Thread: Birth control leads to higher divorce rates

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Birth control leads to higher divorce rates.

If you met your partner while on birth control chances are your relationship will end once she's done taking it.

Good luck!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because birth control screws up women's hormones.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it probably had something to do with the risk factor. People are more likely to mess around if there's no kid involved.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you specifically mean pills/other hormonal stuff? Or contraception in general?
    All the good are friends of one another. (Zeno of Citium)
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Quitter - Diaspora*

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Women are more likely to seek men with scents that reflect gene markers similar to their own when on the pill, and scents that reflect different genetics when not on the pill. There's also a difference between the scents women are attracted to during menstruation and mid-cycle. The divorce bit is conjecture extrapolated from these scent study results afaik. Google yay.

I think they drastically underestimate the impact of changes in societal attitudes to marriage and divorce since the pill was introduced. Biologists *shrugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard about the scent thing, but really, women on the pill are the only ones seeking...

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link? People who posted before do bring up valid points, but correlation =/= causation.

Creepy-Snaps

I remember reading the article about the scents before too.

Keep in mind, if you meet your partner, and are physically attracted naturally, when the woman is on birth control, neither partner may find each other as attractive. But don't worry, it's only a temporary thing.

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    Link? People who posted before do bring up valid points, but correlation =/= causation.
    Papers (sorry for the ugly, I cbb cleaning)

Thornhill, Randy; Gangestad, Steven W.; Miller, Robert; Scheyd, Glenn; McCollough, Julie K.; Franklin, Melissa (2003). "Major histocompatibility complex genes, symmetry, and body scent attractiveness in men and women". Behavioral Ecology 14: 668–678.

Wedekind C, Füri S, 1997. Body odor preference in men and women: do they aim for specific MHC combinations or simply heterozygosity? Proc R Soc Lond B 264: 1471-1479.

S. Craig Roberts, L. Morris Gosling, Vaughan Carter, and Marion Petrie
    MHC-correlated odour preferences in humans and the use of oral contraceptives Proc. R. Soc. B December 7, 2008 275:2715-2722

Wedekind C, Seebeck T, Bettens F, Paepke AJ, 1995. MHC-dependent mate preferences in humans. Proc R Soc Lond B 260: 245-249.

Conjecture

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...t-womens-taste

http://rachelrabbitwhite.com/the-div...r-doesnt-know/

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@octo Thank you for the fantastic citations, especially the Behavioral Ecology one. Journal articles make me damp.

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    @octo Thank you for the fantastic citations, especially the Behavioral Ecology one. Journal articles make me damp.
    Emission accomplished!

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excess estrogens make you cranky and depressed...Not to mention no sex drive.

So you can see how this all adds up to a divorce.
    Last edited by Leader; 02-02-2012 at 06:59 AM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

i really hate hormonal birth control. i still have used it because its the best option for worry-free sex but it sucks. people have all kinds of things to say about other pills like psychiatric meds and how they fuck with you but sooo many people take hormonal birth control and nobody blinks an eye about it even though what it does to you is pretty drastic. i think its kind of ironic how the pill makes you gain weight and messes with your pheremones and lowers your libido and basically makes you less attractive and sexual so that you can have more sex.

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

The only good thing about birth control is that it makes your boobs noticeably bigger. Come to think of it, I remembered seriously questioning my relationship once I got on BC (though I think that had more to do with other things )

Honestly, I think people underestimate the pull out method ... as long as you know you can trust your partner.

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    The only good thing about birth control is that it makes your boobs noticeably bigger.
    That's a big one. Also it slows down endometriosis and polycystic ovarian disease, helps with pelvic inflammatory disease, reduces risk of ovarian and endometrial cancers, reduces cramps, can reduce PMS mood swings (or exacerbate them depending on formulation) and clears up skin. I think the first few benefits are often overlooked, even though I've had friends prescribed the pill for those reasons. Risk of endometriosis is one of the main reasons I stay on the pill despite the often-crappy side effects.

Honestly, I think people underestimate the pull out method ... as long as you know you can trust your partner.
    I'm not too keen on the satisfaction aspect myself, but I think it's a personal choice. Also, many people overlook the effectiveness of the rhythm method (keeping track of temperature etc). Since you're only at risk of pregnancy about half the time, pulling out often isn't necessary, although it may be a good habit to keep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_awareness

My Catholic mother stayed baby-free for 6 and 5 years on the rhythm method, but she's a nurse so she was very good at taking her temperature...

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm struggling to see why people have the need to get married.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has HYR been banned yet?

Creepy-Snaps

Hey! I was thinking about this topic some while at work, and I had an idea. With all the studies linked above, about scents linking attraction... they talk about the test subjects being UNBIASED by not using any scented deodorant or aftershave... !!! wouldn't this mean that people who wear heavy colognes and perfumes are more likely to have a divorce??? That would make sense in theory, right? If you meet your partner while they're wearing a certain scent, you might not naturally be attracted to them, as the scent wears off. Have there been any studies on that? That would probably apply as well.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Hey! I was thinking about this topic some while at work, and I had an idea. With all the studies linked above, about scents linking attraction... they talk about the test subjects being UNBIASED by not using any scented deodorant or aftershave... !!! wouldn't this mean that people who wear heavy colognes and perfumes are more likely to have a divorce??? That would make sense in theory, right? If you meet your partner while they're wearing a certain scent, you might not naturally be attracted to them, as the scent wears off. Have there been any studies on that? That would probably apply as well.
    Stick with math.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Unless your spouse is constantly spraying themselves with scent I think you'd notice you were
    unattracted to them before you got married.