Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Let's Type the World's Cities

  1. #1
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Let's Type the World's Cities

    I'll start with NYC, as I've just been there. As much as I ragged on it in the thread about American ugliness, I forgot how much I actually liked that city. I'll probably also get around to doing D.C. and possibly Philly.

    New York City -- overall, probably Beta
    • Greenwich Village/Chelsea = IEI-Fe: artsy, intellectual, arrogant, but understated and more relaxed than the rest of the city
    • Times Square, Theatre District = EIE: dramatic, over-the-top, little regard for aesthetic restraint
    • Midtown Manhattan (except Central Park) = SLE: swaggering, conspicuous shows of wealth, sarcastic
    • Central Park = SEI: quiet, relaxed, but lots of attention to upkeep
    • Financial District (Wall St.) = LIE: extroverted and bustling with activity (Ej-temperament), intellectual, cold and somewhat alienating/dehumanizing architecture built well beyond a human scale
    • Brooklyn = LSI: stoic, aggressive, cynical
    • Garment District, Alphabet City, Little Italy, Chinatown (Lower Manhattan), Jackson Heights (Queens) = all ESE: bustling, sensory overload of different ethnic sights, sounds, smalls, and tastes
    • Harlem = SEI: quieter than the rest of the city, urbanism with an artistic flourish, has a relaxed, earthy aesthetic
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  2. #2
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How large does a city need to be, in order to partecipate?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  3. #3
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    How large does a city need to be, in order to partecipate?
    To prevent this thread from dieing, just do whichever ones you like/are familiar with.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  4. #4
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,612
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    i have a request for minneapolis/st. paul please. i never really travel anywhere so i have no context.

  5. #5
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i have a request for minneapolis/st. paul please. i never really travel anywhere so i have no context.
    Haven't been there myself, so hopefully someone else can do it. You could also try comparing the different parts of the Twin Cities to each other. It might help make it easier to get a feel for their character.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  6. #6
    Luciforms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Ti-ILE, 6w5- sp.
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Rio de Janeiro is ESTP.

  7. #7
    24601 ClownsandEntropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do you think types prefer cities which have types compatible with them?
    Warm Regards,



    Clowns & Entropy

  8. #8
    . willekeurig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think most cities in England would be LIE.. Very functional city plans, public transportation is easy to use, everything happens on time, and all that (Te+Ni?), people are very polite and respectful (Fi valuing?) also often houses of the same street are of different colours that don't match, their fences are ugly as hell and british food is usually both unhealthy and tastes bad (Si polr)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

  9. #9
    . willekeurig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Metropolitan Area in Finland (Helsinki + the big neighbouring cities, that are practicalyl a part of Helsinki) would be SLI imo. People are very restrained, keep their distance and don't like talking to strangers and rarely smile (Fe polr), unless they're drunk which happens often. We also have lots of nice parks and restaurants and beautiful suburbans and beaches and pretty old houses (also Si) buildings are very functional compared to any other country I've been to (double windows to keep the cold out etc), infrastructure is very good.. (Te) Sports like Ice Hockey, F1 and skiing are a big thing here (sound rather ST to me)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

  10. #10
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    NYC is SEE-Se IMO.

    LA has to be EIE-Fe

    Boston is SLI-Te

    Portland, OR is IEE-Ne IMO.

    San Francisco is ESE maybe?

    Amsterdam SEI
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  11. #11
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    DC is alpha/delta with some beta j-sub pockets, like a more urbane richmond, VA. there's a grimly mechanized Te+Si baseline, most of the attractions have a more gamma Te feel, polished and just diverse enough, and there are these very quaint, classic suburban pockets on the outskirts that feel like a completely different world, delta p-sub imo.

    bethesda however is strictly gamma->beta. it's DC's incestuous cousin, basically. the Te/Fi aspect is more in its architecture, and with all the remodeling that's been done, the city layout is rather vague and often circuitous, you kind of just have to know where streets curve into each other. it has a certain daintiness, but the obvious financial potency and understated gild overrides that, a beta j-sub polish. you'll find more beta p-subs there than you expect though, it's relatively illicit.

    LA is definitely p-sub beta rational... the extravagance isn't too distinct, and the activity has this machinated undertone, helicopters flying low, the highway stretching out like some mirage; the gloss is in all the pawn shops and mexican clothing stands, not as pronounced as new york. the corporate district feels out of place. the metro system is great; you don't have to buy a card to ride the train, but (at least it was always my instinct) will most likely be fucked up by a cop who catches you without one.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  12. #12
    Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    POOPLAIR
    TIM
    Alpha NT 5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    4,399
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't believe you can type cities, but this could be a useful exercise. You might be able to trace architecture or art to types, especially if the city is overwhelmingly of one style (possibly even by one or a few like-minded designers).

  13. #13
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    Do you think types prefer cities which have types compatible with them?
    Not sure. I definitely think it's possible to feel more compatible/tuned-into a certain city vs. another. I'm starting to wonder also if one's impression of a city is influenced by one's type. It makes sense that you would gravitate towards those areas that resonate more with you, or be especially sensitive to those aspects of a city that rub you the wrong way. I know I have a love-hate relationship with most cities.

    Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    I can't see New York as anything other than Te/Fi quadra, gamma most likely. Overall, that is. If it *must* be Se, than esfp. And the street layout is as Te as it gets:i just don't think it is possible to get lost, ever, in Manhattan - it's a freaking grid!

    Harlem isfp?? Which Harlem are your referring to?

    Chinatown is probably beta - the most chaotic area imo. Or maybe it's all the shouting
    If you're a local, I'll defer to you. I've only been to Harlem once, and that was to see a jazz concert at the Apollo. That probably swayed me a bit. It's interesting what people focus on when they type a city. I can see the case for Gamma Te Manhattan, both in the grid city aspect, and the fact that New York is a very work-centric city. The New Yorkers I know basically define their existence by their profession. It probably depends on what you focus on, where and with whom you hang out. I spent most of my time around pretentious arts people from NYU, so I got a lot of Aristocratic Fe.

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    DC is alpha/delta with some beta j-sub pockets, like a more urbane richmond, VA. there's a grimly mechanized Te+Si baseline, most of the attractions have a more gamma Te feel, polished and just diverse enough, and there are these very quaint, classic suburban pockets on the outskirts that feel like a completely different world, delta p-sub imo.

    bethesda however is strictly gamma->beta. it's DC's incestuous cousin, basically. the Te/Fi aspect is more in its architecture, and with all the remodeling that's been done, the city layout is rather vague and often circuitous, you kind of just have to know where streets curve into each other. it has a certain daintiness, but the obvious financial potency and understated gild overrides that, a beta j-sub polish. you'll find more beta p-subs there than you expect though, it's relatively illicit.
    This sort of personal, impressionistic stuff is more what I was hoping for. I agree with your take on D.C. and Bethesda. How would you type the different segments of D.C. -- say, Dupont/Adam's Morgan vs. Georgetown vs. Anacostia? Georgetown is definitely LXE to me. It's pretty, but horribly stuffy, uptight, and logical. It's on the banks of the canal, but the wilderness has been hammered right out of it.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  14. #14
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HereNowTHIS
    This sort of personal, impressionistic stuff is more what I was hoping for. I agree with your take on D.C. and Bethesda. How would you type the different segments of D.C. -- say, Dupont/Adam's Morgan vs. Georgetown vs. Anacostia? Georgetown is definitely LXE to me. It's pretty, but horribly stuffy, uptight, and logical. It's on the banks of the canal, but the wilderness has been hammered right out of it.
    hard for me to say, even though I know my way around fairly well, I can't strictly associate every area with a specific name, so I'll just give more concrete divisions. adams morgan/dupont I know, and socially I would characterize it as Ni/Se j-sub irrational. a weird combo, I know, but it has a very mellow undercurrent with a very specific self-containment; there isn't so much an implicit code, as a wavelength of communication just broad enough to allow for things like, motley college students partying out front of a fountain at night, like the alpha little cousins, ya know? another key area is the 10-20 block of Q-U st.; this is more low-key, industrial Ni/Se p-sub vibes, almost like a mini beta->gamma transition. pubs, convenience stores, and quasi-fine dining restaurants strewn along streets that *actually don't curve into and over each other* ... the interesting thing is that in the lower teens just before that letter range, in and out you have these suburban town homes that give a more earthy, traditional delta p-sub feel, definitely redolent of richmond. I went further into northeast once, it honestly wasn't that compelling, aside from festive negro antics and incredible seafood, just Te/Fi mechanization. and I've never been into southwest/southeast. further north in the 19-22 mid-alphabet block range is where you somewhat rid yourself of the bustle and find quaint monuments, sensual town homes, villas and proper buildings. it's about as Si/Ne as it gets, but rather relaxing. chinatown and around the verizon center is just gammafied debauchery.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  15. #15
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe it's because I'm from Kansas but looking at the city and finding different locales to break down is hard. It's very diffuse with weird zoning laws (like casinos can only be on rivers kind of thing). Because of that it's kind of difficult to center yourself and differentiate things since they tend to be pockets that exist with a good deal of distance between them. Overall it's maybe a delta place, though it's kind of an incoherent jumble of architectural styles and doesn't seem to have been planned in any particularly rational fashion.

    The Power and Light District downtown is basically a revitalized part of downtown with a lot of bright lights and a sort of open air courtyard that ties in a lot of different bars facing each other and space enough for concerts to be set up. It's basically where trendy young professionals or people who just have too much money go to pay multiple cover charges and get fleeced on drink prices. Pretty much, if you're looking to meet people with decent jobs in fashionable clothing that offer you coke and stare at you overly intently, that's where you go. Boisterous and loud and too full of popped collars, perfume, and trying really hard.

    Westport and The Plaza neighbor one another but attest to different characters. Westport is more exclusively devoted to more down to earth bars that range from shitty holes in the wall to clean brisk pubs. The bars tend to be more open about the theme they portray in a more authentic way, rather than the sleek more commercially packaged joints in Power and Light. This is pretty much where you can get more affordably drunk walk around town and run into a much wider crowd than you'll find anywhere else. It's also where most of the local music scene takes place.

    The Plaza is architecturally the closest to resembling some sort of intentional design. It's sort of...uh I can't think of the word, but reminiscent of Moorish/Spanish stuff. It's got good mid-high restaurants and bars and has some what I assume are fashion boutiques. I don't know they're the kind of stores that I walk by and my brain shuts off. Very ill planned for traffic since there's not much parking and everyone here drives since there's not much public transportation and cab rides are expensive since everything is so spread out.

    Wyandotte County encompasses most of the downtown Kansas City area. Mostly poor, has an annoying trend of younger people trying to represent the 'Dotte and be haaaaaard. Where I grew up. Mostly not white.

    Johnson County encompasses what the Greater Kansas City area would like to say is the real, non shitty part of Kansas city. It's the richest part of Kansas and I guess is on the wealthy side of counties in the US. It is nice actually, though you run into people with big egos and immense first world problems from time to time. Where I live now. Really white.

  16. #16
    Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Red Sox and Celtics and Bruins, oh my!
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Reykjavik, Iceland seems Beta. Cynical and proud people with a work hard, play hard mentality, somewhat wary about foreigners but warm and welcoming to those who've proven themselves. Hopping art and music scene and ridiculously raucous nightlife. And of course the dramatic Icelandic weather/landscape.

    Not sure if it's possible to type a city, but I felt more at home there than anywhere else I've traveled. I can't really rationalize why.


  17. #17
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    hard for me to say, even though I know my way around fairly well, I can't strictly associate every area with a specific name, so I'll just give more concrete divisions. adams morgan/dupont I know, and socially I would characterize it as Ni/Se j-sub irrational. a weird combo, I know, but it has a very mellow undercurrent with a very specific self-containment; there isn't so much an implicit code, as a wavelength of communication just broad enough to allow for things like, motley college students partying out front of a fountain at night, like the alpha little cousins, ya know? another key area is the 10-20 block of Q-U st.; this is more low-key, industrial Ni/Se p-sub vibes, almost like a mini beta->gamma transition. pubs, convenience stores, and quasi-fine dining restaurants strewn along streets that *actually don't curve into and over each other* ... the interesting thing is that in the lower teens just before that letter range, in and out you have these suburban town homes that give a more earthy, traditional delta p-sub feel, definitely redolent of richmond. I went further into northeast once, it honestly wasn't that compelling, aside from festive negro antics and incredible seafood, just Te/Fi mechanization. and I've never been into southwest/southeast. further north in the 19-22 mid-alphabet block range is where you somewhat rid yourself of the bustle and find quaint monuments, sensual town homes, villas and proper buildings. it's about as Si/Ne as it gets, but rather relaxing. chinatown and around the verizon center is just gammafied debauchery.
    Interesting. I would have characterized Adams Morgan as more IEE -- it's got a sort of Asbury Haight hippie-gone-Yuppie vibe, lol. I agree about the U-St. corridor. The tidal basin/monuments have a very Te/Si feel to me. Very orderly, but softer and less industrial than the surrounding area. I think Pierre Charles L'Enfant was possible LSE.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  18. #18
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Boston is SLI-Te
    LOL
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  19. #19
    when you see the booty Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    everywhere at once
    Posts
    8,449
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    San Francisco can be Fe-ESFj, probably so/sx too. It has a very "come as you are" attitude, if you stretch that phrase to mean "come as you are if you draw attention to yourself in as obnoxious and histrionic a way to illicit reactions from other people under the guise of sociopolitical tolerance." Of course not everybody is like this, but given how the city draws attention to itself in recent times these sorts of people stick out the most.

    I wonder what sx/sp tinged cultures/cities exist. Probably somewhere in the midwest.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

    http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

  20. #20
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    It has a very "come as you are" attitude, if you stretch that phrase to mean "come as you are if you draw attention to yourself in as obnoxious and histrionic a way to illicit reactions from other people under the guise of sociopolitical tolerance."
    I was dissapointed with SF's gay reputation. It didn't really live up to the hype, although I love liberal cities over all. People made it sound like gay men have anal sex in front of you or constantly throw it in your face. I felt highly let down! If you experienced that, then that's weird- because most people were super laid back. I did hear them be more open and talkative about their dorky qualities though. It's like they were less nervous/shameful about being a geek. I never felt like anybody was trying to troll a response out of me though...

  21. #21
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some fun cities:

    Miami = ESE? Merry quadra, very image-conscious, more laid-back and focused on entertainment. I liked it a lot when I was there.

    Las Vegas = SLE? Bold, gambling, sex, bright lights, debauchery. It attracts a lot of SLEs I know, at least, lol.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  22. #22
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm gonna be biased on purpose and say "the country" is Delta, because I can and because you did with NYC.

    It probably has to do with wilderness = plants and animals = food = Si. Right you see how this works.

  23. #23
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think LA as a whole is beta at all (I loved living there too much for that to be true ).

    Venice beach is in-your-face beta (EIE-Fe) in a way that allows me to enjoy its quirkiness for a while until I feel a bit overwhelmed by the great effort to be different and edgy. But when you move away from the boardwalk and walk down Abbot Kinney, Venice becomes much different. Instead of backpacking kids looking to score medical weed and sleeping on the beach, you now have quirky but upscale shops and restaurants. It could still be beta, but in a more IEI way and much more refined and artsy. The same goes for the residential areas with amazingly cute little houses where only artists should live.

    Santa Monica strikes me as delta as it is down to earth, outdoorsy with lots of young upper middle class couples and
    families. It feels very comfortable and friendly in an understated non-fuzzy way. People eating in Vegan cafes and walking their little rescue dogs.

    I lived in Playa Del Rey, which is also delta, but more family-oriented and quiet. A more traditional beach community, not exciting, but friendly and easy-going.

    I have a hard time typing downtown. The commercial warehouse districts are bustling, vibrant, and all about business. Perhaps gamma, but not your typical U.S.-American gamma. More of a Latin American gamma. The banking district on the other hand is purely U.S.-gamma as we know it.

    The Valley might be Alpha, at least Sherman Oaks. It's nice, trendy, but not over-hyped, and somewhat playful. Easy-going and friendly and very livable (except for the scorching heat in the summer).

    Westwood is alpha, playful, lots of students, cultural, light-hearted.

    Beverly Hills maybe gamma?

    Hollywood and North Hollywood maybe beta...not sure.

    I could write more, but I am already sad because I miss LA so much. It has something for everybody, people are friendly, drivers are laid-back and courteous, beaches are great, and SoCal weather rules. Any type can love LA (and LA is all types) and if you don't like it, you have to keep looking.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  24. #24
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Baby View Post
    I'll start with NYC, as I've just been there. As much as I ragged on it in the thread about American ugliness, I forgot how much I actually liked that city. I'll probably also get around to doing D.C. and possibly Philly.

    New York City -- overall, probably Beta
    • Greenwich Village/Chelsea = IEI-Fe: artsy, intellectual, arrogant, but understated and more relaxed than the rest of the city
    • Times Square, Theatre District = EIE: dramatic, over-the-top, little regard for aesthetic restraint
    • Midtown Manhattan (except Central Park) = SLE: swaggering, conspicuous shows of wealth, sarcastic
    • Central Park = SEI: quiet, relaxed, but lots of attention to upkeep
    • Financial District (Wall St.) = LIE: extroverted and bustling with activity (Ej-temperament), intellectual, cold and somewhat alienating/dehumanizing architecture built well beyond a human scale
    • Brooklyn = LSI: stoic, aggressive, cynical
    • Garment District, Alphabet City, Little Italy, Chinatown (Lower Manhattan), Jackson Heights (Queens) = all ESE: bustling, sensory overload of different ethnic sights, sounds, smalls, and tastes
    • Harlem = SEI: quieter than the rest of the city, urbanism with an artistic flourish, has a relaxed, earthy aesthetic
    I think you are spot on. I lived in Manhattan for 6 months because of work (Washington Heights), really didn't feel like I fit in to the city at all... was totally overwhelming and everything seemed like it required a huge hassle to get done (apart from not liking what I was doing for work), so I got out of there as soon as I could. Interestingly, while i lived there, I did gravitate to the parts of the city you refer to as SEI and ESE when i had time to chill (which wasnt too often). On my days off, i usually made a beeline for either union sq/alphabet city or central park; I guess subconsciously it gave me a bit of a mental respite to be there. The other place i liked to go was Morningside Heights around the Columbia Univ main campus. The one place i really wanted to check out and never made it out there was Jackson Heights, actually...

    No inclination to go back there though, anytime soon..
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default


  26. #26
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You forgot the tent-settling vagrant scum which lives down below.

  27. #27
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I don't think LA as a whole is beta at all (I loved living there too much for that to be true ).

    Venice beach is in-your-face beta (EIE-Fe) in a way that allows me to enjoy its quirkiness for a while until I feel a bit overwhelmed by the great effort to be different and edgy. But when you move away from the boardwalk and walk down Abbot Kinney, Venice becomes much different. Instead of backpacking kids looking to score medical weed and sleeping on the beach, you now have quirky but upscale shops and restaurants. It could still be beta, but in a more IEI way and much more refined and artsy. The same goes for the residential areas with amazingly cute little houses where only artists should live.

    Santa Monica strikes me as delta as it is down to earth, outdoorsy with lots of young upper middle class couples and
    families. It feels very comfortable and friendly in an understated non-fuzzy way. People eating in Vegan cafes and walking their little rescue dogs.

    I lived in Playa Del Rey, which is also delta, but more family-oriented and quiet. A more traditional beach community, not exciting, but friendly and easy-going.

    I have a hard time typing downtown. The commercial warehouse districts are bustling, vibrant, and all about business. Perhaps gamma, but not your typical U.S.-American gamma. More of a Latin American gamma. The banking district on the other hand is purely U.S.-gamma as we know it.

    The Valley might be Alpha, at least Sherman Oaks. It's nice, trendy, but not over-hyped, and somewhat playful. Easy-going and friendly and very livable (except for the scorching heat in the summer).

    Westwood is alpha, playful, lots of students, cultural, light-hearted.

    Beverly Hills maybe gamma?

    Hollywood and North Hollywood maybe beta...not sure.

    I could write more, but I am already sad because I miss LA so much. It has something for everybody, people are friendly, drivers are laid-back and courteous, beaches are great, and SoCal weather rules. Any type can love LA (and LA is all types) and if you don't like it, you have to keep looking.
    Have you visited the Thousand Oaks area? If so, what were your impressions?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  28. #28
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Have you visited the Thousand Oaks area? If so, what were your impressions?
    I have only driven through on the 101, but at the very least the area is absolutely beautiful. I spent a day in Simi Valley, which seemed very
    clean and fairly well off. I don't know about type, but if it's anything like Simi Valley, I would say family-friendly and laid back. Did I mention the area is GORGEOUS?! I would move there in a heartbeat.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    dance party
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    LA has to be EIE-Fe

    Portland, OR is IEE-Ne IMO.I
    ???

    Imo portland is definitely SEI. LA I am unsure perhaps IEE/SEE definitely not EIE

  30. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    You forgot the tent-settling vagrant scum which lives down below.
    And the human eating centipede.

  31. #31
    ILE - ENTp 1981slater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Spain
    TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some wild guesses:

    Alpha cities: New York, Paris, Sydney, Toronto, Vienna
    Beta: Moscow, Shanghai, Beijing, Sevilla, Buenos Aires
    Gamma: Madrid, Los Ángeles, Singapore, London, Milan, Málaga
    Delta: Barcelona, Tokyo, Amsterdam, Berlin
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

    To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

  32. #32
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    on a (somewhat) related note: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...email?p=904568

    lol
    Last edited by Park; 09-17-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •