User Tag List

Thread: hi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default hi.

an whose knowledge of personality types is pretty eclectic and ungrounded, which is why i decided to join and push my understanding a bit further.

i am soon to be a first-year teacher so i doubt i'll have much time to be actively involved (my reading list for teaching is backed up as it is, nevermind my personal reading list, endless art projects...) but i will do my best as contemplating facets of consciousness puts me at ease in a way that i won't be giving up.

so hello!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

hi

Teaching huh?...that's a hard job
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A teacher who doesn't capitalize? I hope you're a math teacher or an art teacher.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    A teacher who doesn't capitalize? I hope you're a math teacher or an art teacher.
    Brilliant students are going to take care of that.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Weird, I always figured someone named iauiugu would be a Language Arts teacher.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, art teachers can capitalize. And we spel, two.

...Welcome, iauiugu. I hope you have a terrific first year teaching. Its a memorable one!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alls I'm tryin' to say is that if you have a doctorate and can't distinguish what I'm trying to say because some of the letters are in the wrong order, maybe you should get your money back. That's all I'm tryin' to say.
    Last edited by JWC3; 07-31-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i find technical grammar to have a time and a place, and an online forum is not one that i care to use it in. i find that all lower-case letters reflect my personality more, which should be emphasized in casual writing, lest the adherence to writing's structure overtakes its purpose, conveying meaning. i mean to convey who i am on every level of my expression, to the greatest extent that time allows, of which i have much to craft my online presence if i so choose. i would encourage the same of my kids, as i feel its of course important to know all the rules of grammar and how to adhere to them, but for the end purpose of knowing how to best break them, as all rules should be when they are arbitrary and needless. it took my several years of the periphery of reason to find a middleground for myself, and i plan to use all the tips and tricks i picked up on my journey to meet my kids half way in an institution that promotes the conformity that has left the world obscenely oppressive and bland for most humans unfortunate enough to live at this time.

i will be teaching science, despite majoring in and adoring anthropology and fine arts. i am happy for it though, as i would be wasted my young pliable mind teaching something i can't explore with my students on some level, as science has always interested me but not in the way that it was ever taught in school, only in books like Michio Kaku's. plus my nihilistic atheism has fully given way to a science-religion fusion that i can't wait to weave into lessons about the body, the solar system, water and the scientific method. and of course, a bit of knowledge about personality and optimizing socioeconomic roles will be thrown in there too.

my username is a several year old product of banging on my laptop keyboard until it produced something aesthetically pleasing and impossible to pronounce. it's still entertaining to see people struggle against it, but then eventually come around to its allure.

sorry grammar-centric commentary sets me off. but i think i responded to everything i can think to, so far.

i think i am going to enjoy it here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Hey, art teachers can capitalize. And we spel, two.

...Welcome, iauiugu. I hope you have a terrific first year teaching. Its a memorable one!
    Thank you Eliza! your words make me feel better about it, when i've had a day of panic as training picks up again tomorrow. so you teach art? what grade level? how long?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YEAH! Fuck grammar!

*mutters* Jerks.... think their cool cause they got grammar and stuff...
    Easy Day

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    YEAH! Fuck grammar!

*mutters* Jerks.... think their cool cause they got grammar and stuff...
    Their cool cause is what? What is their cause and how is it cool?

Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iauiugu View Post
    i find technical grammar to have a time and a place, and an online forum is not one that i care to use it in. i find that all lower-case letters reflect my personality more, which should be emphasized in casual writing, lest the adherence to writing's structure overtakes its purpose, conveying meaning. i mean to convey who i am on every level of my expression, to the greatest extent that time allows, of which i have much to craft my online presence if i so choose. i would encourage the same of my kids, as i feel its of course important to know all the rules of grammar and how to adhere to them, but for the end purpose of knowing how to best break them, as all rules should be when they are arbitrary and needless. it took my several years of the periphery of reason to find a middleground for myself, and i plan to use all the tips and tricks i picked up on my journey to meet my kids half way in an institution that promotes the conformity that has left the world obscenely oppressive and bland for most humans unfortunate enough to live at this time.

i will be teaching science, despite majoring in and adoring anthropology and fine arts. i am happy for it though, as i would be wasted my young pliable mind teaching something i can't explore with my students on some level, as science has always interested me but not in the way that it was ever taught in school, only in books like Michio Kaku's. plus my nihilistic atheism has fully given way to a science-religion fusion that i can't wait to weave into lessons about the body, the solar system, water and the scientific method. and of course, a bit of knowledge about personality and optimizing socioeconomic roles will be thrown in there too.

my username is a several year old product of banging on my laptop keyboard until it produced something aesthetically pleasing and impossible to pronounce. it's still entertaining to see people struggle against it, but then eventually come around to its allure.

sorry grammar-centric commentary sets me off. but i think i responded to everything i can think to, so far.

i think i am going to enjoy it here.
    oh hey
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'll call you "Iagu."

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Their cool cause is what? What is their cause and how is it cool?

*outraged* HOW DARE YOU!

But seriously... When you dare, how do you do it?
    Easy Day

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Eliza! your words make me feel better about it, when i've had a day of panic as training picks up again tomorrow. so you teach art? what grade level? how long?
    Re: panic: I was just at the natural food section of my local grocery store looking at the array of homeopathic remedies. I noticed one was for "anxiety, panic and stage fright". It would be good to have on hand! Another good thing is Essential Lavender oil; it calms you.

You must be very special, because you are hired! At least here, there are over 1000 (I have heard 2000) qualified applicants for one art teaching position! So remember what is so special about you, and your mission, and your abilities. Aim high - I am sure you have high goals - and expect to make mistakes. You will learn that you can handle mistakes just fine, and that will increase your confidence.

I sub teach now but before my son was born I was the art teacher at a K-2 school for nine years, so, I was tenured, but I forfeited that to stay home with my son. [I hold a Masters and Permanent Certification for my swim in that giant pool of qualified applicants]. What grades do you have?? Are there other art teachers in the building?

I could offer you many tips but I should ask what makes you the most nervous.
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 07-30-2012 at 04:31 PM.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will be teaching science, despite majoring in and adoring anthropology and fine arts. i am happy for it though, as i would be wasted my young pliable mind teaching something i can't explore with my students on some level, as science has always interested me but not in the way that it was ever taught in school, only in books like Michio Kaku's. plus my nihilistic atheism has fully given way to a science-religion fusion that i can't wait to weave into lessons about the body, the solar system, water and the scientific method. and of course, a bit of knowledge about personality and optimizing socioeconomic roles will be thrown in there too....
    Okay, so you are teaching science not art. How so, when you did not major in it?? The above bolded-quote is interesting. You had a conversion?? Not sure what you are saying.

... I recently listened to part of a program where they were saying that recent scientific discoveries - concluding that everything in the universe has an origin/beginning and that no matter "just always existed" makes it difficult/impossible/unscientific for an atheist scientist to deny the existence of God... I thought it was interesting, though, I do not have much to add to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will get some lavendar oil! I got into superfood smoothies the past two weeks thanks to my overzealous father, which I am going to combine with vitamins and the like to stay healthy. Also considering getting an anti-depression perscription that works for good measure. I shouldn't have to depend being around the right people at the right time to not be trapped in my head and avoiding people all the time, I feel.

I got a teaching program through Teach for America, a program that by-and-large allows for districts to prevent teachers from receiving tenure as they are replaced by moslty pre-law post-college folks who are doing their two years of service to poor kids before moving on with their life. I'm here for as long as I need to to maximize my positive impact in the local community and to gain the Se skills I desparately need to do all the good that I know I am capable of in this world.

I will be teaching seventh grade, which most have warned me is one of the most difficult years. Based on my not-so-distant personal experience for the grade I can sympathize with my future kids, as I was struggling with an illegitimate sexuality and pretty crushing social anxiety at the time. I specialize in emotional support as that's what I focused on improving in college as a Resident Advisor, peer mentor and ardent feminist discussions and community building. For this reason I am mostly worried about lessoning planning and classroom management, but fortunately the programs that are training me specialize in this. Do you have any tips to keep class rollng though?

--

I had less of a conversion, and more slowly transition from the perspective that the universe is a random manifestation of chance that humans are an incidental byproduct of, overly reassured in their abilities by the fact that they can't recognize the real and significant limitations on their so-called free will, to the perspective that consciousness is a fundamental force in the universe that should be respected in all its manifestations, as it permeates all, while individual life is a mere moment of division from the totality that is the multiverse.

i doubt that made much more sense, but i tried. i've been settled spiritually for a good few months now so i need a refresher about how to talk about it.

socionics and similar personal models was a huge factor that brought me to greater nihilistic ends as it brought more evidence to my case of human limits. it's still my favorite thing to Fe gush about, but i am slowly weening myself off of the indulgences and refocusing myself on the kids alone, or something close to it.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Greetings; general liking of this thread.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Teaching Tips

I will get some lavendar oil! I got into superfood smoothies the past two weeks thanks to my overzealous father, which I am going to combine with vitamins and the like to stay healthy. Also considering getting an anti-depression perscription that works for good measure. I shouldn't have to depend being around the right people at the right time to not be trapped in my head and avoiding people all the time, I feel.
    This would be one of my tips - find natural solutions for your aliments. If you are stressed and overworked, which you will be sometimes, even if you love your work, and exposed to all those germs in a people-filled environment, you will start getting sick, and will want to deal with it so to keep working, and, unfortuanately, when you have good health insurance, that usually leads you to the doctors office, and to implementing his recommendations, which will keep you going to the doctor and keep you getting more aliments. But your Dad probably already tells you this. And your super-food shake will help your immune system stay strong.

I was the young one in my school, so many of my colleagues there have retired, and I get together with them from time to time (not all the time, they are a huge Fe bunch). However, being obedient types and with good health insurance, they have been faithful with checkups and doctor recommendations over the years, and now that they are retiring (and their generation got splendidly lush retirement incomes), they have health problems (due to years of doctor meds, IMO). Thats the price they paid for being obedient patients. Those one or two who introduced me to alternative health when I started down the wrong road of traditional meds are retired and healthy. I have not found ONE thing that cannot be cured with natural supplements and herbs. Always search online for an natural alternative and you will find one. And hook up with a local natural practioner you hear fo from word of mouth.

As you can find out online, there is really good-for-you alternatives you can take to keep depression at bay. The serotonin-reuptake-inhibitors that are commonly prescribed becasue of intitial good results are bad for your long-term mental and physcial health (you can read on that online).

Anything you use that is natural that works for you very likely is also improving other things about your health: your energy, immunity, etc. Because if its working on the depression problem, its something your body needs. So by taking it, you are preventing other things to go wrong down the road, besides curing the immediate problem.

For depression various standard solutions are Vitamin D3 (supplements, or, better yet, take some sun when you can, without sunscreen. (A good book on this topic is Naked at Noon; I think its free online somewhere), Vitamin C, B-12 vitamins (lozenges are good, and these are an instant "energy" vitamin - good to have in your desk drawer at work) and Omega 3's.

Two excellent ideas for eliminating depression quickly also are L-Theanine (which also improves focus, and levels out any ADD you might have) and 5HTP. Both of these are naturally occuring in food that you probably do't get around to eating a lot of, and deficiencies cause depression. Taking 5HTP will quickly eliminate the depression as well as many other possible problems, including allergies, skin and hair and nail problems (its a kind of beauty supplement) and migraines. I found this out when I decided to take it as a beauty supplement, figuring, why not, since it does a lot of good for the body. I took it throughout one summer, and into the fall, and that fall, for the first time in years - no fall allergies! (Every year I would by homeopathic allergy pills to deal with fall allergy symptoms, but not this year). I was so surprised, I had to think what I did different, and it was the 5HTP.

Magnesium is a deficiency many people have, and taking that suplement cures a lot. Most all Bloodtype Bs are deficient in it, and feel benefits immediately with supplementation. I am A, but I take it for stretches at times for healing (right now its in a daily multiple vitamin/mineral solution I take).

I got a teaching program through Teach for America, a program that by-and-large allows for districts to prevent teachers from receiving tenure as they are replaced by moslty pre-law post-college folks who are doing their two years of service to poor kids before moving on with their life.
    Oh, I think I have heard of this! Is it mostly aimed at city school districts? Tenure is a good thing to have for a hard-working teacher. Not so good for a bad teacher! In my school, I wold have to say they were all good teachers. Even the one or two I was not so sure about for several years....

I'm here for as long as I need to to maximize my positive impact in the local community and to gain the Se skills I desparately need to do all the good that I know I am capable of in this world..
    Wow, you sound like just the kind of person this program was designed for. It is a worthy goal, one to keep referring back to in the thick of things!

I will be teaching seventh grade, which most have warned me is one of the most difficult years. Based on my not-so-distant personal experience for the grade I can sympathize with my future kids, as I was struggling with an illegitimate sexuality and pretty crushing social anxiety at the time. I specialize in emotional support as that's what I focused on improving in college as a Resident Advisor, peer mentor and ardent feminist discussions and community building. For this reason I am mostly worried about lessoning planning and classroom management, but fortunately the programs that are training me specialize in this. Do you have any tips to keep class rollng though?
    I really like 7th graders. All middle and high-schoolers, really. I would definately not say that they are difficult. Truly that is probably a self-fulfilling prophecy! I will explain below with one of my best teaching tips ever.

This tip was published by our school psychologist in our Daily Bulletin for teachers. She said that when you see a naughty, rebellious, rude, troublesome child in your class, don't lable them that. Instead, in your mind, label that child "scared".

That had a profound effect on me. Because I had just one such child that year. Whose exasperated teacher would drop him off with her class, to art, heaving a great sigh of relief for her anticipated 50 minute break! And becasue of this boy, I dreaded this class, and I dreaded this day of the week. When you have 600 kids, its not unusual to have one you find too much to handle, right?

But this advice struck me, and I recalled something else I learned in a teacher workshop, another tip I suggest you never forget. Students need more than punishment, they need rewards. But they need two kinds of rewards. They need rewards (stickers, grades, praise) for doing the expected thing. But they also need reward just for being who they are, for no reason, just for beign there. Oh, I am remembering -- I think this is "Intrinsic and Extrinsic Rewards".

So I decided to take the new strategy with my "bad" student. I was going to see him as "scared" which calls for much more positive attention than "belligerant" or "bad". I would greet him in the hall (he was always first in line, where his teacher could supervise him) before he came into my class, becawue I could not praise him/reward him for being himself when he was misbehaving, which he normally did as soon as he walked in my class. So before he could be bad, I woudld give him an Intrinsic Reward: a happy greeting using his name, an "I am glad to see you". Believe me, this floored him, and shook him off balance because adults were never glad to see him. I used his frozen-surprised moment to "reward" him by asking him to help me with things, or asking a content-related easy-to-answer quesiton I could say, "Thank you!" for, or I gave him the privilege of passing things out or fetchign things (this is big to a 1st grader, not to a 7th grader! -- you use what you can).

And I had a completely different student that day, and I kept it up with him, and after 3 or 4 classes he was never a problem again. A child like this has given up on pleasing any adult, he knows they will hate him, so why bother to try to please? But such a child can please you just because he exists (find a time to catch him before he misbehaves), because he is a child of God, uniquely made in his image, and the goodness is there, somewhere. And when such a child learns there is an adult who can actually be pleased, he will work for that (especially "bad" kids, who have been starved for this).

After this, I never had a "bad" student again! And I had all the kids in the school, around 600; 200 new ones every year, so, its not like I had uniquely good kids.

Teaching is like a world you can shape how you want it.

Oh, I should say, until I solved this problem with the boy, that was the day I would get a sub. I sub now, and I get to sub on those days the teacher would rather not be there. Here is such a story:

One day I was subbing in a high school - a rougher district than I am in now - and the English teacher I was to sub for the next day stopped me in the hall. "I want to warn you, my 4th period class is the worst class I have had in ten years of teaching! They are evil! Watch out! I am warning you!"

Well, that was a bit scary, but at least I have forewarning. Oh - the lesson plans for this mocking bunch of bully boys and sassy girls? Poems! I was to read them poems, and have them write them...

But I knew that "evil" is an unfair thing to be labeled, in your teachers mind,and even if you don't ever hear the words, you sense it. So I would label differently, and prepare myself to like them. I greeted them, I gave them approving eye contact, I ignored what rude things I could (addressing those who made rude comment as if they had just not been rude) and on a couple of occasions whispering to them (Could you please not do that? Thank you.). A lot of thank yous for any effort to make on-topic comments or answer my content-related questions.

Also, besides the surprise of being greeted by a not-angry teacher who did not like them when they came in, there was a fine scent of fresh oranges in the room. "It smells like oranges in here" came some comments. I did not mention that I had put a drop of orange essential oil on each desk [orange is "happy".. its useful at times! Lemon oil helps students think better and do well on tests. Lavender calms them... just nice things to have in your "arsenal" as a teacher]...

When it was about time to go, I went to stand by the door, to prevent that pushy crowding students can do in order to leave early. They stood around me kind of stunned, and one student said, "We're usually not this good!" and another said, "Yeah, we're usually really bad!". And when they filed out, the teacher in the adjoining office - probably sent there to protect me when the students overwhelmed me - emerged to say she was amazed...

I am not telling this to say I am special. That was a unique day - most most of my days as a sub are pretty ordinary. But basic respect will get you really far with every student. Truly, I was set-up to succeed because their regular teacher had given up on them, which was an affront to their dignity. But I tell this to underline what I recommend - always make an effort to impart that you truly respect them as unique persons; it will get you far.

As to moving a class along, I think respecting students different learning/work styles/paces is important. Giving choices of assignments that refer to differing styles is excellent. Teaching to the different learning styles helps a lot. Affording "p" types some allowances for lateness is kind and respectful. Having a routine place for always going over what assignments are due and patiently checking for understanding (near the beginning of class) helps students get organized who are not organized. Calling parents to praise their child's work is always a good thing. 7th graders care about earning things like popcorn parties or stickers or pieces of candy, too. Some students work fast, some need time to work slow. Fast workers can be given extra assignments or free-time to waste, draw, read, or, a lot of kinetic 7th grade boys are thrilled for a choice to push a paper-triangle "football" back and forth on the desk, and they can do this quietly while slower workers finish their assignments. Also a whole class can get excited about the "privilege" of a whole-class ball-toss game in the last five minutes of class (always respecting some student's choices not to participate). They can spend many many minutes cooperating with boring work just for that reward.

One thing I have seen teachers do in my district is assigning "Bellwork" every day. Students come in, pick up the paper in the assigned spot or read the question on the board, and start working, no talking. Then the teacher goes over the answers with them, getting their feedback and talk-on-the-subject-at-hand before starting in on the day's work. In these classes, work always starts in a calm, focused way. As if the Bellwork "primes" the students to start thinking on the topic.

[Oh, one more tip - your "place of class control" during a test or seat work or a movie is not in the front but in the back of the room. If they can't see where you are , it keeps the naughty ones on their toes; then they give in and just do their work...].

[I can't pretend to understand nihilistic athesim, or much else of what you said here on that related topic! But you sound like a sincere truth-seeker, and incorporating truths you know/have discovered into your teaching is always a good thing].
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 07-31-2012 at 07:31 PM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I met a teacher IRL today. Interesting coincidence.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

hiiiiii iauiuguuuuuuuu hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

R.I.P. Raver
    TIM
    ENFP 7W8
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha im just gonna call you lasdkjfoai.

Even though you are a science teacher and you wouldn't really need proper grammar... I thought it would be interesting to point out that I have a friend who is an English major.. and she has the worst grammar EVER when im talking to her.. in texts.. she says your instead of you're and the sentences run on forever!

anyway, enjoy your stay here.. my name is Jason and it is nice to meet you. =)