Thread: Your Brain on Type

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your Brain on Type

The following pdf is, i think, part of a presentation from a student led research project from UCLA. The researches were attempting to see if/how different parts of the brain could be linked to MBTI types, by obtaining readings from a group of students interacting with each other and in a number of activites and scenarios.

This is the kind of playful experimenting I would love to be able to do,
    Obviously, don't treat this as professional scientific results/process/etc.

http://www.keys2cognition.com/papers...lCognition.pdf

Oh..it is 102 powerpoint type pages or so, but each sheet is super simple to read.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmm, that's pretty standard - as if a summary of some past threads on here.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was hoping for an elaborate exposition of the various ways in which typology makes it's practitioners dumber. *DISAPPOINT*

edit: this is your brain on type: http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag...7_1024_768.jpg

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    was hoping for an elaborate exposition of the various ways in which typology makes it's practitioners dumber. *DISAPPOINT*
    I'm going to listen to you now for you do not practise it.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been exploring that site more. They have a test covering processes and relevancy to mbti type. 48 questions.
    I like how it didn't try to force-fit my answers into a theoretical framework.
    Well, it did try to use the results to find a best match, but that gave contradictory results, heh.
    I personally think the raw score is the interesting part.

My answer today was:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Intuiting (Ne)* *******************************************(41.2) excellent use
    introverted Feeling (Fi)* *******************************************(41) excellent use
    introverted Thinking (Ti)* *************************************(35.3) good use
    introverted Sensing (Si)* *****************************(27.7) average use
    extraverted Sensing (Se)* *****************************(27.1) average use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni)* **************************(24.6) average use
    extraverted Thinking (Te)* ***********************(21.6) limited use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe)* **********************(20.7) limited use

After taking the test, there's a bit about basic vs developed use: (note, I don't know how to do table formatting on here anymore, so I used italics and bolding, and I took it out of quotes so that the italics and normal letters would look different.)

Basic and Developed Use
    Each cognitive process can be engaged in a basic, unsophisticated way reflecting our natural human capabilities. Almost everyone can engage each process in some basic way. Beyond this, you will engage some cognitive processes in a more sophisticated, developed way. This is usually the result of innate preference plus lifelong growth and practice, which equals development.

Perceiving—how we focus our attention and gather information

Cognitive Process. -- Basic (Passive) Use. -- Developed (Active) Use
    extraverted Sensing (Se) -- Notice sensory data in the environment. -- Trust your instincts and take action relevant to the moment and current context.
    introverted Sensing (Si) -- Recall tangible data and experiences. -- Stabilize a situation by comparing it to what is expected, known and reliable.
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) -- Notice abstract patterns as they emerge. -- Shift a situation's dynamics and explore imaginative potential possibilities.
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) -- Receive "ah-ha" insights and realizations. -- Persue a greater level of awareness to transform who you are and how you think.

Judging—how we organize our experiences and make decisions

Cognitive Process -- Basic (Passive) Use -- Developed (Active) Use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) -- Follow steps, points and time tables. -- Create structure, reason by measures and evidence, and implement complex plans.
    introverted Thinking (Ti) -- Adhere to definitions and impersonal principles. -- Analyze a problem using a framework, and find an angle or leverage by which to solve it.
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) -- Honor others' needs and preferences. -- Connect with people by sharing values and taking on their needs as yours.
    introverted Feeling (Fi) -- Adhere to personal beliefs about what's important. -- Evalute situations and choose what you believe is congruent with your personal identity.

Development is more than basic or developed use of processes in isolation. Excellent use of a cognitive process involves both basic and advanced use as appropriate, and ability to deploy other processes in its service. Average to good use usually means we can use the process in limited situations or use it well but only with the aid of other processes. Poor use means basic use at most. Finally, we may get ourselves into trouble when we don't use a process at all.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I've been exploring that site more. They have a test covering processes and relevancy to mbti type. 48 questions.
    Yup, it's here and it has been posted multiple times on this site, this is the reason I called what you posted first time a summary of past threads on here.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Yup, it's here and it has been posted multiple times on this site, this is the reason I called what you posted first time a summary of past threads on here.
    Ahh, I haven't seen those threads so I didn't know about them.
    Nor have I seen people talking about eeg readings and personality typing like how the pdf presentation covered it.

Last edited by anndelise; 11-06-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Going to take it again after I get back.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"This is your brain. This is your brain set on types. Any questions?"
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is my brain, it looks like a brain, the mind left the supermarket. Food?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    "This is your brain. This is your brain set on types. Any questions?"

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned