TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Michel de Montaigne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_de_Montaigne

Wherever your life ends, it is all there. The advantage of living is not measured by length, but by use; some men have lived long, and lived little; attend to it while you are in it. It lies in your will, not in the number of years, for you to have lived enough.

Obsession is the wellspring of genius and madness.

Everyone calls barbarity what he is not accustomed to.

If you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved

When I play with my cat, how do I know that she is not playing with me rather than I with her?

Life in itself is neither good nor evil, it is the place of good and evil, according to what you make it.

The continuous work of our life is to build death.

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because it was he, because it was I.

Kings and philosophers defecate, and so do ladies.

I enter into discussion and argument with great freedom and ease, inasmuch as opinion finds me in a bad soil to penetrate and take deep root in. No propositions astonish me, no belief offends me, whatever contrast it offers to my own. There is no fancy so frivolous and so extravagant that it does not seem to me quite suitable to the production of the human mind.

Our religion is made to eradicate vices, instead it encourages them, covers them, and nurtures them.

Human understanding is marvellously enlightened by daily conversation with men, for we are, otherwise, compressed and heaped up in ourselves, and have our sight limited to the length of our own noses.

Not being able to govern events, I govern myself.

The clatter of arms drowns the voice of law.

No matter that we may mount on stilts, we still must walk on our own legs. And on the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.

Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known."

Man cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen.

I have gathered a garland of other men’s flowers, and nothing is mine but the cord that binds them.

No man is a hero to his own valet.

The only thing certain is nothing is certain.

The greater part of the world's troubles are due to questions of grammar.

Whether the events in our life are good or bad greatly depends on the way we perceive them.

I believe it to be true that dreams are the true interpreters of our inclinations; but there is art required to sort and understand them.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice find, looks pretty Ne-ish and not very Ti. INFj? oh sorry, nevermind, you don't like typings.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb in his recent popular work The Black Swan quotes Montaigne as his great influence.
    i was wondering why this sounded familiar till i read this.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

lol don't be an ass I like typings cuz they tell me what people are thinking and where they're coming from, I just don't like it when people talk like they are real.

I just came across Montaigne today when he was brought up in conversation and he seems really interesting. I like the quotes. wanna flesh out the infj thing at all?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his skepticism toward any knowledge and unwillingness to have firm opinions on factual things seems like ethics. he drives the principle further than even most gamma NT (Hume) or alpha NT (descartes) skeptics would do. also the sense of humility from some of the statements points to NF temperament and introversion, probably also beta NFs since those can be pretty boasty.

i also don't sense all that much cynicism from him despite the skepticism. it seems milder than that of INxp types somehow. it seems like he sees skepticism as something playful rather than as a means by which opposing views are confronted. i don't sense him trying to challenge anyone with his writings, even if that probably ended up the result ex-post. it's more mellow than intentional offensiveness.

He writes about his disgust with the religious conflicts of his time
    motivated by repulse from conflict, not the other way around.

Montaigne's attempt to examine the world through the lens of the only thing he can depend on implicitly—his own judgment
    judgement itself, not observation or evidence, is the standard of truth. that's IxxJ right there.

In 1571, he retired from public life to the Tower of the Château, his so-called "citadel", in the Dordogne, where he almost totally isolated himself from every social and family affair. Locked up in his library, which contained a collection of some 1,500 works, he began work on his Essais ("Essays"), first published in 1580. On the day of his 38th birthday, as he entered this almost ten-year period of self-imposed reclusion, he had the following inscription crown the bookshelves of his working chamber.
    not directly indicative of anything, but it helps to be introverted when undertaking something like this.

During this time of the Wars of Religion in France, Montaigne, himself a Roman Catholic, acted as a moderating force
    While in the city of Lucca in 1581, he learned that he had been elected mayor of Bordeaux; he returned and served as mayor. He was reelected in 1583 and served until 1585, again moderating between Catholics and Protestants.
    good diplomacy skills. INFj trademark.

Montaigne considered marriage necessary for the raising of children, but disliked strong feelings of passionate love because he saw them as detrimental to freedom.
    could be interpreted as devalued Fe.

In a prearranged marriage, Montaigne married Françoise de la Cassaigne. He did not marry her under his own free will and was pressured by family to do so
    this is so ad hoc i'm embarrassed to say it, but: Se-PoLR

i hope that doesn't make the typing sound even more dogmatic, but yeah, see if it helps.