TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Psych The Musical

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/psych/

what types are Shawn and Gus? I vote ESFp for Shawn... Peter suggested ENTp.

Remember that you can't use his "gift" to type him.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watch the show. it's on fridays.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or watch the premier episode on the website I linked to
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*taps fingers*

I wanna know this character's type (yes, I know character's aren't people)

anyways, he's got a pretty distinct personality, so it shouldn't be too tough
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENFp is my guess. for sure, though. He's got the "I'll do anything to avoid boredom" thing going on.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definitely Se > Si and Ni > Ne

he's all about the cause and effect relationships... I can see an arguement for Ne in the fact that he's had like 60 jobs, but I don't think that's Ne exclusive :wink:

Fe vs. Fi and Te vs. Ti aren't as obvious... but I think Fi > Fe
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTps see cause and effect in everything ALL THE TIME CONSTANTLY.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne is more about possibilities, Ni is more about cause and effect relationships. Ni sees how an event will affect coming events.
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well then I guess you can never use because every thought can somehow be connected to cause an effect. ENTps connect dots everywhere.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

potentiality of objects: inherent possibilities, purpose, abilities, talents, content, values

intangible connections between processes separated in time and space: sense of when things might happen, patterns of events, abstract representations of processes

http://socionics.us/theory/information.shtml
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    potentiality of objects: inherent possibilities, purpose, abilities, talents, content, values

intangible connections between processes separated in time and space: sense of when things might happen, patterns of events, abstract representations of processes

http://socionics.us/theory/information.shtml
    What a load of crap. None of that makes any sense. And the more anyone tries to explain it, the more ridiculous they will look. Psych is an ENTp.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shawn Spencer hails from a family of cops, and was fully expected to carry the torch by his father, Henry, who meticulously schooled his son from a very young age in the finer points of detective work. But while Henry made him a detective, he can't make Shawn be a detective.

It soon becomes clear that Shawn's extraordinary powers of observation and deduction are still no match for his overdeveloped sense of fun, as he takes a string of random jobs strictly for enjoyment and entertains himself calling in tips to the police hotline for crimes he sees on television.

And then one night, one of Shawn's tips lead police somewhere he never imagined -- back to him. It seems detectives believe information this accurate could only have come from the inside, and Shawn is the suspect.

Desperate to avoid jail time, Shawn hastily explains that his insight is really second sight - he's a psychic. And though skeptical, the department is impressed and Shawn is hired on as a "psychic consultant".

Immediately enlisting the assistance of his reluctant best friend, Gus, Shawn opens his own agency, PSYCH, taking his talent for detective work -- and fun -- in a new direction.
    SHAWN ... IN HIS OWN WORDS

What's on your playlist?

1. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers: Americano
    2. Jellyfish: Spilt Milk
    3. Mike Doughty: Haughty Melodic
    4. The Friendly Indians: Pure Genius
    5. The Sundays: Reading, Writing and Arithmetic

Three things I couldn't live without:

1. Granada Theater in Santa Barbara
    2. My motorcycle
    3. Oxygen

What's your secret talent?
    I have perfect pitch, which is especially amazing because I'm tone deaf.

What's the craziest thing I've ever done?
    I crashed a Saturday afternoon traffic school.

Worst bet I ever made?
    I once bet Gus that I could drink 15 cups of coffee in the span of a single night. Can you say "doubled over"?

What bad movie do I love most?
    "Captain Ron"

What's your pet peeve?
    Any locked door. And people in restaurants having conversations I can't overhear.

Jessica Alba or Jessica Simpson?
    Alba, all the way. Simpson, if the volume is all the way down.

Jennifer Garner or Jennifer Lopez?
    Garner. Although I could definitely handle spending a day in J-Lo's entourage.

Golf with Tiger Woods or hoop it up with Michael Jordan?
    Can I hoop it up with Tiger Woods?

If it never made me fat or unhealthy, I would eat this the rest of my life:
    Pineapple

Five favorite things in no particular order:

1. TMZ.com
    2. GirlScout cookies
    3. Satellite radio
    4. Santa Barbara's new nickname: "The SB" (it'll catch on)
    5. American guys who use the word "bloke"
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somehow the jokes there are a lot different from how he comes off on the show
    SEE

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been catching up on this show, lately. I find it to be a very, very Alpha show. A lot of the dialogue could have been lifted directly from gatherings of a group of Alphas I know. In particular, the way in which Shawn and Gus build off of each other's jokes and create in-jokes is very familiar. I love it.

Shawn: ILE. I resisted this typing for quite a while, because Shawn doesn't seem "geeky" enough, and the stereotype of Alpha NTs is that they're big dorky nerds. However, I'm beginning to identify a "clown" variety of ILE, which forsakes nerdy discussions of computers and physics in favour of joking around and being funny. I would say that Craig Ferguson and Shay Carl are examples of this "subtype" of ILE. I'm not sure if it directly correlates with any actual subtype, though.

Gus: LII. Gus was much easier to identify. He plays the straight man to Shawn's clown, a dynamic I've observed in other LII-ILE duos. In fact, I would go so far as to say the entire "funny man/straight man" trope is based on the EP/IJ temperaments. Gus is often concerned about the "proper" course of action (IJ), but he also frequently goes along with Shawn's jokes (Ne, Fe-valuing).

Shawn's Dad: I want to say LSI, but that would make him Shawn's Supervisee, and I'm not sure that's the relationship portrayed in the show. He's clearly some kind of ST, though.

Juliet: Alpha SF, and probably SEI. She does seem somewhat more reserved than your typical ESE.

Lassiter: Not sure. I think he's a Logical Extravert of some kind.

Anyone else have opinions?
    Quaero Veritas.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post

What does this summary of Ni have to do with Introversion (as in, pertaining to perception of subjective events)? I know the "connections=fields" spiel, but imo this description does nothing to illustrate the distinction.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entp, common anything to avoid boredom and his constant connecting the dots is textbook ILE. Those descriptions are theoretical underpinnings inside a person. And the show IS very alpha.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts on the other characters? Shawn's dad in particular.
    Quaero Veritas.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Shawn: ILE. I resisted this typing for quite a while, because Shawn doesn't seem "geeky" enough, and the stereotype of Alpha NTs is that they're big dorky nerds. However, I'm beginning to identify a "clown" variety of ILE, which forsakes nerdy discussions of computers and physics in favour of joking around and being funny. I would say that Craig Ferguson and Shay Carl are examples of this "subtype" of ILE. I'm not sure if it directly correlates with any actual subtype, though.

Gus: LII. Gus was much easier to identify. He plays the straight man to Shawn's clown, a dynamic I've observed in other LII-ILE duos. In fact, I would go so far as to say the entire "funny man/straight man" trope is based on the EP/IJ temperaments. Gus is often concerned about the "proper" course of action (IJ), but he also frequently goes along with Shawn's jokes (Ne, Fe-valuing).
    I don't really watch the show but I wanted to note that I have also noted that "subtype" of ILE. I tend to identify ILEs by finding the Fi-polr (which I feel like I'm pretty good at noticing, and I think it's very prominent with the "clown" subtype, as in Craig Ferguson) and then figuring out that they're not SLE (which is occasionally misleading but usually really obvious). Also agreed that funny man/straight man is an EP/IJ sort of thing archetypally, although many successful funny man/straight man duos are not EP/IJ.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome -- it always feels good to find that someone else has independently come to the same conclusions. Either both have found the truth, or both have made the same mistake; either way it's comforting.
    Quaero Veritas.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Shawn: ILE.
    that's what i thought from the few episodes i saw.