Thread: Complimentary Medicine

Creepy-female

Default Complimentary Medicine

Last edited by female; 07-09-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Creepy-bg

I second the health forum.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ok I will take a look at this.

TIM
    ILE, E5 so/sx, INTP
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sort of against the idea of people checking the forum for health advice, over somebody who is actually certified and knows what they are doing :\.
    ILE; INTP
    5w6 so; rcUe|I|;

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I want a forum of my own where I speak things and people whine that they can't get it as well. Of course, I'm going to give my medicine doc advice.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I think we need a Health section for the forum and perhaps a cosmetics/skincare one as well.
    The second is seconded.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think as long as it's not homeopathy and your using it along with conventional medical treatments and keeping up with your physicians you should be fine.

I've heard a lot of stories about people who relied too heavily on alternative medicine and ended up quite ill. Needless to say you seem much smarter than that.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Health subforum: That second is thirded.

That man's story sounds like so many I have heard; iot all rings true to me. As he was researching, getting close to his appointment, I was thinking: "Don't give up! Keep looking!" because it is out there, its just getting harder and harder to find. The MDs who offered the tea alternative are in danger of getting blacklisted by the medical community. Offering cures not connected to the high-profit pharmaceutical companies is very much frowned upon. Some are willing to risk that because they care more about peoples health than their own careers. That's rare though. Well, so the guy with the kidney problem kept looking and he did find an alternative, and they are out there. And this exchange from that story did not surprise me either:

I then had to inform him that I’d never even filled his prescription for that blood pressure medication, much less taken any. After shooting me a look of 'how dare you!' he asked what had happened. I told him the story as recounted above. He immediately replied that there had been no clinical trials performed on my 'tea' and without a double-blind placebo-controlled study this was voodoo medicine with no science behind it.
    Yes, how dare you. What matters is that you are an obedient yes-patient who does not ever question the doctor's authority and if you do you are a nut-case, or a potentially dangerous person.

Yes, those double-blind placebo studies are pretty expensive and the ones rich enough to fund those are the pharmaceutical companies who will NEVER fund a study on anything natural because you cannot patent and get rich on anything natural. So they have been taught in medical schools to answer in exactly that way when faced with evidence of natural cures. They all answer that way. They have been trained to.

I simply told him that he couldn't argue with the results in contrast to what he wanted to put me through. Drinking a tea 3 times a day in contrast to chemotherapy? That was a no-brainer to me. I also told the doctor if he had other patients with IgAN, he needed to get them on this treatment. He did tell me that he had about five other guys like me with IgAN. I gave him the website hoping he would at least do a little homework, but unfortunately that never transpired. Yes, it sure is a no-brainer and pointing out he has other IgAN patients who would sure like to know aobut his ought to really bother his conscience. But of course he did not pass on that useful info to them. That's how doctors are. They have lost their conscience in that way. Because what is best for the patient, what could save them much harm is no longer their goal, as the Hippocratic oath is not their aim, but making it in their career comes first. Of course they system is stacked so the doctors will choose career over patient health. They have probably got themselves in deep debt and dedicated much of their life for the reward of finally being a doctor, and then getting in more debt to set up their practice, and they are not going to risk getting black-listed from the medical community and becoming destitute quick for advocating non-pharmaceutical cures! Their personal survival means a lot more to them than your health.,

Leaving the doctor's office, I felt I had a new lease on life. The grim reaper's noose had been lifted from me, as far as I was concerned never to return. When I got to my car I immediately called the company I purchased the products from. "Obviously you have this disease figured out and my doctor doesn't -- so what was wrong with me?" I asked. The reply was simple but astounding. The representative from the company replied that I had stored toxins in the liver. The tea I was drinking was nothing more than a long-term but powerful liver and kidney cleanse. Once the toxins were purged, the liver came back to full and normal function and the immune system corrected itself, returning all systems to normal levels with healthy function. Imagine that, all without chemotherapy, drugs, or surgery! A simple tea did that.

If people were allowed to write about and promote natural products and allowed to use health insurance to see natural practioners and by natural products for cures, the expense of national healthcare woudl plummet. But those who have the monopoly on the insurance dollars woudl suffer. They are wining because of their monoploy on healthcare, not because of results.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phthalate View Post
    I'm sort of against the idea of people checking the forum for health advice, over somebody who is actually certified and knows what they are doing :\.
    I am for a free flow of information and opinions.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I was into this sort of stuff for awhile many years ago (which is how I ended up with that brain tuner thing, for example). I still use certain acupressure points occasionally for minor ailments like headaches.

There's a lot of gimmickry out there to be sure (esp. because of New Agers :/). But there's also interesting evidence that some of the methods in practices like acupuncture, homeopathy, naturopathy, mind>body interactionism including meditation and guided visualization, etc. do have actual therapeutic effectiveness.

As with anything else, cutting through the bogusness out there to find competent sources and practitioners who know what they're doing, will be key.
    You have AIDS?

absurd should be deprived of the ability to quote other people's posts and a bot should be tracking down eliza's posts and write the outlines.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
    absurd should be deprived of the ability to quote other people's posts and a bot should be tracking down eliza's posts and write the outlines.
    You should be deprived of reproductive organs.

so,this is where you break.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

so,this is where you break.

Don't you think it is enough? I can keep it going but it is going to get a bit lovey dovey. Just a warning, nothing else.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I will make this forum and start moving threads into it. This is a discussion forum, so the advice that individuals give to other individuals is just discussion. I do think there are members who are healthcare professionals here so it's not like professional advice isn't possible.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    This seems like an incredibly broad subject so I apologize for not being more specific, I've only just started reading about it. Re my kidney disease, there doesn't appear there aren't a lot of truly effective treatment paths in the biomedical approach that don't also subtract significantly from quality of life; there isn't a true cure - only various maintenance techniques. I've been reading about a success story from a person who has my disease and they seemed to put it in remission from some sort of herbal supplementation regime.

http://www.igansupport.org/articles/...cessstory.html

We're learning a bit about the various approaches to medicine in school right now. I've been reading more about possible alternative treatments given that the drugs I'm taking for my condition at the moment seem to significantly detract from my quality of life.

If you have had experience with complimentary medicine of the various branches, even in a a more general sense, I would be interested in hearing your experience.

P.S. @hkkmr, I think we need a Health section for the forum and perhaps a cosmetics/skincare one as well. Also @octo
    Sorry to hear...
    It's actually not an uncommon nephropathy.
    I hope you are already on an ACE inhibitor or ARB... are you? Really important in the setting of proteinuria.
    Also omega-3 fatty acids apparently have some benefit with limited to no side effects.

If i may ask... what are the detractors from your quality of life at the moment? Are you having a lot of swelling? If so, make sure your diet is lower in salt, as a starting point. An ACEI or ARB will alleviate the proteinuria and will also help with the edema (because of decreased protein loss and more oncotic pressure in your vessels keeping the fluid in).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx