Thread: how wide is your taste in music?

Creepy-bg

Default how wide is your taste in music?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

things i can "sort of" appreciate: extremely wide
    things i personally identify with and listen to upon initiative: extremely narrow

TIM
    IEI-Fe e4 458 Sx
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider myself extremely open to different genres. I can name death metal, mainstream pop, krautrock, glitch hop, rap, classical, electronica, techno, italo disco, folk, prog rock, bossa nova, jazz, idm, noise and soundscape (etc...) artists I like. However, the artists part... I'm super goddamn fucking picky with artists. Often, I only find one or a couple of artist from a genre that I really, really like and then the rest means nothing to me. It's kind of a pity 'cause this makes it really hard for me to find new artists when I can't just search for similar music.

I tolerate a lot of music without really liking it. If I have to listen to something I don't personally like repeatedly it will start to annoy me, but otherwise, I have a hard time naming bands or songs I can't stand at all. People who always have to have music playing in the background when hanging out with me or who "just want to play this one song" that doesn't mean anything to me are a lot harder to stand.
    "Use every ounce of potential you have, raise revolution against what people expect of you, and tell the world this is not a rehearsal. This is the real me. And listen up, ‘cause it could be the most honest incarnation yet."

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by aivonua nainini View Post
    People who always have to have music playing in the background when hanging out with me or who "just want to play this one song" that doesn't mean anything to me are a lot harder to stand.
    yeah, i start getting twitchy when i hang out with people who have to have constant music playing in the background. this one friend used to freak out if she went too long without music playing and start yelling "okay I need music, I'm starting to be able to hear myself think." lol which is like the opposite of me.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm less eclectic than I'd have said. Female vocalists mostly I guess.
    Last edited by munenori2; 05-28-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my taste is fairly eclectic i think, um

http://www.last.fm/user/terraxceles/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Music I enjoy: very wide.

Things I count as music: very narrow.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    Te-ILI; 5w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very wide. Jazz, funk, ska, swing, a little bit of electronic, industrial, rock, metal, death and black metal, punk, alternative rock, avant-garde, experimental ...

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I even see the listing of my favorite genres to be too arduous.

But I don't usually like electronic too much.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i dont think its very wide. but i can appreciate things outside of what i prefer to listen to. and i've gone through different phases, i get bored of things and like new things, and over the course of time i guess what i've liked could be described as eclectic, even if not at any given time.

and yeah, http://last.fm/user/laghlagh

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

14 feet, 2 inches.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Prefer Oi!, rockabilly, psychobilly, ambient/jazz as well mix of psychodelic/eletronic and more. People on here actually post some good music at times so I check it as well.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

the list of what I don't listen to is much shorter

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    IEI-Fe e4 458 Sx
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Use every ounce of potential you have, raise revolution against what people expect of you, and tell the world this is not a rehearsal. This is the real me. And listen up, ‘cause it could be the most honest incarnation yet."

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only super with lungs here, and aivo you listen to/scrobble your own music?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That Sybille song you posted once was not bad at all, Radio.

TIM
    IEI-Fe e4 458 Sx
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    aivo you listen to/scrobble your own music?
    Yeah, why not? Back in the days of making the EP, I had to listen to it a _lot_ to have everything right, usually put scrobbling off on the tracks that had the artist name on them, but sometimes forgot. And what the hell, why would I make music if I didn't like it enough to listen to it?

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    That Sybille song you posted once was not bad at all, Radio.
    Yeah, it was cool! I like it a lot but can't listen to it for too long for some reason.

I've been on the lookout for music that sounds like it (I found it while looking for music similar to Nick Drake, incidentally), but it's really unique and I haven't been able to find anything like it elsewhere. It has this weird sylvia plath-ish vibe. I can't quite describe it.

(for others who don't know what I'm referring to, here: )

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pretty soothing.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything and everything, as long as it's good music...which could be seen as a matter of taste, but I know good music.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prefer Oi!, rockabilly, psychobilly, ambient/jazz as well mix of psychodelic/eletronic and more. People on here actually post some good music at times so I check it as well.
    Okay. Question. I keep hearing / reading people say that they like rockabilly + shit that people who like rockabilly don't usually like. Am I missing something here? Rockabilly is Wanda Jackson, Carl Perkin, and Elvis.

And if you like rockabilly how the hell do you not know any Dylan songs?

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    Okay. Question. I keep hearing / reading people say that they like rockabilly + shit that people who like rockabilly don't usually like. Am I missing something here? Rockabilly is Wanda Jackson, Carl Perkin, and Elvis.

haha you actually pay attention to Absurd

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Never heard of him before, easy. I'm not some, I don't know, music connoisseur like CP below, is. I don't even find, say, some music album to be okay. Usually it is one song out of whole band's repertoire to be honest. The rest, in fact, doesn't exist for me. That Sybille song, Radio posted is actually the only song I find fine and I know she has more.

Rockabilly is not only Wanda Jackson, Carl Perkins and Elvis. Those that I listed above think of as descending in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    haha you actually pay attention to Absurd
    Haha, she does. Duh.

No CP, no cry.

good music iz good music ,no what i'm sayin? the only thing i personally find to be a turn off are band ,album or song titles that are person-focused.i mean,titles with names in them or titles that describe a group or give importance on group dynamics etc. for example i'd never like a song called "mary's song" no matter the genre.a band that has never done that are Boards of Canada.keep it abstract fakkin loozah.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never heard of him before, easy. I'm not some, I don't know, music connoisseur like CP below, is. I don't even find, say, some music album to be okay. Usually it is one song out of whole band's repertoire to be honest. The rest, in fact, doesn't exist for me. That Sybille song, Radio posted is actually the only song I find fine and I know she has more.

Rockabilly is not only Wanda Jackson, Carl Perkins and Elvis. Those that I listed above think of as descending in order.

Haha, she does. Duh.

No CP, no cry.
    Am I going to be ticketed or something for talking to you? Do you have cooties?

Unless you were born in Kyrgyzstan it's not easy to not know Bob Dylan's music especially since its covered all the time Ina genre you say you like.

What I am asking, I guess, is who plays "your" rockabilly because I very much doubt you're a Wanda Jackson fan. It must be new stuff that I haven't heard of and probably would not like.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
    good music iz good music ,no what i'm sayin? the only thing i personally find to be a turn off are band ,album or song titles that are person-focused.i mean,titles with names in them or titles that describe a group or give importance on group dynamics etc. for example i'd never like a song called "mary's song" no matter the genre.a band that has never done that are Boards of Canada.keep it abstract fakkin loozah.
    Is this fer srs?

What of someone wrote one for you?

then it would be for me and i would not expect others to identify with it.all i'm saying is that such titles usually make me think of stupid "you-me-you-me" situations and it gets claustophobic and too face-centered lyric-wise.also "Marina and the diamonds" is a disgusting name for a band though Florence + the Machine is a little better because + and Machine ;and it's not about being pro-technocracy or whatever..

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Electric guitars and saxophones don't make music. They make noise. A kettle drum can be musical.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Am I going to be ticketed or something for talking to you? Do you have cooties?
    I have everything others and you want me to see I have. After some time dealing with this "community" I found that talking sense into most of yous is just a waste of my time.

And as far this passive aggressive wank called CP goes, it's not the first time he got his cunt in a twist. I've seen him make fun of poor old horoscope hitta saying he is fat. Well, I've seen that cunt CP on cam and I don't think he is able to lift a fork.

Unless you were born in Kyrgyzstan it's not easy to not know Bob Dylan's music especially since its covered all the time Ina genre you say you like.
    Unless, you were born in gay land and don't know real music.

What I am asking, I guess, is who plays "your" rockabilly because I very much doubt you're a Wanda Jackson fan. It must be new stuff that I haven't heard of and probably would not like.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have everything others and you want me to see I have. After some time dealing with this "community" I found that talking sense into most of yous is just a waste of my time.

And as far this passive aggressive wank called CP goes, it's not the first time he got his cunt in a twist. I've seen him make fun of poor old horoscope hitta saying he is fat. Well, I've seen that cunt CP on cam and I don't think he is able to lift a fork.

Unless, you were born in gay land and don't know real music.

Well you are a little bit difficult you know. I was being perfectly polite to you and you've suggested that I was um... "born in gay land" and that "I don't know music" because I'm surprised that you don't know who Bob Dylan is.

Anyway now you've hear of Bob Dylan:

He won the presidential medal of freedom this week and was expected the win the nobel prize for literature last last year. He's just kind of important in American music. Like Elvis.

Do you know who the Spice Girls are?

I like Eddie Cochran a lot too. I guess our Rockabilly guys are the same.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well you are a little bit difficult you know. I was being perfectly polite to you and you've suggested that I was um... "born in gay land" and that "I don't know music" because I'm surprised that you don't know who Bob Dylan is.

Anyway now you've hear of Bob Dylan:

Do you know who the Spice Girls are?

I like Eddie Cochran a lot too. I guess our Rockabilly guys are the same.
    Okay, enough is enough. You suggested I was born in Middle Asia which is not true so I said you're born in gay land and gay land is your gay home. As for difficult part, I'm working on it, being more open to people I don't know. Seriously, first time I hear Bob Dylan name but I did hear Joan Baez.

And sure I heard about Spice Girls, they just don't hit my keys, so to speak.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, enough is enough. You suggested I was born in Middle Asia which is not true so I said you're born in gay land and gay land is your gay home. As for difficult part, I'm working on it, being more open to people I don't know. Seriously, first time I hear Bob Dylan name but I did hear Joan Baez.

And sure I heard about Spice Girls, they just don't hit my keys, so to speak.
    Don't worry about it. I'm working on not being difficult too.

I didn't suggest you were born in Kyrgyzstan as an insult. I think it looks like a really interesting county. You can steal wives there! Saying that someone is from "gay land" isn't wonderfully effective either.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Electric guitars and saxophones don't make music. They make noise. A kettle drum can be musical.
    *rrrring-rrrring* Hello? Yes, she's right here. Would you care to -- oh, sure I'll take a message. You'd like me to tell her what? Right, will do.

Abbie? That was 19th century Victorian England. They'd like their culture and elements of style back, please.

TIM
    IEI-Fe e4 458 Sx
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Electric guitars and saxophones don't make music.
    Let us remember that one of the most genius instrumental solos on our planet is actually an electric guitar/saxophone solo (and yes, this is from the 70s, I know, what the fuck)

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aivonua nainini View Post
    Let us remember that one of the most genius instrumental solos on our planet is actually an electric guitar/saxophone solo (and yes, this is from the 70s, I know, what the fuck)

[video]
    I love you

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't worry about it. I'm working on not being difficult too.

I didn't suggest you were born in Kyrgyzstan as an insult. I think it looks like a really interesting county. You can steal wives there! Saying that someone is from "gay land" isn't wonderfully effective either.
    I'm pretty fine with people I know, I'm just not that open with people I don't know due to the fact I don't know them and I didn't take it as an insult at all - that's just misinformation. It's Northern Europe, not Central Asia.

As for effectiveness of gay land it worked against Beta NFs. And ye, now I heard about Bob Dylan

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
    lmao