Thread: Brene Brown: the power of vunerability

Creepy-female

Default Brene Brown: the power of vunerability

Last edited by female; 07-09-2015 at 06:17 PM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the thread, i've found that there is no guaranteed way to win.
    If you bump an old thread, people get upset.
    If you make a new thread, people get upset and tell you to do a search next time.
    If the old thread has a title that doesn't fit your question, Theres less chance the people who could answer would go to that title.

Example, a gardening forum i was once a member of, had an engineering type guy who seemed to know alot about soil needs and creating good soil. He would say something, people would ooh and ahh, someone would ask a clarifying question, then he'd bitch them out for being too lazy to look up the info in his old threads.

This happened, a LOT! The bitching. So, in an effort to understand more about soil needs, I pulled up all his old posts (this guy wrote a lot!), and sorted through to find the ones that dealt specifically with soil amendments (starting from neutral potting mix). I thin started noting the ingredients and amounts. But it kept changing. The guy was doing experiments, but only giving partial info, and no feedback as to what went wrong, nor why he'd make a sudden change in amount/ingredients. Still, i compiled the info, and wrote a post which included all the info he,d given...the differences in what he said...pointed out that I obviously scoured through his posts like he demands, and then asked clarifying questions. And, instead of clarifying anything, he gave me the same spiel, about don,t be lazy, search my old posts. And when i wrote back giving him the links of his posts and how my post was BASED on his past posts, he then told me that I,m overthinking it. No clarifications, nada.

I showed him exactly what people who searched as he requested would get...and how confusing and mixed up it was...and still he got pissy. Did that stop him from telling future questioners to search his old posts? Nope, he still does it.

-------

Anyways, that doesn't really help much, i know. What you experienced in that perfume forum is one of the reasons internet forums frustrate the hell out of me.

--------

As for signature scents...
    Have you considered making your own perfumes?
    After I post this, I'll go try to pull up a perfume book I have. And maybe find a link to a perfumery pc program.

Making your own perfume would give you a chance to learn what goes into a perfume and why. Also to experiment with finding scents that go well with your own scent, as well as your desired moods. After finding those scents, you can mix small batches up on your own, to suite whatever purpose/intent you have. You would also be less reliant on someone else,s demands/expectations/preferences.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfumes, Splashes, & Colognes: discovering and crafting your personal fragrances
    By nancy m booth
    http://www.amazon.com/Perfumes-Splas...dp/0882669850/

The Essential Oils Book: creating personal blends for mind and body
    By colleen k dodt
    http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Oils...dp/0882669133/

Ok, off to watch the video from your link.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re Perfume making: it's easier than I,d ever thought it could be. It can, however, get a bit pricey as you explore the oils and scents. I stopped my learning on it because it turned out that I'm just not that into scents. I prefer natural scents, or close to it. I gave most of my oils to my neighbor, but kept the books...just in case, heh.

For perfumes specifically, get the perfume one. The other book is more for things like scented baths, scented pouches/candles, etc. and includes oils you don,t want on your skin. The perfume one gives a few good starting points to choose from, and good ideas on how to evolve from there.

(Edited to add: the perfume book also briefly covers things like body powders, deoderants, etc)

I had deleted the perfume program i had downloaded. It went into chemical and scent analysis, gave a graphic of a given scent, and from there you build up a scent in a more mathematical route. Eh, i couldn't make much use of it.

Warning, once your friends know you know how to make perfumes, they,ll be willing to help pay for some of your oils so you can make stuff for them.

----------

Another problem with lumping your question into that one thread, is a new person may think that it'll make sense if they read from the beginning. Noone can find your question unless they read theough all the previous stuff.

And yeah...it sounds like that forum fits what the ted talk was about...with the need to control, catelogue, etc. suppressing enthusiasm because it might make things messy.

------

I had interpreted the guy's attitude as probably not recognizing that he had written them from one mindset...but that readers would be coming from a learning mindset. Also. He seemed to be the kind of person who is unaware of what he,s actually written before. He couldn't even seem to recognize that many of my quotes were quoting HIM. The kind of person that..".it,s in MY head, therefore it's in YOUR head too, therefore, you're either too stupid to recognize it, or you're just trying to cause troubles."

One of those people who are great at what the put their mind to, except really suck at teaching/helping others to learn it too.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp