Thread: h p lovecraft

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default h. p. lovecraft

I've been on a lovecraft kick lately and just wondering what others think of his type.

as per stereotype he'd fit the profile of a 5, and i've seen 6 suggested for him elsewhere but i am certain that he was a 9. the idea of truth being incomprehensibly terrifying, and forces larger than life -- larger than our window of perception could ever fully capture -- flooding our consciousness to insanity. These to me are distinctly 9 themes of living in a world ultimately too big, too high, too complex, to ever have complete (if any) control over.

theres a similar undertone to murakami's novels as well who i think is also a 9, as are his protagonists usually.

a little less certain i am of his sociotype. currently i suspect intj but i could see him as any of the four inxx types.

links are a pain to fetch on my phone so you can just google his name for images.

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

inxj? i havent read anything of his.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read parts of multiple biographies of him, and I think he's a 4w5 or 5w4 Ni-IEI.

He's described as being dreamy and reclusive, and living by ideas he has in his head. He had many intellectual interests, and was very romantic about them (i.e. even as a young child he wanted his mother to decorate his room to resemble the Arabian nights, but he upheld the decorations to a high internal standard of what the Arabian Nights would "feel like") but he's also described as lacking the willpower to carry through with many of the interests that he had. He derived his inner code from ideas he had received from his reading, and in fact wanted to "live like a gentlemen" throughout his days even though he had little money and generally little interest in productivity. Even though he was recognized by some peers as being very talented, he refused their efforts to help him out financially by giving him more mundane (but stable!) editorial jobs because such jobs bored him and he couldn't do them. He also didn't publish widely, and not in the places that would pay him well. His wife is described as being more forceful and social.

TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

He VIs like Ti-INTj. It was long time ago that I've read his stories, but from memory, yeah, there wasn't anything there that could be remotely called Fi there, so he's likely in Ti-quadra.

He evaluates others according to their mental abilities rather than personal qualities:
    - It is an unfortunate fact that the bulk of humanity is too limited in its mental vision ...
    - Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal ...
    - but of this I must say little, since detailed speech would but confirm those cruel slanders upon my intellect which I sometimes overhear from the whispers of the stealthy attendants around me
    - even those of the keenest possible intellect and aesthetic ability-simply have not the psychological equipment or adjustment to feel that way
    Attempts to analyze ethics via logic, deriving that kindness must be weakness:
    - The undesirability of any system of rule not tempered with the quality of kindness is obvious; for "kindness" is a complex collection of various impulses, reactions and realisations highly necessary to the smooth adjustment of botched and freakish creatures like most human beings. It is a weakness basically—or, in some cases, and ostentation of secure superiority—but its net effect is desirable; hence it is, on the whole, praiseworthy. Since all motives at bottom are selfish and ignoble, we may judge acts and qualities only be their effects. Pessimism produces kindness. The disillusioned philosopher is even more tolerant than the priggish bourgeois idealist with his sentimental and extravagant notions of human dignity and destiny.
    Devalues senses saying that "less material life" is a truer form of life. There's some derealization happening here, which hints at strong introversion, or may be intuition, or both.
    - Life has never interested me so much as the escape from life.
    - Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.
    - Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have.
    In general, he has a rather impersonal, detached, even bleak view of the world, though it was probably compounded by his sickness:
    - It must be remembered that there is no real reason to expect anything in particular from mankind; good and evil are local expedients—or their lack—and not in any sense cosmic truths or laws. We call a thing "good" because it promotes certain petty human conditions that we happen to like—whereas it is just as sensible to assume that all humanity is a noxious pest and should be eradicated like rats or gnats for the good of the planet or of the universe. There are no absolute values in the whole blind tragedy of mechanistic nature—nothing is good or bad except as judged from an absurdly limited point of view. The only cosmic reality is mindless, undeviating fate—automatic, unmoral, uncalculating inevitability. As human beings, our only sensible scale of values is one based on lessening the agony of existence. That plan is most deserving of praise which most ably fosters the creation of the objects and conditions best adapted to diminish the pain of living for those most sensitive to its depressing ravages. To expect perfect adjustment and happiness is absurdly unscientific and unphilosophical.
    - Universal suicide is the most logical thing in the world—we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice and childish fear of the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    as per stereotype he'd fit the profile of a 5, and i've seen 6 suggested for him elsewhere but i am certain that he was a 9. the idea of truth being incomprehensibly terrifying, and forces larger than life -- larger than our window of perception could ever fully capture -- flooding our consciousness to insanity. These to me are distinctly 9 themes of living in a world ultimately too big, too high, too complex, to ever have complete (if any) control over.
    I dunno about positive outlook triad for him, doesn't seem fitting, just not a guy with an uplifting, optimistic vision of life.

In one of his quotes he mentioned that he never wished to take his own life because he was always intensely involved in his hobbies and interests, which hints at him being sx-primary. Remembering back to Naranjo's lectures about how sx 5's are prone to grooming of their inner demons, and how this is quite fitting of Lovecraft's writing, I would be inclined to type him something like 5w4 sx/sp or at least a wing-5.
    Last edited by silke; 05-24-2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@siuntal , you may be right re: enneagram type, it's interesting tho that maybe the quality i ascribed to nine is a withdrawn trait (459); shrinking away from the world because it seems too complex to handle. how each of these types cope w/ it may be different, 9s by spreading themselves thin and being "pleasant", fun or easy-going (279), 5s by becoming competent at a niche in order to keep up (135) and 4s by prizing their own reactions, emotions and individuality in the face of a vastly unfamiliar world (468). food for thought.

Word Definition Warrior – WDW Troll Nr 007's Avatar
    TIM
    H-ILE-Ne 7w6-2w1-1w9
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rejecting oneself over truth. Alpha-NT, purest form. I say LII.
    Enneagram 3 blindspot. Visual deficits in 4, 8. Triple instinctual blindspot.

Highly immature Discord channel
    because enneagram is just too simple and therefore we need to develop a new classification system called Rhombic triacontahedron with life module containing eukaryotes, prokaryotes and virus.