Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTP or INFP?

Default INTP or INFP?

I've taken the myers-briggs test about 5 times already and have gotten different results, the latest being INTP after tons of tweaking and thinking, but have went back and forth between INTP and INFP and it is a very close call. But I think a lot(overthink things through/contemplate a lot) leading me to lean towards a T a little more than an F, although I have some F characteristics. The 3 questions that seemed to be the tipping point between an F and a T was "You are strongly touched by stories about people's troubles" which really was in the middle for me; I can get moved slightly if it's something I think is really fucked up, but then again, people tend to exaggerate about their issues sometimes which can annoy me, so sometimes I just brush it off. Then there was about me sympathizing with other people, it was worded as "you tend to sympathize" which isn't always the case, sometimes I can't relate to how someone is feeling because of my differing from the norm persona, then again, other times I can, so I'd say I'm in the middle there as well. The interesting thing though is that there was a similar question asking if I empathized with other people's concerns, or from what I can comprehend, is basically understanding and feeling concern or sadness to someone's issues (something psychologists are good at? just an ametur perception) which I am actually somewhat decent at. The last one was my emotions affecting my actions, which is usually the case unless I push myself, in which sometimes I have no choice. But overall, I would lean towards that being a yes, that my emotions affect my short term actions, but not long term.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this personality type stuff, I just got into it. But here's a little about me:

I overthink everything, and am always looking for answers and solutions.
    I can percieve how certain things may develop over time.
    I am anti generic/conventional, and differ from the norm in terms of feeling and insight.
    I can get emotionally attached to people I admire easily.
    I am slightly scatterbrained (could be fueled by ADHD/anxiety)
    I love to experiment with my activities and interests (like music and cooking) I am reserved in general, with minor spurts of extraversion.
    I have a crude and at times offensive sense of humor, yet trying to develop it into a more insightful and intiuitive sense of humor (think Louis C.K, George Carlin)
    Can describe and percieve emotions and feelings well, and can sympathize well, if I can relate to them. If someone is upset over something that I don't think is really a big deal, I can't relate, therefore I can't sympathize.
    Think society is superficial, shallow, and lacks logic and rationale. Sometimes, while respecting it, can argue or question someone's opinion if I am unsure or disagree.
    Think knowledge is power, and feel like I have to get smarter in order to be more successful and comfortable with myself.
    Interested in philosophy and psychology, and hope to pursue a career in that field in the future.
    Most things seem relative to me (e.g. better late then never)
    Need to get the experience or visual feel of something in order to fully understand it (this applies to hands on skills usually)
    Enjoy having a wide circle of aquaintances, but for the sake of observing them to gain knowledge in my insight for how I feel about society.
    Not very motivated at the moment, due to depression and anxiety.
    Have trouble concentrating, mainly due to depression and anxiety.
    Self conscious.
    Daydream a lot about certain scenarios, and replay certain events in my head over the course of my life occasionally.
    Write everything I think about myself and my feelings down to keep track of my well being.
    I'm slowly becoming more of an emotional person as the years go on (I actually choked up for the first time in public, a couple days ago)
    While it isn't important for me, I do enjoy the idea of fitting in to a group.
    I am very mellow and laid back.
    I am only minorly enthusiastic, its usually only if its something concerning or interests me.
    I joke around a lot and am sarcastic.
    Thinking and contemplating while listening to music gives me immense pleasure, especially during a car ride; I could ride in a car listening to music for a very long time and not get bored.
    Hands on activities and fast paced discussions make me anxious, and I'm not really the biggest fan of small talk, even though I don't mind it.
    I love independent activities like music and cooking where I can contemplate new ideas and experiment, it also acts as a stress reliever.
    I sometimes dictate how I feel.
    I tend to poke fun at certain morals sometimes, especially when it comes to relationships.
    I dislike many people my age, especially more-extraverted types that conclude and judge quickly based off of image, without any rational logic. (Like for example, an E type judging anyone based off of the music they listen to, or what they do for a living)
    I am sometimes inclined, if someone is making themself sound really stupid and narcissistic, to make an extreme comment (for example, if someone says something really stupid to me, I might to tell them to kill themself, even though I don't believe suicide is right)
    I usually make up my mind based on if something makes sense to me, but try to apply a certain amount of logic.
    Usually ask others for insight if I'm not sure about something, but not always trusting of it and can question their insight.

Viewpoints on certain things:

I think society makes our decisions based on how we feel as a whole instead of logic, and I think that's why we have so many issues. Relationships tend to fail due to focusing on feelings more than logic, since the whole "power" thing come into play here. Some people argue their points based on how they feel a lot and when a better logic based standpoint is proved to them, they get arrogant by their feelings and still stand by their opinion.

Politics are bullshit. It's a game of who has more power, instead of what really is right, or a balanced decision.

I won't even bother with religion. I think religious people take their beliefs too seriously, and focus on them instead of actually focusing on their lives and well being.
    (I don't know a lot about religion and politics though, so I am open to gain more knowledge and improve my opinion.)

I think people need to poke fun at certain things more instead of taking things too seriously. It's a fucked up world, laugh at it more. (unless you want to focus on improving it, then you should take it more seriously but not TOO seriously) But we need more laughter.

People should view the glass half empty more, to see what they can improve. People can be too pompous in their half full views, and think they are fine the way they are, therefore, become rigid.

Life should be peaceful, but have polite conflict to spice things up, minus the arrogance, so we can solve problems easier.
    ^Does this make sense? It's still a developing thought.

People need to stop crying over spilled milk, if you know what I mean (i.e. girls dwelling over how one guy may not like them or how they are not accepted, while they are allowed to be dissapointed, they should find their flaws, focus on improving them or find hobbies to distract themselves from the disappointment while making their well being more interesting)

People need to be more open minded and less defensive when it comes to music, even though there are some real disgraces to music out there. People also shouldn't judge a well being based on the type of music they listen to. That is one of the most irrational things to do, in my opinion.

People shouldn't take things like sex so seriously, it's actually a stress reliever and it makes you feel better. However, sex can be emotionally confusing if the age gap is too wide and immaturity comes into play (i.e a 17 year old having sex with a 11 year old, or whatever.)

Also, I took the mypersonality test, and got a more confident INTP result:

53% introverted
    79% intuition
    79% thinking
    68% perceiving

Cognitive quiz results:

Edit: I retook the Jung cognitive functions test:

Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.925
    Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||||||||||||||||| 9.69
    Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||||||||||||||| 7.475
    Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||||||||||||| 6.77
    Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||||| 5.93
    Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||| 4.17
    Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||||||||| 3.57
    Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||||| 3.22

Your Introverted Intuition (Ni) is very developed.
    Your Introverted Thinking (Ti) is very developed.
    Your Extroverted Intuition (Ne) is moderate.
    Your Introverted Sensation (Si) is moderate.
    Your Extroverted Thinking (Te) is moderate.
    Your Introverted Feeling (Fi) is moderate.
    Your Extroverted Sensation (Se) is low.
    Your Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is low.

First couple times I took it, 1st possibility was INTP but that has leaned toward a J with a 2nd possibility of INTP.

Thoughts? (I know you likely won't read all of it, for the TLDR factor)
    Last edited by louiesgonnadie; 12-24-2012 at 08:15 PM.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking to be told your MBTI type, you'll have more luck on Personality Cafe or Typology Central, or any of the other MBTI forums. This is primarily a Socionics forum.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem. So I came here. This is not MBTI but a different brand with a similar foundation.

You are likely an LII. Much of what you are describing sounds like mobilizing Si.

If you are a LII you have a vulernability to Se, that is to say, you withdraw from the world of sensations into thought. When you do this, your inner body state becomes unstable and you become restless and unfocused, and use motion (such as car rides) and music as a tool for further thinking. That is called your mobilization. It is not conscious, so you really cannot control it. It sucks as it makes it hard to be productive.

If you are an LII you should have role function Fi. Your role function is your behavior around strangers. If your Role Function is Fi, you should be very polite to strangers, but you will feel unable to cross the psychological distance to become closer to them, this means people should remain strangers even after you have known them for months or even years. This role function is painful. It leads to your suggestive function which is Fe. You want to be included into other peoples lives, but you cannot strongly state this or make it happen. as a result, you might linger near groups of people wanting to belong. However, you need them to deliberately include you. You come under the "social spell" of others - that is to say they gain "suggestive influence" over you, as you truely need to belong. If you are given a strong sense of belonging (strong Fe) you should bloom and feel able to use your greatest abilities around Fe using people.

I think you are an LII like me. Check out my thread, Ok damn it, what the hell is Fe dual seeking.

Merry Christmas!

Go to wikisocion.org and read the LII article. Go to our article page and read the LII articles, too.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstorm View Post
    I had the same problem. So I came here. This is not MBTI but a different brand with a similar foundation.

You are likely an LII. Much of what you are describing sounds like mobilizing Si.

If you are a LII you have a vulernability to Se, that is to say, you withdraw from the world of sensations into thought. When you do this, your inner body state becomes unstable and you become restless and unfocused, and use motion (such as car rides) and music as a tool for further thinking. That is called your mobilization. It is not conscious, so you really cannot control it. It sucks as it makes it hard to be productive.

If you are an LII you should have role function Fi. Your role function is your behavior around strangers. If your Role Function is Fi, you should be very polite to strangers, but you will feel unable to cross the psychological distance to become closer to them, this means people should remain strangers even after you have known them for months or even years. This role function is painful. It leads to your suggestive function which is Fe. You want to be included into other peoples lives, but you cannot strongly state this or make it happen. as a result, you might linger near groups of people wanting to belong. However, you need them to deliberately include you. You come under the "social spell" of others - that is to say they gain "suggestive influence" over you, as you truely need to belong. If you are given a strong sense of belonging (strong Fe) you should bloom and feel able to use your greatest abilities around Fe using people.

I think you are an LII like me. Check out my thread, Ok damn it, what the hell is Fe dual seeking.

Merry Christmas!

Go to wikisocion.org and read the LII article. Go to our article page and read the LII articles, too.
    I personally feel I am a little more perceptive. That's just me though.

I did take this to PerC, though.

And being how you seem to rely on the Socionics, I took it and got ILI.

Merry Christmas to you too, even though I find the holidays kind of pointless.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I test as an ILI too... I do not trust the tests.

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Interesting. Hmm.

Okay, The bolded is totally me, though, Damn. I thought I was the only one. I can listen to music during car rides for hours on end, it generates my thoughts so well.

Would it be possible to be an LII INTP? I am becoming increasingly perceptive, after all.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean LII in socionics and INTP in Meyers Briggs? Yeah. Easily.

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Do you mean LII in socionics and INTP in Meyers Briggs? Yeah. Easily.
    Because I got INTP on the MBTI and on MyPersonality.

Maybe I am INTP after all. Although I was leaning towards INFP earlier today for other reasons.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be possible to be an LII INTP?
    yes, this is very common. i am one of these as well.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings, meatbot. Stand by for inspection and instruction.

Task 1:

Extemporaneously and without consulting one or more reference sources, present your conception of an organism.

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    Greetings, meatbot. Stand by for inspection and instruction.

Task 1:
    Extemporaneously and without consulting one or more reference sources, present your conception of an organism.
    Do you mean summarize myself as a whole in general? I'm confused.

I also forgot to mention that I do feel lonely a lot, and crave friendship/or relationship, but will analyze quickly and my views on them will differ once I get to know people better. I have a mainly negative view on people my age, and feel uncomfortable at the idea of befriending older people.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    Do you mean summarize myself as a whole in general? I'm confused.
    I said conception of an organism, not conception as an organism.

An organism is a living thing, or any living thing at that.

Now what?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An organism is a living thing, or any living thing at that.
    If an organism is a living thing, how does it survive?

If an organism is a living thing, how does it survive?
    I just started studying this so I don't really have a long-term factual knowledge of this, but it usually depends on the type of environment it is in, and depending on which environment, it may grow a certain adaption to increase the chances of survival.

May not have explained that right.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be possible to be an LII INTP? I am becoming increasingly perceptive, after all.
    As it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    As it should be.
    Are you saying I should be an LII INTP, or all INTPs should be LII?

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you saying I should be an LII INTP, or all INTPs should be LII?
    LII INTP should correlate.

I'm a little confused about my functions, earlier I was leaning towards Ti+Ne based on a couple of general definitions, but I am looking into it deeper and at times I feel like I encounter situations and use Te+Ni as well. Even though, anxiety disorders have fucked up my way of thinking and interacting with people and you have to factor in ADHD as well.

I would guess I was more Ne when I was a kid though, I loved making forts and drawing, and when I was 4 I built my own plumbing system of some sort (out of paper of course), I'm not sure how though. Then due to my unfortunate situation I may have been forced to develop some sort of Ni. MAYBE. I'm still mulling it over.

Oh, and here's some more detail:

I tend to use Ni (I think) when I am concerned about something. I tend to experiment here.
    I tend to use Ne (I think) when I am interested about something. I can come up with all these ideas, maybe a little slower than some people use Ne (unless I may be also concerned/interested, then I'm not sure whether I use Ne/Ni)

Keep in mind anxiety disorders fucked up my thought processing system for a while, so when I'm comfortable things could be different. I DO really like the idea of getting other people's perspectives, and applying my knowledge to them to improve them if gaps need to be filled.

I came up with a joke about ass-burgers (Aspergers) using Ti (I'm guessing) one day in the shower, and am wondering if it is more Ne/Ni based (Could have an Si/Se relationship too, and I'm still working on it, so...)

When you are in your childhood, you have lots of chunks of burger patties stuck in the intestines. About the time you reach puberty, you start to poop chunks of it out. Depending on the severity of your assburgers, determines the thickness of the patty and how much you poop out (if you are more mild, it is easier to poop most of the patty out, but there are still some chunks left in your intestines, so you still may appear awkward at times in different ways; if you have a more moderate or severe case, it is harder to poop it out, therefore explaining awkward mannerisms, like clumsiness, bouts of anger, etc.)

Keep in mind I'm still working on that joke so....yeah.

(Could I get the ban for posting that? Hmm....)
    Last edited by louiesgonnadie; 12-25-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started studying this so I don't really have a long-term factual knowledge of this, but it usually depends on the type of environment it is in, and depending on which environment, it may grow a certain adaption to increase the chances of survival.

May not have explained that right.
    That's pretty boring. What else do you know?

That's pretty boring. What else do you know?
    I mean I could look into it further, but you told me not to use any reference points. So I pulled it all out of my brain.

Should I analyze further based on what I know? Or should I seek out more factual knowledge to increase my accuracy and interest in a definition? (does that make sense?)

Merry Christmas!

Oh, and I checked out your thread. Quoting a portion of your OP:

"I will start off by saying that I do have a strong desire for certain people to participate in my theoretical musings."

DUDE!!!!!!!!! This sounds exactly like me. I think that's why I posted this thread.

Yes. Proceed.
    This might sound stupid, and I don't really know a lot more, but an organism such as deer are in a colder, more wintry environment, they start to grow thicker fur, and the thinner-fur deer start deducting, increasing the chances of thick furred deer in such an environment, before all deer have thick fur in a colder environment because it is essential for them to survive in those conditions, thanks to this adaptation.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might sound stupid, and I don't really know a lot more, but an organism such as deer are in a colder, more wintry environment, they start to grow thicker fur, and the thinner-fur deer start deducting, increasing the chances of thick furred deer in such an environment, before all deer have thick fur in a colder environment because it is essential for them to survive in those conditions, thanks to this adaptation.
    OK, thanks. Let's say that this process you've described is a universal law of nature. If it were your responsibility to give that natural law a name so that it could be labeled, communicated and discussed, what would that name be, and why?

OK, thanks. Let's say that this process you've described is a universal law of nature. If it were your responsibility to give that natural law a name so that it could be labeled, communicated and discussed, what would that name be, and why?
    This is raw, but:

"Survival Skin" makes the most sense to me (just based off of what I know) because it determines what type of environment conditions you should be in. So for example, if you were a thick skinned deer, you would have to be placed in a colder environment since if you were in a more humid/warmer environment you would run the risk of overheating.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is raw, but:

"Survival Skin" makes the most sense to me (just based off of what I know) because it determines what type of environment conditions you should be in. So for example, if you were a thick skinned deer, you would have to be placed in a colder environment since if you were in a more humid/warmer environment you would run the risk of overheating.
    I see. And what is the entity responsible for this placing of things — like deer — in certain locations and not others?

I see. And what is the entity responsible for this placing of things — like deer — in certain locations and not others?
    I'm torn between fur, the weather, and adaption.

Fur because it acts as a support system for it's well being.
    The weather because it is the judge of all environments.
    Adaption because IT determines where it goes.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm torn between fur, the weather, and adaption.

Fur because it acts as a support system for it's well being.
    The weather because it is the judge of all environments.
    Adaption because IT determines where it goes.
    IEI > ILI

IEI > ILI
    Could you give me a reasoning based on your conclusion? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you give me a reasoning based on your conclusion? Thanks in advance.
    Certain disconnects in our communication lead me to think that you and I are not of the same sociotype. You proposed that you are either ILI or IEI. I selected one type by eliminating the other. As to whether your mentality actually aligns with IEI values (or any of 14 other sociotypes), I'll leave that to you to determine.

To that end, I recommend http://socionics.us for learning basic theory. I also suggest wading into threads here and getting a little smut on your mitts. Doing so will improve your mental digestion of socionics and raise your public profile, attracting like-minded persons in the process and drawing ever-so-occasional commentary from other forumites on your truest of true types.

I'm going to update this thread, just out of curiosity.

I have concluded I have an Ne preference recently, the possible biggest reason because I come up with multiple possibilities of a situation, how someone will react to something, etc. either over time or close all at once, and always consider them as possible. I have understood the cognitive functions better and have thought the INTp (ILI/LII) cognitive lineup fits best with me (I definitely feel like I'm Ti-dom) however, and I'm just speculating here, I have suffered from depression, and that has helped me realize different kinds of emotions of all sorts, so that may have tied me to my inferior Fe a little more, or if you will, it feels like it is more developed than normal for an INTp/ILI my age (I can read emotions well, I can express my emotions pretty well sometimes, usually depending on my mood). This has caused me to consider INFj (not sure what that correlates to in socionics) as well, but I don't feel like I correlate well with the function lineup, and I don't think I'm Ni-dom (even though I relate to some Ni traits, like envisioning transformations). So I'm leaning ILI at the moment.

I also posted 3 videos describing myself and my viewpoints of certain things, so this could be a clearer reference in terms of getting a better idea of my type. Oh, and I'll mention I'm a little awkward.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Hello

UMMM nice thread
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Video challenge", hmm. Suppose you succeed at this challenge, what is the reward? A dog most suited to your type, perhaps.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default video 2

Suffering from beating it to factor in complex basslines and anxiety speaking for itself. So...

Self-consciously walking cannot be maintained at all times without danger in a comfortable t-shirt.

The revelation of flannel.

Metamorphosis! A cool appearance is cool.

Outer-boxistic thinkinz, not inwise but outwise boxically.

Hypothetical burger mnemonics catalyzing secure meals which themselves also doesn't inboxside.

Could but developing.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, the trash truck outside my window has departed with its heavy clattering, and now we will examine movie three.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hair by ******?: LIVEBLOBGING VIDEO IIV

People, sniffing. Music, cooking, dogs...I guess.

KNOWLEDGE! Cannot if don't but do if do.

Enjoy gaining mind better life better because knowledge because obviously: no limit.

I wouldn't.

Skull soul is close enough to love travel.

What? FOR AYN!!!

Crazy boring thoughts about everything.

Future pasting the I.

UNREMEMBERED SYSTEMS????

Kindergarten devil screams "HI!"

Thinking away from humans inside a room outside a box.

Exterior non-Legos.

Goodnight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast