Hello! I'm here because I want to confirm my personality type. I've done several tests, and score ENTJ / LIE. The Socionics descriptions describe me better than the MBTI version, which seems to assume that all ENTJs are square-jawed captains of industry, gung-ho military commanders, or megalomaniacal dictators. (Of course, I have written a five page manifesto for how the world should be run.)
Reasons why ENTJ fits:
- Academic high achiever. Dominate classrooms. Know-it-all. Found it hard to understand people who weren't at school to learn.
- Work environment: supervisors praise my voracious appetite for work, ability to quickly master tasks, meet deadlines, & analytical skills. Can be over-efficient: contracts have ended early because work supposed to last a month, I did in a fortnight.
- In public situations, described as confident, fiery, aggressive, opinionated. But also friendly, cheerful & positive; full of gusto.
- Highly eloquent; clarity of thought & writing style.
- Natural public speaker. Relax when I'm the centre of attention. Sometimes find it easier to speak to an audience than to make small talk. I get energy from large groups, but it's the activity rather than the socialising that I like. Gifted with rhetoric.
- Short-tempered; tendency to get into arguments. Tend to complain about small matters (usually people's stupidity, or things not working properly). Or incompetent teachers.
- Not always aware of people's feelings / emotions.
- Grasp theories quickly, but have little patience with theoreticians who deny the existence of the real world / objectivity / reason.
- Greatest fear is of not achieving my potential. Worried that I'm running out of time.
- Tend to plan ahead.
- Lists, charts, graphs, timetables.
Reasons why ENTJ doesn't fit:
- Can be nervous & shy. Not always sure of myself. As a kid, I was very confident; thought my natural place was centre stage; lead roles in school plays, inspiring crowds; class president in primary school... Changed countries several times in school; in high school, I was a social outsider, & thought of myself as weird & incompetent.
- Career indecision. My intention since primary school has been to become a TV producer / script-writer. If I were living in the UK, this would be easy; unfortunately, I'm living in Australia, which specialises in kitchen sink drama & soap operas (neither of which interest me in the slightest). I've spent the decade since leaving school building up skills to get to the UK (Honours in English & History, M.Phil. in English), intending to get a scholarship to do a Ph.D., & simultaneously do a TV production / script-writing course. BUT I realised that I wasn't well suited for academe as a career - too many half-baked theoreticians who rely far more on theory & political outrage than on evidence; too isolated. (Why didn't I do Drama in high school? Because I got Cs in Year 10 - working with people who didn't put in effort - & decided my marks weren't good enough.) I've also drifted from contract job to contract job in the public service; I can do the work easily, but it's tedious, not the best use of my abilities, & I don't like being a cog in the machine. The fact that I've suffered from stress-related chronic fatigue & anxiety for much of that time makes things worse; I've looked for safe environments (which produces stress & reinforces self-doubt). Basically, I'm stuck in a loop thinking that I haven't achieved any of the things I should have done by now & that therefore I'm a failure.
- Highly imaginative. SF&F; murder mysteries; humorous novels. More interested in history & literature (so long as it's not introspective angst or nihilism) than business or economics.
- Natural talent for writing comedy. Witty; puns & wordplay. A ham actor. Highly sardonic sense of humour.
- Absent-minded & clumsy.
Now, what about a Q&A session?
I understand that it's possible to type people based on their appearance & mannerisms. If it would help, I can post photographs of myself. Naked. With an avocado.