Thread: Abnormal Sensitivity to Smells, Sounds etc Si Polr?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Abnormal Sensitivity to Smells, Sounds etc Si Polr?

Last edited by Hays; 07-30-2013 at 04:34 AM.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@aivonua nainini
    Check this out
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayley View Post
    As a young child I was extremely sensitive to smells such as perfumes, certain foods and petrol etc. I realized that others did not share these experiences in the same way though and it was only recently that I in fact found another person who was similar to myself as a child.

Every car trip I would have to ask the driver to stop the car so that I could jump out and vomit due to petrol fumes. The smell of things like tomatoes would also cause me to vomit. Perfumes would make me feel sick and suffer headaches.

My ears were very sensitive to sounds which would hurt them and somewhat make me appear to have super hearing such as picking up every click of the clocks hands and hums from electrical equipment. Therefor I preferred quieter environments.

My eyes were sensitive and needed complete darkness to allow sleep.

My skin and hair hated all sorts of things such as massages, hair ties and hair being touched by others.

These discomforting perceptions from the senses creating such things as nausea to surroundings, I am beginning to suspect may be linked to polr because of the abnormal sensitivities experienced.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this subject.
    I'm thinking most of what you mentioned is probably weak Si, but not all Si POLR. I know a lot of the delta NFs including myself have said in the past they are very sensitive sleepers (in the same way you mentioned). And I personally am VERY picky about smells.

I do, however, LOOOOVE massages, especially deep tissue. I am a total massage addict. Ashton and Confimed (both Si-POLR) have mentioned in a past conversation that they dont like massages, so maybe you are onto something there...
    Last edited by Suz; 05-22-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter (who is either EIE or ESE) is that way too. She can tell the difference between organic and non-organic milk. She's a very light sleeper and refuses to nap during the day ("what a waste of time!") and she doesn't like to be touched that much. I mean, she'll hug me but she doesn't enjoy back rubs the way that my IEI daughter does. She's very confident and self-contained.

I used to be a bit that way too but I've learned to loosen up and now I love massages. I can also tell the difference between organic and non-organic milk but I'm a heavy sleeper and a very non-picky eater.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LIE - Ni
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its possible. My Si is vulnerable and personally:

I am very heavy sleeper.
    Even the slightness noise at office disturbs me.
    Don't like massages, neither enjoy long car trips, when I'm not driving.

I'm not at all picky about foods or smells thought.

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, my mom is hypersensitive to noises and she's base.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think it has to do with cognitive functions at all. I think it's just hypersensitivity.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

End of the road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love sleeping long hours and i like to eat good food and smell nice things, but it's fine if i don't have them- i'd just like to have them on occasions.
    When i'm outside and i feel discomfort, i generally try to ignore it. Maybe when it gets too bad i will do something about it.

And to the OP, gas smells delicious to me but perfumes don't like- maybe hand creams are more to my liking with their lighter smells.

It sounds like it'd be hard for anyone to live with you
    Beta NF - E-(6w5), 9w1, 4w5 sp/sx

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I type my son ILE and he has been very sensitive on a sensory level. I can be that way too, although it manifests somewhat differently in me. I agree it's probably not type-based.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    IEI-Fe e4 458 Sx
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fenryrr View Post
    I dont think it has to do with cognitive functions at all. I think it's just hypersensitivity.
    From a quick glance, I'd agree with this. It could also be some kinda neurological weirdness – hypo- and hypersensitivity is often related to autism and ad(h)d.

I'm 21 and still have many of the symptoms pictured in the opening post. The tomatoes especially. Can't be next to someone slicing tomatoes. Then again, I get extreme pleasure from the smells I like; I spend a lot of time sniffing perfumes, soaps, spices.. And my own skin, that's my favourite. 8)
    @Shayley, did you also have extremely pleasurable sensory experiences as a child? Do either of these still occur at some level as an adult?

But Si-PoLR, really? Doesn't Si-PoLR usually manifest as a lack of interest for small aesthetic details and so on? I don't see the logic here. I could see it'd have something to do with either strong Si (because that's why Si people seek for nice sensations?), or Si as suggestive function because of the inability to produce pleasant sensory experiences within one's body, but I wouldn't know – I only know one ILE and he actually seems pretty immune to most sensory experiences.

But. Oh. Well. Maybe it's really not type related.
    "Use every ounce of potential you have, raise revolution against what people expect of you, and tell the world this is not a rehearsal. This is the real me. And listen up, ‘cause it could be the most honest incarnation yet."

Creepy-pokeball

It usually jus means something is different with one's CNS or other things, such as histamines... or reactions to proteins, etc...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much of my sensitivty to smell has to do with the emotional connection I directly "attach" to a given smell. Example: I recently had to sleep in an almost completely unfurnished room, except one bed. Such room had recently been washed and thus it kept the smell of the substance used to wash it. I didn't like the feeling, I had never slept in an unfurnished room and thus I felt lonely. Now, I find that smell to be distasteful because of such connection to my emotions.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Now, I find that smell to be distasteful because of such connection to my emotions.
    This happens to a lot of people. The other day I decided to change things up a bit and wear some old perfume i stored away and completely forgot it was something I wore during a really awful time in my life. When I smelled it, I felt nauseous and almost wanted to cry hah. I consider myself Si ego and I'm extremely sensitive to just about all senses so I don't see how this has anything to do with Si Polr.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

the smell thing is ntr.

"In addition, only three synapses separate the olfactory nerve from the hippocampus, which is implicated in memory, especially working memory and short-term memory. Olfaction is the sensory modality that is physically closest to the limbic system, of which the hippocampus and amygdala are a part, and which is responsible for emotions and memory. Indeed this may be why odor-evoked memories are unusually emotionally potent (1996)."

http://www.macalester.edu/academics/...ll/memory.html

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no Si polr, but I can get overwhelmed by certain settings. Take a club, put me next to the PA, shoot out fog lights, have everyone in it smoking up a storm, feed me whiskey shots, have a shitty band on stage... watch me crawl to the bathroom and hurl. Then stumble outside and play dead in the parking lot for a few hours.

If anything, I think devalued Si tolerates all that stuff more. If I party with some Se base or LIE.. something like that, they just keep going on.. like they relish in intensity instead of comfort.

No Longer a Tadpole... Flat Footed Frog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    If anything, I think devalued Si tolerates all that stuff more. If I party with some Se base or LIE.. something like that, they just keep going on.. like they relish in intensity instead of comfort.
    I'd agree with this. Si seems to be more about smells,sensations but I think someone with strong Si values it therefore if they're uncomfortable they can make a big to do about it whereas someone with undervalued Si would be less inclined to moan etc as they see other things as of more importance than sensations they are receiving.
    This Frog runs on Sugar!