Thread: ITT: Epic Choral Music (That Is Not Carmina Burana by Orff)

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ITT: Epic Choral Music (That Is Not Carmina Burana by Orff)

For some reason, Russian choirs seem to have a preponderance of basses with freakishly deep, cavernous voices, which lends their choral music an other-worldly, ghostly sound. This is a choral arrangement of a song by Tchaikovsky, originally written for a child's voice and piano, called "Legend." I love this shit:

Eric Whitacre is a contemporary American composer who creates the most amazing choral textures I've ever heard. Here's one example:

"How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something more contemporary -- insane a capella arrangements of popular music:

Last edited by Animal; 11-18-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Arvo Pärt. This is one of his most beautiful.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That was amazing. I sometimes listen to Pärt walking around on overcast days. It makes the world seem transfigured.

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember rooting for Pentatonix back on the Sing-Off or whatever it was called. Shit's amazing.

I first heard this number as a wind ensemble arrangement back in college, blew my mind. The original choral version is also pretty damn great. So many 9th chords, so much reverb

Last edited by Galen; 11-19-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That was really beautiful. Their voices are so pristine. Not using any vibrato makes it sound like a flowing river that's somehow completely smooth on the surface. I hear those crazy overtones.