Thread: Story time with Charlie!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Story time with Charlie!

Look at me! I’m about to make the most unoriginal and uninspired post you’ll read all day. Can you guess what I am going to say? Can you? Can you? I bet you can. Well here goes:

Socionics is a brilliant work of creative fiction, nothing more and nothing less. I say this not to criticize the Jungian pseudoscience. After all, everything we tell ourselves about ourselves is creative fiction. Like any juicy sci-fi novel, our stories are well enough grounded in reality and our subjective experiences thereof that we are able to connect, relate and absorb ourselves within their narratives. The best story tellers among us have a way of seeding their narratives in the minds of outsiders whence they take hold, spreading far and wide. Carl Jung was an excellent story teller, which is why, 100 after his death, we continue to incorporate his stories within our own.

Of course, that we are peddlers of tall-tales does not make of us liars. The stories we tell ourselves become our realities. If an objective reality exists beyond the confines of my awareness, I don’t imagine it’d be correct to treat it as though it were any more real than the perceptual universe in which I as an individual reside. Thus, as far as I am concerned, the only workable definition of dishonesty is one that is synonymous with hypocrisy. We lie when we attempt to plant in the minds of others stories that differs substantially from the ones we tell ourselves. Similarly, we lie to ourselves when we attempt to plant in our own minds stories that differ substantially from the ones we actually believe.

Many here have recently accused me of dishonesty. To that accusation I would reply that I try as hard as possible to be as honest as possible as often as possible with myself and with others in all significant respects. I do revise my internal narrative at a rate that many find unsettling. If you, dear listener, happen to be reading from a meta-script in which dynamically revising one’s internal script constitutes immorality, I’ll have you understand we are not on the same page. To misquote Charlie Darwin, “it is not he whose internal narrative is strongest or most intelligently drafted who survives. It is he whose narrative is most adaptable to change that survives.” Like all who love themselves and this universe we inhabit, I’m fighting for my survival the best way I know how. I’m sorry if my survival interferes with your own. I assure you I’m not assaulting your spirit out of cruelty or hatred, but unless you can adapt, the assault isn't going to stop.
    Last edited by chrisalys; 02-14-2012 at 12:44 AM.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good shot ekp! You got some steel on the target!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstorm View Post
    Good shot ekp! You got some steel on the target!
    Awe you changed your comment after I quoted you

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For the record, I still think Hkkmr needs to make Korpsey a moderator.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give my moderatorship to ESC or Effie.

Also, get used to the idea that people will judge you according to their standards of right or honesty, not yours in whatever convenient form they happen to assume in any moment. If you're going to be an asshole then take ownership of it and be an asshole with pride, don't run from it like a punk.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    Give my moderatorship to ESC or Effie.

Also, get used to the idea that people will judge you according to their standards of right or honesty, not yours in whatever convenient form they happen to assume in any moment. If you're going to be an asshole then take ownership of it and be an asshole with pride, don't run from it like a punk.
    I agree, and I fully expect people to judge me in accordance with their own standards of morality. Funny thing about your typical person's sense of morality is that when I say, "hey guys, just a fair warning, I'm kinda an asshole," that person responds by saying, "but of course you aren't! If you're calling yourself an asshole you must be a good guy looking for a pick me up. Yay, we all love you." That's person is always wrong. I am kinda an asshole. I've warned all of you several times cause asshole or not, I do care about some of you and don't enjoy hurting any of you.

Anyway, I'm not trying to win over anyone's sympathies here. I feel guilty about plenty of things I've done in the past, but I own that guilt. I'm not about to let others' impressions of me define my behavior or attitude towards anyone or anything. That's kinda the point that I was just getting at here. That and the fact that I expect and indeed hope that others will do the same and not concern themselves so much with whatever I happen to think.
    Last edited by chrisalys; 02-14-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gnarlycharlie View Post
    Funny thing about your typical person's sense of morality is that when I say, "hey guys, just a fair warning, I'm kinda an asshole," that person responds, "but of course you aren't! If you're calling yourself an asshole you must be a good guy and we all like you."
    :

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    cool use of the law of inverse, Timothy.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    cool use of the law of inverse, Timothy.

haha, like the vid.