Thread: Diet tips

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert, but these have worked for me:

- Drink a glass of water before a meal, your stomach will get full sooner
    - Use smaller dishes - the risk of accidentally putting too much food on your plate will be reduced and you'll maybe feel psychologically more satisfied having eaten "a full plate of food"
    - Stop eating when you're full, don't stuff yourself
    - Fiber-rich whole grain products tend to digest slowly so you'll not get hungry too soon again
    - Every time you're about to eat, ask yourself whether you're actually hungry or just bored/used to eat at that time of the day/greedy for that particular food. Becoming aware of the amount of "unnecessary" treats you have each day will probably help to lessen them.
    - Not eating when you're hungry can result in gormandising
    - Only shop groceries when you're content, it's less likely you end up buying chocolate and chips
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drinking a lot of water is generally great health advice. it's a substitute oral fixation for a lot of bad things and keeps your hydration levels optimal.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    I've put on a bit of weight Starfall, at a scary rate... exercise makes me way too hungry
    Not to freak you out or anything, but the first (of 2 times) when I put on weight at a scary rate I had thought it was the meds I was taking....
    But it was happening so fast and I'd been so active and eating right that I feared I had a tumor or a parasite of some kind...
    It turned out to be because I was preggers.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So... anyone got any?
    Work.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat a bunch of small meals instead of a few large ones. Keeps your metabolism up.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat less carbs and more protein snacks and meals. Eat whole grains and not white breads, spaghetti, white rice, etc. Yes, eat like 6 meals a day.... I eat on a bodybuilder's diet. For example, http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/
    Last edited by jet city woman; 05-29-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, diets stress me out too much and while i've lost a lot of weight on them, I just put it right back on when I go off because who is really going to be on a diet for the rest of their life? I dunno, maybe it works for you but the best and most healthiest way for me is to simply count calories. It's like...foolproof. The key is to find out how many calories you need daily to lose weight and just stick to that. Google daily caloric intake to lose weight and a chart should pop up. Since mine is insanely low (1400 calories a day), I break it down and make it easy so I eat 300 calories for breakfast, 500 calories for lunch, 300 calories for dinner with 300 calories worth of snacks in between. IT SUCKS but i lose.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Honestly, diets stress me out too much and while i've lost a lot of weight on them, I just put it right back on when I go off because who is really going to be on a diet for the rest of their life? I dunno, maybe it works for you but the best and most healthiest way for me is to simply count calories. It's like...foolproof. The key is to find out how many calories you need daily to lose weight and just stick to that. Google daily caloric intake to lose weight and a chart should pop up. Since mine is insanely low (1400 calories a day), I break it down and make it easy so I eat 300 calories for breakfast, 500 calories for lunch, 300 calories for dinner with 300 calories worth of snacks in between. IT SUCKS but i lose.

same. but I've used online services like caloriecount.com where you enter what you eat and it does the counting for you. and then you can keep track of how much nutrients you're getting too, like it up grams of protein, fiber, etc. it becomes like a game: how much fiber can I squeeze into 1200 calories today?? lol. its time consuming and probably not sustainable but its the only thing thats worked for me. I need the structure though.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YaY octo is preggo! Male or Female? Will you call him/her Zukhov or Esenin?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    same. but I've used online services like caloriecount.com where you enter what you eat and it does the counting for you. and then you can keep track of how much nutrients you're getting too, like it up grams of protein, fiber, etc. it becomes like a game: how much fiber can I squeeze into 1200 calories today?? lol. its time consuming and probably not sustainable but its the only thing thats worked for me. I need the structure though.
    Yeah so you're only doing 1200? I want to get that low but I feel like i'd be starving all the time. What sorts of things do you eat? I basically live off oatmeal and salads it's a bit boring But see, the good thing with this is that it's not a diet where you restrict certain things so when you do decide to up your intake, all you gotta do is keep your energy levels up in order to not gain. I dunno, this is my favorite method Octo but like starfall said, I'd love to have your body

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yeah so you're only doing 1200? I want to get that low but I feel like i'd be starving all the time. What sorts of things do you eat? I basically live off oatmeal and salads it's a bit boring But see, the good thing with this is that it's not a diet where you restrict certain things so when you do decide to up your intake, all you gotta do is keep your energy levels up in order to not gain. I dunno, this is my favorite method Octo but like starfall said, I'd love to have your body
    oh god, i dont do it anymore, even though i should again. i ate a lot of the same things. oatmeal, chicken and fish, fruits and veggies, plain popcorn. i remember eating a lot of those bars you get in convenience stores lol, fiber plus and whatever. i had a lot of chicken and baked potato dinners, i got pretty sick of that.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stimulants.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The only method that has worked for me long term has been becoming occupied with something more interesting/engaging to the point that all my thoughts of diet and, consequently, of food and eating, would simply dissipate. I've found that the more I focused on dieting - the more frequently I'd recall eating and food - the more likely I was to overeat, since that is what my thoughts were circulating around. The solution for me was then was to not think of dieting, but rather concentrate on other things: other goals, other projects, other activities, people, research, etc. That, and accepting that periodically I'll gain some unwanted pounds, but that it's not a big of a deal to preoccupy myself with, since I'd lose them in future anyways.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes all it takes to motivate yourself to eat more healthy food is to learn some basic facts about what you eat.

this guy provides a summary of a very informative video on the toxicity of sugar. don't judge the message by its messenger. there is a link to the longer version in the video description, but i think the summary captures the most important bits:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMjKEncojQ

see also:
    This Is Your Brain On Sugar: Study in Rats Shows High-Fructose Diet Sabotages Learning, Memory
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0515150938.htm

Creepy-bg

Yeah, when I'm on pseudoephedrine I'm really good at not eating, but tolerance is quick and I don't want to be stuck with congestion when I'm actually sick.
    I know a little trick that you can do with pseudoephedrine that'll make it work even BETTER!

R.I.P. Raver
    TIM
    ENFP 7W8
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I used to vigorously work out and cycling through gaining weight and cutting fat, what I did to lose weight while still retaining most of the muscle.. so kinda like just cutting fat was this routine:

Wakeup
    Brush my teeth as fast as possible
    Eat an Orange (goood for incraseing your metabolism when you eat breakfast)
    Workout for 40 minutes (Cardio)
    Eat Breakfast + protein shake (skip the shake if you want because anything liquid and sweet will just be extra calories.. but my workouts were intense so i needed the shake)
    -it's important you eat within an hour after you wake up or your body will go to starvation mode and you'll actually retain more fat the next time you eat (your body thinks you are starving and converts food to fat)
    -thats also the reason why ppl say you should eat more small meals as opposed to less larger meals

Thats actually it.

Eat foods that have a LOW glycemic index.. meaning they are harder to digest (usually contains more fibre) OATMEAL is the best (but i personally didn't like it much) Whole grains are fine... people are always saying bread and cereals are bad even if they are whole wheat because they're processed.. but really it doesn't matter, better than other things imo.. thats what I ate.

Low glycemic index foods gives your stomach more work and digests slower... so you wont be hungry.. and if you're not hungry, your body will never go into starvation mode.

So really.. the general principle is: Eat Less Calories but NEVER be hungry. so you'll have to eat foods that have low calories but take forever to digest thus you wont be hungry... Oatmeal

Cheers =D

I went from 158 lbs to 150 doing that.. but i think it took 3 months or so. You don't have to exercise.. but it'll just make you more healthy and look a bit better and happier.

I also drank green tea or took a green tea extract pill in the morning.. but they prob only have minimal effects.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also switched my eating to about 85% proteins, non starch vegetables, fruit, beneficial fats, and some dairy.
    The problem for me comes when I am stressed but can't walk, so I go for the starches like potatoes. I'm still trying to find a substitute for that. B complex is helping only a little.

Er, the other 15% covers my starches and sugars once a week.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A theory I've heard is that people tend to go for potatoes as comfort food in times of stress because it promotes the body's synthesis of melatonin and serotonin, so that association has built up.
    I love potatoes, rice, breads, grits, with lots of butter. Those are pretty much my downfall. @anndelise: I have been trying to find healthy substitutes for starches that are satisfying to eat.

Tonight I am going to try this lower calorie garlic mashed potato side dish that contains some cauliflower.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/2140

Last week I made arroz con pollo with no arroz at all! You use grated cauliflower in place of the rice. It was delicious.

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/310636...rroz-con-pollo

Clearance level: 10 (9 is maximum) Fermi's Avatar
    TIM
    entp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eat like a NT who's working on something interesting
    is like a wet kiss on the cheek and a warm hug by a cute smiling girl.
    is the confetti shots on your birthday party with all your friends.
    is a way to completely rip apart the face of god and stare directly at the naked universe.
    is like over here and then over there and they are all connected and I am on amphetamine.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    I love potatoes, rice, breads, grits, with lots of butter. Those are pretty much my downfall. @anndelise: I have been trying to find healthy substitutes for starches that are satisfying to eat.

Tonight I am going to try this lower calorie garlic mashed potato side dish that contains some cauliflower.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/2140

Last week I made arroz con pollo with no arroz at all! You use grated cauliflower in place of the rice. It was delicious.

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/310636...rroz-con-pollo
    Yes, cauliflower makes a great substitution for rice. I also use chopped veggies as 'noodles'. Though stripped up zucchini waters down a sauce/dish when using it to replace spaghetti/lasagna noodles.

I also often use sweet potatoes, yams, or squash to replace potatos in dishes. But frankly, while I like each of them, I still prefer the taste and texture of potatoes.

For bread, I use Ezekial bread, which uses sprouts as the flower. The texture is different, but regular bread always makes me sick.

I haven't yet had the mental capacity to look up stress/depression food substitutes. (been too stressed and depressed, bah)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oats

Creepy-pokeball

So... anyone got any?
    Develop a disorder. It works for me every other year!

Creepy-pokeball

Yeah, when I'm on pseudoephedrine I'm really good at not eating, but tolerance is quick and I don't want to be stuck with congestion when I'm actually sick.
    omg lol. =/ You know better, too!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the water thing really work? It's never worked for me. But if I drink more than a glass I honestly feel sick to my stomach. I can't tolerate drinking water unless I'm very thirsty.

I'm so sick of dieting. I was doing so good watching what I eat and I've recently somehow gained and after a month of being strict as hell, have only lost a total of 2 lbs. blah. Ppl can say you look fine all day but if you feel like shit, it doesn't matter. I'm not looking for "you're not fat!". I'm sincerely effing tired of my crappy metabolism and feel like complaining. I feel like abusing amphetamines.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't eat food.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I practically don't anymore. The weird thing is that when I diet, I don't lose a thing and actually gain sometimes and when I eat fast food and don't watch what I eat at all, I don't gain a thing. It can't be because I'm not getting enough calories when I diet, I never go below 1400 calories a day. My body is so weird. Eff it, I'm going back to pizzas.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Healthy Three-Day Diet

Day 1: Eat nothing but raw vegetables. Eat as much as you want.
    Day 2: Eat nothing but raw fruit. Eat as much as you want.
    Day 3: Eat nothing but raw vegetables. Eat as much as you want.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And just don't eat for the next 4 days? Fruit sux.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    I love organic fruit

But yeah, the raw food diet will make you lose a lot of weight. It's kind of gross, actually. People on it look terminally ill.

I wouldn't recommend dieting. The best way to get healthy weight is to eat unprocessed fresh cooked meals and control your portion size. People usually eat way more than they actually need. If you buy a large pizza and can eat more than two slices in a sitting, you're doing it wrong.
    If eating more than two slices of pizza once in a while is a problem for you, you're doing it wrong. Dear God, I'm glad I'm not a girl.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can eat the whole thing

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Simple.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, diets stress me out too much and while i've lost a lot of weight on them, I just put it right back on when I go off because who is really going to be on a diet for the rest of their life? I dunno, maybe it works for you but the best and most healthiest way for me is to simply count calories. It's like...foolproof.
    rlly seems super healthy and foolproof considering all the crap food you can eat to meet your requirement.

The key is to find out how many calories you need daily to lose weight and just stick to that. Google daily caloric intake to lose weight and a chart should pop up. Since mine is insanely low (1400 calories a day), I break it down and make it easy so I eat 300 calories for breakfast, 500 calories for lunch, 300 calories for dinner with 300 calories worth of snacks in between. IT SUCKS but i lose
    hate to break it to you but restricting your calorie intake is also a diet.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girls dieting is really shit for your metabolism. Bitches these days start trying to diet when they're 12. That's why they're chubs.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro-tip - If you want to lose weight, eat less than you normally do and do more exercise for a sustained period of time.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

And just don't eat for the next 4 days? Fruit sux.
    No. Three days of raw produce, then go back to eating normally. It cleans out the system. My thin, healthy SLI mom did it and lost 5 or 10 pounds (I forget which).

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat rice and peanuts, lift weights and do cardio. And anabolic steroids.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend