Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: paleo diet?

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to eat a ton of sugar, until one day a couple months ago it started making me nauseous, so I quit eating it and had to readjust my diet to eating first thing when I wake up, and not letting myself go too long without eating or else I'll crave the quick pick-me-up of sugar and pay for it afterwards by feeling sick and having no energy at all the next day, bad skin etc. I can eat some sugar now (and naturally occurring sugar in fruits etc. never was a problem) but I have to be really careful of it or it completely throws me off again. Sometimes I'm sad about it, especially with stuff like ice cream but if I eat just a tiny bit it's okay. A little though can make me want more, so I guess I'm kind of a sugaraholic, where it's better not even to have a little.

Long story short, it's like what some other ppl said already - you have to listen to your body and do what makes you feel good. I don't know why I suddenly had a bad reaction to sugar after years of depending on it for quick energy, but I did start feeling a lot better after readjusting how I ate. Fad diets that don't address your personal food needs aren't much help though imo - unless they happen to align with what you need.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Long story short, it's like what some other ppl said already - you have to listen to your body and do what makes you feel good. I don't know why I suddenly had a bad reaction to sugar after years of depending on it for quick energy, but I did start feeling a lot better after readjusting how I ate. Fad diets that don't address your personal food needs aren't much help though imo - unless they happen to align with what you need.
    Yeah. Self-imposed diets are not the best way to go about being healthier. I also dislike those diets where COMPLETE avoidance of certain foods has to be done like its about being a "pure" human being. An example would be the whole raw food/raw vegan movement where people eat a 100% raw food diet and ALL cooked foods are verboten. It's not that raw foods are unhealthy. In fact, I'm all for increasing the amount of raw veggies and fruit in my diet, especially in the summer. It just isn't for me to do it 100%. Do I have to be an athlete and train everyday to become a faster runner?

Absurd: You Ti dominants sure say things I don't really know where to put.
    labtard: fml
    Absurd: Hah.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it works for me... when i actually manage to stick to it, lol. paleo <3

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    This diet is not for me. Fuck diets, in general. lol

I am trying to eat healthier though, and have taken a few tips from it. I try my best to stay away from processed foods. I've switched from regular milk to coconut or almond milk, the only bread I buy is Ezekiel bread, I make sure most of my meals are clean and fresh and I will only snack on fruit, nuts or raw veggies. I feel amazing now, my skin has never looked better.

A few months ago my skin was breaking out for absolutely no reason. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I was slacking on my diet because I was doing anything I could to gain weight. Lots of juice and soda, ramen, pasta, pizza... absolute junk. Little to no weight gain, as well. Now that I've made major changes in my food choices, my skin rarely breaks out or looks as if its drowning in oil. The little brown scars are fading as well. Now that I've been eating healthy and lifting weights I'm actually gaining the weight rather quickly, and better yet, it's definitely muscle weight rather than fat. I recently started yoga as well, and I feel like that's doing wonders for the way I feel.
    I found that when I eat MORE paleo diet-like, but not STRICTLY paleo, it's pretty good. Gotta be comfortable with what you're doing...

Absurd: You Ti dominants sure say things I don't really know where to put.
    labtard: fml
    Absurd: Hah.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apologize in advance, I'm reviving old threads:

-I've done paleo for a few months. I've read Mark Sissons' work. I've also followed Robb Wolf's commentaries & podcasts, and think he words it best: "If you suspect something is not good for you, remove it from your diet for 30 days and see how you feel." I think paleo aims to teach people to pay attention to the quality of their food, and to help identify whether or not you are sensitive autoimmune diseases via exposure to gluten, dairy, and legumes.

Whether or not paleo is sustainable or makes sense to you is the question. Just as we all function under different socionic types, our biological chemistries are different and react differently to foods.

I personally think processed and artificial foods DOES turn us into addicts. I don't think we were made for eating that stuff. When it comes to gluten, and legumes, or dairy, I think some can get away with it more than others. The problem with paleo isn't the concept, but that people tend to take it to the extreme and start eating bacon with avocados day in and day out, which might be a slight improvement in quality of food (if you're removing some of the toxins), but certainly not quantity.

I've found more success with the bodybuilder diet, to be honest. Eat clean, remove processed foods, limit sugars. Stick to lean meats, healthy and unprocessed complex carbs, whole fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, nuts, and berries. Drink lots of water, add in lemon when you can.

I do however believe in Mark Sisson's concepts for health & happiness, which is essentially his blueprint for living:

1) Eat animals
    2) Move around at a slow pace
    3) Lift Heavy Things
    4) Run fast every once in awhile
    5) Get plenty of sleep
    6) Play
    7) Get sunlight every day
    8) Avoid trauma
    9) Avoid poisonous things
    10) Use your Mind
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
    I do however believe in Mark Sisson's concepts for health & happiness, which is essentially his blueprint for living:

1) Eat animals
    2) Move around at a slow pace
    3) Lift Heavy Things
    4) Run fast every once in awhile
    5) Get plenty of sleep
    6) Play
    7) Get sunlight every day
    8) Avoid trauma
    9) Avoid poisonous things
    10) Use your Mind
    Me too
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to mention, I found that after 3 months of paleo or so that I had a bad reaction to dairy. When I re-introduced it, my face would break out horribly. I've since removed milk and severely limited any exposure to cheese, and it's cleaned up my skin nicely.

I never thought I could drink coffee without milk or cream, but have learned to over the course of a year or so.

Also, pizza is my kryptonite, so I've just tried to eat smaller amounts when I do indulge.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12