Thread: It's been a while What's my type again?

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It's been a while. What's my type again?

Hi everyone. So I've been trying to figure out my type for a year now, and apparently I have no idea who I am? I've essentially been all over the socion, and somehow I can't convince myself that I fit any of the types. I keep thinking, "how hard can this really be?" Then I half-heartedly pick a type, and change my mind again in a while. I'm really shy, so I find it hard to analyze how I come across to others, and or how I interact with them.

Yet again, I ask for your opinions. One thing that I'm fairly confident of, and forth what it's worth have been pretty confident of for most of the year I've known about socionics, is that I'm IP temperament. In case you're curious, I've also been typed Fi and Fe bases, and considered those for a bit, but they don't fit me. So I'd be interested to know what quadra you think I am.

I realize a lot of you don't know me very well because I rarely talk on the forums, but for those of you who aren't sick of typing me yet, have at it. I'm happy to answer questions, obviously. I'm also interested in VI opinions, but I felt sort of uncomfortable having the photos posted on the thread. There is an album in my user profile with a few old photos of me, but they are all posed (senior portraits) and probably useless for getting insights to my personality. I tried to add more, but the photo uploader wasn't working for me. I keep thinking about making a video, but I don't know what to do or say in it, so it will probably never happen.

I've read up on socionics and still suck at typing myself, so I feel like I'm not going to be able to give a useful description of myself. I've tried in the past, but looking back, they are always misleading somehow.

Here are some simple facts about myself for those of you that have no clue who I am: I'm am a female college freshman studying computer science, I'm a font nerd, I like cats, and of course, taking long walks on the beautiful beaches of Kansas.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Have you tried taking any socionics tests or even MBTI tests to get a decent understanding of yourself? Have you read any of the descriptions in detail including the subtype descriptions? You need to give more information though if you want to be typed as those two lines you wrote are simply not enough.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the omega quadra!

I have read all of the descriptions, and I've taken a lot of tests, but I don't really feel like one description describes me much better than all the others. When I take tests, I can tell which answers will lead to which types, so it's a useless activity.

Here's a quick questionnaire that I've filled out to the best of my ability. Hopefully this will help a little bit?

1. How would your friends describe you? What would they never say about your personality?
    I'm usually very shy and quiet unless you get to know me, and then I come out with eccentricities. I don't really care about being weird as hell in front of other people if I know them well. I think they could all say that I'm a loyal friend, someone they could come to. I tend to be a secret boiling pot of emotions for the people that don't know me as well because I seem rather calm and emotionless most of the time. I'm dependable, except I don't always text people back and I'm usually late to everything, but if I need to do something for someone else I will. I have been told that I can calm people that are stressed, but I have also been told that I am really prone to stress.

I doubt anyone would ever say that I'm arrogant. They would never say I'm an classic example of an extrovert. like I said, very reserved and quiet, especially at first and especially amongst large groups of people. similarly, I'm not assertive unless absolutely necessary, and I'm not that fun to walk all over anyway so it never happens. Generally, I let the little things slide and am fairly non-confrontational.

2. What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life? What sorts of activities and tasks would you rather dismiss and not get involved in?I'm not really sure that there are any particular activities that I've noticed myself completely avoiding, however I tend to focus on the things that I enjoy and neglect the rest, despite if it looks bad or whatever. I like to devote all my time to a few things. I could say that I hate athletics, and ignore those, but that's ntr. I know I mention leadership elsewhere in these questions, and though I've made my attempts at it, I don't really want any large scale leadership ever again. While I take direction well, I prefer not to be in charge of anything important or for long periods of time. However, I'm not incapable of taking charge. If I feel like someone needs to give direction or lead a group, I will do it. Like a group project in school or something.

3. How do you act when you're stressed out?
    If the stress is related to a short term task, I get kind of hyperfocused and shut out other people. For a long term bad situation, such as overworking myself or being in a miserable situation, I might develop a temporary eating or sleeping disorder and usually still find myself isolating myself from other people. I don't respond well to stress.

For emotional stress, I do a hell of a lot of spacing off/laying in bed thinking. I have a hard time focusing on little things during these times, and I often don't notice what's going on around me when I've got a lot to worry about. if I'm stressed about something that doesn't require action on my part, I go to other people and talk to them about it and ask for their support, but I'm pretty selective about who I ask.

4. What makes you feel inspired and motivated?
    There are certain people that motivate and inspire more than anything else, either for specific tasks or just to be happy and live. Just being around those people or thinking about them is really all I need. Sometimes I can get inspired by looking at something amazing someone else has done.

5. Think of somebody you have admired or disliked. What has made you like or dislike them? What personality characteristics do you value in others?
    I admire people with strong opinions that can discuss things. Blunt honesty is another big one. I had a mentor in high school that was like that. He always inspired me to do my best and to get everything done really well and not to waste time with unimportant things. He knew what to do and he'd just throw in random things about life and people, and I feel like I learned so much from him. He knew where he stood on things, and he could explain it, and even if it went against what I thought he'd bring it up and have a friendly argument if necessary.

He was also really fun to be around if you got to know him, but otherwise he was okay with most of the teenagers hating him because he was so honest about if their work sucked. He treated everyone on the same level, so if he told you everything you did sucked, it did. If he said "Good job." you know you did an amazing job. No flowery compliments or beating around the bush, but also really helpful comments and advice.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're still Fi/Te introvert in my book. Haven't decided which though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's tweak your questions a little.

1. What is it about your friends that you find attractive? What sort of people do you generally avoid?

2. How do you approach learning about people or things that catch your interest?

3. When you're withdrawn in the company of others, where or upon what is your attention directed?

4. Do you have an ideal life-goal that you are actively working to realize, or a guiding principle by which you measure your actions?

5. Which of your traits are most useful in your daily life?

It would be helpful to know if you've identified a basic enneagram type with fair confidence (this might prove useful if serious doubts exist http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-Pay-Attention), and also a few of your favorite books, movies, or musical albums.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. What is it about your friends that you find attractive? What sort of people do you generally avoid?
    They are all pretty different, but I like people that can talk about weird things and have fun doing so. All my friends are smart and less shy than myself. I don’t avoid anyone really. A certain level of exuberance and I want to punch them, but usually I’ll still deal with them and get along if I need to for some reason. Fake emotions annoy me so much; no one is happy all the time, so acting like it is really unnecessary imo. It seems almost condescending to people that do recognize their emotions.

2. How do you approach learning about people or things that catch your interest?
    When I’m interested in people, I learn a lot by observing them. If I’m interested in talking to them, I might do so if the opportunity arises, though I prefer that it’s not up to me to initiate. I have in some cases. I learn about things that catch my interest from other people if I think they understand the matter well, or I read about it from some reliable/relevant source. If it’s something that can be figured out like a math problem or puzzle, I’m usually pretty excited about trying to figure stuff like that out on my own.

3. When you're withdrawn in the company of others, where or upon what is your attention directed?
    What? Does this mean when I’m with people but not socializing in any way? I don’t know, watching people? That sounds so creepy, but it's true.

4. Do you have an ideal life-goal that you are actively working to realize, or a guiding principle by which you measure your actions?
    Nothing too strict or defined. Ideally, I want to be happy, feel like I understand the world, and am good at things. I’d like to be able to be in a mentally and financially stable enough position to be able to provide and take care of myself and still have more to give to other people (/cats).

5. Which of your traits are most useful in your daily life?
    I’m motivated to succeed and to improve my performance, intelligence, etc. in school and work, so while I may not manage my time perfectly, I usually do pretty well in those endeavors as well by pushing at the last minute and/or coming up with a new, quicker way of doing something. I’m adapt easily and am pretty easy going, which is helpful because I face different people with a range of personalities and socioeconomic statuses (stati? haha). That pretty much sums up my daily challenges.

E6 descriptions fit me the best, so I'll go with that. 4 is possible too though. I test either one of those.

Some of my favorites
    Books: Winnie the Pooh (by A.A.Milne) and 1984
    Movies: A Beautiful Mind, Hannibal Lecter series, Donnie Darko, American Psycho and J. Edgar
    My favorite song is “Friends” by Led Zeppelin. I don’t listen to music very much, so I don’t feel like bs-ing a list of favorites that I don’t actually listen to very often.
    TV: The Big Bang Theory, Fringe, Dexter, Food Network, House, Comedy Central (mostly Colbert)
    Last edited by d1ffe7; 02-01-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting reply, thanks. Salient points abound but I'll keep my lip buttoned a bit longer to avoid skewing our inquiry. And no, unless you're stalking people and peeking into their windows or rifling through their trash to "prove" your suspicions of their wickedness, there's nothing inherently creepy about being a witness and analyst to others' doings.

If we aggregate forum members by quadra we can observe each group and identify their general orientations and attitudes. If you would, and without consulting quadra value charts or worrying whether each self-typing in a given quadra is fully accurate1, briefly outline what traits you've recognized as assisting or impeding communication between yourself and each quadra2.

Oh, and which W. the P. characters do you like best?

1. I am more interested in your answer as a human who interacts with humans than I am in your competency at identifying socio-stuff or reciting catechism verbatim.
    2. Pedantic manure that begs to be spread:
      A) Assuming that most people access privileged knowledge of themselves and are thereby especially qualified to identify their own types, we can then surmise that self-typings are correct more often than not.
      B) Following A's premise it then stands to reason that similar and complementary qualities of each quadra's self-selected members will give rise to intelligible, self-reinforcing patterns of shared perception, rationalization, and relation.
      C) If we accept the general truth of A and B then the discordant qualities within each quadra's mistaken minority of pretenders, misfits, and cranks will appear as anomalies that sharply contrast with their self-selected quadras' predominant traits (see B). Thus it is unnecessary for the purpose of this exercise to be assured of each self-selected quadra-member's "true" type in order to identify each group's hallmark qualities. Also, see 1.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haha, this is funny.

A) Assuming that most people access privileged knowledge of themselves and are thereby especially qualified to identify their own types, we can then surmise that self-typings are correct more often than not.
    I don't see a point in this questionnaire whatsoever if self-typings are, in fact, correct. But there are all kinds of people. People who have the time for it and those who don't. People who brush it off as insignificant and those who don't, and so on.

B) Following A's premise it then stands to reason that similar and complementary qualities of each quadra's self-selected members will give rise to intelligible, self-reinforcing patterns of shared perception, rationalization, and relation.

C) If we accept the general truth of A and B then the discordant qualities within each quadra's mistaken minority of pretenders, misfits, and cranks will appear as anomalies that sharply contrast with their self-selected quadras' predominant traits (see B). Thus it is unnecessary for the purpose of this exercise to be assured of each self-selected quadra-member's "true" type in order to identify each group's hallmark qualities.
    You're quite at peace with your Id functions or whatever it is called.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Haha, this is funny.
    It's a real tickler, pickled pal, and here's why: While I fully anticipated that my self-indulgent digression would draw a rebuke, I foolishly expected its criticism to originate with someone actually capable of firmly grasping its meaning. Imagine my surprise when the first respondent only demonstrated a capacity for smudging it with the fumbling of greasy thumbs.

In any event, thanks for your illuminating exposé of the Ni-polr perspective. I trust we can count on your native expertise if it should ever become impossible to distinguish a bathtub from a bowling ball.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    It's a real tickler, pickled pal, and here's why: While I fully anticipated that my self-indulgent digression would draw a rebuke, I foolishly expected its criticism to originate with someone actually capable of firmly grasping its meaning.
    It wasn't a criticism at all. I'm glad you anticipated it though.

Imagine my surprise when the first respondent only demonstrated a capacity for smudging it with the fumbling of greasy thumbs.
    I'm Ni polr. Can't imagine things.

In any event, thanks for your illuminating exposé of the Ni-polr perspective. I trust we can count on your native expertise if it should ever become impossible to distinguish a bathtub from a bowling ball.
    Absurd's Ark

Ring a bell?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d1ffe7 View Post
    They are all pretty different, but I like people that can talk about weird things and have fun doing so. All my friends are smart and less shy than myself. I don’t avoid anyone really. A certain level of exuberance and I want to punch them, but usually I’ll still deal with them and get along if I need to for some reason. Fake emotions annoy me so much; no one is happy all the time, so acting like it is really unnecessary imo. It seems almost condescending to people that do recognize their emotions.
    LOL, WOW! Fe-PoLR I'd say, so well put and so insightful. I feel the same way about some customs and some justifications that make no sense.

BTW, I was typing you ILI last time, right?
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ekpyrosos, I'm not sure how to answer that. It's an interesting idea, but I haven't really talked to enough people on the forum to think of the gist of the quadras. Not to mention, I feel like if I could describe traits that assist or impede communication with the quadras, I wouldn't have too much trouble typing myself. As far as Winnie-the-Pooh characters, I like Pooh and Piglet best.

The Ineffable, do you think that's Fe-PoLR? I can't remember if you changed your mind since, but on my first thread you typed me F rational.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ekpyrosos, I'm not sure how to answer that. It's an interesting idea, but I haven't really talked to enough people on the forum to think of the gist of the quadras. Not to mention, I feel like if I could describe traits that assist or impede communication with the quadras, I wouldn't have too much trouble typing myself.
    Given your low post count I accept your answer and won't press the matter, though I'll explain why I asked in a moment.

As far as Winnie-the-Pooh characters, I like Pooh and Piglet best.
    So noted. Is there a reason their characteristics stand out to you?

do you think that's Fe-PoLR? I can't remember if you changed your mind since, but on my first thread you typed me F rational.
    I also read vulnerable-Fe in phrases like "A certain level of exuberance and I want to punch them" because people making these displays generally expect, consciously or not, a sympathetic reciprocation of their moods. And so such a thing could be viewed as an encroachment upon your emotional space that demands you behave in an inauthentic manner. Alternately, however, this could be seen as an ExI's ignoring Fe, and in checking the type spreadsheet it appears I'd previously typed you EII. But...

Your questionnaires (let's call them QA and QB for convenience's sake) are peppered with signs of other things:

Irrational > Rational: QB 2, 4-5
    IP temperament: QA 1-3/QB 4-5
    Te+Fi > Fe+Ti: QA 5/QB 1-2
    Introversion: all over the place
    Etc., etc. etc.

So, Serious IP, or xLI. That brings us to why I asked you to describe your impression of quadras as collections of self-typed forum members with whom you've interacted, to examine your answers for signs not just of preferring/identifying with supposed Gammas or Deltas but also providing clues as to which you might be. It seemed better to bring up something instantly relatable (i.e. your impression of various peeps) than it did to ask you to evaluate a hazy abstraction ("do u liek Si or Ni moar?"). Also your answers have been rather behavioristic, so I turned the original questionnaire's inquiries inward somewhat in QB to see what they might illuminate.

I'm still not seeing anything that jumps out screaming Gamma or Delta, but unless new evidence necessitates re-evaluation I'm pretty comfortable summarizing my overall impression by typing you ILI.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks epky I appreciate your thorough-ness.

I've definitely considered ILI before, but I made this thread because it just doesn't seem to fit. I'm skeptical about whether or not I am Te-creative. Do I really seem like a logical type? I definitely think of myself as being more emotional than the ILIs I've seen on the forum.

Do you still self-type as ILI? If so, would you mind trying to explain what Te-creative is to you? Are there any examples of xLI females that I could compare myself to?

Another reason I haven't been able to stick to an ILI typing is that most of my friends are Merry types. I'm only close to few gammas (an LIE and 2 SEEs), and I don't really feel like they understand me or are easier to communicate with or more enjoyable to hang out with than my other friends. I understand why one might doubt that my typings of them -- or anyone for that matter -- are correct, considering how unsure I am about my own type, but I am fairly confident with them, and I've even discussed socionics with them and they completely agreed with my typing of them. The LIE and I worked together (very closely) in high school, same with one of the SEEs, and the other SEE and I have been friends for 4-ish years now, but like I said it doesn't seem like it'd ever be that close of a friendship with any of them.
    Last edited by d1ffe7; 02-05-2012 at 03:13 AM.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ineffable, do you think that's Fe-PoLR? I can't remember if you changed your mind since, but on my first thread you typed me F rational.
    Then it means that you changed your type as ILI and I agreed with that without posting, otherwise I don't know where I remember that ILI from.

Yes, I think that is Fe-PoLR. I have written before about the interactions between Te-Creative and Fe-Base in my experience and about the Christmas Carol type of person. I believe you are so, based on what you've written in that paragraph, although it may be cherry-picking. I also remember your pictures and IMO Ni-Base fits.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You can try typing yourself using cognitive styles: link

This article may be somewhat difficult to understand. I'd recommend mulling over it for some time if you don't grasp it right away. There are some quotes posted at the bottom illustrating each cognitive style - see which ones you relate to the most. If you are either SLI or IEI then descriptions under Vortical-Synergetic cog-style should sound familiar to you. If you are ILI or SEI - then descriptions of DA should ring a bell.

I've definitely considered ILI before, but I made this thread because it just doesn't seem to fit. I'm skeptical about whether or not I am Te-creative. Do I really seem like a logical type? I definitely think of myself as being more emotional than the ILIs I've seen on the forum.
    You may be of competency triad on enneagram. This triad includes types 1,3,5. Sometimes NFs and SFs within this triad get confused for socionics logical types for the reason that their approach to solving problems is usually very clear-headed, aimed at resolving issues rather than emotionally reacting to them:

" ... People whose dominant Harmonic Style is the Competency style try solving problems in an objective, unemotional manner. Unlike people of the reactive style, they don't get worked up when problems happen, they remain cool and emotionally detached from them. When confronted by a problem, these types have issues on working within a framework or structure."

Source: http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/harmonics.html#comp

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though she's claiming IEI right now I think aiss is the best example on the forum of a cerebral female ILI (she'll probably kill me for this disclosure but she read your thread and agreed that ILI was quite plausibly your type). Carrie-Anne Moss and Aubrey Plaza also strike me as being ILI.

Bonus Round:

Phaedrus makes some great arguments about Te vs. Ti in this thread. http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post142296

Just for clarity's sake could you explain what you mean by fake emotional displays? I'm puzzling out how you'd seemingly reject dramatics while hanging with often-demonstrative Merry quadra peeps.

I'd typed up a much lengthier response but lost it to closing the wrong browser tab. Life goes on.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I don't know many people from Delaware."
    "Thank you."

fuck yeah Fe polr humor

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks siuntal. I've seen those all of those dichotomies before, but never seen them put together into cognitive styles. I picked out negativist and evolutionary immediately. Minimizing negative outcomes is something I do a lot, and expecting the worst is a typical. If I'm a fan of any sports team, it's the Giants. Yesterday when I was watching the superbowl I figured they would lose when the Patriots scored before half time and were to get the ball again in the 3rd quarter. I was like "IT'S HOPELESS". Only to be pleasantly proven wrong when they won.

I usually "overcomplicate" stuff too, but it helps me understand it better, especially in the long run.

I think I'll go with ILI for the time being and see how it goes. I'm pretty unsure about my etype, but I don't really care about that for the time being.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    Though she's claiming IEI right now I think aiss is the best example on the forum of a cerebral female ILI (she'll probably kill me for this disclosure but she read your thread and agreed that ILI was quite plausibly your type).
    I think too that Aiss is a good example of ILI. The last time I heard something (perhaps in the chat), she suggested her self-typing as IEI is a joke. Or... well, in her relativistic and ambiguous style, it was a joke and not a joke at the same time, it's up to us to guess what she means, as usual .

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you go to KU? My sister teaches German there.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't go to KU. Why do you ask?

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said you go to college and enjoy walking on the beaches of Kansas... just a guess. KU is in Lawrence Kansas and is pretty much the biggest University in Kansas.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, okay. I asked why you asked because you look somewhat familiar.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in Kansas City ... maybe we met and did not know it.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, you aren't who I thought you might be. You do have a doppelganger though, I can tell you that much.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have told me that several times, I must find him ... and then kill him...

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're SEE. CONFIRMED

We (me and maybe a few celebrities) EIIs can see it as we are humanists and can see into your soul through your posts
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll go with ILI for the time being and see how it goes. I'm pretty unsure about my etype, but I don't really care about that for the time being.
    From your earlier posts in this thread I'd say you sound 5ish to me, if not 5 wing of some sort. Your propensity towards learning about other by detached observation is a very 5 trait, moreso than simply 5 wing which can have that same detachment as a secondary personality trait instead of a primary strategy.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, that rings a bell. Maybe I am a five. What's a good site to read about the enneagram? I haven't given it to much attention, just read a little and taken some tests. The one about how types pay attention was cool, but it was hard to compare the types, especially that weird exercise where you opened a book or something? wtf. I don't quite understand how to determine the best fit yet. The idea of my general strategy sounds better than stuff like basic desire and fears. I think everyone desires and fears all of those things to some extent. Anyway, I don't have any reason to think I can't be at five at this point. Observing people is something I do pretty frequently.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Fitzel site a lot: http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/index.html
    It has really good descriptions of each of the triads too, which I find very helpful for understanding the types better.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious Intuitive type, in my opinion. You have an airy mystic vibe, which is the impression I tend to get from Fi-valuing Intuitives.

Not LIE, but ILI, IEE or EII are all just as likely.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    You can try typing yourself using cognitive styles
    Sure, one can use it. Problems(?) arise when when people state they see themselves in one and at the same time produce a completely different one, like they are unable to decide. Pretty confusing.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh damn, I keep being wrong about myself. That description of a 6 doesn't fit me that much after all. I related to some of the descriptions I've read about it: being loyal, wanting security, etc., but my beliefs and the idea of support systems isn't a central focus for me. Also I am generally too lazy to relate to the idea of working really hard to gain respect. I work really hard sometimes, and have done so for long periods of time, but in those periods of time I reduce my physical and emotional needs, just like the 5 description says.

I take this approach whenever I approach learning something new that I'm actually interested in.
    Fives believe that if they can understand something, they can master it.
    I want to understand everything about what I'm doing before I do it. I hate simply memorizing how to do something.

Anyway, thanks Galen and Siuntal for introducing me to fitzel. It's much better than the other sites I've seen.

Eyeseecold, I don't really relate to Ne too much at all, nor do I relate to IJ or EP>IP. I haven't really given a whole lot of information to go off of on the forum yet (though this is my 100th post!), so it's understandable that you wouldn't rule some types out yet. I identify with ILI much more than either Delta NF, but if you have or ever do have reason to suggest the latter is more likely than the former I'd be interested to hear why.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you seem more of an E5 than an E6.
    I'm guessing those are pics of you on your profile? aw, ur pretty. After seeing those, I think ur Ni/Te..

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You're cute, so I'm going to type you IEI like all the cute girls here.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    Yeah, you seem more of an E5 than an E6.
    I'm guessing those are pics of you on your profile? aw, ur pretty. After seeing those, I think ur Ni/Te..
    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    You're cute, so I'm going to type you IEI like all the cute girls here.

Yes, that's me. Thank you both. (:

---

Thus far, my tentative self typing is ILI 5w4 sp/sx
    I know I said I identified with type 6>4 before so it might make sense that I was 5w6, but perhaps that was just because 6 is a thinking center type, or I didn't know what I was talking about. It's also possible that I am 5w6, but right now I like 5w4 better. I just decided the 4 wing based on:

This post by Ezra quoting similiarminds.com
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...al-differences.

This creepy black-background site that seems kind of sketchy, but I kind of like their wing profiles anyway
    http://mindheart.org/junction/oldcj/ep/types/5/5.html

Here is my response to 5 wing profiles from similarminds:
    Five With a 4 Wing
    The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them. When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing. Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

I don't know if I act like I'm in a bubble, or what that really means, but it's possible that I do sometimes. I've been really into graphic design/web design since I was like 8 or 9, and this idea of "marrying mental perspectives and aesthetics" explains my passion for it. I get to use design rules and coding languages and knowledge of computer programs to make something look nice, and I really love doing that. I strongly relate to withdrawing socially, and sometimes being very friendly and caring. Subject to total overwhelm is relevant too. When I'm really stressed out for long periods of time I can freak out and act quite emotionally in response. I tend to hold on to painful experiences for a long time, and take a long time to get over things for fear that I'll repeat my mistakes if I move on before I'm emotionally ready or before I understand what went wrong. I'm especially touchy to criticism when it's unanticipated because usually I feel like I'm pretty aware of my flaws and mistakes, and don't always know what to say when someone adds to that list.

Five With a 6 Wing
    The 6 wing brings an orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence. Especially intellectual, far more analytical than Fives with a 4 wing. Can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support. Kind, patient teachers, skillful experts. May have a sense of mission and work hard. Sometimes project an aura of sensitive nerdiness and have clumsy social skills. When defensive, they can be unnerved by the expectations of others. May like people more but avoid them more. Especially sensitive to social indebtedness. Could have trouble saying "thank you." Fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead. Ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand. When more entranced, they develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers. Misanthropic and Scrooge-like when defensive. More able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way. Can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated. A Five's 6 wing can be phobic or counterphobic. Counterphobic 6 wing brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes. When defensive they may mock authority, or angrily tell others off. Tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are.

I don't think I'm really that socially clumsy, not to the extent that I'd be prone avoid everyone and get totally absorbed in work or thoughts. I do tend to spend a lot of time alone, not seeking out people too frequently. I'm not sure if that's more 5w4 or 5w6. After a while that would make it soo much worse. I do ask questions though. I am prone some mistrust when it's warranted, but I don't get overly suspicious about people and I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about conspiracies or being paranoid about other's hidden motivations. I'm not very antiauthoritarian, prone to "push the envelope", nor do I think of myself as being especially cold. I can be sarcastic. The only person I've angrily told off is my mom, but don't most teenagers do that?

The ones from the other site were a lot longer, so I'm not going to respond to them. Same idea. The "physical description" sections were pretty amusing though.

This has never occurred to me before, but this sentence from mindheart.org 5w4 profile is true for me:
    "Also, note that sometimes unhealthy 5/4s can dress and act in sevenishly colorful ways."
    Sometimes I look like a total bum and don't care, but usually when I'm going out in public I try to match my clothes, do my makeup, etc., but upon reflection I noticed that the periods in life when I was insecure/depressed I wore more bright clothes and trendier things, whereas when I feel confident I usually dress in gray, blue, and black plain shirts and sweaters. Bright or otherwise attention demanding clothes makes me feel more insecure, but I tend to be drawn to them sometimes because I like the way they look even if they don't represent me. Also, when I am depressed I usually abandon things I really enjoy doing and care about and give myself way too much time to think about trivial things like clothing and comparing myself to other girls. This is turning into a tangent about my female brain though, so I'm going to stop here.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Thanks siuntal. I've seen those all of those dichotomies before, but never seen them put together into cognitive styles. I picked out negativist and evolutionary immediately. Minimizing negative outcomes is something I do a lot, and expecting the worst is a typical. If I'm a fan of any sports team, it's the Giants. Yesterday when I was watching the superbowl I figured they would lose when the Patriots scored before half time and were to get the ball again in the 3rd quarter. I was like "IT'S HOPELESS". Only to be pleasantly proven wrong when they won.

I usually "overcomplicate" stuff too, but it helps me understand it better, especially in the long run.

I was wondering about the overall cognitive styles not dichotomies themselves, because applying the later in isolation can be tricky. Can you with certainty say that description under Dialectical-Algorithmic cognitive style fits you better than description of V-S? Just making sure that you're certain of this, since you gave a mixed response here:

Another reason I haven't been able to stick to an ILI typing is that most of my friends are Merry types. I'm only close to few gammas (an LIE and 2 SEEs), and I don't really feel like they understand me or are easier to communicate with or more enjoyable to hang out with than my other friends. I understand why one might doubt that my typings of them -- or anyone for that matter -- are correct, considering how unsure I am about my own type, but I am fairly confident with them, and I've even discussed socionics with them and they completely agreed with my typing of them. The LIE and I worked together (very closely) in high school, same with one of the SEEs, and the other SEE and I have been friends for 4-ish years now, but like I said it doesn't seem like it'd ever be that close of a friendship with any of them.
    Here you said that most of your friends are Merry types and that the Gammas you know irl don't really understand you. If your type is ILI then wouldn't you find more understanding with other Gammas? There is something off here.

Anyway, thanks Galen and Siuntal for introducing me to fitzel. It's much better than the other sites I've seen.
    yw, there is some more enneagram related stuff posted up here: link

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, no I can't really be sure about the cognitive styles. The descriptions are hard to type by, at least for the time being. The DA one makes more sense to me, but they both seem vague, so I can't decide with 100% certainty.

A big part of me still wants to me IEI because I'm close to so many Fe-valuers. I do get along with my merry friends and feel like they understand me to an extent. However, if I'm going to support or reject a self-typing based on relations with other people, I would think it'd be better to focus on people I have conflicts with.

I typed out a fairly extensive post about why I think my mom (eie) and my dad (sli) are probably my supervisor and business relation respectively, but I navigated away from the page and lost it. I don't feel like typing it out again at the moment, but I really don't see any way my mom and I could be mirrors, even though I know betas can have what seems like "conflict".

It also seems worth mentioning that the gammas I know IRL and I have never had any conflicts. When I worked with them it went very smoothly. I agree that it seems off for me to self-type gamma and say that they don't understand me more than other people. It's just a few people though, and we have a lot of other differences too that make it more difficult to have a closer friendship.