Thread: "Kill The Gays" bill in Uganda

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What's wrong with Africa? There's a free market in Somalia and demand for this kind of practice - all is fine...

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just another well justified reason to get the fuck out of Africa.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

not surprising considering the kind of disinformation and vitriolic propaganda regarding gays they have been feeding to their population, this is nsfw - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzW_5QDvU4 - looks like it was posted for purposes of humor but this is actually quite disparaging

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say for sure, but this bill was probably lobbied for by united states interests.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Probably.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Lol
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Uganda’s LGBT community held a weekend of gay pride events this summer.
    If the anti-gay sentiments are what's wrong with Africa, then the resistance is also. I can't think of anything more courageous than standing up for your rights when your resistance can get you killed in a heartbeat.

I hope that many countries step up and offer refugee status to gay Ugandans.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While as an egalitarian Westerner it does sound sad but there are far worser less media-sexy policies that hurt a larger portion of the populace just as bad.

Still it's heartening to see how the homosexual demographic there can be so brave.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    While as an egalitarian Westerner it does sound sad but there are far worser less media-sexy policies that hurt a larger portion of the populace just as bad.
    So this shouldn't be reported to make room for other news?
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    So this shouldn't be reported to make room for other news?
    I don't even know what "should" means but:
    I am not going to take any actions to further nor hinder the emergence of this kind of news.
    I, like you, can drop off my meaningless condolences about how this world is so cruel to the minorities and then we can happily say to ourselves how aware and thus supportive we are about the third world problems while living it large in the large in the first world.
    And like you, I'm not going to lift a finger about it.

If I hear that something similar is done in my community, I will be seen in the barricades.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't even know what "should" means but:
    I am not going to take any actions to further nor hinder the emergence of this kind of news.
    I, like you, can drop off my meaningless condolences about how this world is so cruel to the minorities and then we can happily say to ourselves how aware and thus supportive we are about the third world problems while living it large in the large in the first world.

If I hear that something similar is done in my community, I will be seen in the barricades.
    Reporting it spreads the word, sharing it on social media does, too, and there is lot of activism on part of global LGBT communties (and others) to pressure governments into offering refugee status. Gay Ugandans know that they have international support which goes a long way because international outcry has also been known to pressure on governments with similar policies. I think you underestimate the power of global solidarity in cases like this.

Don't assume.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...12/08/17/46846

Family Research Council‘s president Tony Perkins in 2010 claimed that Uganda’s infamous “Kill The Gays” bill merely was an effort “to uphold moral conduct that protects others.” The Ugandan Kill The Gays bill in fact allows for the lifetime imprisonment for those convicted of homosexuality, allows for the death penalty for “aggravated homosexuality,” and allows for the criminalization of same-sex marriage, punishable by jail time, and even calls for the forcible extradition of Ugandans who violate the law.

But Perkins, whose Family Research Council spent at least $25,000 lobbying the U.S. Congress on the bill (FRC claims they lobbied Congress only to remove “pro-homosexuality” statements from a congressional statement denouncing the bill, while others believe they lobbied Congress to not denounce the bill at all — we’ll never know, will we?) in this 2010 “Washington Watch” radio commentary, below, claims the Kill The Gays bill “calls for the death penalty, not for homosexual behavior which is already a crime, but for acts such as intentionally spreading HIV/AIDS, or preying upon vulnerable individuals such as children.”
    You might not want to turn to Tony Perkins for an explanation of what this bill really means.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reporting it spreads the word, sharing it on social media does, too, and there is lot of activism on part of global LGBT communties (and others) to pressure governments into offering refugee status. Gay Ugandans know that they have international support which goes a long way because international outcry has also been known to pressure on governments with similar policies. I think you underestimate the power of global solidarity in cases like this.
    Share it on Facebook and all of your Ugandan gay friends can fight together. The Uganda government will cower in fear as they see that petition you signed.
    The most likely reaction you and others will likely achieve is that the US government gets yet another blessing to intervene to correct the savants towards egalitarian culture they never had.
    Don't assume.
    So what will you and your moral high grounds do about it?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Share it on Facebook and all of your Ugandan gay friends can fight together. The Uganda government will cower in fear as they see that petition you signed.
    The most likely reaction you and others will likely achieve is that the US government gets yet another blessing to intervene to correct the savants towards egalitarian culture they never had.
    You really don't think that international support for marginalized groups like this one is a good thing? Instead you suggest to ignore it because any sort of engagement makes us hypocrites by default? These LGBT groups in Uganda can make contacts that might very well lead to practical support should they seek asylum.

Along these lines I recently talked to an undocumented immigrant in Southern California who told me how happy she was for all the support for her cause (the Dream Act) from people all over the world.It has also lead to contacts in her home country (which she left when she was a child and never visited since) in case she gets deported.

Just because it doesn't mean anything to you, it can mean a great deal to other people. Who are you to judge?
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lol. If I thought well of Tony Perkins, I obviously wouldn't have linked from that site.
    Oh? Why did you link it?
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Because I found it comical (FRC's claims).
    Oh ok. The source seemed a bit out of character for you, lol.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really don't think that international support for marginalized groups like this one is a good thing?
    Just like Kony 2012.. After they have found oil in Uganda, somebody brings out their social injustices. "WILL USA HELP THEM!?!"
    These LGBT groups in Uganda can make contacts that might very well lead to practical support should they seek asylum.
    If I'd be Ugandan right now, I'd probably be so gay that I'd get my ass to a nice welfare paradise.
    Who are you to judge?
    A living well-hung God.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just like Kony 2012.. After they have found oil in Uganda, somebody brings out their social injustices. "WILL USA HELP THEM!?!"
    Kony 2012 was misguided, but an entirely different story.

If I'd be Ugandan right now, I'd probably be so gay that I'd get my ass to a nice welfare paradise.
    You really are clueless.

A living well-hung God.
    Good for you.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kony 2012 was misguided, but an entirely different story.
    How so?
    You really are clueless.
    Enlighten me or shut up.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How so?

The problem with Kony 2012 was that it was an emotional piece made by a westerner with good intentions, but patronizing delivery. He also over-simplified the situation. Gays in Uganda self-report their situation and are looking for support.

Enlighten me or shut up.
    So you want to be gay in Uganda to find refuge in a welfare state?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ence/?page=all
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you want to be gay in Uganda to find refuge in a welfare state?
    Nah, I was born in one.
    Gays in Uganda self-report their situation and are looking for support.
    Yeah, but the children were reported for and are not looking for support so it's obviously different?

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't assume.
    And what are you gona do about it?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratremix View Post
    And what are you gona do about it?
    My personal area of interest is migration and refugees, so I support efforts to grant refugee status for gay citizens of countries in which they face violence based on their sexual orientation. That involves letters to officials, petitions, information events, etc.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nah, I was born in one.
    Yeah, but the children were reported for and are not looking for support so it's obviously different?
    No, but the situation in Uganda is far too complex to suggest that the removal of one person would truly change things. The film was more about the filmmakers and Kony himself than about the ones they claimed to want to protect. But I think their intentions were good.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    lol aqua, you really didn't see this coming?
    The saddest part is that I kind of did.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I got irritated when you made a comment about gay Ugandans wanting to take advantage of welfare state and perhaps I missed a joke there. I

What I don't understand is being judged for being interested in what is going on in the gay community in Uganda and for trying to do the little I do. I don't judge you for not getting involved and I don't expect people to fight every injustice out there, so why do you judge me? What's it to you what people do and how effective it is? And who are you to judge their motivations? Why would I care about your motivations when you say you help out at your friend door.

It's something I notice a lot on this forum and I just don't get it. Do your thing and let others do theirs.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got irritated when you made a comment about gay Ugandans wanting to take advantage of welfare state and perhaps I missed a joke there.
    I live next to Helsinki. A little bit less than 10% of it's residents are born abroad. Most of them are just fine. Then there are those who made 40% of all rapes between 2000-2006. It might have been a joke but it does come from somewhere.
    Why would I care about your motivations when you say you help out at your friend door.
    I don't know what is a friend door but that is an excellent question. Why would you care? Six of your posts already did. Result: A philantropic thread raped by quarrel.
    Do your thing and let others do theirs.
    That is precisely what I am doing. One of my things is to cause controversy and yours is to whine and cry. This is a symbiosis, baby.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It warms my heart seeing gay Uganda people reading and agreeing with majority posts made in this thread. Socionics forum gives people hope for a better tomorrow.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secession fills the air in the land of steers and queers, so the Republic of Texas is an ideal designated homostate for refugees of the global gay diaspora.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

God doesn't support what you're doing, korpsey/Aquagraph/Ashton.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God doesn't support what you're doing, korpsey/Aquagraph/Ashton.
    Amen.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Amen.
    Dear Friends,

I was tired of reading about all of the nasty things that people are still saying about gay people. Some states are still spending money to create laws that are harmful to gay people and gay families. Some states still try to outlaw gay relationships! It's 2011. Take a look at Uganda and what the American right wing has done for gay people there.
    It's horrifying. And I don't even need to comment on that group with the nasty signs.
    So I created a simple gay prayer and I am hoping that people will read it and pass it along to their friends and family. I also would like people to contribute their own thoughts, prayers, poems, prose or comments for me to post on line. I am not looking for any cash donations.
    Just be a good person . PEACE!

christos

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That prayer doesn't seem limited to gay people, except for the very first line.
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My personal area of interest is migration and refugees, so I support efforts to grant refugee status for gay citizens of countries in which they face violence based on their sexual orientation. That involves letters to officials, petitions, information events, etc.
    So you have a history of supporting refugees. What other refugees have you supported, how did you support them? What letters have you written to officials about this problem in uganda, or other similar refugee problems; which officials did you write to? What informative events on refugees / migration problems have you helped organize? Etc.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still it's heartening to see how the homosexual demographic there can be so brave.

Right on! Wow, this makes me proud to be human.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do some of yous think it is time to write complaint letters to Uganda officials from Socionics forum? Hand me over your ideas and I'm going to materialise them, I'm a professional writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay View Post
    That prayer doesn't seem limited to gay people, except for the very first line.
    It isn't. Great observation skills.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't. Great observation skills.
    Thank you. It's one of my many talents
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It sure is.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    @Kim: i thought Aqua's first comment was more about the Media etc than the issue itself - which is of course extreme. Nothing wrong imo with you or anyone taking an interest in issues of their choice...
    I have sympathy for their cause but I don't see pursuing it particularly effective when done outside Uganda. I try to preserve my energy and aim my focus to other issues that are in closer to my sphere of influence. Their culture was the root to this legislation and I see the attempt to cut those branches that emerge from it to be mostly futile. I, however, haven't denied the possibility of directing their culture but that is not advisable without a deep understanding and an interactive, respectful approach. Even if the Westerners could force them to change their legislation, the homosexuals would be still discriminated against. At optimal, abolishing such legislation would be an alleviation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast