Thread: Printing Weapons From Your Own Home (Literally)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Coroner's report: man killed by meteorite had marijuana in his system

Article in The Daily Tontería:

San Hoyo, California: A coroner’s report released yesterday by police confirmed the presence of marijuana compounds in the system of Jonah Ellis, a 23-year-old man who was killed last Thursday just outside the town limits when struck by a meteorite.

Police Chief Dirk Jackson refused to speculate whether this news would have an impact on the upcoming referendum on the legalization of marijuana in California this November, but noted that, “In the 10 years I’ve been in San Hoyo, 100% of meteorite fatalities have been marijuana-related, demonstrating a clear link. It’s certainly got to make you think.”

Calvina Califano, spokesperson for Citizens Resisting Against Pot, had harsher words to say about the referendum. “If legalization passes,” she said, “you can absolutely count on an increase in meteorite strikes. And we won’t be as lucky the next time. People will be smoking pot outside day-care centers, and when that meteorite strikes, the collateral damage will be measured in mothers sifting through the rubble for the mangled corpses of their infant children. Marijuana: harmless? Let those legalizers tell that to the grieving mothers.”

A representative of the Coalition to Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in California claimed that the meteorite strike was unrelated to marijuana use, but was unable to precisely explain why Jonah Ellis was hit.

Scientists note that meteorites are formed from the debris of asteroids, and that there are literally millions upon millions of asteroids. If marijuana is legalized, it could take many years to exhaust the supply, and some say the damage to society could be permanent.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is some kind of awesome that I don't even have words for
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, this is pretty cool indeed. Not long ago, I thought about printing guns with 3D printers, but I imagined the parts to be much too weak to withstand the power of a shot. Well, it actually seems to be the problem if you want to construct a weapon made of 100% printed parts. However, as you have already said, it is probably just a matter of time until you can print objects which are as robust as factory-made originals.

This would really make it almost impossible to keep guns restricted, especially if the laws are very strict, like in Germany. The government may limited the use of printers which work with "hard" materials, but I think this would be rather difficult, considering that most tools and other things need to be solid as well. (On the other handside, they put a law through that makes it impossible for protesters to mask themselves at demonstrations. That's just an example.)

The most interesting chance is the possibility of a broad decentralization of production. If the necessary raw materials, printer technology and "blue prints" were available, we would be able to turn every home into a small factory. Industrialization (almost) destroyed craftsmanship and I think it's possible that the utilization of 3D printer technology could have a heavy impact on the current productive economy as well. Even more jobs would be destroyed, not just because factories are closed down. The easily accessible tools for creation (CAD programs for example, I could already construct mechanical parts on pc) puts the people themselves into the position of creating useable content. Just like selfmade software before, it would then be possible to create "hardware", too. And by the distribution of the plans over the internet, you have everything to create whatever you need in a matter of minutes. This would be truly amazing.

I would appreciate this development since I'm typically supporting technical progress. Even though it would most likely not proceed "smoothly" (meaning there would be a time of chaos in which the people would suffer from the system's inability to adapt), I think it's something we should definitely promote. I believe that this transition is inevitable, 3D printer or not.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the hype is premature.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype