Thread: Hey Ni Egos

Creepy-Snaps

Default Hey Ni Egos

Ni egos,

I'm curious about your thought process. I invite you all to watch the 55 second video below and comment on it

This weekend, coming back from an out-of-state trip, we played some movies to pass the time. In watching my all-time favorite movie, Ferris Buehler's Day Off, my INTp friend found the following scene amusing:

He seems to laugh at things like this, and enjoy stories where people, moods, or events change over time. Since Ni is something I'm somewhat oblivious to, if you found this amusing also, please explain what thoughts came to your mind.

Thanks!

Creepy-Snaps

As a 2nd thing, I've noticed he tends to be entertained when someone reveals a part of themselves previously unknown, or out of place. On the trip we have a guy who was an ex-football player in university, a former offensive lineman: he's 6'4", weighs over 250 pounds, and he was eating Skittles. My INTp friend commented that he found it amusing that he would eat Skittles one by one, when someone his size could eat the bag in one bite.

I can see why peculiarities like this could be entertaining, but he certainly seems a lot quicker in noticing them than I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't find it funny. Seems like a lot of drama over nothing - I think I have Si ego though

TIM
    Te-ILI; 5w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The scene was amusing to me cause I've felt like that guy in the video but never acted like that. However if I did it would be similar.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    I'm curious whether you're aware that the 1950s have passed.
    Interesting. To me, it wasn't as important that it's an old movie. I guess Ni is more aware that nothing is concrete, it's all relative, that things change over time, that's why it goes well with Se, wanting to have the biggest, best, and coolest of everything, or be on top of the power hierarchy when things do change.

To me, I like that it's old, a classic, as it seems more stable as a 'fact' that it's great, that it's stood the test of time. I guess a difference between Si and Ni is Si likes to hold onto fact a bit more, or live in the moment, with sensory pleasures, not worrying about how things change. But when they do change, seeing the connections, Ne, is important to us.

So yes. I'm aware the 1950's have passed. Staying on top of the latest and coolest things just has never been really important to me. Thanks for the response!

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by lifebegins View Post
    I didn't find it funny. Seems like a lot of drama over nothing - I think I have Si ego though
    Haha yeah, I guess it was supposed to be an exaggeration. Other types can certainly comment too!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravolez View Post
    The scene was amusing to me cause I've felt like that guy in the video but never acted like that. However if I did it would be similar.
    How would you act?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't find it funny either.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Te-ILI; 5w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    How would you act?
    Hesitations are not evident in this way when I have them. It could be evident that I hesitate but I do not do anything like going back and forth and thinking aloud.
    All this happens inside of my head.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gravolez View Post

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. To me, it wasn't as important that it's an old movie. I guess Ni is more aware that nothing is concrete, it's all relative, that things change over time, that's why it goes well with Se, wanting to have the biggest, best, and coolest of everything, or be on top of the power hierarchy when things do change.

To me, I like that it's old, a classic, as it seems more stable as a 'fact' that it's great, that it's stood the test of time. I guess a difference between Si and Ni is Si likes to hold onto fact a bit more, or live in the moment, with sensory pleasures, not worrying about how things change. But when they do change, seeing the connections, Ne, is important to us.

So yes. I'm aware the 1950's have passed. Staying on top of the latest and coolest things just has never been really important to me. Thanks for the response!
    Nearly everyone is aware the movie was made in the 1980s. My question concerned the antiquity of your stereotyped social views.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics hypothesis:

Ni egos (on average) have greater than usual capacity to detach from their emotions. This allows Ni egos (particularly IXI) to express less emotion than they feel in many situations. In the Ferris Bueler scene, Cameron expresses his extreme emotion in an extreme manner, which said Ni egos strongly desire to do... (exaggerated) wish-fulfillment = comedy, ergo laughter.

The first problem with this theory is that most people, not just Ni-egos, find that societal expectations of behavior do not fit with their changing internal states (see Mark Ruffalo talking about his son as inspiration for the Hulk). I don't know what the rest are, but I'm sure they're there.

And yes, I found that scene quite funny, and I am without any shred of doubt an Ni-ego. It's entirely feasible that many Ni-egos would not find it funny, however. Laughing at a given video is an extremely 'external' behavior and is therefore unlikely to be correlate strongly with type.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I laughed because he was trying to drive the car but got so wound up he couldn't. Even to the point the engine was revving. Surely you drive a car or you don't?

Watch your Ni dominant eat; by the time the dish is approximately 67% complete they will start parcelling off the food around the plate in one way or the other. Some like to eat everything separately (quite autistic) whereas some like myself portion everything into equal bite sizes with a mixture of everything on the plate like a sandwich.

That my friends is progress.

My IEE girlfriend complains I find her antics more 'amusing' than anything else. Wheres the predestination?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Watch your Ni dominant eat; by the time the dish is approximately 67% complete they will start parcelling off the food around the plate in one way or the other. Some like to eat everything separately (quite autistic) whereas some like myself portion everything into equal bite sizes with a mixture of everything on the plate like a sandwich.
    haha wtf are you talking about? are you being serious?

i always eat everything separately. i'm surprised when people comment on it like its weird or something. its separate food so i eat it separately duh?

i'm not ni ego and i didn't find the clip funny.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    haha wtf are you talking about? are you being serious?

i always eat everything separately. i'm surprised when people comment on it like its weird or something. its separate food so i eat it separately duh?

i'm not ni ego and i didn't find the clip funny.
    Sure thing, Fi-Ni

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

lol maybe one of these days I'll change that. but probably not

TIM
    INTx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni egos, I'm curious about your thought process. I invite you all to watch the 55 second video below and comment on it This weekend, coming back from an out-of-state trip, we played some movies to pass the time. In watching my all-time favorite movie, Ferris Buehler's Day Off, my INTp friend found the following scene amusing: He seems to laugh at things like this, and enjoy stories where people, moods, or events change over time. Since Ni is something I'm somewhat oblivious to, if you found this amusing also, please explain what thoughts came to your mind. Thanks!
    I remember when I first watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off this scene was hilarious. It still is. I find it hard to explain why it is hilarious, but I will try: So many things run through my mind, forming a montage of different pictures, emotions, and scenarios. For example, when he is saying "keeps calling, and calling" my mind flashes to Ferris calling, and what he is thinking, wearing, what his surroundings are, and what his intentions are. Then I consider what Cameron when he says "I'll go" repetitively. My mind will flash many symbolic references, and grab, seize, and view from different perspectives the insights of the current mood and other factors. My mind may also momentarily run through a few quick scenarios. The indecisiveness and frustration with his swearing and temper tantrum, along with gunning the engine, drives me to hilarity because of how his character contrasts with Bueller's. The subtle, and obvious, conflicts they share, like when Ferris and Cameron react to Cameron's father's car flying into the woods when they try to roll back the odometer, is plain gold. I am not sure if I adequately explained myself; it is complicated to do so.