Thread: Mirror Personality

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mirror Personality

So I have a theory sort of related to analytical psychology. The ideas sort of trace back to Jung's concept of the Anima/Animus. I believe that people who started out growing up in a stable environment are more likely to become perceiving types than judging types whereas people that were in unreliable and unpredictable environments become judgers.

My mother, for example, had a mother who was a total scatterbrain. She left a lot of jobs unfinished, was very disorganized, and unreliable. As a result, my mother took over a lot of house responsibilities in the family and managed her own surroundings to cope with an unpredictable environment caused by her mother. So the reason she has always been a meticulous planner is because she has the attitude that the outside world is dynamic and is unsettled by it so she acts quickly to adjust to her surroundings.

Since I, on the other hand, have parents that placed a lot of value on stability, I grew up in a very stable and mostly predictable environment. Since it was all stable, I probably got bored of it like a normal child or dog would have so when I felt the drive of curiosity, it took me over. Stability was the last thing I cared about in my life. I wanted to DEstabilize some aspects; wake up at four o'clock in the morning to sing songs, ask people all sort of questions at any point in time, defy rules set by other people's games. As long as I didn't get in trouble (I'm a type nine on the Enneagram so at the same time, I do not like facing conflict and punishment), I had no reason to uphold standards that didn't appeal to me.

What are your thoughts on this? Did you grow up in an unstable environment or stable environment and do you think those particular features of your surroundings impacted your own perception of the world?

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...My perception impacts my surroundings which impacts my perception. Type is inborn.

As to your question. My environment? I'd say it depends...more so unstable.
    Last edited by Leader; 03-08-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    ...My perception impacted my surroundings which impacted my perception.
    The theory is: My surroundings impacted my perception. Your perception needs to develop before having any perception to begin with.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Type isn't inborn as there are been some convincing examples I've seen of identical twins of differing types. Of course there have also been identical twins separated at birth that have turned out remarkably similar and are identical types as well.

Genes and environment can both play a dominant influence in a person's type imo.

The mechanism by which type becomes stabilized I don't think is known at this time, or can be measured.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an identical twin. His name is Strabadoob and he lives on the moon.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Type is inborn. Type exists because of stable motives and these motive are stable because they are upheld by drives.

In summary: type is inborn. And we'd might as well treat it that way, lest we end up trying to blame others for our own genetic shortcomings.