Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Versus the World

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Apple Versus the World

Is there any truth that betas prefer Steve Jobs, and Te egos prefer Bill Gates and Google and such? Do you have specific reasons you prefer Apple products versus Android and everything else?

I am recently gifted an iPhone and I'm hoping to get used to it. Somehow it feels clunky and inefficient compared to my Android. I get that Apple products come together in a unified vision, though, cause it seems kinda hostile to my PC and third party apps I try to use. I understand that I should use iTunes and other specific programs to support it?

I only thought that this seems nazi and fascist compared to Windows and Android where the third party developers do a lot of the work. Will I eventually begin to appreciate the iPhone? How best to use it?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not type related.

Apple is "Beta-esque" because its dominant generative influence was Beta, but I don't think people's interest in the products tends to correlate with any Socionics-related phenomena.

I have a pretty good stance on this considering that I sell these products.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes; betas like Steve jobs because he's driven; they take the ideas and convert them into realistic models.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh?
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm just like half-amish or something, but I never got why apple was so godawesome. In a way I guess I just thought this was a weird inverse-hipsterish thing where apple products are cool and wow let me take a picture of you using my old style camera phone whilst I look up rotary phone antique shops in this here yellow pages.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fuck iTunes; I use GTKpod and run Lubuntu, works awesome w my iPod

And yeah, I got Steve Jobs as some kinda EIE, I made a bigass post about it somewhere here...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i like Android. I'm not totally thrilled with everything google but i use it a lot. my only significant experience with apple is itunes, so, blech

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WinXP: Does what I want more often than not.
    MacOSX: Nice features.
    Apple hardware: Whatever. Dorky brand cult is asinine.
    Apple software: iTunes and Quicktime can kiss my ass.
    Linux: Flexible but more hassle than I want sometimes.
    Android: No complaints.
    Guiding personalities at MS, Apple, and Google: Who fucking cares.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically. Apple, as in the corporation, is the god of marketing. There exists no company that is better at marketing or product branding then them. They even teach classes on marketing, and let me tell you, I've never been to one, but if you want to learn about marketing those are exactly the classes you need to take. That being said, Apple does not allow you to tinker. Or rather they make it really hard, and if you want to fool around with the insides or the software of their products. Apple will void every warranty you have. So if you want to tinker, you need to be really really careful with Apple, cause they do decidedly not want you to tinker.

Windows doesn't care at all if you tinker. Tinkering with windows is hard, they make it not easy on purpose. But they won't take away your warranties if you do.

Linux? Linux is probably the OS that makes tinkering the easiest.

So, all this in mind. Apple products are the ones you need to tinker with the least, they design them so that you don't need to do much tinkering in order to get what you want. You just need to give them some money and everything will be ok for you.

Windows, you do need to tinker with a little bit. Not much though. So you don't need to give windows much money when you tinker, and also if you are ok with being a pirate, most of the windows tinkering you can do has already been figured out by someone and is free on the internet.

Linux is the OS that you absolutely must tinker with but for the most part you're on your own with linux, linux is likely not going to have any answers prepared for you on the internet machines. They're out there, but if you don't know what you're doing linux is basically free hard mode.

Personally? I use windows and android products mostly, as I love tinkering and they encourage it for a small fee. That being said, when I get money, I know for a fact that apple does in fact make some pretty awesome MP3 players. Even if they don't want me to tinker with them. Plus, there is a lot of free software out there that helps you tinker with Apple MP3 players if you need to.

In sum. Phone/computer? Andriod/windows. MP3 player or music? Go full on Apple.

Know that if you must, you can tinker with Apple stuff, but they make it pretty hard for you.
    Easy Day

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Basically. Apple, as in the corporation, is the god of marketing. There exists no company that is better at marketing or product branding then them. They even teach classes on marketing, and let me tell you, I've never been to one, but if you want to learn about marketing those are exactly the classes you need to take. That being said, Apple does not allow you to tinker. Or rather they make it really hard, and if you want to fool around with the insides or the software of their products. Apple will void every warranty you have. So if you want to tinker, you need to be really really careful with Apple, cause they do decidedly not want you to tinker.

Windows doesn't care at all if you tinker. Tinkering with windows is hard, they make it not easy on purpose. But they won't take away your warranties if you do.

Linux? Linux is probably the OS that makes tinkering the easiest.

So, all this in mind. Apple products are the ones you need to tinker with the least, they design them so that you don't need to do much tinkering in order to get what you want. You just need to give them some money and everything will be ok for you.

Windows, you do need to tinker with a little bit. Not much though. So you don't need to give windows much money when you tinker, and also if you are ok with being a pirate, most of the windows tinkering you can do has already been figured out by someone and is free on the internet.

Linux is the OS that you absolutely must tinker with but for the most part you're on your own with linux, linux is likely not going to have any answers prepared for you on the internet machines. They're out there, but if you don't know what you're doing linux is basically free hard mode.

Personally? I use windows and android products mostly, as I love tinkering and they encourage it for a small fee. That being said, when I get money, I know for a fact that apple does in fact make some pretty awesome MP3 players. Even if they don't want me to tinker with them. Plus, there is a lot of free software out there that helps you tinker with Apple MP3 players if you need to.

In sum. Phone/computer? Andriod/windows. MP3 player or music? Go full on Apple.

Know that if you must, you can tinker with Apple stuff, but they make it pretty hard for you.
    Android MP3 players are much better. Look into the Cowon J3, sounds better than any iPod with more features, better equalizer, plus the customizability of Android.

Or you could say fuck em all and get a Nexus 4, which is a phone with a decent MP3 player built right in. Its not as good as Cowons when it comes to sound, but its easily as good as an iPod classic, maybe better. Im something of an audiophile and it satisfies as my primary source. That's what I'm typing this post from, and it has essentially replaced my computer for everything but torrents (which it can actually do), watching movies, backing stuff up, and a couple of games.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Apple vs Microsoft/Google I've found is largely a matter of Aristocratic quadra vs Democratic quadra.

There is a large cluster of users who prefer Apple that are aristocratic and a large cluster of users who prefer Microsoft/Google who are democratic.

I've written posts about this before, but I observe that the different clubs cluster to collaborate. Apple is largely a fashion company(NF clustering) while Microsoft and Google are largely research companies(NT)."

I don't find Apple's process to be much different than Yves Saint Laurent, Dior or Dolce and Gabbana. You can even see the similarity in commercials. Microsoft does essentially Gap and Old Navy commercials. Their new Window's 8 Commercial is similar to a Gap dancing commercial from a few years back.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hate Apple with a burning passion

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing I've ever liked by apple is their music devices. And I don't even use mine anymore, since I can just use and app like Pandora or Spotify on my Android phone.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never bought an Apple product and I don't intend to do that in the future. I dislike the brand because it's typically used as a status symbol by pretentious idiots. (I'm NOT saying that all Apple customers are pretentious idiots.) However, the company actively strives to establish the image also by constant self-aggrandizement ("genius bar" ect.) and ads ("Look how our headphones fit into your ears!!! We're so fucking smart!"). Actually, I wonder why owning an apple product is still considered to be cool even though it's so widely spread by now.

Even if I don't like Apple, I don't feel any special connection to Microsoft or Google, either. I use Microsoft Windows because I'm used to it. Other than that, I own an no-name mp3-player which is already broken but I don't feel like replacing it with another crappy player. I have a Nokia phone (not a smartphone) for practical reasons only.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    Fuck iTunes
    Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    iTunes and Quicktime can kiss my ass.
    I'm going to chip in.

Linux: Flexible but more hassle than I want sometimes.
    Crap shit, bothered the hell out of me when I wanted to "get drunk", I had to build a pub instead of going to one. Not very time friendly.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Android MP3 players are much better. Look into the Cowon J3, sounds better than any iPod with more features, better equalizer, plus the customizability of Android.

Or you could say fuck em all and get a Nexus 4, which is a phone with a decent MP3 player built right in. Its not as good as Cowons when it comes to sound, but its easily as good as an iPod classic, maybe better. Im something of an audiophile and it satisfies as my primary source. That's what I'm typing this post from, and it has essentially replaced my computer for everything but torrents (which it can actually do), watching movies, backing stuff up, and a couple of games.
    No way, andriod finally went into mp3 players? Why did no one tell me sooner?!
    Easy Day

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    No way, andriod finally went into mp3 players? Why did no one tell me sooner?!
    The original Galaxy players were released like 2 or 3 years ago...I believe the earliest ones had a good audio chip, but they've declined in quality, like iPods, likely due to the increased value of the Galay brand name...like iPods.

But yeah the Cowon players are top notch, and around the same price or cheaper than comparable iPods, which do not have expandable storage, and are only compatible with iTunes.

If you wanna go for top of the line for Android MP3 players, take a look at the iBasso DX100. Can drive all but the most power-hungry high-end headphones, and reproduces true 24-bit studio-quality audio.

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=78

PS Fuck Apple
    Last edited by Gilly; 12-20-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-pikachu

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    I have never bought an Apple product and I don't intend to do that in the future. I dislike the brand because it's typically used as a status symbol by pretentious idiots. (I'm NOT saying that all Apple customers are pretentious idiots.) However, the company actively strives to establish the image also by constant self-aggrandizement ("genius bar" ect.) and ads ("Look how our headphones fit into your ears!!! We're so fucking smart!"). Actually, I wonder why owning an apple product is still considered to be cool even though it's so widely spread by now.

Even if I don't like Apple, I don't feel any special connection to Microsoft or Google, either. I use Microsoft Windows because I'm used to it. Other than that, I own an no-name mp3-player which is already broken but I don't feel like replacing it with another crappy player. I have a Nokia phone (not a smartphone) for practical reasons only.
    Amen.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

It's easier to use and they don't get viruses; I'll take the status symbol image for the efficiency.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watch this video without getting angry. i dare you.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    watch this video without getting angry. i dare you.

Easy. Just imagine they're talking you.

(I watched this on my ipad.)
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer apple simply because the OS is better. No muss, no fuss. It works better and the over all feel is much less kindergarten than Windows. They also tend to get their shit right so when you update the OS you can pretty much assume that the update is going to be fine. Basically I like apple because they finish their shit.

Microsoft is inefficient as a company and is always releasing software too early in a desperate attempt to keep their head above water.

I've also found that apple products ware better than most PCs I've had. You can knock 'em around a bit more, which is important because I'm a klutz. I've had TWO coke spills on my current laptop and she still works like a champ. My last PC (a think pad) died when it fell two feet off the bed in a padded case.

The biggest reason I prefer apple though is that the resale value (especially here in Mexico) is ten times that of a comparable pc.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    The biggest reason I prefer apple though is that the resale value (especially here in Mexico) is ten times that of a comparable pc.
    Lenovo Y580 -1000 (One of the top PC laptops right now)

vs

Comparable Mac Book Pro - 2199 minimum

And that's without the retina display. I don't need to "resell" my laptop because I didn't pay a arm and a leg for it. I generally give it to someone who could use it for free.

A lot of Mac users buy a 2200 piece of kit and do basic web surfing and email. Buying a Apple product is essentially buying the Coach bag of IT, it's somewhat better, but ultimately a luxury fashion item which people pay a premium for. Hey, it's no biggie to buy a luxury fashion item, I think there is a place for that, but effectively, it is the same thing. The stores are even laid out like Versace/Gucci/Prada/Coach.

I think Apple sets a lot of good trends in design and build quality(and some bad ones), but I'm not a huge consumer of luxury goods, and I prefer every-man tools which gives me the right skill-set in dealing with my profession.

Hey, I like my Dolce/Gabbana cologne and my YLS cologne, the entry-level luxury car I drive and my Aveda tinted moisturizer, but I know that the premium I pay for it isn't likely to be worth it, except maybe from a status/emotional standpoint.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defensive much? My god it's a piece of hardware, you putz.

A.) you don't HAVE to buy it with a retina display.
    B.) the Lenovo you mention has completely different specification than the current MacBook pros.
    C.) I don't give a flying fuck if YOU need to need to resell your laptop. I do. A mac retains its value. A pc is worthless.
    D.) only dipshits buy ANYTHING at market value.

Judging by your piss poor maintenance of this site you don't know much about what works and what doesn't technology wise.
    Last edited by Scapegrace; 12-21-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Defensive much? My god it's a piece of hardware, you putz.

A.) you don't HAVE to buy it with a retina display.
    B.) the Lenovo you mention has completely different specification than the current MacBook pros.
    C.) I don't give a flying fuck if YOU need to need to resell your laptop. I do. A mac retains its value. A pc is worthless.
    D.) only dipshits buy ANYTHING at market value.

Judging by your piss poor maintenance of this site you don't know much about what works and what doesn't technology wise.
    You're the one being defensive. I'm analyzing the economics and reasoning behind the pricing and quadra dynamics of Apple.

A PC is a piece of hardware, a Mac Book is a fashion statement. The difference in cost is not hardware related. You just choose to buy a Mac book Pro instead of Fendi/Coach bag. Tee Hee (^_^)

A. It's the same price with or without the retina display.
    B. They're both Core I7 laptops with 8 gigs of ram and 500gb-1TB hard drives, the lenovo has a faster Graphics processor and some of the macbooks better cpu, the Lenovo with 1080p screen has better resolution then the non retina macbooks.
    C. Well, you better sell it for > 1000 then since that's the minimum price difference.
    D. Yea, you don't have to get anything at market value, theres always a sale or whatever.

I mean it's cool to buy a Fendi/Coach bag or an Armani suit if that's what your tastes are, I don't see any problems with buying a Mac Book either. I'm just highlighting the way Apples makes money, which is as a fashion luxury goods maker.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    You're the one being defensive.

A PC is a piece of hardware, a Mac Book is a fashion statement. The difference in cost is not hardware related. You just choose to buy a Mac book Pro instead of Fendi/Coach bag. Tee Hee (^_^)

A. It's the same price with or without the retina display.
    B. They're both Core I7 laptops with 8 gigs of ram and 500gb-1TB hard drives, the lenovo has a faster Graphics processor and some of the macbooks better cpu, the Lenovo with 1080p screen has better resolution then the non retina macbooks.
    C. Well, you better sell it for > 1000 then since that's the minimum price difference.
    D. Yea, you don't have to get anything at market value, theres always a sale or whatever.

I mean it's cool to buy a Fendi/Coach bag or an Armani suit if that's what your tastes are, I don't see any problems with buying a Mac Book either. I'm just highlighting the way Apples makes money, which is as a fashion luxury goods maker.
    It insults me when someone says I am making a fashion statement when I am about as cheap and plain Jane as it gets. I don't even wear make up because I think it's stupidly expensive.

A.) not it is not. http://store.apple.com/us-k12/browse...ly/macbook_pro you could have googled that shit in three seconds. Instead you look like a dolt.
    B.) the MacBook Pro has a faster processor.

You're living in 1999. Macs are no longer more expensive.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...it_all_add_up_
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech.../tests/4258725
    http://technologizer.com/2010/02/27/pc-or-mac/

So for me it really comes down to OS preference. I prefer OS X. That and resale value. Since I can sell my Mac for a profit in Mexico a year after I buy it for a steep discount in the States. I constantly have an up to date computer AND I make money.

Just to make it clear that it's *reallly* about the OS a few years ago I had an MSI wind "hackintosh," which I was quite happy with. No apple logo included.
    Last edited by Scapegrace; 12-21-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've also found that apple products ware better than most PCs I've had. You can knock 'em around a bit more, which is important because I'm a klutz. I've had TWO coke spills on my current laptop and she still works like a champ. My last PC (a think pad) died when it fell two feet off the bed in a padded case.

I spilled beer/vodka and instant soup on it, fell down the stairs with mine(laptop), and after a "major repair", it still works. Can your Apple do that vs. my Toshiba?

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I spilled beer/vodka and instant soup on it, fell down the stairs with mine(laptop), and after a "major repair", it still works. Can your Apple do that vs. my Toshiba?
    You can get pretty much anything up and running after a "major repair". Haha

CNET pulled a stunt with a MacBook Air recently in which the left it in a freezer, put it in the oven, submerged it in water, dropped it on pavement several times, put it on top of a car and drove off and the damn thing still worked after all that.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

By major repair I meant replacing the motherboard without CPU which I somehow spared.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    By major repair I meant replacing the motherboard without CPU which I somehow spared.
    That's pretty major. Spill damage is tends to be quite random. How damaged the computer gets depends on where the spill is, how quickly you're able to get the machine off and dry it out, and what kind of liquid was spilled. Something like coke is about as bad as it gets because it is acidic and can eat away at the components over time. One of the things I don't like about the unibody macbooks is that you need to remove the housing in order to get the battery out, which is sometimes the fastest way to get the machine off.

It sounds like your instant soup / vodka spill short circuited your machine. As I pointed out before my current macbook has survived two coke spills with no damage other than a few sticky keys (which I fixed by cleaning), so I would say that my mac has out preformed your toshiba in this respect, but again, it's really just luck.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It insults me when someone says I am making a fashion statement when I am about as cheap and plain Jane as it gets. I don't even wear make up because I think it's stupidly expensive.

A.) not it is not. http://store.apple.com/us-k12/browse...ly/macbook_pro you could have googled that shit in three seconds. Instead you look like a dolt.
    B.) the MacBook Pro has a faster processor.

You're living in 1999. Macs are no longer more expensive.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...it_all_add_up_
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech.../tests/4258725
    http://technologizer.com/2010/02/27/pc-or-mac/

So for me it really comes down to OS preference. I prefer OS X. That and resale value. Since I can sell my Mac for a profit in Mexico a year after I buy it for a steep discount in the States. I constantly have an up to date computer AND I make money.

Just to make it clear that it's *reallly* about the OS a few years ago I had an MSI wind "hackintosh," which I was quite happy with. No apple logo included.
    Um, 1699/1999 > 1000 still. Lower resolution, less disk space and same CPU for 1699 and lower resolution and less diskspace for 1999. The faster cpu was only on the 1999, and 2599 versions. Don't treat every vendor the same in the PC market. Lenovo is fairly unique in selling things for a low margin and putting out a good product at a low margin. Don't compare it with other PC vendors like HP or Dell or whatever, because that's not a fair comparison at all. The thing is Mac has some features which makes it 2-300 dollars better but not 600-1000 better.

I'm not saying you're not plain jane or whatever, that's a fashion statement too. But buying Mac at any price even education discount is still paying for a high margin product. Mac is so profitable because it uses various tactics to lock people into buying their hardware, such as unique connectors and a OS that is diffucult to install on non-mac hardware.

For the same reason you don't use makeup, many individuals don't buy Mac, and are plain jane themselves, they buy a 400 dollar low end model which does basically everything they need. I wouldn't buy a HP Envy any more than I would buy a Mac, and that's a large number of people.

What's the big deal with buying a luxury product, there are often some benefits and unique qualities to luxury products which cost a lot more but are hard to find otherwise.

I don't really care about the OS at all, since anything can run anything except Mac OS and it's a pain to deal with and the price premium generally isn't worth it.

Anyways my first response to you didn't have much to do with you and was base on public pricing and didn't really refer to you specifically. For me, the price point irregardless of resale value makes it a luxury purchase, and that's true for a large number of individuals.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    A few years ago literally an entire cup (~16oz) of coffee got spilled onto my MacBook Pro, and I was pretty concerned that it’d end up frying the entire machine; instead all that happened was that the s-key on the keyboard got burned out. No other damage nor dysfunction to speak of.
    I've did it to my last Lenovo, it survived for 3 years after that. I also spilled ice cream on a few keys, I lost a key trying to fix it. But otherwise everything is fine.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Um, I'm not in school and 1699/1999 > 1000 still. Lower resolution, less disk space and same CPU for 1699 and lower resolution and less diskspace for 1999. Lenovo is fairly unique in selling things for a low margin and putting out a good product at a low margin. Don't compare it with other PC vendors like HP or Dell or whatever, because that's not a fair comparison at all. The thing is Mac has some features which makes it 2-300 dollars better.

I'm not saying you're not plain jane or whatever, that's a fashion statement too. But buying Mac at any price even education discount is still paying for a high margin product. Mac is so profitable because it uses various tactics to lock people into buying their hardware, such as unique connectors and a OS that is diffucult to install on non-mac hardware.

For the same reason you don't use makeup, many individuals don't buy Mac, and are plain jane themselves. I would buy a HP Envy any more than I would buy a Mac, and that's a large number of people.

What's the big deal with buying a luxury product, there are often some benefits and unique qualities to luxury products which cost a lot more but are hard to find otherwise.
    Who said that you're in school?

Your response isn't credible because you didn't even bother to look at the links in which several well known publications debunk the myth that macs are more expensive than PCs.

It is *not* a luxury product. The *only* difference is that Apple doesn't produce entry level models. If someone WANTED an entry level computer I would suggest a pc. I, however, require a faster machine. I prefer OS X so I buy macs. It has nothing to do with my image OR the price.

I don't have money to waste on "luxury" products. That's the big deal.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Who said that you're in school?

Your response isn't credible because you didn't even bother to look at the links in which several well known publications debunk the myth that macs are more expensive than PCs.

It is *not* a luxury product. The *only* difference is that Apple doesn't produce entry level models. If someone WANTED an entry level computer I would suggest a pc. I, however, require a faster machine. I prefer OS X so I buy macs. It has nothing to do with my image OR the price.

I don't have money to waste on "luxury" products. That's the big deal.
    You're still being defensive, my first post didn't mention you specifically. I don't care about those articles because I have a PC I'm using which is comparable in performance and cost 1000(949 with tax). And that's a fact!!! Is my PC significantly slower or less power than a Mac Book Pro, absolutely not. My PC is also 2.4GHZ instead of 2.3 GHZ with a 1080p screen, 8 gigs of ram 750gb harddrive and Geforce 660m which is better than the 650 in mac book pros.

Is 1000 less than 1699, yes
    is 1000 less than 1999, yes
    is 1000 less than 2199, yes
    is 1000 less than 2599, yes

What part of you can get a PC of comparable performance vs a Mac do you not understand? Those articles are meaningless, because I have a example in front of me of a PC cheaper than a Mac.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not being defensive. You're being a dickwad!!! (lolz) Who quite simply cannot confess to having been mistaken.

Macs are made by one company. PCs are produced by countless companies. You're going to find comparable PCs that are both more and less expensive. The point of the articles I posted is that there is no longer much (if any) price discrepancy.

I haven't argued that you can't get comparable PCs for cheaper. You, however insist that macs are a "luxury" item even though they are demonstrably not more expensive than most comparable PCs.

I probably paid a lot less ($700) for my current (year old) macbook pro than you did for your PC because I'm a cheapass and I spent a month or so hunting down the best deal.

Why wont you just admit that it comes down to operating system preference? Fuck. Even Intel's compare and contrast website says that it's about OS preference.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm not being defensive. You're being a dickwad!!! (lolz) Who quite simply cannot confess to having been mistaken.

Macs are made by one company. PCs are produced by countless companies. You're going to find comparable PCs that are both more and less expensive. The point of the articles I posted is that there is no longer much (if any) price discrepancy.

I haven't argued that you can't get comparable PCs for cheaper. You, however insist that macs are a "luxury" item even though they are demonstrably not more expensive than most comparable PCs.

I probably paid a lot less ($700) for my current (year old) macbook pro than you did for your PC because I'm a cheapass and I spent a month or so hunting down the best deal.

Why wont you just admit that it comes down to operating system preference? Fuck. Even Intel's compare and contrast website says that it's about OS preference.
    What do you mean it's not a luxury item? The profit margins on Apple products make them a luxury item. The other companies also make luxury products which don't sell too well for luxury/high margin prices. This is because there is a premium on these products. If you got it cheaper, good for you, but that really doesn't say much about Apple or it's buyers. Especially those paying retail price.

You can keep your indie cred or whatever, but that's has little to do with what kind of company Apple is.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apple has higher profit margins than other companies because it is not simply a hardware manufacturer. It's simply not comparable to companies like Lenovo, Dell, and HP, which are ONLY hardware manufacturers. Because Apple makes a shit ton of money through its "app store" and "itunes" it can have a larger profit margin without a price increase carrying over to the consumer.

You're still refusing to admit that there is no credible evidence that apple produces products that are anything more than marginally more expensive than comparable machines produced by other companies. Nor have you presented any evidence to the contrary.

Wal*Mart has a massive profit margin (about 1% more than Apple) because they have figured out how to force manufactures to lower their prices. Does that make the goods sold at Wal*Mart "luxury" items? No. I think not.

It's also worth noting that Intel's profit margin is a massive 29%. According to you that makes Intel chips a "luxury" item.
    Last edited by Scapegrace; 12-22-2012 at 01:18 AM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having had the opportunity to test and/or play around with most of their products, I'd put the iPhone at the top of their inventions. They do manage to stick out and outperform in some aspect or another in their palette of products, but for most other things aside from the iPhone, I'd rather choose something else to work with.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Apple has higher profit margins than other companies because it is not simply a hardware manufacturer. It's simply not comparable to companies like Lenovo, Dell, and HP, which are ONLY hardware manufacturers. Because Apple makes a shit ton of money through its "app store" and "itunes" it can have a larger profit margin without a price increase carrying over to the consumer.

You're still refusing to admit that there is no credible evidence that apple produces products that are anything more than marginally more expensive than comparable machines produced by other companies. Nor have you presented any evidence to the contrary.

Wal*Mart has a massive profit margin (about 1% more than Apple) because they have figured out how to force manufactures to lower their prices. Does that make the goods sold at Wal*Mart "luxury" items? No. I think not.

It's also worth noting that Intel's profit margin is a massive 29%. According to you that makes Intel chips a "luxury" item.
    Um no..
    http://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin

http://ycharts.com/companies/WMT/profit_margin

http://ycharts.com/companies/INTC/profit_margin

Um... no. Apple's profit margin are far more than Walmart. Also Apple also forces manufacturers to lower prices.

Intel's profit margin is due to something called virtual monopoly as is Microsoft.

http://ycharts.com/companies/MSFT/profit_margin

Take a look at Dell

http://ycharts.com/companies/DELL/profit_margin

http://www.scmp.com/comment/blogs/ar...margin-malaise

Lenovo doesn't have a chart but there are articles about the low margins Lenovo operates under.

Apple only has a majority market share in Tablets and will lose that to Android, it has a smaller market share elsewhere. They market themselves as a premium product, for discerning consumers. I don't know that's not luxury.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast