0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Norm MacDonald

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Norm MacDonald

Norman Gene "Norm" Macdonald[2] (born October 17, 1963) is a Canadian stand-up comedian, writer, producer and actor. He is best known for his five seasons as a cast member on Saturday Night Live, which included anchoring Weekend Update for three years. Early in his career, he wrote for the sitcom Roseanne and made appearances on shows including The Drew Carey Show and NewsRadio. He also starred in The Norm Show from 1999 to 2001. Comedy Central named him #83 on the five-part miniseries 100 Greatest Stand-ups of All Time. He is noted as one of Conan O'Brien's favorite and most frequent guests on his various talk shows.

---

If you type him ENTp, you lose already. Go away.
    All other typings are welcome.
    Last edited by silke; 05-02-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Comedy is surprises, so if you're intending to make somebody laugh and they don't laugh, that's funny."

- his stand-up, in a nutshell

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've never investigated this guy in detail and don't feel like doing it right now, but on first impression ISTp and sx/sp are circling somewhere around his image in my mind.

Updated typing: SEE-Fi 9w1 sx/so the soc subtype. He has an LSE double-type in socionics, that gave him that Delta ST overlap that he so masterfully plays up on stage. His humor mostly seems to appeal to instinct contra-flow, especially sp/sx.

Last edited by silke; 05-02-2020 at 11:25 AM.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my list of least favorite comedians, Norm MacDonald is squarely in my top 5. God he so completely killed Weekend Update. Basically every joke of his goes like this:

"A man was rushed to a Tallahassee emergency room today after falling out of a 5th story window onto a truck bed filled with broken glass. At the hospital, doctors diagnosed the man with a lot of pain"

fuck that guy

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's funny once in a while but mostly cringeworthy
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    On my list of least favorite comedians, Norm MacDonald is squarely in my top 5. God he so completely killed Weekend Update. Basically every joke of his goes like this:

"A man was rushed to a Tallahassee emergency room today after falling out of a 5th story window onto a truck bed filled with broken glass. At the hospital, doctors diagnosed the man with a lot of pain"

fuck that guy
    I thought that was the whole point of his stand-up - to make humor at the expense of humor, to be funny by being a jerk, by telling these overdue jokes with lame punch lines and creating very awkward moments for his public or his interviewers. His brand of humor is the anti-humor.

I watched another one of his videos and I'm thinking ISTp 9w? sx/sp.
    Apparently ****** doesn't do much for Norm.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    I thought that was the whole point of his stand-up - to make humor at the expense of humor, to be funny by being a jerk, by telling these overdue jokes with lame punch lines and creating very awkward moments for his public or his interviewers. His brand of humor is the anti-humor.
    It doesn't fucking work for me though. I get anti-humor, I'm very much a fan of anti-humor, but the problem with Norm is that none of it really comes out of left field. I don't see any new or interesting perspective on the world with him, he just gives me the impression that "I don't care about being clever or expressing my own positions on anything, rather I'm just gonna sit here and pull on my own dick and see what other people think of it." With anti-humor there's generally some sort of unexpected jolt in the punch line that forces the audience back to reality, but with Norm there's nothing surprising. If his point is to make meta-anti-humor where the joke is that there is no joke about the joke he's telling that has no joke, then he's just gotten too caught up in self-gratification to care about his audience.

I watched another one of his videos and I'm thinking ISTp 9w? sx/sp.
    if this is what ISTp 9 sx/sps are like then I give up personality typology for good

Again there's just nothing unexpected about anything he's bringing to the table. So what that ******'s a bad guy? He doesn't bring to the table anything new about ******, factual or otherwise, that would make anything he says more original than what anybody else has ever said about the guy.

There's another thing in that clip too: he never develops anything. He only ever brings up a simple little thought and talks about it for thirty seconds before completely dumping it for another meandering pointless anecdote. I think about a few of my favorite comedians like Carlin, Dylan Moran, Ron White, and what all of them have that Norm doesn't is that they're all story-tellers. Each of them speaks from their own experiences or unique opinions and talks about their stories in a way that allows them to actively engage the audience with their own lives. This is all what Norm doesn't have, his style of humor seems more want to alienate and distance his audience from himself, and I just can't respect that mindset.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking more ISFp > ISTp.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It doesn't fucking work for me though. I get anti-humor, I'm very much a fan of anti-humor, but the problem with Norm is that none of it really comes out of left field. I don't see any new or interesting perspective on the world with him, he just gives me the impression that "I don't care about being clever or expressing my own positions on anything, rather I'm just gonna sit here and pull on my own dick and see what other people think of it." With anti-humor there's generally some sort of unexpected jolt in the punch line that forces the audience back to reality, but with Norm there's nothing surprising. If his point is to make meta-anti-humor where the joke is that there is no joke about the joke he's telling that has no joke, then he's just gotten too caught up in self-gratification to care about his audience.
    Again there's just nothing unexpected about anything he's bringing to the table. So what that ******'s a bad guy? He doesn't bring to the table anything new about ******, factual or otherwise, that would make anything he says more original than what anybody else has ever said about the guy.

There's another thing in that clip too: he never develops anything. He only ever brings up a simple little thought and talks about it for thirty seconds before completely dumping it for another meandering pointless anecdote. I think about a few of my favorite comedians like Carlin, Dylan Moran, Ron White, and what all of them have that Norm doesn't is that they're all story-tellers. Each of them speaks from their own experiences or unique opinions and talks about their stories in a way that allows them to actively engage the audience with their own lives. This is all what Norm doesn't have, his style of humor seems more want to alienate and distance his audience from himself, and I just can't respect that mindset.
    He seems of rather mediocre creative talent and intelligence, to which I've attributed the mediocrity of his comedy, but I wouldn't say that he is out of touch with his audience or he wouldn't have an audience for his performances. He fills a specific niche, but of course I wouldn't compare him with more talented comedians like Carlin for example.

if this is what ISTp 9 sx/sps are like then I give up personality typology for good
    Norm's typing aside, there are ~ five million ISTp 9s walking on the surface of this planet, and somehow I don't think you're going to like them all no matter what their soc/e-type combination predicts.

His expression style reminded me of quotes by Yogi Berra who gets typed as a 9 - it is as if his thoughts are folding into themselves, forming these absurd twists and turns making the mind ripe for confusion, which is something that I've seen happen with low-to-average health level 9s.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems of rather mediocre creative talent and intelligence, to which I've attributed the mediocrity of his comedy, but I wouldn't say that he is out of touch with his audience or he wouldn't have an audience for his performances. He fills a specific niche, but of course I wouldn't compare him with more talented comedians like Carlin for example.
    Fair enough. I guess if guys like Larry the Cable Guy can get TV shows then Norm can too.

Norm's typing aside, there are ~ five million ISTp 9s walking on the surface of this planet, and somehow I don't think you're going to like them all no matter what their soc/e-type combination predicts.

His expression style reminded me of quotes by Yogi Berra who gets typed as a 9 - it is as if his thoughts are folding into themselves, forming these absurd twists and turns making the mind ripe for confusion, which is something that I've seen happen with low-to-average health level 9s.
    I don't deny his being some ISXp; ISTp could very well fit the bill. He does remind me of some 9s I've known in the past; it might explain what I see as him distancing himself emotionally from the audience. I do wonder how you came to sx/sp though, I would have figured sp/sx.

EDIT: wow, Yogi Berra sounds like such a doof haha
    Last edited by Galen; 10-03-2012 at 06:47 PM.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes me depressed

SLI or ILE
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

i like his Netflix show