Thread: infatuation and type

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default infatuation and type

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_basis_of_love

Chemically, the serotonin effects of being infatuated have a similar chemical appearance to obsessive-compulsive disorder; which could explain why people experiencing infatuation cannot think of anyone else. [10]
    In 2000, a study led by Semir Zeki and Andreas Bartels of University College London concluded that at least two areas of the brain become more active when in love. These were foci in the media insula, which the brain associates with instinct, and part of the anterior cingulate cortex, which is associated with feelings of euphoria. [15]
    under these circumstances why wouldn't EVERYONE act like an "aggressor" when they're infatuated? I'm serious. ocd-ish brain, activated instincts, all this jazz.

so does everybody experience this similarly cuz its biological? if so, how do some of you maintain some self-control? lol

I doubt its actually type related so feel free to go elsewhere, but I thought this could be a good starting point.

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kassie View Post

how do some of you maintain some self-control? lol

We don't lol..... I do think it's more difficult for some impulsive types who are looking for intense experiences. Yes, it's easy to become addicted to the feelings that sex and/or love produces, and to look for a certain "fix" from someone who can produce these feelings in you.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think i can weigh in on this, being that i've been notoriously infatuated a few times now...

I'd say both of those quoted excerpts ring true for me. When I'm infatuated with someone, i do feel very "on", my mind and physical energy both. Being "on" in mind and body should not, however, automatically imply aggressor-like behavior. OCD-like behavior is just OCD-like behavior, how is that specifically aggressor-like? And activated instincts means just that... one's instincts are activated... if the instincts are aggressor instincts then yes, if the instincts are non-aggressor instincts then they wont be aggressor-like.

Personal experiences that might clarify:
    In college, an infatuation of mine that started freshman year pretty much catapulted me from being potentially a B-C student to straight A-s. I called it "inspiration", and well maybe it was. My recent infatuation with a guy at the gym spiked my energy level such that I was heading to the gym EVERY DAY and working out twice as hard as I usually do for like 5-6 months. Another one right before that had me running 6 half-marathons in the span of 1.5 years. I am noticing that effect now in retrospect, now that both infatuations are over and my energy levels have dipped significantly. None of these were aggressor-like behaviors. They were a manifestation that that extra motivation of being in love with someone can produce. That is how this sort of lighting up of instincts manifests in myself--I dont go after the person (well maybe a little bit) as much as I try to improve myself. Everyone is different though.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I think i can weigh in on this, being that i've been notoriously infatuated a few times now...

I'd say both of those quoted excerpts ring true for me. When I'm infatuated with someone, i do feel very "on", my mind and physical energy both. Being "on" in mind and body should not, however, automatically imply aggressor-like behavior. OCD-like behavior is just OCD-like behavior, how is that specifically aggressor-like? And activated instincts means just that... one's instincts are activated... if the instincts are aggressor instincts then yes, if the instincts are non-aggressor instincts then they wont be aggressor-like.

Personal experiences that might clarify:
    In college, an infatuation of mine that started freshman year pretty much catapulted me from being potentially a B-C student to straight A-s. I called it "inspiration", and well maybe it was. My recent infatuation with a guy at the gym spiked my energy level such that I was heading to the gym EVERY DAY and working out twice as hard as I usually do for like 5-6 months. Another one right before that had me running 6 half-marathons in the span of 1.5 years. I am noticing that effect now in retrospect, now that both infatuations are over and my energy levels have dipped significantly. None of these were aggressor-like behaviors. They were a manifestation that that extra motivation of being in love with someone can produce. That is how this sort of lighting up of instincts manifests in myself--I dont go after the person (well maybe a little bit) as much as I try to improve myself. Everyone is different though.
    Similar has happened to me. Feelings can be great motivators.

-----------------------

Idk, I'm kindof aggressive anyways, so it's kindof hard to say whether I become more aggressive or not when infatuated. Maybe a little, due to sexual feelings. When I was a young girl, I was shy, so I would never let on to the person I was even infatuated. (That was dumb lolol..... since then I didn't know if I had a chance with them or not.) So many lost opportunities.... So, infatuation didn't trigger aggressor behaviors when I was younger, I think because I was shy and too chicken to act on the feelings. These days, sure, I've acted on them, and it feels good to do so.
    Last edited by jet city woman; 03-29-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't say i become more like an "aggressor"; if anything i became more defensive and passive out of a kind of fear of having the illusion shattered. as a kid i was really bad in that regard. the first romantic escapade i've had failed because i freaked out and avoided her fanatically after she proposed to "get involved" or whatever the word is. its probably the stupidest thing i've done in my entire life, lol.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're all aggressors, yes. Now STFU and bend over.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    i wouldn't say i become more like an "aggressor"; if anything i became more defensive and passive out of a kind of fear of having the illusion shattered.

^

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Alphas.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-bg

sometimes i hate this place.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Me too.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes i hate parkster.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Me 2.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argh, as depressing as it sounds I haven't felt anything like this for at least the last two years. I mean, I've run into women I'm physically attracted to but none that were deeply interesting and fascinating to me.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ nitpick.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kassie View Post
    under these circumstances why wouldn't EVERYONE act like an "aggressor" when they're infatuated?
    Would like to know which kind of temperament everyone exhibits when not infatuated, first.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Argh, as depressing as it sounds I haven't felt anything like this for at least the last two years. I mean, I've run into women I'm physically attracted to but none that were deeply interesting and fascinating to me.
    Minus a few exceptions Im more or less in the same boat
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Why is that depressing or a negative thing at all?
    It is depressing when you're not infatuated, not an aggressor, for constant aggressor behaviour you have to remain in a permanent infatuation phase. So it can be draining.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm suddenly reminded of Twilight.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm suddenly reminded of Twilight.
    Fine.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    Minus a few exceptions Im more or less in the same boat
    Send all yo wiminz my way. I dont care fo' no personal qualities. Bitchez R gud 4 1 thang.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Send all yo wiminz my way. I dont care fo' no personal qualities. Bitchez R gud 4 1 thang.
    You sure you're not Gilly's dual?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    You sure you're not Gilly's dual?

Im sure I'mma bust a cap in yo ass if u keep disrespeccin me.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Im sure I'mma bust a cap in yo ass if u keep disrespeccin me.
    I won't, monkey.