Thread: Questions and Aths: Antoni Kępiński

33 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Default Questions and Aths: Antoni Kępiński

Our favorite crowdsourcer asks:

Ath: which type is kepinski?
    For your consideration, a machine-translated biographical excerpt from

What was Kępiński every day, how he worked, how to affect the environment?

Usually come to the clinic early, around seven in the morning. As a young assistant attempts we made a kind of competition: first come, first adopted during the call will examine the patient. Punctuality, regularity, and above all the responsibility for the patient was the compelling feature.

Do not part with small notebooks in which patients write speeches, personal observations and thoughts or comments collaborators. Gathered all the notes suitcase. Over the years, the clinic team met every day at noon for informal gatherings in the cozy library in the basement of the building. The theme of the meetings was to present the so-called most often. difficult cases, combined with a meeting with the patient. It was the best school of psychiatry. Kępiński thus realized the principle that psychiatry can be learned only in contact with the patient, in a dialogue with him. Conversation with the patient considered to be the best lesson in psychiatry. He practiced with the affiliate relationship to the patient, ensuring that the contact surface is horizontal.

With his patience listening could not understand how you can get bored psychiatrist; nervous when someone claimed that it was "trivial case". When students are bored of listening to the patient asked for a meeting with the next patient, fumed: Man you get bored!

He did not like psychiatry, "delicatessen" in which the nature of things was convicted university clinic. Therefore, taking patients to the clinic the doctors on duty demanded equal treatment for all, regardless of social status, or education.

Not shared by colleagues degrees and their position, but according to their attitudes and approach to patients. Reacted strongly when the scientific objectives were beginning to dominate the immediate good of the patient.

As a teacher, influenced by example. Requiring from each show as we should require from each other.

He did not like administrative meetings, time for the meeting considered it lost. He was not there any function, avoiding the exercise of power. The management of the clinic became clear to the rector of the Academy of Medicine.

Here is a portrait of Kępiński, outlined by Professor Adam Szymusika, his successor in the chair:

Its appearance or behavior does not stand out like. However, his statements listened with special attention; attention to it in difficult cases or in situations of conflict.

And yet he did nothing to stand out - on the contrary - as if he was embarrassed by the situation, remove the shadow in the foreground pulling others. Was usually tolerant, lenient and understanding for the various weaknesses. For him, the contact with the patient was a pleasure.

The work of research and teaching felt more for the privilege than a duty. He hated manipulation, false attitudes, always stood in defense of those who have complained, but not always they were right. He avoided any ceremonious and officialdom. Many times, as if by accident, appeared at the clinic, when someone had their first duty [...] He was a very personal, friendly approach to everyone who came in contact, and in particular to their colleagues. He knew their families, children, interested in their health and progress in science [...].

For it did not disappoint no one [...]. He was not only respected - he was just a sweetheart. Most of us could not imagine proceeding against his sentence.

According to Roman Lesniak most important feature was the consequence of the nature Kępiński and personal example, absolute consistency between what he said and what he did. There was the shadow of envy or jealousy.

Here is a mosaic of observation and expression, which sketch the form of the Master Anthony:

Tall, handsome, slim, smiling ... He liked to dress frills .... He avoided the hard collar and tie ... Hairstyle wore a short, smooth. His voice was low, quiet. In his pocket he had a pipe, tried it with English tobacco, smoked it in moments of quiet, under the influence of good humor. He liked to collect saints and miniature sculptures. Inwentarzyka complemented flat, metal, silver, elegant "prohibitka". For example, it took the defense of doctoral dissertations to Cock whiskey PhD student in the nut massively calm stage fright and fear. The bridge was playing great, but it was hard to convince to play. Also, he did not like to dance. Did not have a car ... He walked in sandals, as a secular saint. With him it was hard to - as they say - go for a drink, he had to pay.

Work as a medicine to treat both their own drawbacks, as well as for sadness. Than as required from each man's animal ... bestowed kindness, love and patience. From earliest childhood rallied to animals. How he could help them, fed them, gave injections sick cattle, treating cats with pneumonia, released from the tethered dogs. Last cat professor, Antos or Dializek, accompanied by his severe illness, even during dialysis.

Those who were lucky in Kępiński "apprenticeship", know very well that they do not treat everyone equally. On the contrary, stand out and support those who were weak, more like those others did not like, love unloved.

Maybe it was hidden in the secret of his special ability to trigger other what the best: discovering the good in the worst case, perception of hope in hopelessness and identifying creative qualities even in illness.

The concept of axiological Kępiński psychiatry was born in a natural way with the professed his hierarchy of values. The practical expression of this hierarchy was the pursuit of excellence, and the maxim of dealing with neighbor had faith, hope and love.

Not without reason, reached Kępiński Scripture as the Book of books, but also as to - as sometimes he would say - the best textbook of psychiatry.

Those who knew him well - one of the students write Kępiński - remember, he was imbued with the element of religion, which had a sort of immanent need for religious faith.

He was a man of deep faith, but their religious feelings treated as a private and intimate. The sick

Fridays he devoted to taking patients outside the clinic, most of the former patients. Before the "cellar Kępiński" in the basement of the clinic from dawn crowds gathered patients. This is the relationship of the patient:

This tiny room in the basement, the window below the sidewalk, created a special mood. Docent sat in his chair, his fingers had started on the cheek, chin resting on his hand, and listened. He listened, listened, and he spoke little. But what we have said, it was full ... shocked. I sit at Kępińskim and talk about their observations ... At one point he asks me Docent, how these phenomena on the streets of the Lord? So I say: Eject languages, malicious laughter, signs hands ...

- And it's so everywhere you mean?

- Everywhere!

- Doctor, you let the dresses, we go to market. He took me by the hand, walked the city, circled the square. I detected this his "delusions" may be less, perhaps because it suited see that I'm not alone, and maybe because it reassured me docent Kępiński presence.

Psychotherapy began to look more and more interesting. These our conversation, I noticed, was the interest on both sides, and it stimulated me. I used to sit down with Dr. Kępińskim, as always adopted this your pose, and listen, listen, listen, and the more I listen, the more I say. Finally, I did not have anything more to say, and I see that Docent asleep. Of course, I had no claim on this account, because I knew how crazy this man is running.

He was besieged by patients in the clinic and at home, where he ran a limited private practice. It was his true element. He gave himself to the sick, but also received a lot of them: with them held a fascinating journey into the soul of another human being.

Attitude towards patients Kępiński expressed in a simple, though perhaps controversial aphorism: The patient is always right. Conducive to healing their patients especially in word and skill of empathy - empathy in the other person's mental state. As one of the pioneers of psychotherapy in Poland has formulated its policies and warned against using the wrong attitude: the error "scientific objectivity" error "masks" and the error "moral judgment."

Know the truth about a doctor above all patients. Let us vote for other patients:

"When you went to his office, often enough to look at the professor would be easier nerves got sick. Its relation to the patient was wonderful. Patient after the visit of Professor came out full of encouragement and his state has changed radically. Belittled himself and exalt us. Because claimed to mediocrity, helplessness, awkwardness, and our strength, agility, intelligence and kindness. He tried to see in us what is good and beautiful - and pięknieliśmy in their own eyes, nabieraliśmy respect to each other, often for the first time in my life We accepted each other. I was lucky to be his patient for several years. Do not hesitate to use the term "happiness", but his office has brought me a disease that is suffering ... He was an equal partner of the "journey into the depths of my soul." I felt his guide because it was inside me, not him. We moved, as if it were a trip to the unaudited cavers, an underground maze. I walked the first and said, I see. At the same time I felt Supported by ongoing follow me step by step professor."

"Cardinal provided here was silence Professor, kind, watchful, approving. It was the silence - stimulus, silence - help. I felt like that ennobled his attitude. Sometimes in my search for a seemingly small detail, episode, and told me to stay with him and take it as our joint discovery of the true work of art. He was sensitive to beauty, it was looking at us, he would find them. The real "confession" was the contact between two people, not very aptly called psychotherapy."

Therefore, patients were welcoming, accepting and grateful. Sometimes, he said, they do not know who benefits from a larger psychotherapy: the patient or the doctor. The belief persists that patients should not have to pay him, but he was sick because he learns from them. It happened that to his "private practice" just dopłacał, gave money to the poor patients to drugs or food.

Affirmed Kępiński man as it is: everything that concerns man is not good or bad, wise or foolish, or, or beautiful or ugly - it's just human. The man was for him the most important and absolute value. No wonder he and his person, though known in the narrow circle of psychiatry, urastała gradually to the ideal medical model, Samaritan our time.

In view of his illness

Professor Jadwiga wife says:

holiday we returned to Krakow and here I learned the terrible diagnosis, deluded that this is a mistake ... There was a burst vertebra in the spine, so for 3 months baby plaster. Did not return home, only in the Department of Psychiatry colleagues prepared him his room where he lay and directed clinic. One day Sister Janina hares brought beautifully starched smock and said, "Lord, docents, we visit". I put my husband in a smock, słabiutkiego in this corset, the overall design touches his beautiful hands and proud entered the branch. And it gave him satisfaction crazy ...

After a year of rapid deterioration occurred, her husband had to move to the Internet to Professor Hanickiego.

Here's how to see the doctor treating:

Soon it became clear that the process of kidney disease is secondary to the basic process that had already equaled a death sentence. I am confident that Professor Kepinski quickly realized that the disease is incurable. There was between us to some unwritten agreement that on forecasts will not be talking at all.

Professor Kępiński the first time in the clinic began to very intensive work. This work has intensified especially at a time when the 13 months before his death, we were forced to use the hemodialysis treatment, ie an artificial kidney. Time "wasted" on dialysis made up for the fact that he got up at three in the morning and started to write. You could say that the testament of his life was closed in what developed as a patient at the clinic during these few months. It was an unusual rush to leave something behind. It was just the opposite biological prawidłom. Although he suffered terribly, still wanted to help their patients.

This disease, which mercilessly destroyed his bone marrow, bones and nerves, which deeply disturbed metabolism is not disturbed metabolism of the brain. On the contrary, sharpened his perception, association, synthesis, widely opened his memory, she discovered the deepest layers of his experiences ...

He's not worried about his condition was worried my condition. He spared us, because he knew that his illness gives us a deep pain. We knew in advance that we are fighting a lost cause. This is what most ailed him, it was a pain, physical pain [...] His body was a bag of broken bones, it was a man who for two years was tied to the bed, for which every movement on the bed, it was a colossal pain. If we decided to prolong his suffering, it is because of him that left something for us. And he wanted most of all.

Here are some other pictures that perpetuated the memory of Professor Hanickiego:

Antos dialysis, Antos daily greeting and farewell smile, the doctor and the priest, Antos sore fingers tapping on the machine, Antos never complaining, not to cause suffering to those who took care of him [...] Antos gives the indulgence of a plaster corset pin Meritorious Polish, probably just to make you a minister does not hurt.

He said: Mr. Minister, can you prick, I have a corset, it does not hurt me ...

In this state Kępiński wrote his book. The biggest pain wrote "Schizophrenia". Pain awakened at midnight, got up, wrapped in a blanket, drinking coffee, and the fifth, six in the morning ... He had a poor fellow wrote a very sore hands, the font can hit the rozmasowaniu fingers, but could not hold a pen. "Schizophrenia" actually arose in crazy pain ...

Kępiński caught the deadly disease for more than two years in bed, more than a year repeated dialysis.

Both sides played the double game: he was dying applied psychotherapy for people with their environment in order to facilitate the role of what they had to meet. Consistently said that he feels good, and if you complain, it is only sometimes excruciating pain ... rheumatic spine. Head hung on the door card: "People have pity here! State heavy! But every day the crowds surged guests here. Even a magnet disease. Attracted people not only altruism but also that - as confirmed by most of the guests - that went away reassured.

The first morning we spent time together. Falsifying powerfully sang "When the early risers auroras', fed the cat-friend, we made plans ... We were aware of the death, and therefore appreciated the value of life, but inevitably it was less and less.

There is one report of Professor Hanickiego:

Antos wanted me went to England - three days before his death - and there gave our joint paper on chronic dialysis patients, and therefore about themselves. This happened on the day of his funeral. This was my epitaph for him. And stuffed me on the strength of the Polish so just to save me a view of her bodily death.

During the last months of illness pełniliśmy medical shifts at our professor. It so happened that I had the critical duty of the June night. In a long monologue agony scrolled contradictions that beset Kępiński: Topic of good and evil, love and hate, Poles and Germans. After a long moment of silence, before taking his last breath, Kepinski said, I am ready to move to the other side of life.

In developing the concept of psychiatry axiological Kępiński caused hunger of desire beyond psychiatry, in social life. Fought for decent living conditions and treatment for the mentally ill, asserted their rights and decent treatment.

Even in mental illness could see a positive value and beauty. So everyone feel better with him and raised the spirits.

In his memoirs, Professor Joseph Bogusz Kępiński for the patient was the most faithful of the faithful. Gave them a generous hand, moreover, not realizing at the time, the most beautiful and most precious gifts, for gifts of mind and heart. Psychologists feared that, in connection with the fatal disease suicides occur in some of his patients. There is no life for the patient, since the doctor died. Could there be a more powerful expression of that most beautiful of relationships, relationship doctor - patient?

Contradictions and complexes

In his Kępiński reflected the contradictions inherent in his personality:

• He was secretive and inscrutable, did not talk about himself, and another masterfully created the conditions to show his feelings and trigger the best;
    • Fought for the freedom of man and his autonomy, and at the same time promoted the Christian humanism that undergo the rigors of this freedom and responsibility is limited to some extent;
    • Was skeptical about the possibility of knowledge of human nature, but broadened the boundaries of knowledge about the theory of energy metabolism and information;
    • Artistic imagination combined with common sense and logic thinking.

That is probably why his work can not arrange for a theoretical currents.

It is impossible to not be associated with the history of the conflict Kępiński life, and especially of traumatic experiences:

• He wanted to fight for their homeland, and his patriotic feelings were paralyzed by slavery and stay in a concentration camp;
    • Rather than implement a natural need of heroism, suffering from "complex non-participation" in what has happened in Poland;
    • Dreamed of becoming a soldier in the Polish airman formations Royal Air Force (RAF), while it was considered useless in aviation;
    • Intended to be a surgeon, but there was no place for him to specialize in this field was his psychiatry;
    • Having talent scientist and researcher, experienced complex nienaukowości psychiatry, because he treated her more as an art than a science.

If you think that a trace left Kępiński his life and work, is primarily created bedded medical model, medical model ideal, whose motto was respect for the patient. In today's world, ravaged by conflicts and dramatic contrasts showed that it is possible Samaritan attitude. Reflection critics of his work, especially philosophers, also showed how the community - healthy and sick - and this attitude needs to be highly appreciated. This attitude resulted in confessing Kępiński ethics, in which the doctor and patient relationship is based on love, therapeutic, and moral values ​​are absolute and timeless as the result of the natural moral order. It is worth recalling that Kepinski treat some mental disorders like neurosis, psychopathy or psychosomatic illnesses as a result of breaching the moral order:

People suffering from these disorders withstand life hell for the excess inherent in the nature of the moral law, as its the bitter negative feelings, for their laziness and unwillingness to take the effort of life, for his selfishness, etc.

According Jakubik, Kepinski was crystal clear naturaliter anima Christiana, so characteristic of the early Christians, and is based on the Bible and the Ten Commandments [...] Kępiński adopted the Christian commandment to love one's neighbor as a basic moral duty of the human being, and a major medical deontology Directive.

In the Kokoszki, Kępiński protected the book from the harmful effects of Poland antypsychiatrii, so before transubstantiation inmates of psychiatric hospitals, homeless prisoners in the street. He has done a lot more, as demonstrated how the approach can be combined with the medical humanities, and in practice to reconcile scientific knowledge and human understanding of the patient, how to treat, and also to treat the patient with dignity.

Therefore, you should resemble the figure and thought Kępiński. Patients stand up to the professor and students, on behalf of the community seek to journalists. Owsiany Eve wrote: And so it should be today, because time does not die the memory of people like him, a man who significantly shaped the sensibility of young Poles 70s and 80

Also recalled the nursing student Mirela Pytel in a thesis devoted to the perception of the work environment Kępiński student in Krakow, 25 years after his death.

In the face of impending death Kępiński wrote:

Without death, life would lose meaning, its dynamic tension, it would be a shapeless, four-dimensional plasma. The awareness of death is related to human existence. Man dies, but is followed by a word, a gesture peculiar to him, an emotional climate that unfolded around him, so its like the symbols that were once thrown into the world, and around the world to a halt, while the body has ceased to exist [.. .] I cast surrounding this character becomes immortal.

Kępiński views may seem anachronistic today, even utopian. Kępiński was aware of a small probability of such a model doctor, a model based on love of the patient. It was not the creator of this model. He was one of those who carried out such a model. In this sense, the patients love Kępiński attitude bordered on the heroic.

Kępiński ahead of his time ability to reconcile two opposing attitudes about what he said in psychiatric prognosis: the attitude of the artist and astronaut. He was unsurpassed in knowledge and an artist painting the human psyche, while the mysterious astronaut travels into the soul of another human being.

33 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my initial impression:

Openness to experience - Medium, high in an intellectual/imaginative sense but low experientially
    Conscientiousness - High
    Extroversion - Low
    Agreeableness - High
    Neuroticism - Low

Sociotype - EII

Enneagram - 2w1, maybe sx/so per

281 Post(s)
    3 Thread(s)

Si 6 spsx
    26 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with EII