Thread: Se-egos and being cocky

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Se-egos and being cocky

Is it a way to mask their insecurities by acting cocky? To me it's exaggerated self-confidence.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're quick to assume they're Se-egos...

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm far from Se ego, and I've been called cocky.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cocky is a quality commonly associated with extraversion and positivism (i.e. empowering behavior - Se-SxE, Ne-IxE, Ni-xIE and Si-xSE are cocky).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-pokeball

Se dominants often apply force equally everywhere. I do not think it is specifically to be "cocky", because that would require active or reactive response, which I do not believe to be specific to this sort of temperament theory. Se dominants are not that much different. Again, however, premeditation is not specific to this sort of theory.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The Ne? The Ne cannot TOUCH me."

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's part of mY sense of humor to be cockY at times... but its alwaYs a joke when i do it. a joke about how seriouslY awesome i am.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no but i don't actuallY come across as cockY irl. i'm not verY confident, but i make an effort to appear so because good things happen when You do.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've noticed both Se and Si egos start with the letter S and S stands for socionics. Type related?

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love jokingly being cocky.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Is it a way to mask their insecurities by acting cocky?
    I don't think so. But exaggerated self-confidence/self-righteousness - yes. They often lack the ability to introspect and openly admit their flaws and mistakes.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    I don't think so. But exaggerated self-confidence/self-righteousness - yes. They often lack the ability to introspect and openly admit their flaws and mistakes.
    No, I haven't seen this to be true of Se types. What I have seen, rather, is that they can be highly selective about whom they will reveal their weaknesses to, and I'm supposing you're not one of those people.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get cockiness from most any Se types I know in person, especially true for the Gamma SFs. Any Se types that demonstrate perceived cockiness to me are all enneagram assertive triads (3s, 7s, and 8s.
    Last edited by Galen; 03-06-2012 at 06:29 AM.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm talking more like bragging about how many pushups they do, how they don't back down from anything, how smart they were about something, etc. Obviously not all of them will be like that, but I've been seeing that trend. Things like "well yeah, if I had the same X as that person I'd be as successful or more". I've actually seen it more from Gamma SFs than Betas, Galen.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Also factor in that Se-devaluers often have difficulty correctly interpreting Se types, where things they say often come off more extreme or aggressive, etc. than was literally intended.
    As the thread was progressing, this is what my mind kept settling on, bc I know that I can find certain people in my life habitually *very* aggressive though their apparent Socionics types are not known stereotypically for that quality. I think it has to do with what we're comfortable with.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cocky cocks are more visible. When you see something cocky, there's a good chance it's Se ego. If you see a more restrained Se ego, you don't take notice.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Cocky is a quality commonly associated with extraversion and positivism (i.e. empowering behavior - Se-SxE, Ne-IxE, Ni-xIE and Si-xSE are cocky).
    Yeah, agreed. I usually see this quality mainly from guys of these types.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    it's part of mY sense of humor to be cockY at times... but its alwaYs a joke when i do it. a joke about how seriouslY awesome i am.
    I pretty much do this.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Dunno, I can't really surmise this as especially type-specific. I see it a lot from males in general, particularly if they're under 30-35 years old. For instance, I frequently end up getting into convos about sports and exercise with guys in my class, and they're always inflating their performance stats about how fast they ran or how many miles they biked or what have you, and I'm just thinking "yeah fucking right" because they're obviously spouting off stats only an olympic athlete would have. I used to do it some too, of course, though not much anymore (now I'm good enough that I don't have to exaggerate lol).

Though qualitatively I think I know what you're getting at re: some types appearing more confident than they actually are. Sometimes this is deliberate—like CONFIMED said, they can be rather selective about who they choose to reveal insecurities or vulnerability to. Other times it isn't so deliberate, and they may just be getting carried away and talking big because it happens to be amusing at the time.

Also factor in that Se-devaluers often have difficulty correctly interpreting Se types, where things they say often come off more extreme or aggressive, etc. than was literally intended.
    Guys are what usually come to mind, haven't really seen cocky women of those types (lol at "cocky women"). With time I've been considerably less intimidated by Se stuff, and can more or less filter out when something is on purpose, joke, or whatever. Actually my initial inclination is to consider it as a joke, but then it becomes apparent to me that the person is really cocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Cocky cocks are more visible. When you see something cocky, there's a good chance it's Se ego. If you see a more restrained Se ego, you don't take notice.
    Lol! And yes, I do take notice of the restrained ones, but to me they're not a lot.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it sounds more like some form of compensation for lack of real Se. faking it till you make it.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

What is being "cocky" mean?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

All self-confidence and true power is kind of annoying to be honest. I know when I'm super good at something, and nobody else can see it, and only I can, and it's like I gotta lead the group, and it's frustrating, because I know all this power I have will just distance me from others. I think that's why I kinda downplay myself a lot irl. I'm obviously incredibly and blatantly powerful in many ways, but it's a little scary. I know how jealous and insecure people get when they're around self-confident and happy people. "They like you better when you're depressed." Esther Hicks.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    I love jokingly being cocky.
    You will never be SEE.

I don't think you really even WANT to be; maybe if you knew more SEEs and didn't rely on comparisons to Caesar and some descriptions' inflation of their provocativeness or "sexual power" or whatever, you would see this. I think you are Beta NF, and the image you seem to have in your head of what you want to be, is more typical of Beta NFs than SEEs. You are just misguided.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    You will never be SEE.
    You hear that SL. Gilly put a curse on you. I wonder though what kind of object belonging to you did he obtain.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    You will never be SEE.

I don't think you really even WANT to be; maybe if you knew more SEEs and didn't rely on comparisons to Caesar and some descriptions' inflation of their provocativeness or "sexual power" or whatever, you would see this. I think you are Beta NF, and the image you seem to have in your head of what you want to be, is more typical of Beta NFs than SEEs. You are just misguided.
    Just because it's still in my signature doesn't mean I actually believe it entirely. I've just left it since the last time I changed it. Provocativeness or "sexual power" umm... no I don't see the latter in their descriptions. I don't really consider myself "sexually powerful" tbh. Passionate and intense yes, but not "powerful". Just making that clear.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a way to mask their insecurities by acting cocky? To me it's exaggerated self-confidence.
    I think to some extent you have it right. I think that if any type wanted to hide their insecurities emphasizing their leading function and showing it off would be the most natural and common method.

On the other hand cockiness is something that sort of naturally comes with Se. I mean it's displayed in different ways, sometimes in very unhealthy and disruptive ways, but in general a healthy Se dominant, I assume, would view themselves as a very capable individual and as the Se dominant becomes less healthy they increasingly need some external feedback that they are capable. I also view part of the importance of Ni to Se dominants is to remind them how much effort or work actually needs to be put into an activity and, to put it dramatically, dampen their god complex.

Though, of course, cockiness is something that can, and does, exist in every type.
    Easy Day

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    What is being "cocky" mean?
    It means one has a mushroom print on their forehead while enraged in random shouting.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae View Post
    It means one has a mushroom print on their forehead while enraged in random shouting.
    LOL ROFL

Arrogance and one thinks too much of themselves.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

your mom likes a bit of cocky

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit: ime, what is said at face value is to be taken at face value to understand it. In other words: some people say cocky shit just to say it. Sometimes it doesn't even mean a thing. The only deeper thing I get of it is that more often than not it's said for the audience who expects them to act macho and buys into their talk. I tend not to buy into it and typically the talk stops there and we really talk without talking through a false image.
    Last edited by aixelsyd; 03-26-2012 at 03:07 AM.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    Not sure if I'm getting how you mean 'cocky' but I perceive it as saying meaningless shit that sounds grandiose but is for momentary effect and as a matter of habit. If someone talks big in front of certain people then it's going to be hard to stop acting that way...like how wrestlers act for an audience. But I don't take that kind of behavior as descriptive of one's overall level of confidence. It certainly can be used to mask weakness but I wouldn't say it's the primary purpose.
    Like when your mom says she loves you and you mean the world to her.

Yeah, I know Se egos, especially Se leading folk who have that reputation of acting all macho and a lot of people buy into it and they keep it up and probably because of the unsaid expectation. I don't buy into it and interestingly they quickly drop the act around me and we can just be our selves.
    I see it as military fascism.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    Like when your mom says she loves you and you mean the world to her.

More like when she tells me to set myself on fire and jump off a bridge to cool off.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    More like when she tells me to set myself on fire and jump off a bridge to cool off.
    Yeh? What's she know. She oughta just push you.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't read right now so I don't know anything previous to me shouting my thoughts across the interwebs, but the people I've generally typed as Se-dominant tend to be, at their best, assertive without being overbearing, confident, relatively focused in what they've thought about (they aren't generalists so much). As such, they're usually pretty good at what they're doing and they don't give a damn about most things outside their particular sphere of whatever. Huh, I wonder if this really means anything. Could be useless. It's just a magnetic feeling towards them or something, like they've got momentum and gravity, like they're a legitimate force in the universe and maybe, just maybe, they make you start to consider whether you want to remain an object or become something more...directional?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me I am utterly charmed by it.

TIM
    female
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm playing miss fortune in league, she sometimes tells me to not get cocky. This has helped me tremendously as the champion is quite immobile. Some of the best advice I've ever received.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

all it takes to be cocky is to be complimented or supported one too many times. cockiness is one of those hubristic characteristics, so it is in yours and the person you're encouraging's benefit to be honest or, if there's little to be said about the merit of the deed, to tend towards criticality.

TIM
    female
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    all it takes to be cocky is to be complimented or supported one too many times. cockiness is one of those hubristic characteristics, so it is in yours and the person you're encouraging's benefit to be honest or, if there's little to be said about the merit of the deed, to tend towards criticality.
    Yeah I was watching Mirrai Nikki and the main character is a picture perfect example. It continued to get worse and worse until finally he literally busted out his cock in one of the scenes, off camera ofc , and fugged the main gril.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muhtempus View Post
    Yeah I was watching Mirrai Nikki and the main character is a picture perfect example. It continued to get worse and worse until finally he literally busted out his cock in one of the scenes, off camera ofc , and fugged the main gril.
    heh? well. nothin to say about that really.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nah. It's not Se.. Se are more humble.. NT..are more cocky.. Enfj are cocky..

I find enfj more cocky than estps..

Esfps aren't that cocky at all..

Se dom as cocky debunked..

Cocky are those Te users. And Ni.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast