Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Can Enneagram type 7s be introverted?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Moons of Uranus
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    629
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Can Enneagram type 7s be introverted?

    The descriptions of 7's always imply that they're so bubbly, and energetic.. some even state or strongly imply "extroverted" in the description. But, is it possible to be a slightly more withdrawn, sensitive, introvert and still be a 7?
    I've started to wonder if I'm a 7, I really relate now I'm in a better place mentally/ emotionally. When I was depressed I self-typed as a 1.. reading back on the descriptons I don't relate at all to 1 like I thought I did, the 1 mindset I had was born out of neurosis. I still think that 1 is in my tritype along with 7 and 4. If I was a 4 (which is another strong possiblity) I would have integrated to 1 in a healthy state.. I do relate to 4 descriptions, but I don't integrate into 1. So, maybe I'm a 1 whos integrated into 7?? or a 7 whos no longer desintegrating into 1.... I keep flip flopping between 1,4 and 7 it's really hard to place myself. any ideas

  2. #2
    squark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think 7s can be introverted, but they certainly can have withdrawn periods. The reason for the extroversion of 7s isn't about being bubbly or anything, it's that they are very externally-focused, not very introspective. Very much looking at the external world for stimulation etc.

    What about the 7 do you relate to?

  3. #3
    Roro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    TIM
    6 sp
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Why not? Being introverted doesn't necessarily mean you can't have the core motivations of a 7.

  4. #4
    squark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's video interview on both 4 and 7 that may be helpful:

    Seven- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VemLag8jkA
    Four- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA27yA2AYx0

    When I watched these, it's been awhile, I took down some notes about what the people said, and something that stood out as a difference between them was that 4s are very self-aware and introspective, but 7s struggle with that. Obviously there are a lot more differences, but imo 4 is an introverted type, and 7 is an extroverted one, just if you look at the way introverts relate things through themselves, something that 7s don't do.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    7s are usually elephants.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  7. #7
    FoxOnStilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    TN
    TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Posts
    780
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It depends on how you define introversion. If you mean it in the social sense- drained of energy by being around people- then yes, a 7 can be introverted. But they have to have something to distract them. Most of the 7 descriptions seem tailored towards ExFp types, so they focus more on the relations and "OMG PEOPLE ALL THE TIME" side, but that isn't really a big part of their motivation. 7s just need distraction from themselves.

    Which is why, if you see introversion as having to have some sort of introspection, then, no. A 7 cannot be introverted. 7s avoid introspecting as much as possible because it makes them sad. Me? I'm a 7. I probably come off as introverted. I am the quiet one in groups unless I get amped up about something, but I rarely introspect, because it brings me pain and sadness that 7s try to avoid. Instead, I fill my mind up with ideas. For the longest time, I thought this was the same as introspection, but it isn't. I spend time thinking baout things, how things fit together, my latest obsession, planning for the future, etc., but I don't spend time thinking about myself in the world, my flaws, or how I fit into the universe or relate with others. I only do that when I get bored, and I fall into a depressive funk. It happens when I run out of things to distract myself with mentally, so I do eventually have to venture out of my attic flat and find something new to think about and shake things up in my head. I need external stimulation to get things going in my head before I can hermit off (which I do fairly often).

    It's like a snow globe of stuff, and external stimulation is the snow. I have to add snow or find a new way to shake it up so I can be energized. When the snow settles, I get sad and depressed because I can see the little house and tree and lonely figure there, and it's depressing.

    More cerebral 7s spend a lot of time in their head (again, I have to emphasis, not introspecting, but thinking about things like theories, how the future might play out, a fun trip for the future) that is often missed in a lot of the 7 descriptions you'll find online. The basic motivation of 7 is fear of pain, especially emotional pain that comes from introspection. So while 7s are positive, they can also come off as shallow because they don't dwell on bad things.

    tl;dr- No, 7s can not be introverted, though they can appear to be so if you focus solely on behavior. 7s seem almost purely to be an EP type, and is probably the most common type for that temperament.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I don't think 7s can be introverted, but they certainly can have withdrawn periods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I see E7 as an essentially extroverted type (more so than all the others)
    Same here as long one actually checks and agrees with Enneagram scriptures. The moment you branch out and start devising theories of your own, even though, still based off those official(?) ones found on the Internet or some other external source like a book on the subject, it is no longer Enneagram theory, it is your theory.

  9. #9
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    5 and 7 are probably the strongest tie to Sociotype, where 5 is extreme introversion and 7 is extreme extroversion.

    Please keep in mind that introversion does not equal internal or subversiveness. Likewise, Please keep in mind that extroversion does not equal external or overtness.

  10. #10
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Here's video interview on both 4 and 7 that may be helpful:

    Seven- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VemLag8jkA
    Four- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA27yA2AYx0

    When I watched these, it's been awhile, I took down some notes about what the people said, and something that stood out as a difference between them was that 4s are very self-aware and introspective, but 7s struggle with that. Obviously there are a lot more differences, but imo 4 is an introverted type, and 7 is an extroverted one, just if you look at the way introverts relate things through themselves, something that 7s don't do.
    4 is internal

  11. #11
    squark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadae2point0 View Post
    4 is internal
    Not sure exactly what you mean by internal. Are you referring specifically to their inclination to look inwards - to introspect? With that introspection 4s have a strong tendency to relate everything through themselves, which is a field quality rather than an object quality. They focus on who they are and how they fit in the world, the relationship between themselves and everything else (in a subjective manner rather than with objective criteria.) Everything becomes "personal." Some 4s could be extroverted types but of introverted subtypes: for example EIE-Ni rather than EIE-Fe, because of that.

  12. #12
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Maybe. From personal epxerience, I have noted that 8s tend to be more likely (no absolutes) to have external ego functions and 4s seemed to tend to have more internal ego functions. As such, INFp seems to be the greated margin of the 4s and ESTj to be one of the main subjects within 8s.

    That is how I have seen the spectrum play out. I have seen some odd variables, like the rare ENTj 4 and an INFj 8, but theyre like the dots on a gragh that are few and far between.

    I have yet to see any absolute other than 5 and 7, however.

    For z record, I am not referring to socionic's strict idea for internal, since Fe itself could be considered internal, as all NF ego functions are termed as such. That would imply that an ST could not be a 4 and an NF could not be an 8, which does not seem to match reality. It only seems to create a general spectrum of likelihood.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Moons of Uranus
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    629
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I don't think 7s can be introverted, but they certainly can have withdrawn periods. The reason for the extroversion of 7s isn't about being bubbly or anything, it's that they are very externally-focused, not very introspective. Very much looking at the external world for stimulation etc.

    What about the 7 do you relate to?
    A thirst for life, fun, new skills, understanding, pleasure etc and for self-improvement. I want to improve so I can enjoy life more & better the quality of the present moment. Basically I feel very "vivacious." I'm also quite indecisive to be honest. I'm very open minded and curious, I really want to make the most of life and I have a fear of limiting myself. However, I don't think I hop from one thing to the next as easily as 7's are typical. I'm a typical introvert, social interaction really drains me if it's overwhelming, prolongued, boring or negative etc, sensitive (prone to anxiety issues), prone to fantasize/ daydream..neglect responabilities.

  14. #14
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadae2point0 View Post
    Maybe. From personal epxerience, I have noted that 8s tend to be more likely (no absolutes) to have external ego functions and 4s seemed to tend to have more internal ego functions. As such, INFp seems to be the greated margin of the 4s and ESTj to be one of the main subjects within 8s.

    That is how I have seen the spectrum play out. I have seen some odd variables, like the rare ENTj 4 and an INFj 8, but theyre like the dots on a gragh that are few and far between.

    I have yet to see any absolute other than 5 and 7, however.

    For z record, I am not referring to socionic's strict idea for internal, since Fe itself could be considered internal, as all NF ego functions are termed as such. That would imply that an ST could not be a 4 and an NF could not be an 8, which does not seem to match reality. It only seems to create a general spectrum of likelihood.
    EII 8 wtf?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    EII 8 wtf?
    Socionics-enneagram made easy...

  16. #16
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    in my very limited experience 7 correlates most strongly with EXXp types, followed by ENXj and maaaybe ESXj. intoverted 7 seems a bit counter-intuitive, but i'm sure exceptions exist. i didn't think i'd ever meet an E3 introvert, but as it turns out i know at least one E3 ISFp closely.

  17. #17
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    in my very limited experience 7 correlates most strongly with EXXp types, followed by ENXj and maaaybe ESXj. intoverted 7 seems a bit counter-intuitive, but i'm sure exceptions exist. i didn't think i'd ever meet an E3 introvert, but as it turns out i know at least one E3 ISFp closely.
    By my observation, E3 is the second most consistently widespread Enneagram type among socionics types, behind E6 and in front of E9. The only type I have never seen an E3 example of is ILI. I think E3s are more typically extroverts, but it's probably more something like a 40/60 or 30/70 split, whereas I think most Enneagram descriptions would lead you to believe that "social extroversion" is a very salient characteristic of 3s.

    I think E3 is also probably the second or third most common etype overall, behind 6 and close to 9.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  18. #18
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,804
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    The 7's I've known have been extremely extroverted EXXp's who love engaging with people. It's kind of hard to visualize an introverted 7
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  19. #19
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    The 7's I've known have been extremely extroverted EXXp's who love engaging with people. It's kind of hard to visualize an introverted 7
    You don't think SEIs can be socially extroverted?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  20. #20
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    EII 8 wtf?
    That was my response, too, lol.

  21. #21
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    You don't think SEIs can be socially extroverted?
    Wrong triad

  22. #22
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadae2point0 View Post
    That was my response, too, lol.
    Who? What kind of person? Country of origin? Moar infoz plx
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  23. #23
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diam0nd View Post
    The descriptions of 7's always imply that they're so bubbly, and energetic.. some even state or strongly imply "extroverted" in the description. But, is it possible to be a slightly more withdrawn, sensitive, introvert and still be a 7?
    I've started to wonder if I'm a 7, I really relate now I'm in a better place mentally/ emotionally. When I was depressed I self-typed as a 1.. reading back on the descriptons I don't relate at all to 1 like I thought I did, the 1 mindset I had was born out of neurosis. I still think that 1 is in my tritype along with 7 and 4. If I was a 4 (which is another strong possiblity) I would have integrated to 1 in a healthy state.. I do relate to 4 descriptions, but I don't integrate into 1. So, maybe I'm a 1 whos integrated into 7?? or a 7 whos no longer desintegrating into 1.... I keep flip flopping between 1,4 and 7 it's really hard to place myself. any ideas
    In socionics? Yes. In mbti? No.
    Easy Day

  24. #24
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Or kitties.

    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  25. #25
    Fembot Olimpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    TIM
    IEI-1Ni
    Posts
    6,528
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I don't think 7s can be introverted, but they certainly can have withdrawn periods. The reason for the extroversion of 7s isn't about being bubbly or anything, it's that they are very externally-focused, not very introspective. Very much looking at the external world for stimulation etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    The 7's I've known have been extremely extroverted EXXp's who love engaging with people. It's kind of hard to visualize an introverted 7
    I agree there; all the 7s I have known were Exxp, so I am inclined to believe 7s can only be Exxp.

    That doesn't mean that all 7s will be extreme extroverts in the stereotypical sense. 7s can be SO blindspot and hence less sociable; add to that an introverted subtype and a 4 fix, and the person can definitely seem more withdrawn and ambiverted.
    4w5-9w1-5w6 So/Sx

    My typing blog [x]
    My theory blog [x]
    My tumblr blog [x]
    My film blog [x]
    Discord [x]


  26. #26
    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,705
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes. I know a 794 who is relatively introverted (9 and 4 are withdrawn types). Soc last 7s are also kind of introverted, but the least out of the soc lasts.

  27. #27
    Ben Vaserlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    England
    TIM
    TiNx
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Katherine Fauvre (creator of Tritype and stacking) thinks I'm an introverted 7. See this video from 1 hour 50 mins. https://youtu.be/t_op1neoIPY?t=1h49m55s Note the end of the URL. if you click on it, it will play from the correct point.
    My eponymous typology channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Vaserlan/featured

  28. #28
    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,705
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Vaserlan View Post
    Katherine Fauvre (creator of Tritype and stacking) thinks I'm an introverted 7. See this video from 1 hour 50 mins. https://youtu.be/t_op1neoIPY?t=1h49m55s Note the end of the URL. if you click on it, it will play from the correct point.
    You dont seem introverted lol, but 7 yes

  29. #29
    Fembot Olimpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    TIM
    IEI-1Ni
    Posts
    6,528
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default

    He's got a strong Contact subtype.
    4w5-9w1-5w6 So/Sx

    My typing blog [x]
    My theory blog [x]
    My tumblr blog [x]
    My film blog [x]
    Discord [x]


  30. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Riddler is an example for introverted 7 imo. LII - 7

  31. #31
    Ben Vaserlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    England
    TIM
    TiNx
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Strong contact subtype ... on my territory not outside of it.
    My eponymous typology channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Vaserlan/featured

  32. #32
    Fembot Olimpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    TIM
    IEI-1Ni
    Posts
    6,528
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr inappropriate View Post
    The Riddler is an example for introverted 7 imo. LII - 7
    Hmm... The Riddler seems to be ILE-Ti 7w6 to me, at least in this portrayal of him.

    4w5-9w1-5w6 So/Sx

    My typing blog [x]
    My theory blog [x]
    My tumblr blog [x]
    My film blog [x]
    Discord [x]


  33. #33
    Voodoo Fetishist Jailbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    As seen on T.V.
    TIM
    SEE Sx/So
    Posts
    1,124
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Imo, no, and I've never met one. That doesn't mean we gotta be super extraverted all the time, tho.
    And I'm what you desire, like a siren in the night



    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall
    Everyone, pls give Bled some likes. He craves the likes much like Suedehead craves the cock.

  34. #34
    idontgiveaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,563
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can be introverted.

    Im a type 7 and i love going outside and hanging out with friends and meeting new people! But, after that i need to introvert xD to gain energy like literal energy because i tend to push myself too much. That i literally get exhausted physically but i love it when I'm physically exhausted.
    I can be introvert because i always introspect. Like when i don't have plans for the weekend, i go to this island near a lake and I'll bike around and just chill there. I love nature. i just love to think and roam my mind. It refreshes me..

    And yeah i don't like thinking about negativities because it doesn't exist!

    Geez I'm really a 7! I can relate wahahahaha..

    Only mbti I'm just confused of.

    But I'm an ambivert hahahahaha.

    I can be loud sometimes but i can be very silent too because I have pms. Lol

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •