Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Enneagram, what's your take on it?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Enneagram, what's your take on it?

I find it almost impossible for one to be an English speaking American citizen to come accross Socionics and NOT come across the Enneagram at least once, if not several times, thus I feel as though my assumption that you will have at least an understanding of the primary aspectcs of the Enneagram is correct, justifying this topic.

Now, as for the Enneagram, I find it interseting how it functions so much on the pathology one's behaviour, and even more intersting to myself, is the method which one should use to "liberate" ones' self from the psyche, or as Guardjijeff(SP) or Ichazo(can't remember whom) so aptly stated, to free one's self from their "ego-fixations", and the method that one would use is to become more "present" in your daily lives, which, honestly, I think is the most sensible thing I've ever heard from a quasi-self-help system.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've heard of the Enneagram, but I've always dismissed it. I haven't really looked too far into it, because it seemed to describe personality by traits instead of internal structure. Although I haven't heard of this 'ego-fixation' release stuff, seems interesting, I'll read up on it one night... sounds like the point of it is kinda to 'wake up' and live, as I guess all of us don't always do. Never making big plans, just kinda taking day by day the life that 'they' told you you should have. Get a job. Get a career. Work harder and harder until you die, etc. Have fun, do what you wanna do because you're only gonna live once. Although I'm not sure how far they want to go to 'fix' the person you are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default That weird system...

The Enneagram seemt a bit weird. I could not identify my own type in the Enneagram, as several types seemt to descripe some aspects of myself, but none seemt to really fit me. Also the lack of theoretical structure seems to make it very difficult to properly verify the results, nor does the Enneagram say much about interaction of the types, so I lost interest in it perhaps rather too quickly.

The Enneagram seems to be quite a popular though, there was even one book about it in Finnish in my local library, but nothing on MBTI or socionics. Do you think the Enneagram can really offer practical benefits?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's in fact what they claim is unique about the Enneagram, although the entire structure 'resembles vauge new-agieness of some other psuedo-psychological theories.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enneagram is a system of New Age beliefs mixed up with some knowledge of psychology.
    As far as I know, Socionics personality theory doesn't conflict with Christian anthropology, while Vatican officially interdicted the practice of Enneagram.
    As for the relationship between Enneagram and Jungian personality types, it is hard to find some correlations. I had read at least 5 articles about correlations among Enneagram and MBTI, but any author had not convinced me that Enneagramian personality models are linked with Jung or traditional psychological theories, and thus may derive explanation out of Suffism.
    ENTJ's mind & ISFJ's soul - that's the best combination ))

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the enneagram

Ive read several books on the enneagram, most printed right here in good ol Berkeley California, known in the 60s for the hippie movement. Its an interesting take on personality but ultimately very esoteric. I could not take it too seriously but did find it interesting when they compaired it with MBTI types. It really helped me not to pigeon hole peoples behavior based on type (MBTI type that is) One of the publications I found most helpful and amuzing (this is a little embarassing to admit ) was one that featured cartoons. It was entitled "Are You My Type, Am I Yours?" the enneagram made simple. In the back of the book they compaired the types with MBTI types and it made some sense. I used their test on some colleagues ( all istjs ) to see what the results would be. It was amazing actually. One istj identified with 1s, two identified with 5s and the other with 6s. As they read the qualities of these types they all laughed and said "Oh thats me alright" I had to agree, it did describe their behavior and the seeming descepancies between them.
    Dont get me wrong. There is no test out there that can fully describe human nature. And I know T types esp. want to quailify, and quantify everything on the planet. If you go looking to the enneagram for some hard evidence or even something concise you will be disappointed. There is a certain amount of ambiguity to phychology that is almost impossible to get around, not to mention when mixed with the metaphysical.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here in Estonia , almost nobody knows the Enneagram. To make a typology you must separate people into types. There is two ways: if you calculate the types or you watch them and then make descriptions.

The first way means that by knowing how innerprosecces of your mind makes you behave like you behave, makes you somehow similar with other and not so similar with the rest and that is clinical method. The four temperaments of Hippocrates is an example of that. Because we use deduction, it is scientithic method.

The second way is that by looking different people we can generalize them and make a typology. That is called induction. A way how facts can be generalized into overall meaning. Beacause we can't use all the facts we have to make choise according to our life experience by using the intuition, it is a way how wisdom is born.

So i think that the Enneagram is just a wisdom of different people. Man has always known that people are different and has dried to explain it and tieng ones notes with overall knowings made Enneagram happened: nine is in numerology an important number, like all the other 9 numbers and in the Enneagram the 9 types are related by the power of the nuber according to Pythagorases theory with notes of mankind.
    Semiotical process

Creepy-estonienne

Default ha!

Quote Originally Posted by male21
    Here in Estonia , almost nobody knows the Enneagram.
    Ya right, nobody knows it. The way I been spreading it, it's gonna take over soon :twisted:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ha!

Quote Originally Posted by estonienne
    Quote Originally Posted by male21
    Here in Estonia , almost nobody knows the Enneagram.
    Ya right, nobody knows it. The way I been spreading it, it's gonna take over soon :twisted:
    Alico, is this you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest is me, by the way.
    If a shoe don't fit, it ain't your shoe!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it you're IceQueen from the EI board?

And, yeah, Alico, is that you?

-Edit Never mind, that's a stupid question. You have the same sig....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup , and who are you?
    If a shoe don't fit, it ain't your shoe!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just curious, does anyone know their Enneagram classification? I don't exactly agree with the methodology behind the Enneagram (it's a bit too flightey, even for an IEI!), but I find it interesting all the same. I'm not saying that there is any correlation between Socionics and the Enneagram (there isn't <- though some types may be more likely one classifcation than others, they describe completely different aspects of personality).

There is a test at the following site, for those of you who are curious (take one of the four listed under "Enneagram Tests"):
    http://similarminds.com/personality_tests.html

And here is a website that links MBTI results with Enneagram:
    http://www.geocities.com/lifexplore/typecorr.htm

I'm a type 9, BTW and type 3 second.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I was a 5w6.
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Enneagram test, another result. Last time I was 2. This time I'm 5w4 sp/so/sx, with 2 lagging about 2% behind.
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always came out as a 5w6 SO/SP, not exactly sure how accurate it is though.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enneagram schmenneagram
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    enneagram schmenneagram
    yearh . . . what she said.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took it and came out 5w3 or 5w4. I'd rather be 5w3 though. And I don't know what "sp/sx" or whatever is.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Took it and came out 5w3 or 5w4. I'd rather be 5w3 though. And I don't know what "sp/sx" or whatever is.
    Those are instictual variants(subtypes). SP - self-preservative, SX- sexual, SO - social. http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp#instincts
    I believe I am a 4w5 sp/sx.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was me ^

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to have none of the instincts?
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess not. Not theoretically .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, and you can't be a 5w3 either, you can only be a 5w4 or 5w6.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that case, screw this test.

Creepy-

fdsagfdjfs

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It said I'm a 2 sx/so/sp

*shrug*
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    I like the enneagram, it's kind of nice in a way I think it describes a different aspect, perhaps pre-occupations as opposed to functions.
    That's what I was thinking. The Enneagram is a more conceptual system than Socionics, which (for being theoretical as it is) is actually more empirical <- more abstract and, as a result, I find it less useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enneagram is for NFs! The main problem is that there are so much correlations among the 9 types. But if you study them well enough, after you determined a person's type, you will know about him/her almost everything! It can be very useful mostly with MBTI or Socion. Here are the fine distinctions, have a nice time!

http://www.thechangeworks.com/ennpri...nn9styls1.html
    [/code]
    Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. (Napoleon Bonaparte)

ENTJ (slightly E, moderate N,T,J), 8w9 (light wing) sp/sx

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm a 5w6. I find the enneagram a useful tool in working through my "issues" and underlying motivations.

Laura
    INTj

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7w6 sexual variant.

jesus these tests.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4w5 apparently. This test seems slightly bogus, but not entirely farfetched. The thing which strikes me as suspect is the logic in the order of the types, and their supposed correlations with one another.

Creepy-

fgjasfdas

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-3-4 are all in the heart triad.

5-6-7 are all in the mental triad.

8-9-1 are all in the instinctual triad.

The rest is based on numerology.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9w3/8?

sx/sp/so
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can only have a wing that's next to your number.

Example: 9w8 or 9w1

Or: 5w4, 5w6.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic

I meant I took the test and the 8 and 3 came out tied as the second strongest... but I don't know much or care about ennegram, anway.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic

I took the eneagram some time ago. Actually I took it several times but I always come out 9 or 7. Both hold true for me at some point.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the test again and it gave me 1w9.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an interesting website that has short mini video clips of people of each enneagram type. http://www.authenticenneagram.com/enneagram_tour/5.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast