Thread: John Kennedy Toole

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default John Kennedy Toole

Last edited by pinkcanary; 06-10-2017 at 02:13 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

SLE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've never read his book but looking through the quotes I'd say Si-valuing process type, so SEI would be my guess.

Some of these quotes sound IP temperament + sensing:

"I do admire the terror which Negroes are able to inspire in the hearts of some members of the white proletariat and only wish (This is a rather personal confession.) that I possessed the ability to similarly terrorize. The Negro terrorizes simply by being himself; I however, must browbeat a bit in order to achieve the same end. Perhaps I should have been a Negro. I suspect that I would have been a rather large and terrifying one, continually pressing my ample thigh against the withered thighs of old white ladies in public conveyances a great deal and eliciting more than one shriek of panic. Then, too, if I were a Negro, I would not be pressured by my mother to find a good job, for no good jobs would be available."

"My mother is currently associating with some undesirables who are attempting to transform her into an athlete of sorts, deprave specimens of mankind who regularly bowl their way to oblivion."

"This liberal doxy must be impaled upon the member of a particularly large stallion."

"You can always tell employees of the government by the total vacancy which occupies the space where most other people have faces."

"I avoid that bleak first hour of the working day during which my still sluggish senses and body make ever chore a penance. I find that in arriving later, the work which I do perform is of a much higher quality."

"My mother's cataclysmic intemperance has thrust me into the world in the most cavalier manner; my system is still in a state of flux. Therefore, I am still in the process of adapting myself to the tension of the working world."

"I have sought escape in the Prytania on more than one occasion, pulled by the attractions of some technicolored horrors, filmed abortions that were offenses against any criteria of taste and decency, reels and reels of perversion and blasphemy that stunned my disbelieving eyes, the shocked my virginal mind, and sealed my valve."

"However, various small bones and ligaments are beginning to wave a white flag of surrender. My physical apparati seem to be preparing to announce a truce of some sort. My digestive system has almost ceased functioning altogether. Some tissue has perhaps grown over my pyloric valve, sealing it forever."

"Like a bitch in heat, I seem to attract a coterie of policemen and sanitation officials."

"She's out somewhere failing her blood test at the moment."

"My respiratory system, unfortunately, is below par. I suspect that I am the result of particularly weak conception on the part of my father. His sperm was probably emitted in a rather offhand manner."

"… your type isn't even in the psychology books."

"Mother, I must attend to my bowels. They are revolting against the trauma of the last twenty-four hours."

"Fortuna had relented. She was not depraved enough to end this vicious cycle by throttling him in a straitjacket, by sealing him up in a cement block tomb lighted by florescent tubes. Fortuna wished to make amends. Somehow she had summoned and flushed Myrna minx from a subway tube, from some picket line, for the pungent bed of some Eurasian existentialist, from the hands of some epileptic Negro Buddhist, from the verbose midst of a group therapy session."

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkcanary View Post
    He was a writer.
    In that case Ni-INFp.

TIM
    ILE-Ne SX/SP 5w6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Confederacy of Dunces is my favourite novel of all time and is absolutely HILARIOUS! Definitely Ti-Fe, and I feel as though he was a So/Sx. His novel essentially reads as a reality television show literally decades before they originated. He also makes fun of the "neckbeard" mentality decades before the term became commonplace. A complete geniusin my opinion. ILE/SLE makes the most sense (Irrational plus strong Ti).

I think that Ignatius is an IEE, but I do not think he is Toole himself inherently. Rather, I think that he was something that Toole recognized within himself but rejected. I think that it is a Ti-Ego making fun of Weak Ti + Valued Te is such a genius way. I think that he is an ILE making fun of the world, Delta Quadra in particular. SLE would make sense as well.
    Last edited by mightylizard; 05-20-2020 at 09:32 PM.