Thread: Slow reading and IEIs

TIM
    IEI / INFp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Slow reading and IEIs

I'm curious if it's typical for IEIs to be slow readers. I myself read quite slowly and I recently found out that the other IEI I'm close with reads slowly too.

I myself read so slowly that I sometimes can't keep up with movie subtitles. And if I force myself to keep up, my eye concentrate on the subtitles and I don't look at the movie picture any more.

Sometimes I wish I could read quicker and I've been considering following some methodology for learning to read quickly, but in the end I don't feel right about it. I actually enjoy reading slowy and pronouncing the words in my mind. Also I like that I take the text in quite well this way - when studying in school and university I never had to read things more than once. I feel that if I read faster I'd miss something and I don't like that.

Recently when I reading speed came up in a conversation, the other IEI told a similar story, even before I told mine. So I was wondering if it's typical.

If I think about it in terms of functions, I'd say it could be due to the combination of leading Ni (wanting to understand everything) and polr Te (having a hard time judging what would be useful for some purpose).

Can any of the (apparently many) other IEIs here share their thoughts on the subject?
    Thoughts on my theory of how the functions explain it are welcome as well.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

XEI here, I'm a fast to very fast reader. I was noted for it in school/libraries/school libraries. The pace slowed down recently from lack of practice though.

Missing details when reading too fast sounds quite universal. Not enough processing time compared to input rate I guess.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read slow, but thoroughly. Sometimes, I read sentences twice or three times in a book. I calculate slow too, maybe even slower than I read. Perhaps I'm just a slow person.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If you want to read fast try concentrating your energy in the back of your brain instead of the front.

TIM
    IEI / INFp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    XEI here, I'm a fast to very fast reader. I was noted for it in school/libraries/school libraries. The pace slowed down recently from lack of practice though.

Missing details when reading too fast sounds quite universal. Not enough processing time compared to input rate I guess.
    The thing is, I don't want all the details, but I need to read everything in order to decide which details to drop. I feel like: "how can you tell if it's worth reading without reading it?" (<- please don't answer that, I don't want the discussion to drift in that direction)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    I read slow, but thoroughly. Sometimes, I read sentences twice or three times in a book. I calculate slow too, maybe even slower than I read. Perhaps I'm just a slow person.
    I'd imagine people with leading Si often are I'm quite quick in calculating (though I'm not anywhere near this guy's level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVVQ0FZeys)

TIM
    IEI / INFp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    If you want to read fast try concentrating your energy in the back of your brain instead of the front.
    The point is - I'm not really sure if I want to. I enjoy the way I read now and I don't really have any serious problems with it.
    This is NOT a "help me read faster" thread!

My real question is - are other IEIs similar to me and my friend in this respect? And can this be explained by socionics?

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading just a skill and, like any, takes practice. The more you do it; the faster you get. Unfortunately, I developed this skill instead of something marketable.

Anyway, .

TIM
    Se+Ti+Ti
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post

I'm not IEI, and this should be NTR, but I'll describe my reading style.

I read very fast. I skip details but I always skip only the unimportant details. Probably some subconscious pre-processing determines what can be discarded. (Peripheral vision?)

If the topic is new, I'm different though, I will read everything and will have a stronger focus on the details. Yes that makes it slower, so what.

However, an example: at university, before I started it, I had to learn a book for the entrance exam. It was beginner psychology material. I took 10 mins for each page: completely foreign stuff/style.

A couple of years later... 3 minutes for each page of harder material including re-reading and checking my knowledge. (By harder I mean it wasn't entrance exam book stuff)

So yea, practice helps

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read slow, on purpose. I retain the info better when i can link the information together in motion. And that takes me reading slower and not skimming.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm naturally a speed reader I finish books quite quickly, which I se no harm in unless I'm studying - usually I have to go back several times when studying. I should make myself read slowly to absorb the information faster.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slow reader here... IEE though... I can read faster if i'm really interested in a topic, or if it's a really good book, but i do tend to miss things as i read, so i have to go back and reread several times. I relate to what @Pa3s said in that i want to be thorough when i read, it's just i'm so not, but i want to be so i am really careful about not moving on to read the next thing until i'm sure i've gotten everything in a given page/paragraph, etc.

I'vealso noticed that it's hard for me to use my eyes together (if i cover one eye to read, it's easier). Being caffeinated also helps.

If i have to read large amounts of material, like to study, i gotta block off entire afternoons to just sit and equilibrate with the book/journal article. If i'm writing something and i need references, i read a lot quicker, because i'm searching for something in particular.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    I'm generally a speed reader for things where the content is more important than the style, but if it's a very literary novel, I read slowly and sometimes out loud, and sometimes re-read paragraphs just for the lyricism of the words.
    My mom is really into that sort of thing too, and keep telling me and my sister to do so. Except when i'm reading out loud, i miss the entire content of what i just read.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will try that!

Wish i could speed read... i have so much stuff i need to read!!

TIM
    Se+Ti+Ti
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diam0nd View Post
    I'm naturally a speed reader I finish books quite quickly, which I se no harm in unless I'm studying - usually I have to go back several times when studying. I should make myself read slowly to absorb the information faster.
    That method may or may not work better for you. For me what you say does work, that is, I read it fast, take in the details quickly, then go back if needed. Chewing on one bit of information for too long instead of trying to link it up with other concepts to build a structural understanding sounds like a waste of time to me.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Could be due to Weak Te or Se; both are extraverted objected oriented functions; both happen to be weak in me too, so I'm a much slower reader, object processor than my boyfriend, so I can relate to you with this regard. What may be happening in your case is that Fi subconscious may be taking over and causing you to switch to static images and losing track of moving objects like words on a screen that flash at the same time as pictures.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Se+Ti+Ti
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was a joke right?