Thread: Self-Empathy and Empathy

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Self-Empathy and Empathy

So do you think you are good at understanding other people's emotions (empathy) or better at understanding your own (self-empathy) - or maybe both? How do you think each is important?

And how do you think you tend to deal with emotions in general? What do you consider an emotion?

Edit: maybe I should go first. But I'm going to bed.
    good bye

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm better at understanding my own than others. this is just a bump for now until i wake up more and feel like answering the rest

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't generally view my own emotions as a mysterious thing at all.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely better at understanding others than myself.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better at understanding my own. Being incredibly introspective helps with this.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's easier for me to read others' expressions than be aware of my own, but I always know where I am internally.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gambit View Post
    So do you think you are good at understanding other people's emotions (empathy) or better at understanding your own (self-empathy) - or maybe both? How do you think each is important?
    I know what certain people want to say having had the pleasure interacting with them without saying a word when in some kind of situation and I know how they're going to act. No, I don't read thoughts in their head nor their feelings, I don't think I can.

It happens mostly with people whom I am drawn to in some way and vice versa. Few times, some person actually ended what I was saying in a way I didn't think about but it made perfect sense, it sounded like someone actually played the same song using a different keyboard. It scared me a bit in the beginning, was like what the heck is happening - how on Earth is that possible?

"It" happened on this forum as well and is going to happen again, that I am certain of.

Oh and yes, I bet this is pretty useless reply but I have never thought in terms of empathy nor self-empathy before, I just did things.

And how do you think you tend to deal with emotions in general? What do you consider an emotion?
    1. I'm dealing with them fine?

2. Love, anger, hate?

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Oh and yes, I bet this is pretty useless reply but I have never thought in terms of empathy nor self-empathy before, I just did things.
    It's not useless. It sounds like you don't see much point in reflecting too much on anything, lest these ideas give themselves too much credence, but I don't really know. I guess that kind of makes this seem stupid in light of that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gambit View Post

I'm good at understanding both, though I am perhaps better equipped to deal with others' emotions since there is that insulating factor of distance. Additionally, empathy yields sympathy, which results in further understanding when it comes to others. This is all filtered through my personal paradigm, of course. For example, I can empathize with your nails chipping in the most literal sense, but I couldn't give a fuck otherwise. That said, I find it's generally not needed - the strength and longevity of my relationships attest to that.

For myself, the trend is toward self-pity - which I think is rather unhealthy, unprincipled, and immoral - or as I get older, stoicism. Self-sympathy seems to require an independent ear, an external confirmation to be legitimized. I can get that if I need it, but I don't think I require it.... all that's needed is some time and space to reflect.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype