Thread: Question for INTjs: is my way of making tea safe?

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question for INTjs: is my way of making tea safe?

Ohmigosh, I started to write this and then I jsut heard a crack and a splash,. I am writing here because you INTJs are so smart.

I have this big 4-cup pyrex measuring cup. I was making my ice tea - I put raspberry teabags in it, and boil water in the teapot while the pyrex cup waits on a cool burner. [I put it there because once I broke another non-pyrex glass container that sat on the counter, and I thought, perhaps, as the counter underneath was wet, and that seal of it on the smooth counter and the cold-hot must have busted the glass.] So then when the tea boils I pour boiling water into the Pyrex, sitting on the room-temp burner, and add some honey and let it sit to room-temp. Then I pour it into a half-gallon glass container with more cool water and put it in the fridge. This is my regular routine. It seems as if I covered safety - I worry because I understand they don't make the new Pyrex as good as the old.

Well, I am multitasking, typing here and I had the tea sitting where it sits on the cold burner steeping till it gets room temp,

So, multitasking, I decided to boil some water for corn, put the husked ear in the pot and turned up the heat to high, and left the room. Then a bit later I hear a crack and a splash. I go to the kitchen -- I had turned on the burner with the pyrex on it, on high. Its red hot. So I cover my face and turn the burner off, and leave the kitchen, fearing an explosion.

So more cracking and the whole kitchen smells like raspberry while the tea disappears into the stove.

I guess I should wait till its completely room temp to touch it! I picked up glass shards from the floor and see lots of cracks in the almost empty pyrex. I hope it is not stuck to the stove!!

Other than making sure i don't turn on the burner again, is my way of making tea safe???

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... No?

Scoop it straight into the bin when it has cooled to room temperature using cardboard in case it crumbles.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pyrex does not like rapid changes of temperature.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Holy...mole. Don't get near it!
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pyrex tends to break when it is heated unevenly as described, because the hot portion expands while the cool doesn't, and thus blam.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Maybe I won't use the cool burner any more just in case I make that mistake again. Probably a cork mat would be good for the Pyrex cup. When I get another one. I'm so mad I busted a nice 4-cup measuring cup, that nested with my others so nicely.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to find the same Pyrex four-cup measure cup since it nests with, and matches the other I have, which matches other things in my kitchen, and, I just liked it. So I went to Kmart where I bought it, but its no longer sold there. I looked online, and one just sold for $52!!! This is a Pyrex measuring cup!! But the imprint on it is designed by Martha Stewart. Well, I am going to have to buy a $5 mismatched replacement instead. Petty that this bothers me.. people have a lot worse stuff to deal with today...

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    I wanted to find the same Pyrex four-cup measure cup since it nests with, and matches the other I have, which matches other things in my kitchen, and, I just liked it. So I went to Kmart where I bought it, but its no longer sold there. I looked online, and one just sold for $52!!! This is a Pyrex measuring cup!! But the imprint on it is designed by Martha Stewart. Well, I am going to have to buy a $5 mismatched replacement instead. Petty that this bothers me.. people have a lot worse stuff to deal with today...
    You want it to look uniform and nice, rather than sloppy and mismatched, but that price is outrageous. I would wait till I found the right one; you're bound to run into it; you could try local outlet stores or other online sources.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    You want it to look uniform and nice, rather than sloppy and mismatched, but that price is outrageous. I would wait till I found the right one; you're bound to run into it; you could try local outlet stores or other online sources.
    Thanks for the validation of what I really want to do! Wait till there is no bidding war on the one I really want... Meanwhile i have an old Pyrex batter bowl I can make my tea in...

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Thanks for the validation of what I really want to do! Wait till there is no bidding war on the one I really want... Meanwhile i have an old Pyrex batter bowl I can make my tea in...

I wonder if you could contact Pyrex and tell them your story might they be willing to offer you a discount on your purchase. Worth a shot maybe?

http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=17
    -

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you could buy a complete brand-new set of measuring cups, and sell your old measuring cups individually on eBay?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari