Thread: Enneagram types and emotional reactivity

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram types and emotional reactivity

we're on a roll with the enneagram lately.

i see the word "reactive" being used a lot and i can go look up descriptions in the literature (so please don't quote them ok). but i'm curious what goes through peoples heads when they use it in conversations here. what is it exactly and how do you recognize it? who is "reactive" and how do you know?

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reactive erm...basically something like we become highly emotional when it comes to stress, the problem is very vivid (often exaggerated) in our minds and its hard to control our feelings. We have to deal with it right away.

I have a little ESI sister who is 6, and when something happens that registers as danger to her, she starts to panic, becomes hyper aware and starts to think of multiply scenarios in which something bad will happen to her, while doing this she'll also try to think of multiple ways of getting out of the situation. The entire time the problem might be completely harmless, but she doesn't think and panics in fear. What is ESI polr? Ne? Don't remember, but if it is, then that explains it.

As for me, when under stress, my anger builds up and I react with quick temper (might seem like I lash out for no reason at all), its very intense and often blown out of proportion. Feels like everything is against me and I must deal with the problem right now.

Again, in both situations, with me and my sister...the problem might seem so real in our heads, we can't think clearly, so we have an exaggerated response to it. But to everyone else, it may or may not be that serious.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see enneagram reactivity as a sort of compulsive need to appeal one's own perceived problems to those around them. That is, when a 4/6/8 perceived a threat they'll generally feel an overwhelming need to report this threat to other people in order to make sure that what they're seeing is in fact a big deal. This also means that they can spend more time reacting to problems and complaining about shit that's wrong or out of place and less time actually dealing with the issue itself.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Lol

DON'T YOU SEE THIS MATTERS OPEN YOUR EYES YOU FOOLS!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Lol

DON'T YOU SEE THIS MATTERS OPEN YOUR EYES YOU FOOLS!!!!!!!
    I think she's got it!

Creepy-pokeball

In the hyposthesized part of the theory, serotonin is lower in 4:6:8, which would imply a perception for lower resources in contrast to self. If I were to look at enneagram type, Id consider the perceived resource as related to what that type is. 8s, for example, are both glorified externalization and relative to basic survival. I would assume that resource being perceived would be in terms of more basic need. For example, money for the sake of security rather than success, or success for the sake of security rather than feeling of social well-being. This also relates to how one thing in one enneagram type can be perceived differently by another.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I also see it in a context that leader seemed to be referring to of jumping the gun or overreacting but I don't see this so much in literature so I wonder if it's actually a piece of it, or if it's a generally accepted way of using the word, if it's something seen in reactive types.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae2point0 View Post
    In the hyposthesized part of the theory, serotonin is lower in 4:6:8, which would imply a perception for lower resources in contrast to self. If I were to look at enneagram type, Id consider the perceived resource as related to what that type is. 8s, for example, are both glorified externalization and relative to basic survival. I would assume that resource being perceived would be in terms of more basic need. For example, money for the sake of security rather than success, or success for the sake of security rather than feeling of social well-being. This also relates to how one thing in one enneagram type can be perceived differently by another.
    So if shit is bad it's more "oh my god life and death" bad?

Creepy-pokeball

So if shit is bad it's more "oh my god life and death" bad?
    Its, "EHRMEHGERD, *BIAS INFO* IS LIFE OR DEATH" bad, yo.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really....really...dislike when people use the term "exaggerated" when talking about someone's reactiveness.

We all have our levels of how much of something we can/will tolerate before we take action towards stopping it.
    Some people will take action soon, in an attempt to guide it or stop it before it reaches their max tolerance level. This would be proactiveness.
    Some people wait and wait, hoping it will eventually stop or they'll find respite some other way, but if it doesn't stop on its own, or they don't get that respite, then once it reaches their tolerance level, they'll finally react to make it stop. This would be reactiveness.

The build up can be in one situation, or it can be across a number of situations.
    So what happens when person A has been trying to tolerate action X over a number of months, with action X constantly bombarding them over and over and over. They may have even tried to make a proactive effort to get it to stop, but their efforts haven't worked yet. Action X is still bombarding them, over and over and over.

Then person B and person A are in the same room.
    Action X happens.
    Person B, who rarely is in the presence of action X still has lots of tolerance level for action X, so are able to shrug it off rather easily.
    Person A, however, feels like it's yet another bombardment too many, and this last straw has finally broken the camel's back. Person A flips out and tries to stop action X by whatever means is available to them.
    Person B looks at person A's actions and thinks person A is overexaggerating the effects and affects of action X.
    Person B criticizes person A for being hyper-reactive, irrational, a bitch, etc etc.
    Person A now wants to do bodily harm to person B because it's obvious that person B hasn't a fucking clue how much person A had been tolerating up to that breaking point.

So, to me, "reactive" means that someone's stress levels have been high in some context, and they've finally hit that breaking point, and are trying to get the pressure to stop so they can lower their stress levels and recover some.
    Or maybe they have low tolerance levels in some context, to begin with.
    It might also suggest a person who doesn't like to try to control their environment, which reduces the likeliness that they'll take proactive steps before their breaking point is reached.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally measure reactivity as an enneagram trait by the amount of tension I observe in a person's demeanor, and the frequency with which this tension collides or becomes entangled with another person's projected energy. I realize that's kind of vague. It's mostly about negative emotional permeability. I realize that might sound like gibberish too but this shit IS gibberish so meh.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also see it in a context that leader seemed to be referring to of jumping the gun or overreacting but I don't see this so much in literature so I wonder if it's actually a piece of it, or if it's a generally accepted way of using the word, if it's something seen in reactive types.
    I guess if you think about it in terms of tritype, types with double/triple reactivity will be much more sensitive to things that set off their "THIS IS A BIG DEAL" alarm and will react accordingly. Within singularly reactivity tritypes that function will still be present, but in a perhaps more moderate sense.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just get somewhat pissed when people dare to actually "play" with me, be it overtly/covertly - from that point onward shit hits the fan and I do not want to have much in common with them, if anything. I'm not a very emotional person, nor do I throw temper tantrums, flapping my hands like a chicken flaps its wings after it got its head cut off, no. I go to measures that are going to enable me to actually stay "alive" whatever that means, at the expense of "death" of the other party. So I can offend people, but not always choose to do that.

On this forum, aforementioned games have its enthusiasts, though, so it's a Merry Christmas.

And you didn't wanted literature thrown around, lungs, but Leader actually did that when he recited the E6 description.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    And you didn't wanted literature thrown around, lungs, but Leader actually did that when he recited the E6 description.
    OPEN YOUR EYES YOU FOOLS!!!!!!!

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eh? God damn it, one beer wasn't enough, national/religious holidays start to get on my nerves - I keep missing/not reading posts even without beer goggles on.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Translation: look, an example of reactiveness!

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whatever that is, it looks people involved are reactive as well, but what is the point in wanting to know how somebody is reactive in Enneagram terms, isn't - when that stuff on it floats every personality forum, that is, is it, you want to know how people are reactive versus how they shouldn't be in E-type business?

I mean, it is like that Reinin thread you posted in which one builds fragments to get at the picture. Picture is already there, even though, fragments used are completely off in some cases, it's like getting at a painting of some famous painter - it has its meaning(?) already but re-constructing it, reading it, gives different results.

It's not malicious, so do not bite me. I got curious.
    Last edited by Absurd; 10-31-2012 at 10:47 PM.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I guess if you think about it in terms of tritype, types with double/triple reactivity will be much more sensitive to things that set off their "THIS IS A BIG DEAL" alarm and will react accordingly. Within singularly reactivity tritypes that function will still be present, but in a perhaps more moderate sense.
    I like the "THIS IS A BIG DEAL" alarm thing, that's a really good way of putting it.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the theory, it would be linked to lower levels of serotonin (compared to competency or positive-outlook triad), thus a sensation that obstacles, roadblocks, problems etc. are - relatively - more problematic, bigger, urgent, etc. I would say that for big problems, it really pays to be "reactive" because they tend to be adressed right away - whereas a positive-outlooker will just try to ignore them; vice versa for small problems, where reactives may create drama and overcomplicate a simple situation.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always viewed the reactive triad as searching for reactions from others. Lungs enjoys shocking us with her ridiculous art, I enjoy shocking people with harsh language, and 4's... Idunno maybe their self expression is just shocking all together.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I've always viewed the reactive triad as searching for reactions from others. Lungs enjoys shocking us with her ridiculous art, I enjoy shocking people with harsh language, and 4's... Idunno maybe their self expression is just shocking all together.
    I don't think her point is to shock people, rather just to share with other people things that elicit specific reactions within herself.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no enneagram expert, but I'm E6 and emotionally reactive, so that's how I tend to interpret it.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.