Thread: Four American Preachers

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Four American Preachers

Socionics (and to a somewhat lesser extent, the Enneagram) still interest me in that I continue to find them valuable in evaluating peoples' strengths, weaknesses, and the potentialities of relationships.

I thought of this forum a few evenings ago when I saw The Inspiration Channel (or Network, idk) on the upper reaches of the cable channel guide. Personally, I think that it's a goldmine for anyone looking into leadership and Socionics, as there are many different quadras represented there -- generally each by preachers whose style reflects his/her sociotype.

The first preacher I saw was * Mike Murdock.* He's the only preacher about whose Sociotype I feel sure of... Murdock, it turns out, is well-known as a religious songwriter and musician. He "teaches" in "wisdom keys," with messages that should appeal to some betas via his questioning and dihcotomic rhetoric, (not to mention his Wagnerian outdo music). Murdock is typical, imo, of an older, successful ENFj.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQoQjl_AGB4

The second preacher I saw was Joyce Meyer. I'm not sure of her type, although I'll admit I felt an affinity for her preaching. She warns against "action based on emotion;" (a lesson that mature alphas and betas will have learned via life experience -- and something which gammas and deltas may understand intuitively). IMO, she speaks about it as though she's detached, or distanced from these emotions, (i.e. "I've seen the consequences, and you'll want to avoid this.") As on the show I saw, in this clip she's very focused on "being prepared" (via faith) for "what life throws at you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K39P...?v=3K39P0evNZg

The third preacher I saw was Joel Osteen. He's probably one of the most famous American preachers (along with the host of the 700 Club, Pat Robertson). He has a very soft, emotional style -- I'd argue that he's emotional in a way that's completely different from Murdock. There's no Sturm und Drang with him; this is more Tim Tebow, "you're gonna catch the game-winning touchdown!" He tries to inject some reality into his sermons, and appears very empathetic, ("I know it's tough.") Speaking of tough, his wife...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os60_oeW7oY

The last show I saw was the 700 Club, with Pat Robertson. Arguably the most influential American preacher since Billy Graham, Pat Robertson has become increasingly opinionated with age (taking surprise stances on issues like marijuana). Here he is taking his most famous stance, (against gays,) and you get to see a little bit of him behind the scenes, which is pretty revealing in a Socionics sense. He comes across -- to me -- as very calculated and political. Nixonesque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9DH-o_kP-Q

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt!! Falwell was a larger than life presence here (in more ways than one).

I think he's dead now -- and honestly, I wonder -- if there's a God as Falwell preached -- how God dealt with him.

Do you have any thoughts on the sociotypes of any of these preachers??

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it really weird whenever these televangelists or motivational speakers talk about "Fear" as if it's the same for everybody. It just seems like meaningless umbrella terminology that has no relevance until you go down to the individual level.

Murdock: I don't know much at all about him, but I wonder ENFj. The nature of his impassionment seems very F-ego, and his speech is very calculated and flowing like I'd expect from an EJ. Ni-valuing is just a conjecture.

Joyce Meyer: I get Fe-ESFj, but I can't really pin down what about her does it for me. I guess she has that element when she speaks that makes her sound like she's blaming her audience for things they may not have even done, primarily in her tone of voice and the way she. neatly. emphasizes. every. word. when. she. wants. to. say. something. important. Suze Orman does the same thing, and to me it's weirdly intimidating but at the same time confusing as all hell.

Joel Osteen: So-first 9w1? Not sure on his sociotype. Some F-ego extrovert makes sense.

Pat Robertson: Delta ST comes to mind, perhaps ISTp. He seems super laid-back and not emotionally reactive towards the things he's confronted with.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool