Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your guide to SLIs-ISTps

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your guide to SLIs-ISTps

... from myself, what I've read about other ISTPs here in Delta, and others...

... talking to ISTPs...

First and foremost, do NOT be manipulative. Don't try and tell us something if you mean or want something else. Especially small stuff. If it's insignificant, and you want something one way, then don't try and be all "nice", just go with it. We'll either say "Yes", or "No", and what we say, we really do mean. Don't be too shy to ask of something that you think we may not want to do. If we don't want to do it, we'll tell you, if we're indifferent, then all's good and it's one less meaningless decision we've had to make for ourselves.

And yes, we really hate it when people are nice to us. It feels like you're being fake, you think we're stupid, and it makes us cringe or just plain get angry. As sick as this seems, we'd rather have someone bitch at us than pretend to be nice when they're just using it as a tool to get something. At least then it's real...

... ISTPs and opinions...

Shroodinger's cat talked about this in her description of ISTPs. Basically? Just let us do what we want to do, and in the way we want to do it. We won't always do something the same way that others do it, but that's ok, because everyone else is just moronic. :wink: But... we'll leave you alone too. In fact, we don't really care what you think, or how you do something, or whatever, as long as you don't interfer with us. Otherwise, we can get angry, and that's something you don't want to see. Just give us options, not opinions.

... ISTPs and competition...

Often times ISTPs can be VERY competative (like all IxxPs), even though we are laidback a lot of the time. Just be aware. When we get into that "mode", and are focused and everything, we lose all and any sorts of things that can resemble "judgment", at which point we are no longer responsible for our actions.

BTW, this also applies to when we are concentrating on something; don't interupt us, really. If it seems like we're doing something, or trying to finish something, there's probably a good reason.

... talking about things like emotions...

It makes us uncomfortable, and we'd try anything to manuver away from the subject as quickly as possible. It just stimulates us WAY TOO MUCH. Emotions to an ISTP is like trying to hit a glass window with a sledge hammer. I'd even have to admit that it's fragile (double ). If you were not invited to our personal world of feelings then don't invite yourself, really. We don't want you in there, sorry.

And we don't like much attention either. It's not an act.

... ISTPs and privacy...

This works similar to the emotions thing. There are a lot of things that we do or know or think that we don't tell people. A LOT. And there's a reason for it... we don't really care. As I said before, we're not fake, and we don't pretend to want something when we really don't, we just do things for ourselves, not to impress others. I know this may sound odd to some people, but the last thing I think about is impressing people.

We're not whores.

... wait, do you hate everyone?...

No, we just don't show it. It's painful to show any emotion. And we'd be surprised if anyone asked us if we were "depressed" or "not having a good time", because we're still probably having a ball. But building on that, we are often oblivious to how we act towards people, and what others' think of us. If people don't like us, we don't understand it. Or most often recognize it. And worse yet, know how to fix it.

We can often act one way one time, then completely different another day, and honestly and truthfully have NO FUCKIN' CLUE THAT WE COME OFF ANY DIFFERENTLY THAN BEFORE. I have literally had people ask me, "What happen to the funny guy I knew yesterday?" And it's only at that point when I realize something wrong. Or even different.

We're oblivious.

... don't tell us to do something more than once...

... or control us, because we heard you the first time. Actually, we take things like that as you viewing us as stupid, which just makes us--> , and --> , and we just feel like NOT doing what you just told us to do if you repeat it. We have a pretty good idea of what we're going to do, when we're going to do it, and how much time we have, so just let us do it our way.

... ISTPs are rarely unhappy with ourselves...

We know who we are, what we want, what we want to do, and how to do it (again), so opinions on any of these matters are not welcome. From what I can gather from other ISTPs, we don't wish we were any other person (generally), or had anyone else's life, or that any part of who we are that we hadn't purposely explored already was different. We're just self-confident, basically. And ISTPs love being ISTP.

So, if you ever have problems with an ISTP, or seem to get them angry or aggressive in anyway, you've done something wrong, broken a rule, and probably have done a no-no mentioned in this thread. And you've also done it for a long time. We're pretty good at getting angry, but not showing it. We'll keep it down for as long as we can, but eventually we have to show you how annoying you are.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As sick as this seems, we'd rather have someone bitch at us than pretend to be nice when they're just using it as a tool to get something. Rolling Eyes At least then it's real...
    B-but if I am being nice to you I'm not necessarily trying to 'get' anything. I'm nice just because I'm nice. I can't stand fake nicencess either (BLECH) but does ANY type of positive emotion make you feel that uncomfortable?

(INFJ here btw)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SLeo123083
    but does ANY type of positive emotion make you feel that uncomfortable?
    Not really. But I guess we'd have to know you at least fairly well. Real positive emotion can feel good. What I was talking about was using positive emotion to sort of... get to an end result... or get us to do something... or feel good when it's clear you're just trying to make us feel better. Anything that seems out of the natural "flow" of actually having fun or communicating with people on a meaningful level.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

This seems like a long list of guidelines that appears difficult to follow when befriending ISTps, but I'm assuming that is for types outside the delta quadra. As for my experience, I've rarely had a problem with them and simply just behave like myself and the relationship works well. With other types I have to monitor my behaviour or an individual will be annoyed or will use it to ridicule me. However, I never get that problem with ISTps and my relationships with them have been mostly positive if I typed them correctly. The only boundary is that I have to be more extraverted than normal and instigate a meaningful conversation in order to get a response from an ISTp.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I'd have much trouble getting along with istps either. I don't do anything that seems to tick them off.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait, do you hate everyone?...

No, we just don't show it. It's painful to show any emotion. And we'd be surprised if anyone asked us if we were "depressed" or "not having a good time", because we're still probably having a ball. But building on that, we are often oblivious to how we act towards people, and what others' think of us. If people don't like us, we don't understand it. Or most often recognize it. And worse yet, know how to fix it.

We can often act one way one time, then completely different another day, and honestly and truthfully have NO FUCKIN' CLUE THAT WE COME OFF ANY DIFFERENTLY THAN BEFORE. I have literally had people ask me, "What happen to the funny guy I knew yesterday?" And it's only at that point when I realize something wrong. Or even different.

We're oblivious.
    YES.

I am so completely oblivious to how I come across to people. Many times I think 'oh, they really like me!' only to know they're thinking 'she's such a bitch'. It really is quite shocking to me. I've become so self-conscious of this, I can no longer 'be myself' around the majority of people. I'm always asuming they're thinking negatively towards me. I guess i'm just projecting it onto them so i'm bringing it upon myself. It's gotten me in trouble at many of my jobs where being a phoney, two-faced, bubbly idiot is what you're expected to be. That's just not me and never will be. I really am sick of putting on the act. Sometimes I just wish people would leave me alone....forever. ha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Rocky i really appreciate these posts about ISTP i find them very interesting.

That being said thats a mighty long list of things i have to watch out for lol..

I met an ISTP when i was 5. He tried to fight me in school and i kicked his arse and we made friends ever since then. Im 23 now and about 2 years ago he moved to canberra(another aussie state) . It was a good move of his because he was not having a good time here. We drifted apart as he would basically get stoned every day and started to get quite violent and angry.

Anyway one day i visited him in his other state and he got really angry at my friend and i for comming to see him as he wasn't on holidays and he couldn't hang out with us. Problem is i basically get my holidays assigned at any other time. My argument was that we were there to see HIM. Anyway he was quite rude when i stayed with him, smoking about 20 cones a day. One night near the end of the trip we went out and he started wailing about something, so i told him then and there that he is now out of my life. I told him that i would not tolerate his anger and rudeness anymore and i left his house and stayed in a hotel.

In all of my years i have never see him cry except then in the middle of a bar

Anyway now looking back i realise that he was going through a hard time as was i. We are now partial friends but dont see each other too often.

So tell me, what good things do the ISTP have to give to others?
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, many, if not most, of those traits, apply to me as well.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger
    I find my best friend to be relaxing, funny and realllllllllllly useful for changing the oil in my jeep =p Also, he is willing to try *almost* anything at least once. *almost* excludes things like parties, malls, drunken madness, etc lol.

I met an ISTP when i was 5. He tried to fight me in school and i kicked his arse and we made friends ever since then
    I met mine when we were in grade school at like age 10 or so. He made fun of my lime green shirt in June-ish so I burnt a hole in his front lawn with a buzzbomb in July. We were best friends ever since![/quote]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...ISTps and desperate need to be understood...

The backbone of their stereotype. This farthest from the actual truth of the type.
    asd

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Yes, a lot of them are reflections of strong over preference.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can be interesting to have in a group. Plus, I guess we're good at fixing stuff or something.

Quote Originally Posted by stefana
    There is an ISTp in one of my study groups. I know what I'm going to do after reading this guide.

I will leave him alone.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

There is an ISTp in one of my study groups. I know what I'm going to do after reading this guide.

I will leave him alone.
    You get what I mean Rocky?
    Yeah...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Yes, a lot of them are reflections of strong over preference.
    Well, then start your own thread.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    This seems like a long list of guidelines that appears difficult to follow when befriending ISTps, but I'm assuming that is for types outside the delta quadra.
    Maybe.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    Yeah but my mom (ENTj) always acts very sweety and syrupy nice to my husband when she wants him to do something for him. He HATES it. He seems less willing to do it after she puts on her act than before.
    Does your ISTP husband agree with this thread?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    It's gotten me in trouble at many of my jobs where being a phoney, two-faced, bubbly idiot is what you're expected to be. That's just not me and never will be. I really am sick of putting on the act. Sometimes I just wish people would leave me alone....forever. ha.

I've always hated this about people. Makes me hate them. Just like Holden Caufield...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-pokeball

We can be interesting to have in a group. Plus, I guess we're good at fixing stuff or something.
    Pfft, dont me One day I showed up at his house and I was like, "WTF is he?" We just walk into each other's homes... we always have. I finally found him all alone sitting at his computer in the dark. I sat there and watched him and was like, "wtf is he doing *boggle*?" He was taking apart all of the freaking custom-made WarCraft 3 maps to see how they worked so that he could make some himself. Instead of using all of the tutorials out there, he gutted the maps to see how everything worked and what he could make from them. So I smirked and then he told me to F off haha.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    ...ISTps and desperate need to be understood...

The backbone of their stereotype. This farthest from the actual truth of the type.
    Maybe. Though what we do want you to know, we'll probably let out eventually. I think one of the problems is context, and fearing that people WILL misunderstand what we have to say if we are not given enough time to fully explain ourselves and the background of it... sometimes...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae

Pfft, dont me One day I showed up at his house and I was like, "WTF is he?" We just walk into each other's homes... we always have. I finally found him all alone sitting at his computer in the dark. I sat there and watched him and was like, "wtf is he doing *boggle*?" He was taking apart all of the freaking custom-made WarCraft 3 maps to see how they worked so that he could make some himself. Instead of using all of the tutorials out there, he gutted the maps to see how everything worked and what he could make from them. So I smirked and then he told me to F off haha.
    That sounds like the way I do things, too. It just more fun that way.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-pokeball

I think so, too. Tutorials are boring :/ Plus it is fun to watch him. I always wish I could do that sometimes because I feel like such a clutz around the little things like auto parts or map code details. I always feel like Im going to break something. On the other hand, I also find a different contrast interesting. Extremely detailed hand work like calligraphy seems to come naturally to me. I can mix and match writing all day long. He seems to have difficulty using anything but his regular print.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, then start your own thread.
    It wasn't a criticism as far as I'm concerned (if that's how you meant it).
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    It's gotten me in trouble at many of my jobs where being a phoney, two-faced, bubbly idiot is what you're expected to be. That's just not me and never will be. I really am sick of putting on the act. Sometimes I just wish people would leave me alone....forever. ha.
    Hehe What is with the act thing, that hits something with me, I find that often i'm 'supposed' or 'expected' to express being happy or something, when I really am inside, I just dont express naturally the whole thing, and have to conciously put it on, its really tiring and stupid. Very rarely happens with just one other person tho

Nice thread rocky, I like that its to the point, real world stuff.

INFJ, ESTJ, and ENFP guides like this would be welcome delta ppl :wink: :wink: .....
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, i realised i might have been a little negative in my earlier post.

"what do ISTP have to give others"

well the guy i used to know backed me up a few times when i really needed it. Like if someone threatened me physically, now i think about it he was always there to back me up.

He also had a knack for making things quite exciting, we would often find ourselves in interesting situations when we went out lol.

ENFP & ISTP are interesting as friends. I basically never ever ring anyone and he is the same so neither of us take initiative to see each other lol.

Anyway im always keen to learn about the ISTP. They are a challenge
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. Though what we do want you to know, we'll probably let out eventually. I think one of the problems is context, and fearing that people WILL misunderstand what we have to say if we are not given enough time to fully explain ourselves and the background of it... sometimes...
    ahaha, at least you don't take the INTp approach and explain yourself for long periods of time. This includes giving detailed information, and discovering entirely new perspectives on the situation(which must also be explained in detail). etc etc

Also, would you say you are direct in non-human issues? Work related stuff, etc.
    asd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, would you say you are direct in non-human issues? Work related stuff, etc.
    Direct? In communication, or thought-process?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Direct? In communication, or thought-process?
    Communication.
    asd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not usually. I think most of the time we're just like, "Whatever", and don't really care. Though if it gets to the point where we're ticked off or restless, then we let them know and people might be able to tell. But then again, we won't be manipulative either...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are in a group of people and there is a problem facing the group would you:

A ) Remain silent, knowing that there may be(or is) someone more qualified than you in the group to dictate the solution of the problem(This conclusion is meant to include apathy, because apathy is basically waiting on other people for initiative)

B ) Present a solution, ask for suggestions

C ) Only present solution if you know you the necessary facts to create a conclusion

D ) Take a, "CHRIST I'LL FUCKING DO IT, YOU GODDAMN CHILDREN" attitude.

E ) Boss people regardless.

And any others you'd like to add. This thread is going to shape up into the best Choose Your Own Adventure(CYOA) ISTp guide yet.
    asd

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A ) Remain silent, knowing that there may be(or is) someone more qualified than you in the group to dictate the solution of the problem(This conclusion is meant to include apathy, because apathy is basically waiting on other people for initiative)
    I doubt it. If anything, that kind of situation would relieve me of apathy.

B ) Present a solution, ask for suggestions
    Most likely, yes.

C ) Only present solution if you know you the necessary facts to create a conclusion
    Hmm... maybe, but B's still better.

D ) Take a, "CHRIST I'LL FUCKING DO IT, YOU GODDAMN CHILDREN" attitude.
    Rarely.

E ) Boss people regardless.
    Probably never. I don't see how that would be productive. Unless of course I started to get annoyed for some reason and the people were too slow.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tangent: how are ISTPs often perceived by other people? (both ISTPs and none ISTPs can answer). Uptight? Grumpy? Laidback? etc...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until people get to know him, people think my husband is grumpy and . . . trying to think of the word my mother used and I can't. Argh. Oh. Aloof.

He isn't at all but it takes a while to get to know him.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tangent: how are ISTPs often perceived by other people?

The way they want to be percieved? I think ISTPs are capable of manipulating their self-image to some extent. Not that it is easy for them to do so, but they can(and do) I think. I 'd guess that we usually do appear grumpy, aloof and are pretty enigmatic to most people untill they get to know us better. We still do remain enigmatic I think even to those we 've come close to. And as Nicky said, it takes I while to get to know us. But there's still people (like my parents) who 've had all the time in the world to get to know us and they still don't know shit about us, our feelings, our motives, our intentions, our inner selves... They just don't see it.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

positively i sort of think of istps as "the funny old little [insert ethnic group here] man" this is mostly because of my czech uncle but comedians such as bill cosby and another istp uncle also give me that impression. what i mean by "funny" is sort of the type of humor found in fiddler on the roof (though the main character, Tevye, is esfj)

either that or the tough warrior (not soldier that is reserved for istjs)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    positively i sort of think of istps as "the funny old little [insert ethnic group here] man" this is mostly because of my czech uncle but comedians such as bill cosby and another istp uncle also give me that impression. what i mean by "funny" is sort of the type of humor found in fiddler on the roof (though the main character, Tevye, is esfj)

either that or the tough warrior (not soldier that is reserved for istjs)
    second one sounds better.

People often tell me that I look serious or anrgy or something a lot of the time. At least people that don't know me. Other people realize that I have a funny sense of humor and view me completely opposite of the first group. I have no idea why. I just give off different impressions to different people.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, well today was quite the experience...went to a baby shower and let's just say i got my fair share of 'what's wrong', 'are you okay'? Argh, some days i just want to go live on my own little island so people could stop analyzing me. haha. I get the 'you look so serious' at least on a daily basis.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems to be the ISTP curse. We're hot, but can't help withholding ourselves from other people. Sucks for them.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eventually your close friends stop asking you what's wrong and you feel slightly more comfortable.
    asd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast