Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: take a pill, fall in love

  1. #1
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,606
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default take a pill, fall in love

    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1466943.html


    Real-Life ‘Love Pills' That Save Marriages 'Could Soon Be A Reality'
    The Huffington Post UK | By Kyrsty Hazell
    Posted: 01/05/2012 15:04 Updated: 01/05/2012 15:04


    Oxford University researchers believe real-life 'love pills' - that solve common marital woes and keep the passion alive - could soon be making their way into a marriage counselling session near you.

    Despite the fact that marriage is having a comeback after 40 years of decline – we’re still 200 more likely to file for divorce than a century ago.

    According to recent figures from the Office of National Statistics (ONS), recession-hit couples do try and stick together, but marital disharmony (caused by the pressures of job losses, uncertainty about the future and rising debt) often gets the better of them, causing divorce numbers to soar.

    And with weekly reminders about high-profile unions, such as loved-up (and extremely wealthy) Heidi Klum and Seal hitting the rocks, combined with the worrying fact that one in three men don't marry for love - is it any wonder we struggle to keep the love alive?

    But before you give up on love altogether, consider this – could the solution lie in a simple pill?

    Not that pill (the contraceptive type that apparently alters a woman’s love for her partner) but a drug that is a potent concoction of essential neurohormones that make us fall – and stay – giddy in love.

    According to a team of neuroethnicists, who have written an in-depth paper about the possibilities of a psychopharmaceutical ‘love drug’ - this could well be the future of marriage counselling.

    Yes, soon you’ll be able to cut out the middle-man (the Relate counsellor) and get a prescription for love. Perhaps.

    In Neuroenhancement of Love and Marriage: The Chemicals Between Us, Oxford University researchers Julian Savulescu and Anders Sandberg claim that scientists may soon be able to interfere with the biology of human attraction with the help of chemical blockers and enhancers.

    To do this, they would have to create a pill that contains the “modulators of love”, which could potentially help us stay together longer, increase attractiveness and decrease infidelity.

    The essential ‘ingredients’ of the pill are:

    Pheromones

    These are odourless chemicals that trigger emotion responses, mainly sexual and attractiveness, between the opposite sex. If this was popped into a pill, it could potentially help people maintain the attraction they first felt for their partner.

    Oxytocin and Vasopressin

    Also known as the ‘bonding chemicals’, oxytocin and vasaopressin are hormones released in the body that promote physical bonding. The brain releases a high amount of these hormones during the early, romantic stages of a relationship. If these hormones were present in a pill, they could strengthen the sense of togetherness and bonds between couples.

    Testosterone

    High levels of testosterone increase the amount of sexual desire between the opposite sex. A testosterone-induced pill could aid flagging libidos.

    CRH

    Although this hormone (corticotropin-releasing hormone) can sometimes cause depression and anxiety, it also creates the fear of separation, which can help deepen the bond between two people.

    Entactogens

    This drug (found in MDMA pills like ecstasy) creates the feeling of openness and the desire for emotional closeness, claims the paper. This could increase the connection and sociability between people if it was present in a pill.

    Would you give it a go?

  2. #2
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,329
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh my god! I had horrible images passing through my mind as I read this.
    Images of gay people being pressured to use this as a way of "curing" them.
    Images of abused spouses being pressured to take this...or secretely given it as a way of "encouraging" them to "work things out" with their abusive partners.
    Images of "friends" or roomies who want 'more', slipping it into drinks or food.
    Images of people having adverse reactions in which they become possessive, controlling, and violent in order to "keep" the one that they "love".

    I wish we would stop fucking around with this kind of stuff. (even though I know it can really help some people.)
    Actually, I have more of a problem with the ethics of using/pushing wonder pills and genetic modifications.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  3. #3
    Killer of DJA's Fun fen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Posts
    1,148
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is horrible.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.


  4. #4
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,606
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    it would definitely be abused, lol.

  5. #5
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    You know people would kill to use this, can't wait to dose someone's coffee..

  6. #6
    Killer of DJA's Fun fen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Posts
    1,148
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    You know people would kill to make this, can't way to dose someone's coffee..
    Doesn't mean they would fall in love with the person administering it though. Hm...
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.


  7. #7
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fenryrr View Post
    Doesn't mean they would fall in love with the person administering it though. Hm...
    This has never stopped anyone before.

  8. #8
    Decadent Charlatan Aquagraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Continental Vinnland
    TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Posts
    3,967
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It or something similar will appear sooner or later, and it will pose challenges, problems, solutions and controversy. Such is the nature of technology.

    I also want to mention that I like MDMA.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wonder what the price is going to be, hope not too high so that Fi polrs won't go bankrupt or Fe creatives for that matter.

  10. #10
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wouldn't this work as an anti-depressant? I'm interested. Now I just need a mock husband.

  11. #11
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Why would it make you want to love one specific person? Maybe everybody would just love everybody?

  12. #12
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,724
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is wrong. Fake love?

    The problem is that married people forget their vows once the initial romance wears off, and apparently that giddy feeling was all they wanted out of the relationship.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  13. #13
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Why would it make you want to love one specific person? Maybe everybody would just love everybody?
    Maybe it would contribute to more people having affairs...

  14. #14
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    I wonder what happens if you give it to your pets.

  15. #15
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    This is wrong. Fake love?

    The problem is that married people forget their vows once the initial romance wears off, and apparently that giddy feeling was all they wanted out of the relationship.
    What if marriage became a non-legal entity?

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bionicgerbil View Post
    I wonder what happens if you give it to your pets.
    I sure hope you don't own a pet snake.

  17. #17
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't like the thought of giving something like this to an animal. They have no preparation or warning or means to deal since they don't understand what's happened. It could do damage.

  18. #18
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,724
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadae View Post
    What if marriage became a non-legal entity?
    I don't think I would mind.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  19. #19
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Finally, consensual date rape! awwwwwwwwww riiiiiiiiiiiite
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  20. #20
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd try it like five or six times. Sounds like fun.


    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Oh my god! I had horrible images passing through my mind as I read this.
    Images of gay people being pressured to use this as a way of "curing" them.
    Images of abused spouses being pressured to take this...or secretely given it as a way of "encouraging" them to "work things out" with their abusive partners.
    Images of "friends" or roomies who want 'more', slipping it into drinks or food.
    Images of people having adverse reactions in which they become possessive, controlling, and violent in order to "keep" the one that they "love".

    I wish we would stop fucking around with this kind of stuff. (even though I know it can really help some people.)
    Actually, I have more of a problem with the ethics of using/pushing wonder pills and genetic modifications.
    That is scary but I don't think it would work that way. Maybe it would but I would think a gay man would just be randomly in love with another gay man, he still probably wouldn't be attracted to women.
    Easy Day

  21. #21
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,329
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    That is scary but I don't think it would work that way. Maybe it would but I would think a gay man would just be randomly in love with another gay man, he still probably wouldn't be attracted to women.
    I imagine it as given in an enclosed environment where a gay person was placed alone with a member of the opposite sex. Or multiple members of opposite sex. Or being forced to watch porn involving the opposite sex. Etc. They're talking about messing with pheremone responses, bonding chemicals, testosterone, etc. i don't think it would "cure" gayness...but I can easily imagine anti-gay people thinking it could. Especially if you "catch them when they are young" and don't have many experiences to draw from. The brain being more malleable.

    But what it would do to those kids...omg, that's just too much fucked-upness to contemplate.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  22. #22
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I imagine it as given in an enclosed environment where a gay person was placed alone with a member of the opposite sex. Or multiple members of opposite sex. Or being forced to watch porn involving the opposite sex. Etc. They're talking about messing with pheremone responses, bonding chemicals, testosterone, etc. i don't think it would "cure" gayness...but I can easily imagine anti-gay people thinking it could. Especially if you "catch them when they are young" and don't have many experiences to draw from. The brain being more malleable.

    But what it would do to those kids...omg, that's just too much fucked-upness to contemplate.
    Hopefully it's prescription only.
    Easy Day

  23. #23
    Chronic Procrasturbator Nomenclature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    TIM
    ESFp 3w4 SX/SO??
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hah, nice to know I wasn't the only one who thought of slipping it in someone's coffee.

    http://oxytocinaccelerator.com/
    ^ makes me think of that.

    I have a friend who uses it to help ease her Asperger Syndrome. Not only does it work for her, but apparently other people noticed something was up when she suddenly stopped for a day-- like it affected her body language, pheromones, or something along those lines.

    I don't dare screw with my oxytocin though.
    Okay, I'm lying, I'd experiment with it. I'd probably avoid prolonged contact with certain people though.
    Genghis Khunt, drippin' like twater.
    tumblr (nsfw)

  24. #24
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    double post, my bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  25. #25
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think it's as dangerous as it sounds. Most of these chemicals can be found in some takeable form or another already, and it's pretty obvious that they won't force a condition of "love", which requires way more complex conditioned and conscious responses than taking a pill could give you. It just facilitates it with a lot of cognitive input... I mean, think about how well those pheromone wipes you find in nightclub bathrooms work. Or working out (testosterone). Or having an orgasm (oxytocin). Replicating those feelings could help create an environment where you can fall in love more easily, but MAKE you fall in love? Doubt it.

    It actually reminds me a lot of the advice that my first year psych lecturer gave to us - if you want a second date with someone, make sure your first date is spent doing something adrenaline-inducing. They'll confuse the panicky feeling with the giddy rush of love
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  26. #26
    Decadent Charlatan Aquagraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Continental Vinnland
    TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Posts
    3,967
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    It actually reminds me a lot of the advice that my first year psych lecturer gave to us - if you want a second date with someone, make sure your first date is spent doing something adrenaline-inducing. They'll confuse the panicky feeling with the giddy rush of love
    I have heard of this before.
    I don't know whether going out drinking works in a similar fashion.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That can perhaps reverse the numbing effect SSRI have on love felling,great. Outside that, bwaaaaaa..
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

    -- Maurice Chapelain

  28. #28
    Creepy-male

    Default

    They should make a movie about someone who wakes up one day and doesn't take the pill after having made a decision early in life to take the pill to make things better.

  29. #29
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    I have heard of this before.
    I don't know whether going out drinking works in a similar fashion.
    I think it gets them undressed faster... but there's the chance they'll associate nausea/hangover headache with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  30. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It would become the next Viagra, and exploited for much the same purpose: marathon orgies and quickies. It will not make people fall in love with any ONE person: any person thus encountered while under the pill's influence would become an object of attraction.

    Basically it makes you more liberal, more altruistic, and bi.

    Though what it really sounds like is a party drug.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What if it happen to be the next big things, like LSD was, or extasy more recently ? New drug arrival, when cultural condition is favorable, and/or when it promise to fill a hole in current trend, can lead to the birth of big things, like LSD have done with hippie/new age culture, or MDMA with the worldly diffusion of techno culture/music.

    The moral background of this stuff is really shitty, but what is the impact of moral in these days. And sometime, the question can even be what is moral behind the excitation of the new.
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

    -- Maurice Chapelain

  32. #32
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    I forsee hairy women.

    Also, can it make one love themself more? I supposed that is why opposing immunities influence pheromones, unless, of course, youre southern style and cousin lovin =D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •