Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between Fi and Fe: Your Interpretation

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Differences between Fi and Fe: Your Interpretation

This is not an "Fi is better than Fe because..." or "Fe is better than Fi because..." thread. It's just about pegging down what makes the two functions different and unique.

How you interpret Fi or Fe

1. How do you interpret Fi? Provide examples of this in real life and how you felt when interacting with someone that was clearly utilizing Fi.

2. How do you interpret Fe? Provide examples of this in real life and how you felt when interacting with someone that was clearly utilizing Fe.

3. What does Fi ultimately seek to do? What is the purpose of this information element? How is this purpose achieved?

4. What does Fe ultimately seek to do? What is the purpose of this information element? How is this purpose achieved?

5. How can someone appeal to an Fi primary/creative? What are some things that one might say that makes an Fi primary/creative feel comfortable or appreciated? Things one should avoid saying?

6. How can someone appeal to an Fe primary/creative? What are some things that one might say that makes an Fe primary/creative feel comfortable or appreciated? Things one should avoid saying?

7. How might Fi be utilized to help someone else?

8. How might Fe be utilized to help someone else?

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe seeks engagement, collaboration, alliance.

Fi seeks honor, commitment ...

I'll get back to this later.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Fe: cynic, expect worse of people, surprised when people are caring and compassionate to someone else because they expect the worse of people
    Fi: idealist, think and expect positively of people, surprised when people behave callously
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please answer the questions I wrote above, if you have the time/desire to do so.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The distinguishing characteristic of Fi is that it's inherently better than Fe.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clumsy View Post
    Please answer the questions I wrote above, if you have the time/desire to do so.
    I will work on that sometime this week.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Information Elements are "noticed", not utilitized, that is true. They are areas of interest, not cognitive functions. However, you are taking note of an aspect of reality... and then utilitizing that awareness... so in a roundabout way you use IE. She truncated her explaination.

Anyway, information elements come into our active awareness in a compound form - the valued ring and so on, - so it would be best to discuss the IE in a compound form. That said, we should discuss Fi/Fe by quarta. That would be more precise, then draw out (distill) the essence of each accordingly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Your questions are bogus because they're predicated on the notion that one can actively "utilize" an IE.
    Would the word "demonstrate" be correct?

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi as base function: evaluate others according to one's own principles
    Fi as creative function: perceive links between people and alter them
    Fe as base function: to express oneself without restraints
    Fe as creative function: to alter the emotional state of others, to stir or to calm them
    Fi as role: to try to come across as sensitive
    Fe as role: to have a weird smile
    Fi polr: to ignore others' beliefs
    Fe polr: to ignore others' emotional state
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Fi is better than Fe because..."
    ok

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Fe is not necessarily raw emotionality, but I have noticed that Fe egos tend to be distinctly aware of the group atmosphere (whether in small group, community, etc.) and try to ensure that this group atmosphere remains positive. I have had an Fe ego tell me to mow the lawn merely for the fact that the grass at my house looked worse than the grass at other houses on the block (this is perhaps not getting into the real reason; I understand well in my mind but it is hard to put into words). Generally amiable people but if they get angry they get extremely demanding and moody, at least in my experience.
    Last edited by nil; 02-08-2012 at 06:46 PM.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    Fe is not necessarily raw emotionality, but I have noticed that Fe egos tend to be distinctly aware of the group atmosphere (whether in small group, community, etc.) and try to ensure that this group atmosphere remains positive. I have had Fe egos tell me to mow the lawn merely for the fact that the grass at my house looked worse than the grass at other houses on the block (this is perhaps not getting into the real reason; I understand well in my mind but it is hard to put into words). Generally amiable people but if they get angry they get extremely demanding and moody, at least in my experience.
    That was an Fe ego who is not PoLR Si!

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A reply from a past thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    Fi is subjective relations between objects. It filters the sentiments of repulsion and attraction in oneself and in others. When a person is questioning how much, say, they or someone else likes a person or if that person appears to like or dislike them, they're using Fi. It's typically linked as a relational element since it monitors the relational proximity between others, which allows for one to adapt to particular relations appropriately

Fe monitors the internal emotional processes that are taking place within an atmosphere or individual. It allows the ability to convey and identify the mood in oneself and others. When a person is identifying the emotional state of an individual or the general mood of the atmosphere they're within they're using Fe (i.e. "this person is sad/happy, warm/cold, grouchy/elated" etc) Fe can also enable someone to make attempts at inducing said moods in others
    I might expand on this later
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how I see Fe>Fi

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Fe: cynic, expect worse of people, surprised when people are caring and compassionate to someone else because they expect the worse of people
    Fi: idealist, think and expect positively of people, surprised when people behave callously
    Hahaha

I think maritsa got the first point.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In note format, please forgive formatting errors:
    3. What does Fi ultimately seek to do? What is the purpose of this information element? How is this purpose achieved?
    Fi, as with other elements, is one way in which we attempt to make sense of the world around us, including the world within ourselves.

Fi, like Ti, is a method of discovering and communicating perceived relationships between things, people, and events.

Fi's method utilizes perceptions of emotional and cognitive impacts that occur when relating at least one TPE to another TPE.

1. How do you interpret Fi? Provide examples of this in real life and how you felt when interacting with someone that was clearly utilizing Fi.
    Since Fi types are oriented to relational emotional/cognitive impact, their words/actions will often reflect such. This might include
    a sense of being orientated 'towards vs away from ' a TPE.
    • This might be their own orientation to a given TPE,
      And/Or their perception of a TPE's orientation to another TPE.

Related emotions
      • Like/dislike
        Fear
        Concern
        Curiosity
        Confusion
        Etc

From these orientations, we get related values.

A sense of intensity of the impact
      • Such as a range between hatred-repulsed-dislike-neutral-like-love

Fi types will often relate how one TPE reminds them of another TPE, which reminds them of another TPE.
    This chain of relationships between the TPE is based on some similarity of the emotional/cognitive impacts each TPE effected, rather than any explicit similarities. In fact, if asked for how these TPE are explicitely related to each other, the Fi type might have difficulty... (Particularly so for Fi creatives.)

Example 1
    Not quite the example you asked for, but...A real life example of my Fi in relation to your questions.
    As I try to come up with real life examples to provide, I feel overwhelmed. Why? Because there are so many, how am I to choose just one? I find it interesting that you are interested in this topic, and I appreciate the approach you are taking, as if you are trying to ground the IE into concrete specific things to look for, including samples of approaches. I find your approach refreshing. As such, I felt compelled to help your efforts by sharing with you my, personal, answers to these questions.

Example 2: Fi vs Ti
    • Fi: what i find interesting/important here is how this info affects the reader
      Ti: the effect on the reader isn't as important as the truth of the statement
      Fi: regardless of whether it is true or not, it will effect the reader in some way. The reader will orient the info based on how well the info relates to what they already believe, know, and experienced
      Ti: screw that, the reader should be oriented to the truth/falsity in things, period.
      Fi: but the reader can only judge the truth/falsity of the statement based on their previous experiences, beliefs, etc
      Ti: bullshit. The truth/falsity of the statement should be self evident, regardless of the reader's experiences/beliefs

5. How can someone appeal to an Fi primary/creative? What are some things that one might say that makes an Fi primary/creative feel comfortable or appreciated? Things one should avoid saying?
    Bring up how this TPE is related to another TPE that they have experienced (or heard/read about).

Let them know what orientation you have towards a TPE, even if it's a neutral one.

Expect that they may change their orientation to you based on what orientations you've expressed...even the neutral ones.

Remember always, that relatonships are something we do, not something we have. We relate to each other, based on similarities and differences. The more closely matched our experiences and orientations, the more we are able to relate to each other. The less matched, the less we have to relate through.
    (Please keep in mind, that there is also relating based on compatibility. Where each person covers the other person's weaknesses, thereby creating a strengthened unit.)

7. How might Fi be utilized to help someone else?
    Depends on the problem?

You can help a person sort out their orientations towards/away from aspects of a TPE. The finer you go, the more clearer of their values, but the harder to come to a decision with multiple conflicting orientations to even one TPE.

You can help them make sense of a TPE by asking them what the first TPE reminds them of, and how this remembered TPE impacted them.

Back to, It depends on the problem.

-----
    4. What does Fe ultimately seek to do? What is the purpose of this information element? How is this purpose achieved?
    Fe, as with other elements, is one way in which we attempt to make sense of the world around us, including the world within ourselves.

Fe, like Te, is a method of discovering and communicating perceived actions of things, people, and events.

Fe's method utilizes perceptions of emotional and cognitive impacts that occur when a TPE is in spatial and/or temporal motion. (changes that occur across space and/or time)

An example would be like when a white tailed deer senses danger, and flees, The sight of the flashing white tail, triggers a flight response in the neighboring deer, setting them all into motion, without them having to know specifically what the danger is.
    Put another way, the signal of the fleeing deer triggered an emotional/psychological impact in the other deer.
    Humans have similar signalling systems.

2. How do you interpret Fe? Provide examples of this in real life and how you felt when interacting with someone that was clearly utilizing Fe.
    Since Fe types are oriented to dynamic emotional/cognitive impact, their words/actions will often reflect such. This might include:
    • Mentioning moods of a person, or a group
      Recognizing the interplay between their signals and your signals
      Orienting themselves based on the signals a TPE is sending out (strong Fe also has strong unconscious Fi)
      Pointing out signals you, or another TPE, might be sending
      And maybe even what they perceive those signals/emotions to mean; Sometimes stated as if it has universal meaning

Example
    • An XiFe blind date and I were eating in a fast food restaurant, talking about I don't remember. His voice kept slowly rising in loudness and somewhat in pitch. I noticed neighboring diners giving us dirty looks, and one shaking her head. I interpreted this to mean that we were disturbing their own conversations. They didn't like that, I didn't blame them. I hand signaled him to lower his voice. I had to do this a couple of times. Suddenly, after one of those signals, he abruptly shut up, finished his food, and left. I was in a bit of shock. (relief, too, as I hadn't found anything of him yet that I could relate with)

A couple of years later, my NiFe friend and I were talking aout Fi and Fe. (he's the one that brought me to socionics, but left this forum soon after) Anyways, the gist of the conver was that he reads my signals, but my signals aren't clear, like they are slow or withheld from him. This gave him little to no feedback, so he didn't know how to adjust what he was saying, for me. He said that he would try to elevate my energy levels, by talking faster, or louder, or higher, expecting that by doing so, I would respond faster or clearer to him. But instead, my signals would get softer, more hidden, slower. So he'd try to speed them up more...which would 'slow me down' more. And then, I would do the hand signal thing, to 'calm him down', and that would piss him off! I wasn't responding to his signals, yet I was also trying to quiet his own down??? We talked through it, and sorted some of it out. But since that conver, I've often wondered if something similar was happening with that blind date guy.

One other example, In grade school, my daughter's principle was an FeXi. It was disgustingly obvious. Disgustingly as in full of the 'fakeness' that people here often associate with Fe, though Fe is not fakeness. My daughter didn't like her, and refused to come with me to an appt we had. I waited for a bit, and then the woman came out. She spoke sternly to one office worker, then did a sudden 'mood' shift to talk to a student who was waiting (the student responded well to it), then spoke with the front secretary in a hurrying/rushed tone, then turned to me, and I watched as her whole body and face shifted to that of...'make nice with the parent' mood. She led me to her office, talking a bit rushed and cheerily, made a passing joke to one of the kids...which envolved using her fingers to simulate drawing a very big smile on her face and telling the kid to be happy, or some such thing. Then she led me into her office. I wasn't really sure what to make of her. And...she didn't seem to be sure of what to make of me. I was failing to respond to a few...i dunno what to call it....mood altering attempts. I think she was trying to feel me out, to figure out what approach to take with me, and I was giving her nothing to work with. Finally she dropped all that and went straight to the point...of which I responded well too, lol. A couple of times she'd say something as if trying to get me to see her and I as being on the same team, but she quickly dropped doing that after two times of me looking at her with a deadpan face.

Ok, one more example, a little more subtle in terms of the dynamic emotional/cognitive impact. My FeSi friend has had a tumultuous relationship with her husband. (I think he might be IP temperament.) Anyways, she had certain expectations of how a husband and father should be. And this man met NONE of them! She was constantly trying to change him into meeting her image of how he should be. And he, of course, was constantly resisting, usually by withdrawing from the home for a while, until she'd beg him to come back. And as soon as she realized that he wasn't changing into her ideal man, she'd start pestering him again. This cycle had been going on for over ten years!!! Anyways, at one point, she finally had to file for divorce. She'd let him move back in...started her routine, they got into a physical altercation and she had to be removed from her own home (because she had been the one to start it). I was helping her get her home back, and her two kids back. Trying to get her to focus was Hell! Anyways...during one of the focusing attempts, where she kept going on and on about how he SHOULD be, I asked her what was he like before they had gotten married. She described pretty much the same guy. I asked her what made her think that he would change from the guy she was dating, to the husband she wanted. She told me that she assumed that once they married, that he would WANT to change into being a husband who blah blah blah. I asked her, what made you think he wanted to do blah blah blah. She said...because he wanted to marry. How is this related to Fe? Because in her case, she's referring to the emotional/psychological impact on him of the dynamic changes occuring...that of getting married, and how surely he would WANT to adapt to the new dynamics and their resulting emotional/cognitive impacts on him. Since he wasn't adapting himself, she was trying to 'encourage' the emotional/cognitive impacts she expected him to have.

6. How can someone appeal to an Fe primary/creative? What are some things that one might say that makes an Fe primary/creative feel comfortable or appreciated? Things one should avoid saying?
    • Well, first I would suggest keeping in mind that, whether you intend to or not, you are constantly sending out signals. Accept that, don't fight it. Especially don't try to hide it. When you try to hide it, you wind up sending conflicting or mixed messages. And Fe WILL pick up on this...often resulting in lack of trust. After all...what are you trying to hide...and WHY are you trying to hide it?? Very suspiscious of you! (particularly to Fe creatives) Just don't hide it. Let it all come out naturally.

Second, I would remind you that what you do, and how you do it is going to influence Fe emotionally and psychologically. Particularly Fe base. They have every right to block those impacts, or try to change them. It's not them being fake. It's them influencing their own emotional/psychological impacts. Just as if you have a thorn in your finger, causing you pain...you have the right to pull it out, to try to stop the pain... So does Fe have the right to try to stop whatever negative impact you are triggering in them, and/or turn it into a more positive impact for them.

Fe doesn't particularly care about your orientation to a topic, they don't much care about your claimed intent. They care very much about the actual impact you are having on them...or someone/thing else. That is what matters most. Oh, but don't think that intent doesn't matter at all to them. Based on the e/c impact, they will perceive an intent. Whether or not you agree, disagree, claim, or deny that was your intent...your actions spoke otherwise. This is particularly true of XiFe...who take the time to observe the dynamic interactions going on, before they influence it in some way, into a direction they deem it should go. Obviously...everyone does that, right? So if you've influenced something that was happening, it's assumed that you ALSO observed it all and chose to influence it at that time, in that way. As for correcting the erred interpretations? Good luck. It takes a huge amount of back and forth discussions to clear it up...both parties have to be willing to sort it out, not just one wanting to be heard.

Think of sign language, which utilizes Fe extensively. Watch a show or video of ASL, with subtitles. Notice how much of the information comes from the combination of both language sign AND the bodily/facial signals. That without those other signals, the 'reader' would only get bits of pieces, and little context to place it all in.

8. How might Fe be utilized to help someone else?
    Many therapeutic techniques have been based off the idea that you can alter your mood by altering your thoughts...as well as your behavior. That if you look in the mirror, see yourself smiling, smile throughout the day, think happy/good/useful thoughts...then your mood will adjust to match the behavior and thoughts.

And vice versa, that if you take this pill, or exercise hard enough, your mood will elevate, and you'll have elevated thoughts/behavior.
    Other techniques include altering who you hang out with, as the actons and words of those people will influence you emotionally and cognitively. Do they trigger stress in you? Or do they relax you? Do they inspire you? Or bring you down?

Pay attention to what actions you are doing...and the e/c impact they are having on yourself...and those around you. Is this the impact you want/intend? If not, how might you create that desired impact? (notice a link with Fi? Fi is not the focus, but it's still a part of Fe, and vice versa)

-----

For both Fe and Fi
    • Be aware of the emotional and cognitive impacts your words and actions might have on the person. To have a clue on this, you'd have to know them, personally. Else it's hit and miss.

You would also do best if you have a clue as to what emotional/cognitive impact you are going for.

For any particular person, you would learn what words/actions/TPE trigger a positive impact for them. Which ones a negative impact. And which ones might create the impact you are intending.

Often, the mere process of getting to know what impacts them emotionally/psychologically helps them feel comfortable and/or appreciated.

Also, expressing similar sentiments (via words/actions/signals), believably, will help them feel more comfortable around you.

But be warned, not every F type likes to explicitely discuss these things, particular the more personal/emotional stuff. Introverted F types will usually feel awkward or embarrassed at such blatant attempts to get too personal.

One way of looking at this warning, is to remember that often, emotional/cognitive impacts are felt so deeply, that exposing them would be akin to exposing your/their self. People have a history of judging, rejecting, criticizing, and manipulating perceived weaknesses in others. Exposing your/their emotions also exposes your/their weaknesses, and how you/they can be manipulated. As such, expressing these things can be a dangerous thing.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe is like Maritsa.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Fe is like Maritsa.
    Wtf, man...

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ann, you are awesome.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Fi types will often relate how one TPE reminds them of another TPE, which reminds them of another TPE.
    This chain of relationships between the TPE is based on some similarity of the emotional/cognitive impacts each TPE effected, rather than any explicit similarities. In fact, if asked for how these TPE are explicitely related to each other, the Fi type might have difficulty... (Particularly so for Fi creatives.)
    What is "TPE"?
    -

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is "TPE"?
    TPE is a shortened form of "things, people, and events".
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

TPE is a shortened form of "things, people, and events".
    I, as a base Fi, do have a difficulty describing how things are related, as you have described mostly because I'm still extracting my own feelings or my own interpretation of the object at hand; I don't objectify objects so I'm not in constant practice of looking at their features and saying "you are like me in that way or you are like my mother in that way."
    -

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, as a base Fi, do have a difficulty describing how things are related, as you have described
    In my view, describing explicitely how things are related to other things would be related to Ti.

mostly because I'm still extracting my own feelings or my own interpretation of the object at hand;
    In this case, you are one of the TPE.
    So there is the object, then there is you, and then there is the emotional/cognitive impact upon you. This is the relationship between you and the object.

I don't objectify objects so I'm not in constant practice of looking at their features and saying "you are like me in that way or you are like my mother in that way."
    I don't know what you mean by "objectify objects", so I cannot comment on any possible misunderstandings there.

What you are describing with the last part, though, seems to be off from what I am describing.
    In that, what I'm describing is that Fi would pay attention to the emotional/cognitive impacts which occur when relating the two or more TPE. In your example, you are one TPE, 'I' am another TPE, and your mother is another TPE. When you interact with me, in whatever way, your Fi would pay attention to the emotional/cognitive impacts you would feel. Then your brain would bring up some kind of reminder of another TPE which you felt the same way about...or, a reminder of a TPE which is completely different from me...such as an ideal which I don't match up to.

It is through these emotional/cognitive relationships that Fi types primarily 'feel' their way around.

Ok, maybe I understand now the last part of your post.
    Right, in that an Fi type would have difficulty saying in what way 'I' had reminded you of your mother, or in what way 'I' was completely different from your ideal. The feelings would be there, the relationship in the Fi's mind would be there, but to make it explicit would require stepping into Ti territory.
    Is this what you were referring to?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The forum tends to give too little potency to Ni and Fe

Fe = (signal, stimulus, vibration, succor, reception, signature, allure, attraction, charm, profit, influence, agreement, alliance, endorsement, promotion, advantage, campaign, and countersignature.)

This is the sound of Fe/Ti in its most pure form:

(This song is awesome when it hits 3:33)
    Last edited by Saberstorm; 02-11-2012 at 08:09 AM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    I like your descriptions ann, although they're really pro-Fi and anti-Fe (for obvious reasons)
    I am sorry if my descriptions came out that way.
    I was trying to balance them both with the common stereotypes/descriptions.

Such as Fi being about judging good vs evil. Common thoughts are that Fi is useless and certainly can't be involved when making sense of anything beyond that. These descriptions sell Fi short.

For Fe, there's been a lot claims that Fe is fakeness and manipulative. So I tried to show how Fe is NOT those things.

I apologize if my descriptions came out pro/anti anything.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Is this what you were referring to?
    Yes, because Fi is a feeling which words and thoughts are not easy to convey; to think and express something in words requires thoughts; since Fi base naturally has weaker Ti but it's still there, their thoughts may not be easily and fully expressed, but their feelings are still there; by saying that I don't objectify my mother, as an example, what I'm saying is that I don't find FACTS about her that characterize her and facts about others and compare those facts in the external sense; a natural inclination to "idealize" a person, make judgments about them and others based on preexisting Fi values creates a feeling attitude about these persons and things and when a feeling attitude is created, it naturally devalues thinking attitude as a consequence, this is why Fi types can either do Fi or Ti at a single time, interchangeably and not together (Ti is the Role type of Fi base).
    -

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is "TPE"?
    Short for type.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Short for type.
    No
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    No, you have nothing to apologise for. It was mainly your real life examples of Fe-egos which were on the negative side, which is kind of expected - most people would remember unpleasant real life examples of their unvalued elements which highlight clashes in perception over pleasant ones, or examples where Fe and Fi led to different results, rather than when they took different paths to reach a result which both sides wanted. The unnatural sticks out a lot more than what's natural.
    Negativity bias

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"1. How do you interpret Fi? Provide examples of this in real life and how you felt when interacting with someone that was clearly utilizing Fi."

They will preach about their own subjective interests without connecting it to a whole and without caring about how it makes other people feel. They think that would be 'fake' or something. It's not that they lack empathy, they just are gung-ho about personal expression.

"2. How do you interpret Fe? Provide examples of this in real life and how you felt when interacting with someone that was clearly utilizing Fe."

They will preach that everybody should get along and love each other and find common ground when it's clear that people would rather fight and hate. If the Fi-valuer doesn't listen, the Fe person will then narcissistically exploit all their psychological flaws in a work of Family Guy-ish art. Which infuriates the Fi-valuer and the cycle continues.

3. "What does Fi ultimately seek to do? What is the purpose of this information element? How is this purpose achieved?"

It doesn't seek to do anything. It just is. It's about a relationship/field...it is essentially the function of personal preference. Like and dislike, hatred or love. Remember, IEIs are good at Fi - but we just don't value it as much as Fe. IEIs know how to use Fi pretty well.

4. "What does Fe ultimately seek to do? What is the purpose of this information element? How is this purpose achieved?"

Fe seeks to achieve a harmony/rhythm/emotional balance between objects. It's naturally more diplomatic as opposed to "I hate ms. klein's chin because it's so fat." or "I love nick browning because he's the only person who understands my love of cheesy soap opera novels."

"5. How can someone appeal to an Fi primary/creative? What are some things that one might say that makes an Fi primary/creative feel comfortable or appreciated? Things one should avoid saying?"

You can't take emotional or personal offense to their snobbery which is difficult at times. Basically the trick seems to be add cool, rational logical advice to all their emotional outbursts. They're looking for somebody to sort of smile with them while they prick somebody apart. Don't tell them to back off of other people unless it's *really* getting out of hand. I don't mean to make Fi-valuers sound like rude cunts, but it's something that is naturally annoying to a Fe valuer...

"6. How can someone appeal to an Fe primary/creative? What are some things that one might say that makes an Fe primary/creative feel comfortable or appreciated? Things one should avoid saying?"

Talk about how the people were in an objective-ish way. "Wow, I was really surprised at how nice everybody was at comic con this year!" Instead of pointing out something incredibly specific that you liked or disliked. You can even say "Whoa I hated the carnival this year. The people were so boring and rude." Avoid using specific, precise comments about what you like/love in others. It makes a Fe valuer think you're being unnecessarily rude for no good reason.

7. "How might Fi be utilized to help someone else?" By showing people that they need to understand that not everybody is one big happy family. You need to make choices and distinctions of where you value your time & energy.

8. "How might Fe be utilized to help someone else?" People need to understand that not everybody is out to get you, and you don't need to attack others with your opinions/viewpoints/arguements. The quickest way to get somebody to like you is to be nice yourself, no matter how 'fake' that may feel to you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for answering the questions, BulletsAndDoves.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi: sentimental
    Fe: passionate

this will probably be called wrong but it sort of registers this way in my mind.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    Fi: sentimental
    Fe: passionate

this will probably be called wrong but it sort of registers this way in my mind.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you make a persuasive argument.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed that Fi users tend to be vague (I'm speaking more about EII's), while Fe users tend to almost always describe things with a lot of detail.

Do Fi/Ne types find the amount of detail Fe users tend to give (when describing situations or issues) unnecessary? How is this interpreted by the Fi/Ne valuer?

I often feel as though it's difficult for me to help my Fi/Ne valuing friends when they don't give me more information on what is going on. Do Fi/Ne valuers leave out details because they want me to question them more? Or is this just more how Fi mixed with Ne functions?

This brings me to my next question. Sometimes when I ask Fi/Ne valuers to clarify things that they mean, to try to show that I want to know what is going on and care about them, they seem to not like it.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what would an Fi/Ne user want me to do? What can I actually do to help them that will be useful to them?

Is it preferable to not ask questions and just stay away unless they come to you directly? (Because it seems that in particular, Delta Fi's are very independent as well... they may not come to talk to you about something at all unless you approach them.)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

[B]This is not an "Fi is better than Fe because..." or "Fe is better than Fi because..." thread. It's just about pegging down what makes the two
    Still working on it
    -

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed that Fi users tend to be vague (I'm speaking more about EII's), while Fe users tend to almost always describe things with a lot of detail.

Do Fi/Ne types find the amount of detail Fe users tend to give (when describing situations or issues) unnecessary? How is this interpreted by the Fi/Ne valuer?

I often feel as though it's difficult for me to help my Fi/Ne valuing friends when they don't give me more information on what is going on. Do Fi/Ne valuers leave out details because they want me to question them more? Or is this just more how Fi mixed with Ne functions?

This brings me to my next question. Sometimes when I ask Fi/Ne valuers to clarify things that they mean, to try to show that I want to know what is going on and care about them, they seem to not like it.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what would an Fi/Ne user want me to do? What can I actually do to help them that will be useful to them?

Is it preferable to not ask questions and just stay away unless they come to you directly? (Because it seems that in particular, Delta Fi's are very independent as well... they may not come to talk to you about something at all unless you approach them.)
    Bump. Any input on this from anyone?

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, well....I find that I'm just not good at explaining things, personally. I do tend to be very vague, and I get bored when people go on and on about the details of a situation when the general situation is what is important.
    I may not be specific because I find that it's not important. I am only specific enough to describe the time in relation to other events...to give a general gist of the situation in how it affects other things that have happened since then, or something...and the actual situation. But I never get too detailed. I wish I could tell you why I am not specific though. :/

I do get sorta..bored..when people go on an on about the details if they are unimportant.
    I don't mind being asked to clarify, but I will often not be sure what else to include...if that makes sense.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast