Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: type and taste in art

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default type and taste in art

people have commented before on how they think my tumblr reflects on my type and i find it interesting. so i thought people might enjoy looking at other tumblrs and seeing if there is a type or an information element that seems prominent to them.

these are all tumblrs i either follow or used to follow and for a couple of them i'm about as certain as possible about their types, just seeing them post and write stuff and put up pictures of themselves over time. so it'll be interesting if what you guys see from a more cursory look matches what i've thought. maybe i'll give my thoughts later if you guys care.

1. http://e-s-capist.tumblr.com/

2. http://generalsurgeon.tumblr.com/

3. http://enflurane.tumblr.com/

4. http://c3h5n3o9.tumblr.com/

5. http://toad-hollow.tumblr.com/

6. http://lightbones.tumblr.com/

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(shameless self-promotion. for, erm, typing purposes only.)

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea, lemontrees.

Lesbian crackwhores, skinheads, tattoos and creative destruction.
    aquagraph.tumblr.com

This thread is now a thread about your tumblr address.

Lungs, I don't find your tumblr too ESI-ish.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i promise i didn't make this thread to whore out my own tumblr

look at the OTHER ones, guys!

(but now i want aquagraph to elaborate)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

sigh

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    (but now i want aquagraph to elaborate)
    You are asking a definition pedant to talk about art from the perspective of some vague persona categorization model.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You reminded me about this:

Art preference and personality type

We designed the experiment to look at whether people with different personality types like different forms of art. In previous studies researchers have found that:

People who prefer abstract art tend to be more conservative, dogmatic, and are often sensation seekers.
    People who are open to new experiences are less likely to enjoy looking at realistic paintings. They seek something more atypical and challenging.
    People with low emotional stability tend to prefer abstract and pop-art paintings.
    People who score high in agreeableness like paintings and tend to dislike forms like pop-art.
    People who like representational paintings may also be more conscientious than average.

It's less clear how extraversion ties in with painting preference. Some researchers have found that extraverts like modern art more than introverts, but others have found exactly the opposite pattern.

Our results

The main findings of this experiment were that extraverts preferred abstract and cubist art relative to more representational forms like Impressionism and Japanese art. There are theories of extraversion that suggest introverts crave less external stimulation than extraverts, and these results back up theories of this type. It's likely that, for many people, more modern paintings tend to have a higher visual impact than traditional forms or art, which are more widely accepted as the norm. Of course, the impact a piece of art has on an individual can never be predicted.

The opposite was true for agreeableness. People who were more agreeable tended to prefer Impressionism and Japanese art, whereas people who were less agreeable liked what you might call more challenging art – Abstract, Cubism, Islamic and Renaissance. Intellectuals – those open to new aesthetic experiences – tended to avoid Impressionism, possibly because it was too familiar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...article1.shtml

the link to the test: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...d/surveys/art/

Your favourite type of art is Northern Renaissance.
    In the personality profile you had a high intellectualism score, which suggests you like to think about abstract ideas and have a creative imagination.
    People who are the same age and sex as you are most likely to prefer Impressionism
    People who also score highly in your dominant personality trait are most likely to prefer Impressionism

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    You reminded me about this:

Art preference and personality type

We designed the experiment to look at whether people with different personality types like different forms of art. In previous studies researchers have found that:

People who prefer abstract art tend to be more conservative, dogmatic, and are often sensation seekers.
    People who are open to new experiences are less likely to enjoy looking at realistic paintings. They seek something more atypical and challenging.
    People with low emotional stability tend to prefer abstract and pop-art paintings.
    People who score high in agreeableness like paintings and tend to dislike forms like pop-art.
    People who like representational paintings may also be more conscientious than average.

It's less clear how extraversion ties in with painting preference. Some researchers have found that extraverts like modern art more than introverts, but others have found exactly the opposite pattern.

Our results

The main findings of this experiment were that extraverts preferred abstract and cubist art relative to more representational forms like Impressionism and Japanese art. There are theories of extraversion that suggest introverts crave less external stimulation than extraverts, and these results back up theories of this type. It's likely that, for many people, more modern paintings tend to have a higher visual impact than traditional forms or art, which are more widely accepted as the norm. Of course, the impact a piece of art has on an individual can never be predicted.

The opposite was true for agreeableness. People who were more agreeable tended to prefer Impressionism and Japanese art, whereas people who were less agreeable liked what you might call more challenging art – Abstract, Cubism, Islamic and Renaissance. Intellectuals – those open to new aesthetic experiences – tended to avoid Impressionism, possibly because it was too familiar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...article1.shtml

the link to the test: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...d/surveys/art/

In the personality profile you had a high intellectualism score, which suggests you like to think about abstract ideas and have a creative imagination.
    People who are the same age and sex as you are most likely to prefer Impressionism
    People who also score highly in your dominant personality trait are most likely to prefer Impressionism
    aww i enjoyed the art portion of the test but i hoped it would give me more detailed results about that part.

Your results

In the personality profile you had a high conscientiousness score, which suggests you have a strong sense of responsibility and a good eye for detail.

Low extraversion
    Average agreeableness
    High conscientiousness
    Average emotional stability
    Average intellectualism
    Average emotional intelligence

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your favourite type of art is Abstract.

More about your personality test results
    Average extraversion
    Average agreeableness
    Average conscientiousness
    Low emotional stability
    High intellectualism
    High emotional intelligence
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

apparently everybody loves impressionism. gross.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like impressionism. please excuse the giantness idk how to do the thingy where you click the button.

Yum.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently everybody loves impressionism. gross.
    No, the machine informed me that I favor secular islamic art.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressionism is okay to me. Just depends on the individual work. Also to me it's extra-"visceral" and doesn't make sense to me unless I see it in person.

Of the tumblrs cited so far in this thread I like lungs's best. No offense to any other tumblr-ers. I'm not sure tumblrs are super typeable, maybe I cold make some lame a posteriori connection to a person's type if I knew it?
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Surreal art and beautifully done things that verge on the gothic side. Not clowns with smeared makeup and women in fishnets. EW. As I was surfing my favorite website for artwork, I saw this and...just...gasped.

I also like very simple settings where the color is drawn out and accentuated like this. It makes me want to just burst.

So, simple things that have subtle filters that make it not so simple at all. I hope ppl can see those pictures.

so... did... the bird ,apparently

that picture is indeed captivating.having taken art classes it makes me think how i could have done this using charcoil.yeah pressing it for THE PITCH BLACK TO COME OUT THEN ERASING FOR THE LIGHT YEAH YEAH MORE CONTRAST.AAAAH LIIIIIGHT.bump.reality check.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It said it is uncertain. Uncertain art is just great.

Thank you for wasting my time with such precious test.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    i said i would comment on this when i got a chance to look at it, but type-wise i don't know what to say. the whole fantasy-dragons-castles-sci-fi thing i could dig alpha nt in a stereotypical way but the colors are understated and nice (whereas in a lot of art with a similar theme i find them way too flashy and unrealistic and irritating). i like this one: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...knmo1_1280.jpg

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your favourite type of art is Abstract.

In the personality profile you had a high conscientiousness score, which suggests you have a strong sense of responsibility and a good eye for detail.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fenryrr View Post
    I like impressionism. please excuse the giantness idk how to do the thingy where you click the button. . . .
    Yum.
    I like those fen. I really like the bright colors, and the top two look like you're looking through old glass. You know how when windows get really old and the glass starts distorting - or just glass with a lot of water on it, like when your windshield is has a sudden sheet of water run over it and the prism-y view that creates through it. Clear but distorted at the same time. Anyway, blah blah, I like 'em.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

oh wow i just clicked this. cool.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your favourite type of art is secular Islamic.

Low extraversion
    Average agreeableness
    High intellectualism
    Low emotional intelligence <--
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Creepy-female

I made a tumblr the other day but it has more songs and quotes than pictures so far.

http://la-vanita-dei-robot.tumblr.com/

I liked Kassie and Lemontree's pages. I'm not sure if I want to type them though. Typing art feels wrong to me..it really distressed me when Radio made that thread typing music.
    Last edited by female; 11-09-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It said I prefered Japanese art. No. It's just that the available artwork they showed was basically atrocious.

Low Extroversion and Average on everything else.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got Northern Renaissance, given the quality of work provided I'd say they were on the money.

Average Extroversion
    Average Agreeableness
    Average Conscientiousness
    Average Emotional Stability
    Average Intellectualism
    High Emotional Intelligence

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If given the choice, I would have easily gone for Romantic landscapes

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not sure what art style this is

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

oh wow i just clicked this. cool.
    Bon appétit, then.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like cat gifs.

What does this make me?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A cat.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    You are asking a definition pedant
    This made me think: I find that LIIs are usually more open than ILEs to vague systems. LIIs say "this system seems to have potential, lets see how it works out and deal with the definitions later".
    ILEs can be very fierce about the logics. "We have to take everything into account and it has to be exactly right."

to talk about art from the perspective of some vague persona categorization model.
    But it's very relevant. TIM is about how we process information, also art, maybe. But it's worth discussing.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer performance to visual. In the realm of visual I prefer Banksy.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who is the artist? love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    i'm not sure what art style this is

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    who is the artist? love it.
    c:
    Jimmie Durham
    Olaf Hajek
    Spencer Herr
    Karlee Rawkins

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not overly fond of most modern art (excepting, fantasy and sci-fi pieces) , i do love love Monet, Van Gogh, Dali, much impressionism, abstract, classic, romantic...

A favorite......

Something different...

oh hrrmm... one more...for now...

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the colour red best; it's delicious.

Waxes have more flavour than watercolours.

I have always found marble and stone sculptures fairly indigestible and hard wearing on my teeth, so I try to avoid them.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@<a href="http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/member.php?u=2086" target="_blank">lungs</a>... if I had to guess I'd say a lot of those artists are E4's of various kinds except for the 1 or 2 at the end. I can usually tell N ego vs S ego when the pictures are a strange collage or synthesis of many parts (N) or more relatable and distinct (S).

As for architecture being erotic... sounds kinda gamma NT'ish, I guess.

In the personality profile you had a high emotional intelligence score, which suggests you are well balanced and largely in control of your emotions.

Average extraversion
    Average agreeableness
    High emotional stability
    Average intellectualism
    High emotional intelligence

Some of my favorite art:

Shot from buddha bar hotel. Fills me with a sense of zen and feelings of "ultimate accomplishment" almost as if the hotel itself is a form of heaven that can only be reached once the struggle to get the money and right partner to go there is completed.

This is the kind of music they play there.

This photo gave me chills. Looks like another planet above the atmosphere, extremely moody.

Dunno why I like this pic so much. Just do.

Wayne Barlowe. This one hits me deep for some reason. It just, feels good. Makes me want to gnash my teeth and snarl.
    Last edited by Azure Flame; 12-12-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Something different...

stuff that looks synthetic and "computery" like this is immediately uninteresting to me for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast