Thread: Distinguishing enneagram type 1s and 8s

TIM
    LIE - Ni
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Distinguishing enneagram type 1s and 8s

I'm not very knowledgeable about the enneagram theory. Although I think my type is either 1 or 8.
    Yet can't exactly nail it, I associate with common parts of both.

How do you normally distinguish both, what are the common differences?

Thanks

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That^
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1s are more perfectionistic and rule-following. 8s are more forceful and resistant to others trying to control them in any way.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LIE - Ni
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In brief, my doubts are coming from the fact, that I am bit too nonchalant about the rules for an E1. The rest fits me well: autonomy, perfectionism issues, emotions restrain.

On other side I'm slightly indirect for an E8. I dominate and lead only when I have a certain task or mission, and don't do it just for the sake it.

TIM
    LIE - Ni
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I am more and more leaning towards 1.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....How 'bout E3.

E3 are about being successful. They also are perfectionists, have restrained emotions, autonomy, blah blah blah. They confuse themselves regularly with being 8s, just like 1s and 6s do. E3 motivations also tie in with LIE's Hidden Agenda, to be "wealthy". They want success.

As for some differences between 1s and 8s.

1s are true perfectionists. Best way of identifying a 1....Most of everything they do and say is about "This is the wrong, this is right." "This is the wrong way to do things, this is the right way to do things." They want everything to be "good", "right", to be orderly. Which points to strong Te. If something isn't in place, they actively try to correct it and seem nitpicky and cynical. They have a tense, anxious quality about them and try to appear noble. I wouldn't say they want to be in control of everything, its more so they want everything to go into accordance of what they believe is perfect, so they when something is out of place they can come off as very controlling. These are more characteristic of an average 1, more healthy ones are more tolerant and relaxed.

Im an 8. Probably one of the most calm, laid back, happy go lucky person you'd ever meet, but with a wild edge. As long as I am in control of myself, I believe I am in control of everything else, my destiny. I am very extreme in temperament. Usually I am very mellow and playful, but sometimes when I have a goal in mind that I am focused on, and things in my life don't go my way for a long time, either I fall into deep depression and isolate myself from everyone else to think (disintergration to 5) or my temper may flair and I become ruthless and destroy everything in my path with no regard. Not all 8s are like this, im guessing some are much more evil and domineering, im a very healthy 8.

What im describing is basically what I described in the ESTj vs ESTp thread.
    Last edited by Leader; 07-22-2012 at 04:15 AM.

Creepy-male

What Radio posted is a good resource

-- off the cuff

1's and 8's are from the gut triad which deals with issues of primal instinct, anger, and rage.

1's handle these issues by focusing on controlling their primal urges and anger and rage. This can lead them to become perfectionist, inflexible, black and white, or morally heroic through transcendence and disciplined mastery of their primal nature.

8's handle these issues by focusing on channeling their primal urges, anger, and rage into constructive action. This can lead to become ruthless, domineering, boss-like, or great leaders and initiators through learning how to help and trust others and act on behalf of something greater than themselves and their own egos.

I'd like to also mention these aren't playful disney archetypes... just because someone is tough, wants to be strong and independent and wants to be seen as a hero doesn't make them an e8. Real e8's struggle with their identities and the pathway towards the better aspects of their persona is litered with all sorts of challenges and hardship. The same with e1's. They aren't always moral paragons and can easily devolve into rigid inflexible black and white fanatic control freaks with an unhealthy bent towards perfectionism and always feeling like they need to discipline themselves more. I'd suggest trying not to relate so much to one single aspect of the type, but see the motives, natures, and themes which underlie the type. One thing I like about the enneagram is how they portray both the highs and lows of a particular type -- this allows one to type themselves and others based on their strength/weaknesses and characteristic internal-conflicts.