Thread: Information: analog v digital

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Information: analog v digital

Perhaps this has been discussed before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_signal

I think that we perceive information related to our strong functions as analog variables, whereas we cannot see the nuances when it comes to registering info with our weak functions (digital perception). What is more, we tend not to notice at all info related to our polr. Thoughts?
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Where's the poll?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the aspects,
    N, S = continual'nost' (integrity);
    F, T = discretion (divisibility)
    Perceiving elements easily fit analog, where there is a continuous flow of information so minute that it's nigh impossible for us to split them apart. Each point in time/space of a signal entering the senses and mind are significant. And each minute singal is integrated into a whole....leading us to our perceptions of the flow...at the time of the flow. (note: the flow could be happening via the senses..and the flow would be occuring in our minds as we remember a past, or imagine a future/alternative)

Judging elements easily fit digital, where instead of dealing with minute flow of information, you're instead dealing with chunks which are valued/judged according to whether it is above or below some discrete threshold. Even to attempt to break up a perception (or analog signaling), you have to have some kind of guideline or value set as a way of distinguishing this from that.

Ne and Se would be dealing with analog signals of things, people, and events that are "static" in nature. But static in socionics doesn't mean not moving. It would mean that Pe types deal with signals that regularly and consistently show up. For example, Se descriptions often include perceiving the attributes of concrete objects. A red ball is spherical and red...those attributes aren't likely to change easily without some kind of outside influence acting on the ball itself.

Ni and Si would be dealing with analog signals of the fields between things, people, and events that are "dyncamic" in nature. So Pi types deal with signals of changing fields. These fields and changes are so minute that both Si and Ni would be even more focused on "flow" and how those fields influence each other. For example, where an Se type is focusing on the attributes of the ball, an Si type is focusing on the movements and motions of that ball, particularly via its relationships to other things that are moving. Close your eyes and run a fingernail gently down your arm, following it by the moving sensations, and then compare that with focusing specifically on the attributes of the finger itself. Each focus requires a completely different method of tracking and attending to the signals being sent.

This was just an example. i don't have time right now to get into the whole shebang (mother duties are calling), but I'd given up on anyone else taking a look at the analog/digital thing as it relates to socionics' elements/aspects.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N, S = continual'nost' (integrity);
    F, T = discretion (divisibility)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    I think that we perceive information related to our strong functions as analog variables, whereas we cannot see the nuances when it comes to registering info with our weak functions (digital perception). What is more, we tend not to notice at all info related to our polr. Thoughts?
    I think it's just simply the flow of info; when info comes in first, it's always evaluated by the base function but when doing so, the person is aware of the polr element but aren't involved in it's activity because the person of the base function related work; now the PolR can have or engage with activity only when it's engaged with someone of that function, but with limited stamina.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silly arguments like Annedelise posed are what happens when you let society frame your mind, rather than letting your mind frame society.

I don't really see things in analog terms, except when it comes to quantities, and those are a Te thing.

Analog vs digital seems to be a Te vs Ti deal.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Silly arguments like Annedelise posed are what happens when you let society frame your mind, rather than letting your mind frame society.
    How's that working out for you?
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post

I don't really see things in analog terms, except when it comes to quantities, and those are a Te thing.

Analog vs digital seems to be a Te vs Ti deal.
    You mean that's a difference between static and dynamic types?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html