Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 184

Thread: denver shooting

  1. #1
    he died with a felafel
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default denver shooting

    *mind the environment*
    Last edited by felafel; 08-05-2012 at 04:27 AM.

  2. #2
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,700
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yup, I posted a side story about it here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...al-Destination

    Anyways, it boggles my mind to what compels people to commit such atrocious acts. There's little back story at his life atm, but I'm sure the answers will become clear with time. I wonder if he was abused all his life and couldn't take it anymore and just snapped or if he's just insane and completely evil. I can't really type him now based on the limited information available about him atm.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There's a deeper trend here: first the zombie attacks, now this. (although I think it goes back a little farther). People's fantasies are getting away with them. Delusional individuals are just as dangerous today as career criminals. But the problem is our attitudes both towards our entertainment, and our society.

  4. #4
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This will seem cynical and callous but, after years of observing how people react to these things, I've basically come to the conclusion that people love shit like this.

    It allows the gun rights wackos to project their hero complex and rescue fantasies onto the scenario ("If I'd been there with a gun, we wouldn't be talking about no 12 victims..."); the jejune, pneumatic housewives to wring their hands about the glorification of violence in the media; the droves of disgruntled adolescent schizoids to vicariously vent some of their slowly percolating misanthropy; and finally, the Socionists to delve into a broken mind. (That last one's more tongue-in-cheek, lol.) Sure, there is some genuine horror and grief mixed in there but mostly this is just another titilating, salacious little morsel to satiate people's collectively repressed urges to lacerate the stultifying effects of order and predictability, and exercise our fondness for recreational outrage. An international pasttime, it's become. Twitter and Facebook right now are a circus of thinly veiled bloodlust. There's a true crime forum I found a while back full of bored would-be detectives who thrive on murders of this sort like dung beetles on... dung. The more tragic, the more heartbreaking, the better.

    I'm not judging. It's just that I get the impression that no one really wants this sort of thing to go away. We need our bi-annual massacre. Our real-life horror show. Of course, none of this should be surprising. Species do not evolve all that fast. It was only a relatively short while ago that humans dedicated huge stadiums to watch organized bloodsport, or when people gathered for public hangings and floggings. Actual violent crime as gone down, according to most counts but whatever lead people to the gladiator theatres still exists in our psyches.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  5. #5
    Creepy-male

    Default

    This is fucked up, I heard he shot people up during a shooting scene. It's kind of messed up how people will target others at their most inane and weakest point.

    Also what baby wrote is interesting and that sort of thing has passed my mind, how certain people will be sustained off the suffering of others for their enlightenment or mental stimulation.

    I may have more to say later, but that's all for now.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    strangeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,704
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    This is fucked up, I heard he shot people up during a shooting scene. It's kind of messed up how people will target others at their most inane and weakest point.

    Also what baby wrote is interesting and that sort of thing has passed my mind, how certain people will be sustained off the suffering of others for their enlightenment or mental stimulation.

    I may have more to say later, but that's all for now.
    Yup. That's the allure. It's a revenge thing. There's a certain karma to it. Sometimes the most hurtful thing can be the indifference of all the people around to your suffering. He transferred that onto others. And I'm not saying this is a very good outlet for such feelings or even something that can truly bring a person any kind of karmic peace to do, but that these cause-effect relationships happen on a psychic and abstract level, regardless of how they are rationalized. People that have to label him as evil or scapegoat his actions by stigmatizing a part of culture as the sole cause of his actions are idiots and will only perpetuate these things with their pathetic ignorance and undisciplined minds. And maybe that's all karma really is when people won't realize/accept that they are part of the cycle of harm.

  8. #8
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    k guys, i think it's great you're crawling onto others' psyches (this dude's, mine, and even the collective psyche etc). but pls do try and chime in with your thoughts on the poor chap's type, will ya? k, thanks
    EXTp, Ne-ENTp > Se-ESTp.

  9. #9
    Korpsy Knievel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HereNowTHIS View Post
    This will seem cynical and callous but, after years of observing how people react to these things, I've basically come to the conclusion that people love shit like this.
    Likewise, I've been amused at the predictable rhetoric issuing from libtard blogs and conservatard radio shows inspired by this event, mostly concerning gun control and "the other side's" supposedly nefarious agenda. Even more amusing is that the commentariat I've encountered thus far have have been too preoccupied wringing political milk from this spree killing to pause and at least give lip service to the human loss involved. America, fuck yeah!

  10. #10
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,449
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    After hearing about the event I stopped to consider all the selfish political pundit snobs who would misuse this event to blame the other side for the problem, then proceeded to mentally punch the shit out of them.

    Guy seems Ti and sx last like fuck
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

    http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

  11. #11
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    This will seem cynical and callous but, after years of observing how people react to these things, I've basically come to the conclusion that people love shit like this.
    I don't. I actually like it when people get along. Violence belongs in fantasy. Hatred and sociopathy in real life is just draining and anybody that supports it is weird, like something always seems 'off' about them.

    I know it's easy to see that people like drama and fighting and being cruel and a lot of people are that way, for some reason or another, but there are still sweeties left. Our culture just needs to get over the 'its okay to be an asshole' thing because it really isn't. Well not this level of assholery that's pure destruction... but it starts with minor cruelty.

    The dude's eyes are fucked up btw, like he enjoys trolling the baby Jesus and laughing about it.

  12. #12
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    "Money helps me choose what I want to be. But I don't want to see..."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1xFGv1FN4

  13. #13
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Guys, i think it's a futile exercise to try to type him. He's clearly mentally ill. You can't accurately type someone who has untreated mental illness as it's difficult to separate manifestations of his psychiatric condition from his type-related phenotype.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  14. #14
    Creepy-male

    Default

    You know I don't think its always that bad to analyze the events surrounding things like this. I've always been interested in the motives behind things like this at a guteral level, because it can be very confounding at first glance why someone would perform such a random act of violence. I've also been interested before at thinking at what the possible solution to preventing these things are -- you know delving into things like, maybe it was violent video games, or it wasn't, or maybe its gun control that's the problem. I don't really see a problem with that at first glance. I think the problem is, the political agendas certain people have start off as asking questions on how to prevent things like this, but quickly devolve into something else for pundits. Overtime it becomes less about thinking of actual realistic and rational solutions to societies problems with an empathetic viewpoint and more about appeasing their self-righteous grandiose image of "here's the best plan for America" and then capitalizing on every tragedy or mundane event to support their case and attack the opposition.

    So I guess what I'm saying is I don't think its that bad to think about events like these in terms of politics or crime, I just think that there is a point were it becomes somewhat disingenuous and exploiting, things that may have had their genesis in actual concern for other people but quickly devolved into something different throughout the course of events.

  15. #15
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    boring.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    boring.
    Ye, let's shoot someone, me and you, labcoat.

  17. #17
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    Ya i'm convinced of Ti too... The yearbook pic looks istj to me...

    @WA: obv., i think otherwise.I don't know how *clearly* mentally ill he is, but some people shoot themselves under such circumstances and other people choose to shoot others...there's a difference. feel free to contribute your thoughts to what you believe to be less futile enterprises tho.
    you do have a point there.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  18. #18
    boom boom boom blackburry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What baby said. Everyone elses post was stoopid. And so is typing him.

  19. #19
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    What baby said. Everyone elses post was stoopid. And so is typing him.
    I guess i'm not the only one who thinks so... @felafel
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  20. #20
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    What baby said. Everyone elses post was stoopid. And so is typing him.
    Nyah nyah

    He reminds me superficially of my girlfriends SLI-Si brother, but looks extroverted...ILE-Ti might be right.

    Oh and fwiw I also agree with baby's post. All hail our local buddha for actually having real common sense wisdom to share
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  21. #21
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The guy was probably just increasingly detached from reality. From what I've understood, he came from a long period of unemployment + academic research. Likely has been completely isolated from human contact for 4-5 years. It's not that surprising that he might consider such an act as having no consequences, since he might not have any human affective links anymore.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  22. #22
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    The guy was probably just increasingly detached from reality. From what I've understood, he came from a long period of unemployment + academic research. Likely has been completely isolated from human contact for 4-5 years. It's not that surprising that he might consider such an act as having no consequences, since he might not have any human affective links anymore.
    Still, lots of people are socially isolated and dont go out and do mass murders.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  23. #23
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Still, lots of people are socially isolated and dont go out and do mass murders.
    So, what does this mean? I don't understand the point. Given that he is a mass murderer, ex post you try to find an explanation...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Still, lots of people are socially isolated and dont go out and do mass murders.
    Hitler for example, I heard that wanker drank beer in cellar.

  25. #25
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    So, what does this mean? I don't understand the point. Given that he is a mass murderer, ex post you try to find an explanation...
    I was thinking the same thing about your post. You seem to provide social isolation as an explanation for his action. I dont buy it.

    He might have been socially isolated and detached BECAUSE he has some mental illness (like depression perhaps) and not the other way around.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  26. #26
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I thought he looked like an INFp...
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about your post. You seem to provide social isolation as an explanation for his action. I dont buy it.

    He might have been socially isolated and detached BECAUSE he has some mental illness (like depression perhaps) and not the other way around.
    He had no depression. As long you want to throw disorders around try codependent personality disorder.

  28. #28
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,724
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My only EII cousin was there. He didn't die. I'm glad that theater is bigger than ours. Otherwise a dozen people could have been everybody.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  29. #29
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    My only EII cousin was there. He didn't die. I'm glad that theater is bigger than ours. Otherwise a dozen people could have been everybody.
    OMG that hits really close to home Abbie!! I am glad your cousin is ok...
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  30. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default


  31. #31
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wish it wasn't so easy to just innocently go about buying weapons and explosives over the course of several months and stockpile it all in your apartment. I might be interested in knowing if one of my neighbors has enough explosives in his/her apt to blow up the entire building. I don't know. I think there should be a reporting system on this kind of stuff so law enforcement is aware that someone bought a shitload of lethal weapons in a short time period.
    Last edited by inumbra; 07-21-2012 at 11:34 PM.

  32. #32
    Local Hero Saberstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Man
    TIM
    Robespierre
    Posts
    2,064
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You cannot buy explosives without a construction permit. He was not using explosives but propane and other things that can explode, but that are not sold as explosives.
     
    God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper


    Socionics -
    the16types.info

  33. #33
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    well he still bought several guns - i probably think that should be reported too. i guess he could just say it's for hunting and um his own protection. maybe it just wouldn't go anywhere as far as prevention.

  34. #34
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Crazy fuck survival guide:
    Open space - RUN
    Crowded space - HIT THE DECK
    Outer space - ACTIVATE THRUSTERS
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  35. #35
    Luciforms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Ti-ILE, 6w5- sp.
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  36. #36
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    You know I don't think its always that bad to analyze the events surrounding things like this. I've always been interested in the motives behind things like this at a guteral level, because it can be very confounding at first glance why someone would perform such a random act of violence. I've also been interested before at thinking at what the possible solution to preventing these things are -- you know delving into things like, maybe it was violent video games, or it wasn't, or maybe its gun control that's the problem. I don't really see a problem with that at first glance. I think the problem is, the political agendas certain people have start off as asking questions on how to prevent things like this, but quickly devolve into something else for pundits. Overtime it becomes less about thinking of actual realistic and rational solutions to societies problems with an empathetic viewpoint and more about appeasing their self-righteous grandiose image of "here's the best plan for America" and then capitalizing on every tragedy or mundane event to support their case and attack the opposition.

    So I guess what I'm saying is I don't think its that bad to think about events like these in terms of politics or crime, I just think that there is a point were it becomes somewhat disingenuous and exploiting, things that may have had their genesis in actual concern for other people but quickly devolved into something different throughout the course of events.
    I agree with this. It's not so much that this event provokes genuine concern and discourse about possibly causes/contributors. That is healthy and probably necessary to make any progress. It was more observing how people can so easily turn murder into a form of entertainment, like a real live episode of CSI, or opportunistically and instantly bring out their soapbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Nyah nyah

    He reminds me superficially of my girlfriends SLI-Si brother, but looks extroverted...ILE-Ti might be right.

    Oh and fwiw I also agree with baby's post. All hail our local buddha for actually having real common sense wisdom to share
    I need to find a way to start making money off my verbiage. Rich, fat Oprah > homeless, starving Buddha
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  37. #37
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    He's some sort of a thinker type.

  38. #38
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,724
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    (PS: apologies to Abbie - i didn't realize there might be people here who've had a personal encounter with the event).
    No apologies necessary. My cousin is fine, though I heard he feels a little guilty for not being able to help more. I probably would too if I had that many black belts.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  39. #39
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,929
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am just glad I don't live in Aurora.

  40. #40

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •