Thread: Blankets and household goods

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Blankets and household goods

So, I keep things for a very long time, but I use them so it's not like I hoard them. I have two down blankets, one from when I was a kid and one I purchased a few years ago. I don't like either one because the covers are made out of a tough and "crunch" cotton, but are very durable material and they won't die. Um....I'm a very minimalist person and I like to buy quality things that last a long time, so if I get rid of them I will have to search long and hard for good replacements.

My questions are:

Should I donate them for recycled use?
    When is too old too old? -I never got a good concept of this since I wear things for a very long time.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhh... I guess the real question is: how often do you use the blankets? If you use them quite a bit for warmth during the winter months, then I would suggest keeping them until you find replacements - after all, you did say it would take you quite some time to find decent replacements, and we only have a few months until winter comes around. Also, wtf lol, aesthetics should probably be the least of your concerns.

Don't make the decision difficult. Keep them until you find something you like better, then you can donate or whatever.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerorobyn View Post
    Uhh... I guess the real question is: how often do you use the blankets? If you use them quite a bit for warmth during the winter months, then I would suggest keeping them until you find replacements - after all, you did say it would take you quite some time to find decent replacements, and we only have a few months until winter comes around. Also, wtf lol, aesthetics should probably be the least of your concerns.

Don't make the decision difficult. Keep them until you find something you like better, then you can donate or whatever.
    I'm afraid of looking like someone who doesn't care about my surrounding, afraid of looking like someone who in Armenian my mom says "tap tup vats" which means unorganized and oddly mismatched. I want to look like I can take care of the things around me in some fashion, but yes, overall, aesthetics take a lot of work for me and I don't care about them, this is why I'm asking what people who do care about this kind of stuff do.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do the blankets look worn? have stains? tacky pattern? fraying at the ends?

if yes to any of the above...just buy a new one of the same brand.
    also if yes to any of the above...i think it'd be weird to donate a nasty ass stained blanket.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    Do the blankets look worn? have stains? tacky pattern? fraying at the ends?

if yes to any of the above...just buy a new one of the same brand.
    also if yes to any of the above...i think it'd be weird to donate a nasty ass stained blanket.
    LOL, I donate it to places that recycle them or find new uses for them. For example, leather can be refashioned into purses and such; I believe they refashion old things into new concepts.
    -

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maritsa, trust your instincts.
    IEE-Ne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blankets, I don't like cold. I got few of them. Its your own thing, do whatever you want with it.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odd when I think about this..I tend to keep all my stuff. I remember my friend once randomly decided he didn't want to live in his apartment anymore and was going to move out of state so just left all his stuff behind like tv, bed, desk, etc..I was like wtf. He said he'd just buy all that stuff whenever he got to his destination so I took it all lol. 8 years later, I still have it. If it ain't broke, dont fix it is my philosophy. Ew I bought this faux fur bed spread from bed bath and beyond that sheds everywhere and makes me sweat like a hog in the middle of winter and itches like crazy..that was the only thing I gladly threw away. My cats won't even sit on it.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Err, I have never had a down blanket, but I do own a down winter jacket. It's not hard or crunchy at all. Are you washing them properly?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Donating those blankets to a complete stranger is one step up from recycling them, which is one step up from throwing them away.
    ^ Don't do these.

If you don't want those blankets, give them to a friend who does. But if you use them, keep them.
    If it's not broken, don't fix it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.