Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comedians

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Comedians

http://socionics.ws/wiki/index.php?title=User:Jwc3

To be added soon: Christoper Titus, Ron White, Brian Regan, Joe Rogan.

To be added later: International Comedians, Religious/PC Comedians, Upstarts

Requests? Mostly I'm making this so it's easy for me to find the links to the sets I really like, so if you want me to add a set and comedian so it's easy for you to find too then by all means, feel free to say so. Also criticism is welcomed.

Specifically thoughts on Jerry Seinfeld would be nice.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

joe rogan SLE

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

This thread really makes me eager to take those stand-up classes at ComedyWorks.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    joe rogan SLE
    You think? I'm sorta on the fence between SLE and LSI for Rogan, I sort of view him as the mirror to Dave Attell and I can't decide what Attell is so it trips me up a bit.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    This thread really makes me eager to take those stand-up classes at ComedyWorks.
    DO IT! What are you waiting for?! Stand-up is the awesome! Get on my comedians list!

I just graduated and at the end of the summer once I'm done saving I'm moving and i don't know where but my priorities are going to go something like this. 1.) Place to stay 2.) Job 3.) Stand-up Classes 4.) Open Mics
    Easy Day

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    You think? I'm sorta on the fence between SLE and LSI for Rogan, I sort of view him as the mirror to Dave Attell and I can't decide what Attell is so it trips me up a bit.
    He's definitely not LSI from what I've heard of him, that's for sure. I'd say either SLE or ILE for Joe Rogan.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

DO IT! What are you waiting for?! Stand-up is the awesome! Get on my comedians list!

I just graduated and at the end of the summer once I'm done saving I'm moving and i don't know where but my priorities are going to go something like this. 1.) Place to stay 2.) Job 3.) Stand-up Classes 4.) Open Mics
    I've read most of Judy Carter's Comedy Bible, and I've been toying with the idea on/off for a number of years now. Now that I've been considering broadcasting school, I feel like some stand-up classes might benefit me in more ways than just my own gratification, but also as trimming on a resume.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read most of Judy Carter's Comedy Bible, and I've been toying with the idea on/off for a number of years now. Now that I've been considering broadcasting school, I feel like some stand-up classes might benefit me in more ways than just my own gratification, but also as trimming on a resume.
    Resume? Are you kidding me? Broadcasting and stand-up? You're going to make a perfect radio host lol People won't even need to look at the resume they'll just go "Oh, broadcasting degree and stand-up experience? Can you start exactly three minutes and twelve seconds from now?"

EDIT: Hell you're setting yourself up to really be able to host anything lol not just radio, that's just what I thought of first.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Yeah, I am hoping to get into radio. I'm a little apprehensive because I'm afraid it's a dying industry, and has been on the downward spiral for a number of years now. But I believe it still has its market, and it won't actually be going anywhere for a while. Much like how being an airline captain does not have as nearly the amount of prestige it used to, and has been relegated (especially since 9/11) to being just another sector of highly specialized labor. I figure if nothing else, voiceover work is a stable niche that has applications beyond the airwaves.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I am hoping to get into radio. I'm a little apprehensive because I'm afraid it's a dying industry, and has been on the downward spiral for a number of years now. But I believe it still has its market, and it won't actually be going anywhere for a while. Much like how being an airline captain does not have as nearly the amount of prestige it used to, and has been relegated (especially since 9/11) to being just another sector of highly specialized labor. I figure if nothing else, voiceover work is a stable niche that has applications beyond the airwaves.
    Well it is sorta not as prestigious as it used to be but I think XM radio and other satellite radio stations still have hosts on some channels. Plus people like truck drivers love them some radio and I think since radio stations are funded by advertising it's sorta less relevant how many people are listening so long as advertisers are still buying air time.
    Easy Day

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you heard of podcasts
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aziz Ansari!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Aziz Ansari!
    Added Aziz. I was watching his special "Dangerously Delicious" on comedy central over and over again and having the biggest problem typing him. But I think that was because I had Swardson wrong so my confidence on Swardson is now a 'C' instead of a 'A-' and he's IEI instead of ILE/SLE lol. I think both of them are probably at least close to their actual type, I'm fairly comfortable saying that Aziz is your dual though
    Last edited by JWC3; 05-21-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Easy Day

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't very many comedians Ti/Fe valuers?

I have noticed a trend with me being a specific interest in Fi PoLR comedians. My typings might not be accurate but I think some of them are:
    Doug Stanhope (XLE)
    Bill Hicks (ILE)
    C.K. Louis (XLE)
    Also possibly George Carlin but I have my doubts about him. He might IEE too.

I'd be also interested to see what XEI comedians are there?
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC in OP link
    Notes: A confidence rating of 'F' means I'm pretty sure I failed to type this person correctly.
    This being the first thing you mention and it being even mentioned is a good sign. I don't trust resolute people and your self-doubt about your typing has ironically confirmed my view on the trustworthiness of your typings. Real refreshing.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

oh yeah bill Hicks alpha nt for sure, ile is good

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aziz Ansari - EIE
    Louis CK - SLE
    Joe Rogan - SLE

Interested in hearing about Mitch Hedberg
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

somebody do margaret cho!

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    somebody do margaret cho!
    Alpha SF?

Few favorites of mine:
    Dylan Moran: Ni-ILI
    George Carlin: Se-LSI
    Maria Bamford: SEI, although now that it's suggested I'm not entirely opposed to ESE
    Ron White: 7w8 ESE so last
    Bill Engvall: 7w6 Ne-ILE
    John Mulaney: Ti-ILE
    Donald Glover: Se-SEE > Ne-IEE

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Aren't very many comedians Ti/Fe valuers?

I have noticed a trend with me being a specific interest in Fi PoLR comedians. My typings might not be accurate but I think some of them are:
    Doug Stanhope (XLE)
    Bill Hicks (ILE)
    C.K. Louis (XLE)
    Also possibly George Carlin but I have my doubts about him. He might IEE too.

Well I think there might be a slight bias, but to some extent I think personal preference plays a bit of a role. For example a Ti/Fe valuer would probably be more likely to pay attention to and know about Ti/Fe valuing comedians. Beyond that I think that there might be a bias toward strong Fe types, but not necessarily Fe valuing types. For example it's pretty commonly accepted that Seinfeld is IEE and he was well... He would have been very successful if the success of his TV show didn't cut his stand-up career short lol. In any case there is certainly an aspect of performance in most comedians that involves exaggerating emotional expression but I think it's worthwhile to look past that if possible. Not always though, Jim Gaffigan is fairly deadpan in his delivery and there are always one liner comedians, I've yet to add many of those to my list though.

As for XEI comedians, I'm fairly confident about Mike Birbiglia as SEI. I think XEI makes a lot of sense for Mitch Hedberg. Swardson confuses me a lot but might be IEI. It's really difficult to type certain comedians because sometimes it's really obvious that their jokes are really removed from who they are as a person and are very constructed (still funny) but not personal so that makes it hard. Plus the performance aspect can get in the way at times. Like with Lewis Black, on the surface his performance could very easily be something an EIE would do on the other he could be an LIE who exaggerates his critical nature and emotional expression for the sake of the performance.

Some comedians are easier to type than others I guess is what I'm trying to say lol.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Alpha SF?

Few favorites of mine:
    Dylan Moran: Ni-ILI
    George Carlin: Se-LSI
    Maria Bamford: SEI, although now that it's suggested I'm not entirely opposed to ESE
    Ron White: 7w8 ESE so last
    Bill Engvall: 7w6 Ne-ILE
    John Mulaney: Ti-ILE
    Donald Glover: Se-SEE > Ne-IEE
    Yeah for some reason I tend to err toward extroverted types in general but with Bamford too, but SEI is as good a typing as any I think. These typings are not at all set in stone and maybe in the future I'll find that some or most of them are actually the introverted mirror of what I thought they were. Mostly the list was something I just wanted to get down and will be focusing on accuracy over time as I accumulate more information on them.

I'll be adding comedians as I watch their specials, I'll keep your suggestions in mind but since I'm constructing the list and it reflects back on me I want to watch some of their stuff again before I add it to the list. I appreciate the suggestions though, specifically Ron White and Bill Engvall they will be added soon so thanks for the insight.

Also as a general apology to everyone, I'm fairly young so the comedians I'm most familiar with are also fairly young, I promise I'll make an effort to add older comedians who aren't so active anymore soon. Sorry again.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite comedian is Eddie Izzard. What's his type?

I'll laugh if he's my (apparent) conflictor.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    imo
    mitch hedberg si-isfp
    demitri martin si-isfp
    bret mckenzie si-isfp
    fluffy fe-isfp

from the top of my head.

my opinion on some of the ppl already mentioned itt:
    louis ck ne-entp
    dane cook fi-enfp
    joe rogan se-estp
    bill hicks ti-entp
    jerry seinfeld fi-enfp
    lewis black ?-esfj
    jim gaffagan ne-entp

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    demitri martin si-isfp
    Demitri Martin as Fe-ego? Could you possibly explain your reasoning or is this an intuition thing?
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post

I'll try but he's one of those comics whose performance aspect really complicates things. Let me find a few videos.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post

I'm going to very hesitantly type him as IEE. I think there are some apparent Fi-values but god is he hard to type. I think Ne leading makes some sense as he seems very open to a myriad of strange possibilities and often relates them in a way that seems like he's personifying them. I'm going to need a lot more time to have any confidence but I think he's probably IEE and if that's the case I think I probably have Seinfeld wrong lol

EDIT: The good news is that he has a load of full sets on youtube, so when I have 5 or 6 hours to watch them all I should be able to get a solid idea instead of the rough one I have now.

DOUBLE EDIT: I think beta themes are almost not there, so I don't think you have to worry about him being EIE. He's funny but he's also very very safe in his humor. As opposed to someone like Denis Leary who almost uses his emotions as a polarizing force, he sort of has such exaggerated expression he almost dares you not to laugh with him.
    Last edited by JWC3; 05-23-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Above, and too many 'N's in Denis.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, Jim Gaffigan is totes Ne-ENTp. Same with Zach Galifianakis.

Eddie Izzard's style strikes me as very stream of consciousness and flowing, in the same way as Dylan Moran. Both of them are capable of somehow bleeding one topic into the other, where they'll be talking about beans one minute and eventually move onto dinosaurs; you can still follow what they're saying, but you have no idea how they got there. I haven't seen any other comedians have this sort of style, and I would think it's indicative of dynamic, or even Ni-ego.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, Jim Gaffigan is totes Ne-ENTp. Same with Zach Galifianakis.

Eddie Izzard's style strikes me as very stream of consciousness and flowing, in the same way as Dylan Moran. Both of them are capable of somehow bleeding one topic into the other, where they'll be talking about beans one minute and eventually move onto dinosaurs; you can still follow what they're saying, but you have no idea how they got there. I haven't seen any other comedians have this sort of style, and I would think it's indicative of dynamic, or even Ni-ego.
    Well my main sort of disparagement with that is that Ni ego brings Ti-values along with it, which sort of makes the structure of how the material flows more obvious I think. I like Ne ego, because it sort of disregards the need for structure entirely and to some extent can't really operate in that way at all. There are no segues, there's no real way to tell where one thought ends and another begins, to me it seems like his sort of mental landscape is completely devoid of any sort of categorical label that could be ascribed to it.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Ti-values or Strong but un-valued Ti
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my main sort of disparagement with that is that Ni ego brings Ti-values along with it, which sort of makes the structure of how the material flows more obvious I think. I like Ne ego, because it sort of disregards the need for structure entirely and to some extent can't really operate in that way at all. There are no segues, there's no real way to tell where one thought ends and another begins, to me it seems like his sort of mental landscape is completely devoid of any sort of categorical label that could be ascribed to it.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Ti-values or Strong but un-valued Ti
    What I find in Ne egos, or at least Ne subtypes, is that when they do have topic changes, they are very pivotal and sudden, almost coming out of nowhere. I see very Ne people almost interrupting their own trains of thought even as they're thinking, in the same way as Se egos except slightly more endearing to me. I estimate this would be a function of static object perception, as discrete chunks of stuff disparate from each other.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I find in Ne egos, or at least Ne subtypes, is that when they do have topic changes, they are very pivotal and sudden, almost coming out of nowhere. I see very Ne people almost interrupting their own trains of thought even as they're thinking, in the same way as Se egos except slightly more endearing to me.
    Well I find that sort of random topic change is more of an Alpha Ne thing, since Alpha Ne comes with Ti. I think Aziz Ansari in dangerously delicious is a good example of this, his set is very segmented to a degree both in that you can tell where one joke starts and another begins as well as him having it actually segmented in that he has the "This is the take pictures of me portion, this is the jokes section, this is the Randy section, this is the closer section" and what have you, it's both easy to tell when he changes topics and easy to tell how he's trying to segment what the audience is exposed to which sort of seems a bit like Fe values, but it is less natural than I would think an Fe ego would go about it.

In my experience a certain level of flow is more present in IEE than EII. I find EIIs to be a bit more direct and purpose driven than I would guess is present in Izzard, but I do know a few IEEs who are good at doing things like freestyle rapping and just sort of letting the flow of their thoughts come out.

Out of curiosity which Ni-ego would you type Izzard as?
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I find that sort of random topic change is more of an Alpha Ne thing, since Alpha Ne comes with Ti. I think Aziz Ansari in dangerously delicious is a good example of this, his set is very segmented to a degree both in that you can tell where one joke starts and another begins as well as him having it actually segmented in that he has the "This is the take pictures of me portion, this is the jokes section, this is the Randy section, this is the closer section" and what have you, it's both easy to tell when he changes topics and easy to tell how he's trying to segment what the audience is exposed to which sort of seems a bit like Fe values, but it is less natural than I would think an Fe ego would go about it.
    I haven't seen his set, but that sounds about right for Pe people.

In my experience a certain level of flow is more present in IEE than EII. I find EIIs to be a bit more direct and purpose driven than I would guess is present in Izzard, but I do know a few IEEs who are good at doing things like freestyle rapping and just sort of letting the flow of their thoughts come out.
    I had an Ne-IEE friend in high school who would interrupt himself all the time, it was super annoying haha. It's much more prevalent in Pe subtypes than Ji.

Out of curiosity which Ni-ego would you type Izzard as?
    Beta NF probably. I see him as too conscious of how he presents himself affectationally for Te ego.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Eddie Izzard is blatant Ni/Se ethical extrotim, EIE-Fe fits

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen his set, but that sounds about right for Pe people.

I had an Ne-IEE friend in high school who would interrupt himself all the time, it was super annoying haha. It's much more prevalent in Pe subtypes than Ji.

Beta NF probably. I see him as too conscious of how he presents himself affectationally for Te ego.
    I respect your opinion so I'll add beta nf to his alternate typing.
    Easy Day

Creepy-pokeball

Kathy Griffin ENTp 2w3 lol

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post

There's a ton more here.
    Some of those typings on that list are crazy to me.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    That's nice. Do I know you?
    Do you need to?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Yeah Eddie Izzard is blatant Ni/Se ethical extrotim, EIE-Fe fits
    hah.. I might have to kick myself out of Delta. He's funny as hell..

I'd probably graduate college if my professors were like him.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Some of those typings on that list are crazy to me.
    Theres a reason for that

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Theres a reason for that
    Do you currently ascribe to a more classical socionics understanding or a more socionix understanding? Don't get me wrong, I'm not mocking either one, both are valid in their own way, I just forget where you stand.
    Easy Day

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast