy and it's actually very difficult for us to eat healthy even when we specifically seek out the healthier choices at our local chain grocers. Even when we do purchase the healthy options, our method of preparation can bleed all the nutrients out and leave us munching on an empty plant stalk that has absolutely zero net effect on nutritional intake.

Also, bugs? WTF? Where in the Paleo Diet does it suggest we eat bugs? Do you even know what you're talking about or are you just spouting off at the mouth as usual with whatever assumptions you make up in your pea brain? And so what if the diet did involve consuming bugs? There are plenty of cultures around the world that engage in entomophagy (the consumption of insects). From parts of Africa, to Colombia, to rural Thailand, and even Australian aboriginies will consume insects for their nutritional content. Every continent has, at some point in the history of mankind, featured a society that regularly practiced entomophagy as commonly as your average fatass American schoolkid will tear into a bag of salted potato crisps. It's not "ew", it's far more common than you realize; and a lot more natural than whatever processed bullshit is in your pantry or refrigeration unit.
    Read Fox's post, she's an archeologist.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HandiAce View Post
    This the reason why I think it is misleading to call the paleo diet one of meats, fruits, and low-carb vegetables. I hear inconsistent reports and archeological records about what our ancestors ate. However, going by common sense, I think a tribe of people needed some reliable source of calories before trying to run down animals. Something like potatoes or beans would have done the trick.
    that's why they ate a LOT of nuts and berries. And, when they could, fruit. That's a reason we're so wired for sweet things. Sugars were hard to come by, but rich in energy, so you really, really wanted them (and the only sugars at the time were fruit). Honestly, until we developed tools that were used in hunting (spears, mainly at first for large fauna), we were scavengers. We ate meat when we could, but not a lot, and it was almost always scraps. When we got tools, all of a sudden we rocked all that shit.

Also, modern people eat maybe 10 different kinds of plants, period? And that's about all you can find in main grocery stores. palaeopeoples knew and regularly ate a HUGE variety of plants. Dandelions, collard greens, lots of random things you can actually find while walking to work (another interesting thing is this movement called "urban foraging", which is basically people going to parks and stuff and picking food to eat for dinner, idk there's a book about it.) In addition to just eating a shit ton of plants, they ate a HUGE variety of meats as well. A LOT of small game. For instance, here in the southeast, the main meat wasn't actually deer, but primarily rabbits and a lot of turtles and freshwater mussels.

This is only vaguely related because I'm sure that with the palaeodiet it doesn't matter what kind of variety you have in meats or greens or things, but it is really interesting.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said that cavemen ate a lot of bugs, but the palaeodiet itself doesn't suggest eating bugs. They just want protein. Bugs are some of the leanest forms of protein, though, if that's what your endgame is.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I said that cavemen ate a lot of bugs, but the palaeodiet itself doesn't suggest eating bugs. They just want protein. Bugs are some of the leanest forms of protein, though, if that's what your endgame is.
    True the diet doesn't suggest it but I was thinking along the lines of what our ancestors ate and they ate a lot of bugs.
    -

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True the diet doesn't suggest it but I was thinking along the lines of what our ancestors ate and they ate a lot of bugs.
    Also eating a lot of bugs is one theory as to why we evolved to walk bipedally (it's a shaky theory and a bit dumb, but still, it exists.) Basically, male apes would take protein to females to get them to fuck, and the ape that brought the most got the best fuckings, so the ape that walked on two legs would carry TWO WHOLE HANDFULS of bugs and was more likely to be able to spread his seed.

Again, that's a dumb theory, but someone came up with it. Probably a primatologist.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'd assume that they also ate various kinds of mushrooms. Weird that they are missing from that list. Mushrooms are high in fiber and protein and there are lots of good dishes around that use them as the main ingredient.

Re: the paleo diet, I've never tried it. The one diet I've discovered that did work well for me involved eating lots of fruits.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bet most of yous on this site already eat certain foods and omit the other. It's a pumped up "diet" aimed at nowadays consumers where protein intake already exceeds the norm, that is, exceeds what body needs for normal functioning, not to mention the obesity rates in certain countries coming from eating foods rich in sugar, etc...

In other words, the paleo diet is just a name, so focusing on the name alone is silly. Besides, this diet is going to vary depending on the source, some will going to eat mushrooms and some won't. This source above eliminates mushrooms and berries if anyone didn't notice yet.

Some practitioners go that far as to eat raw meat after consumption of which they fast for a period of time, to only eat fruits and veggies. It's a diet for fucks sake...

... and the whole point of this diet is eliminating highly processed foods out of your menu.

Hell, I can devise a diet and call is spaceman diet to which the replies on here would be: "how the hell does this bastard Absurd know what spacemen eat and don't it?"

Thing is every diet out there to work and benefit from it, one has to tailor the way it is going to suit your individual needs, adhering to a strict code doesn't work for everyone and in some instances may cause damage/problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
    It must have varied immensely with location. Given the lack of refrigeration and infrastructure for interregional trade in perishable foods the common diets must have been very monotonous and highly seasonal within each region. Which kind of makes the idea of "the" paleo diet kind of questionable.
    Well, it happens this diet emphasises the "pre-agriculture non processed foods", so your point is valid, yes, cavemen didn't have fridges, but it certainly doesn't mean you ought to dress like a caveman, act like a caveman and live like a caveman following the customs(?) that go with it in order to any kind of diet can have an effect on you.

And I'm an electro-mechanic apparently. Sounds like appeal to authority to me.

Don't read me...
    Last edited by Absurd; 05-02-2013 at 10:56 AM.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Grains are processed a lot of the time.
    But, in general, it's not a bad thing to limit wheat grains in your diet.

I cut gluten from my diet, just out of curiosity, and because I decided to actually listen to my body ...and after 5 days many of my symptoms that I've had for over 4 years...and have incapacitated me tremendouly, have diminished, if not vanished (fatigue, dizziness, a host of neurological problems, memory loss, vision problems...). I still have some GI problems though. But I feel great, literally. Best I've felt in years. I eat mostly legumes and watery fruits like grapefruit and cantaloupe, rice or rice noodles, leafy greens, nuts, especially walnuts, and usually just meat at one meal a day...usually chicken or fish at dinnertime. Very small amounts of dairy..cottage cheese or a piece of cheese on my broccoli, for example.

I don't feel deprived like I thought I would. I love bread so much haha. But I love how I currently feel more than I love bread.
    Besides, I can still eat bread if it's made with almond flour, for example. And rice/rice noodles/corn/corn tortillas/corn noodles/quinoa/etc are edible still. So it's allll gooood.

Also, olive oil + red wine vinegar = best salad dressing ever.

But yeah, honestly a lot of people have issues with gluten and don't know it. Most people in America eat wayyy too much of it. And they don't need all that energy from carbs if they are sedentary anyway.

The "Paleo Diet" seems a bit like a fad. I understand the approach. But why not just eat healthier, what your body likes, and not slap a label on it.
    Besides, what everyone eats daily is a "diet" already. I think the only way a change like this can be successful is if it's deep-rooted and more of a lifestyle change than thought of as a "diet."
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    This diet is not for me. Fuck diets, in general. lol
    For real. I think the main reason I gained a lot of weight is because I've been yo-yo dieting so much. All diets do for me is put ON weight rather than take it off. I mean i think it's great if you really and truly have the willpower to maintain this sort of thing, but 9 times out of 10 it just doesn't work. Like, ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast