Thread: ENFp's view of the IEs

Hybrid View

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ENFp's view of the IEs

I kinda like what MtD is doing with that thread, so why the hell not me too? I love talking about my opinions about the few things I have opinions on

1:
    Ne seems much more like a background process to me than anything else. If I ever want to draw upon some mental imagery, I kinda have to force it in order for anything to really happen. It takes actual mental effort for me to engage in this process, and whenever I do it tends to produce stupid shit. Don't get me wrong though, I love stupid shit. It's fun to toss around ridiculous scenarios and expanding upon worlds for a little laugh. It's not as often that I'll see these things as having some overarching significance though, so I more take advantage of these situations as bonding experiences with other people and getting to know them better.

2:
    This is where the money's at. I feel pretty much everything that happens to me, albeit to varying degrees; the most important things in my life are always felt as some other internalized experience to which I react. Early on I've come to realize that there's a difference between knowing about meaning and feeling it, and my greatest source of inspiration in most things comes from the latter. I talk about my experience with Fi a lot, so for me to repeat myself feels redundant. I do think that my experiential perspective comes through a lot in the way I talk about my life, despite how much I try to stay intellectual when talking about things. For example, you will note that I started this post with the intention of talking about the IEs themselves, but it has eventually devolved into my personal experiences with people who exhibit each IE. So it goes.

3:
    ON MY GOD IT'S A DOG. LOOK AT THE DOG, IT IS A DOG. DOGGGGGG DOGDGODGOGODODOLKAAGIDGIADGKDLFJL
    is a pretty accurate representation of my perspective on Se. It seems equally as distracted as Ne, but in a way that I don't know how to play off of. It's like the sense of fun is lost on me with Se-oriented banter, and it turns into just Things Happening Without Rhyme Or Reason. It can get utterly confusing for me to hear an Se type talk about something that piques his interest, once they start talking about the forms and contours of things. My reaction to it all is something along the lines of "okay, so what's your point?" I just get so drained from that kind of interaction that I have to get away from it.

4:
    I'm not sure if I've ever had any overt conflicts with people solely from their usage of it. I find that so long as we agree on the thing we're talking about, we'll be able to understand each other fairly well regardless of what IEs we manifest. I don't see IE valuing as a sign of intelligence in and of itself, and the Ti types I get along with the best are ones who are intellectually on par with me and understand how to communicate their ideas. What I do find, though, is that I almost never hear Ti types talk about something from a personal perspective. Everything is described very impersonally and cognitively without any sort of experience coloring it. In this way I see Ti as more a lack of Fi than anything else.

5:
    Most of my friends are Si types, and they generally work out pretty well as friends. It's very instinctive for me to be able to shoot the shit with them, and they seem fairly receptive to my brand of stupid shit. It's like there's some sort of hindbrain-sync between me and Si, like it's very easy for us to just exist and not get tripped up as much by what we see in the world. But again, stupid shit can only go so far before we understand who we really are and how we understand things. Even so, it's an easy basis for friendship and I can't complain much about that.

6:
    I find myself instinctively attracted to Te people, perhaps more so than Si people. There's a sense of intellectual and emotional compatibility/comfort that I get around *most* Te types, like a much greater sense of "oh yeah, I get that" without having to explain my exact thought processes. Because of that, I find there's a much greater sense of mutual respect, so I feel very comfortable expressing my feelings around them in a way that feels natural to me. It's like I'm not afraid to make simple mistakes around Te types, because I get this confidence that they'll allow me to grow and learn from it without the negative judgment I fear. There also tends to be this certain stoicism in Te types that I find incredibly intriguing, like there's something beneath the surface that I can dig out. To be able to, for lack of a less sadistic term, push their buttons and get them to react in ways that I expect is a very satisfying feeling.

7:
    The only thing that strikes me as idiosyncratic about Ni is that I have immense trouble parsing the literal words of whoever speaks from its mindset. I have to literally sit down and plot out grammatical charts in my head and work out what he's trying to convey, almost like a math problem. Other than that I don't have any overt problems with Ni implementation, although being around Ni types for too long can feel a little stilted. For the same reason that hanging out with Si types makes it easy to shoot the shit, Ni types seem somewhat less inclined to go along with my brand of stupid shit. As such, I feel that I have to compensate by being more cognitive and intellectual, which I don't particularly mind per se so long as the person is capable of getting me on an intellectual level.

8:
    It's really hard for me to understand what world they're coming from when they speak their feelings/sentiments. It's like they expect me to have experienced the same thing in the same way that they did, so I always get tripped up when they go out of their way to describe something as "gorgeous" or "magnificent" as if they assume everybody will feel the same way about it. Think of it like that line in Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree, when she sings "you will get a sentimental feeling when you hear voicing singing." Who are you to tell me how I'm supposed to feel? I just find it hard to take Fe seriously in this way, because they sort of expect me to rip out my own emotions from myself and treat them as their own entities which can be analyzed and poked at.
    Last edited by Galen; 05-20-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in conclusion, you're EII.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    So in conclusion, you're EII.
    Well, the fact that he focuses so much on Fi and Ne is a background default "setting"--that does speak to Fi creative though. Per my understanding people focus a lot on their creative functions, and the dominant function is a "second nature" thing that just happens automatically.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does sound like base Ne feeding Creative Fi the way he talks about it, but OTOH I don't think i'd be able to call it background noise. He downplays it a lot more than I would. Still, I'd say IEE first, EII second choice.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so then im probably LSE

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Well, the fact that he focuses so much on Fi and Ne is a background default "setting"--that does speak to Fi creative though. Per my understanding people focus a lot on their creative functions, and the dominant function is a "second nature" thing that just happens automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    It does sound like base Ne feeding Creative Fi the way he talks about it, but OTOH I don't think i'd be able to call it background noise. He downplays it a lot more than I would. Still, I'd say IEE first, EII second choice.
    This is what I've come to assume as well, the background nature of Ne for me as indicative of Ne leading.

Despite how much I put Fi on a pedestal, I still see it as a creative IE within myself due to how it operates in relation with Ne. With Ji base types, they seem to have the internal framework as the primary basis for understanding the world, placing objects within that framework only once it's initially established. Pe bases seem to have it work the opposite, using the objects as basis for interacting with things and constructing frameworks around those things only afterwards. Think of it like a spider, either spinning webs around what is already there or fitting outside things into the web that's already been made.

I see my use of Fi as still somehow contingent on what's presented in front of me, but my primary focus is on the creation of these little spider webs upon the background. Perhaps this is how Ji-EP types operate in general.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is hard to tell between mirrors sometimes, becasue there's some variation between how much a person focuses on their base vs. creative function. If you are Ip temperament, you're probably SLI.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.