Thread: Question for Alphas: are you a hoarder?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Question for Alphas: are you a hoarder?

????
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am both Asian and Alpha, and a hoarder.

I also dislike throwing things away because I think about the waste of the materials and the energy.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not an asian, but I am a hoarder! I have all kinds of knick-knacks laying around. Some because they might be useful (you never know when you'll need an extra shoelace!), some because I thought they looked interesting (glass dragonfly, sporknife, etc), and some because of sentimental issues (deer calcaneus a friend of mine gave me before I left, a rock someone gave me, etc.) What takes up most of my space, though, is books. Whenever I get interested in a subject, I read all I can about it and find a few books on it. I have shelves and shelves in boxes at the moment since I'm away. I've been trying to cut back since I have to move or sell whatever I buy back across the ocean, but I have still built up a mini collection just because I'll buy a book for an essay to convince myself it's worth it.

Also, my alpha bf has the most cluttered room. It could be just because he used to be married and had an entire house for all his belongings and now only has a bedroom, but either way he has a lot of stuff. Statuettes, books, drawings, art supplies, etc. His room is clean (as in not trashy), but very cluttered. Personally, I like a bit of clutter because it makes a place feel more home-y.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing I wouldn't fantasize about losing. If I ever get too attached to something, part of me wants to get rid of it, this also inludes friends sometimes. My material possessions are very few and very expendable. I love giving stuff away.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Creepy-bg

besides the empty soda cans, I have drawers of stuff, i take years to throw away electronics or cords (actually i don't throw them away unless they don't work, I still have sound cards from 10 years ago filed under "just in case" in my head.

I feel wasteful not keeping containers because there's always could be stuff that could go in there.

I get compulsive magic thoughts about bits of metal and yes, shiney things, when i'm out taking walks. I see some cool chunk of metal laying there and the thought that i'm meant to pick it up starts nagging at me. if i don't pick it up then, i most likely will within a few days as i walk past it and find myself drawn to it more each time. eventually it goes in a drawer somewhere in my room.

other stuff, memory laden stuff, has never lasted in my life. so i actually only have a small box of notes and drawings and stuff. this bothers me, since i'd give almost anything to be able to look through my life that way.

^sorry stoned. i'll come back and make this coherent later

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hoard but i don't do it for sentimental reasons, more like just time saving and not being bothered by a bit of clutter. when i throw stuff away, i do so in bulk.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

nope, I hate clutters and disorder...

Any clutter I have is generally boxes for electronics I haven't tossed yet.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a compulsive de-clutterer much to ESE mums annoyance, she likes to hang on to things "just in case" she might need/ give to someone someday. LSE grandma is the same fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    nope, I hate clutters and disorder...

Any clutter I have is generally boxes for electronics I haven't tossed yet.
    I know an ILE-Ne who brings his electical gadgets/ tools everywhere with him. EVERYWHERE.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

My SiFe mom hoards a good bit.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My SEI brother is a hoarder. He even saves wrappers that he likes the shape of. If you want him to freak, threaten to clean off his desk. This can be handy at times, though, like when the church wanted paper towel tubes for a project and Squishy happened to have a bag full in his bedroom.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My SiFe mom hoards books.
    And my TiSe dad would prefer not to build any more book shelves.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-bg

I love the feeling of bookshelves... and cluttered knick knacks

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ILE guy is such a hoarder. He holds on to all sorts of random odds and ends, claiming he's going to use them for projects later, especially random electronics parts. The worst is his collection of nearly-empty deodorant bottles; he claims he is going to consolidate the leftover gel from each into a new stick. Yeahhhhh... -_-

I have no trouble throwing stuff away or donating it, but I do like to keep a few knick-knacks around for sentimental value or just because they look cute or pretty in my room.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume you mean that hoarding is different than not taking out the trash...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Never hoarded things and I'm not Alpha. Crap doesn't have any value to me.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't own enough things to be a hoarder...

Among my current possessions, however, are dried flowers, carved birds, a cactus I overfed and is rotting from the inside ( it has already lost an arm... ), a old bird's nest with two perfectly intact robin's egg shells, a broken violin, nice watercolors I don't use, lots of twine, artists' wire, a piece of quartz that an old mentor gave me (she claimed that it's scientifically proven that when light passes through quartz it makes special vibrations in the room that makes you happier), a weird korean painted mask thing, various soft fluffy things, an overabundance of blankets with nice prints, postcards made by letterpress, and a lot of clothes.

...the books are also starting to get out of hand.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have known a few hoarders and all of them happened to be Alpha. It seems that all of them hoard for nearly the same reason: they feel that they might need these things in future, so they keep them just in case they come on handy next time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always used to hang on to "knick-knacks" as other folks have previously called them... but for the most part I try to keep as little "stuff" around as I can. More because I have a loft-style place with no real storage options other than a few cupboards and drawers in my kitchen and a few boxes under my stairs. When I moved in, I decided that I could get rid of a lot of stuff I didn't need and I pretty much took a few loads of stuff to Goodwill. So now I don't have anything around my house that I don't need. This makes it easier to keep clean and I never feel cluttered. It's nice.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if I'm Alpha, but I will describe my habits. I'm not particularly attached to things, but I hate to throw away gifts. I feel like I am not appreciating the person who bought me the gift... it's like I'm saying to them, "Sorry, I have no use for your gift." Which is terrible D:
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sentiments + potential = throw away crap to make room for my new office?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I understand that once someone realizes a patter of their behavior, they can make a change around and not hoard; I'm not judging hoarding as either "good" or "bad"; it is what it is, but I want to understand, from those who do or have hoarded, why did you do it?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to keep treasured memories? I don't hoard as much as I used to as a kid. I remember not wanting to give up anything and having a hard time with sharing with other kids - especially things that have a personal value. Now the things that stay with me are my clothes and bookmarks.

Creepy-bg

clutter makes me feel safe and comfortable, also I'm depressed/lazy and don't clean very often, but the reason that I collect things or don't throw them away is that they might have some use to them someday or because I see the items as artistic or evocative in some sense (although usually this isn't about memories). I'm not a horrible hoarder right now, but I could very easily see myself becoming one.
    Last edited by bg; 02-04-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Creepy-bg

as far as why... besides being alpha I've had some fires in my life that destroyed all my mementos up to that point. i think that screwed me up on some subconscious level. also, throwing away stuff feels like losing part of my life.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bionicgerbil View Post
    as far as why... besides being alpha I've had some fires in my life that destroyed all my mementos up to that point. i think that screwed me up on some subconscious level. also, throwing away stuff feels like losing part of my life.
    awww

That's really hard. I can see myself being traumatized by something like that and wanting to hold onto things, especially if some of them reminded me of the people I love.
    -

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Last edited by pinkcanary; 06-10-2017 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes