Thread: Effects of Stress on Type?

TIM
    Si-SLI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Effects of Stress on Type?

If someone has gone through prolonged stress, what affect does that have on their type/ability to be typed?

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechman View Post
    If someone has gone through prolonged stress, what affect does that have on their type/ability to be typed?
    I think it depends on how the stress has affected behavior/expression of information preferences and IM cues.

If it simply exaggerates existing preferences and processing, it may not affect typing, but if there is distortion of type expression or masks being adopted, it could confuse typing. Something like dissociative identity disorder can easily result in an individual expressing multiple types.

TIM
    Si-SLI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I think that'd largely depend on whatever genetic inclinations towards mental illness they have. For instance, if the person's a latent schizophrenic and then suddenly this gets activated due to severe trauma or long-term stress, then yes this would likely influence their typability.
    Disregarding mental illness, what affect would it have on one's personality.

For example, in MBTI, an ESTP with become very withdrawn and antisocial when under extreme stress. As well as very rigid and inflexible. Making them seem more IXXJ.

ISTP's tend to become overly sensitive, making them appear like an XXFX.

TIM
    Si-SLI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I think it depends on how the stress has affected behavior/expression of information preferences and IM cues.

If it simply exaggerates existing preferences and processing, it may not affect typing, but there is distortion of type expression or masks being adopted, it could confuse typing. Something like dissociative identity disorder can easily result in an individual expressing multiple types.
    How would exaggerating preferences manifest?

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechman View Post
    How would exaggerating preferences manifest?
    I think Jung's writing on this is actually a bit more detailed than Socionics, as he dealt more with mental illnesses then the Socionists. Socionics is more about healthy individuals. I think stress can lead to temporary/permanent neurosis, so that would be a direction to observe.

For example

Quote Originally Posted by Jung
    Hysteria is, in my view, by far the most frequent neurosis with the extraverted type. The classical example of hysteria is always characterized by an exaggerated rapport with the members of his circle, and a frankly imitatory accommodation to surrounding conditions. A constant tendency to appeal for interest and to produce impressions upon his milieu is a basic trait of the hysterical nature. A correlate to this is his proverbial suggestibility, his pliability to another person's influence. Unmistakable extraversion comes out in the communicativeness of the hysteric, which occasionally leads to the divulging of purely phantastic contents; whence arises the reproach of the hysterical lie.

To begin with, the 'hysterical' character is an exaggeration of the normal attitude; it is then complicated by compensatory reactions from the side of the unconscious, which manifests its opposition to the extravagant extraversion in the form of physical disorders, whereupon an introversion of psychic energy becomes unavoidable. Through this reaction of the unconscious, another category of symptoms arises which have a more introverted character. A morbid intensification of phantasy activity belongs primarily to this category. From this general characterization of the extraverted attitude, let us now turn to a description of the modifications, which the basic psychological functions undergo as a result of this attitude.

There is of course more here http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-Types-by-Jung

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my theory is: more focus on Base function, less on Creative. this is because the Base function is passive but capable of being used in a state of exhaustion and disorientation.

there are a few implications to this that can be tested. it is not just some linguistic construct without correlates to the real and observable.

when focused on the Base function, you are vulnerable to the Creating version of the same function as your Base. for example, focusing on Base Ti makes you vulnerable to Creating Ti. as such, you would be vulnerable, not just to the supervisor, but also to your Mirror and Quasi-Identical's ID functions.

when focused on the Creating function you are vulnerable to the Base version of the function that is the same as your Creating in all respects except inverted internal/external. for example, Creating Ne is vulnerable to Base Se. as such you would be vulnerable to not just supervisor, but also Conflictor and Activity ID functions.

the supervisor supervises you in both instances. this makes them unique.

Duality is better than Mirror and Activity because it never leaves you vulnerable to the person's functions.

important factoid: NEITHER attitude is without a vulnerability. this is one of the main corrections i make to the theory from my own postulates. NO function offers a "safe haven".