Thread: Why do you type people?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do you type people?

It occurred to me that a lot of "type me" threads mention that the people being typed typed people.

Here's a paraphrase: "Hi, I just joined this forum and wonder what my type is. Let me tell you about myself. Every day, I meet someone and want to know what his/her type is. I also spend a lot of time researching Socionics. Anyhow, here's my picture. Oh, did I mention that I type people a lot? Please let me know what you think my type is."

I'm exaggerating of course. But there does seem to be a trend.

Of course the vast majority on the forum type people. So any quick type deduction ("He's typing something...must be Ti," etc.) is quite tenuous.

But here's a question to ponder (my apologies if this has already been asked): Why do you type people? Whether or not the response says much about ones type, it may indicate something about ones personality. I'm not saying that people will only have one reason, or that their reasons will necessarily be consistent. I just thought this is an interesting way for people to reflect on a rather ubiquitous behavior in this community.

Here are a couple of different hypothetical responses:

"It gives me something to do when I have to be around them."
    "It gives me a way to understand them; otherwise I'd be lost."
    "I'm just so fascinated by people; I want to know as much as I can about them."
    "It helps me understand people so I don't judge them negatively."
    "

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hi, people keep thanking me for my posts even when they don't know what I'm saying and when they're laden with you know what. Type me.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

idk, i'm just interested in socionics and it's part of my worldview now. when i notice possible types for someone it's often automatic, and similar to noticing other aspects of their personality and character traits. (e.g. this person seems friendly, a bit neurotic, and Ej temperament)

i guess i'll consciously spend more time pondering types for people who especially catch my attention, for whatever reason - such as a potential friend, guys i find attractive, etc.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even before discovering typology I've always been observational of peoples behaviorism and personalities so it wasn't really a big leap when I found out that there's a natural pattern, so to speak, involved. For instance, I've always felt uneasy or all out intimidated around types, I just didn't know they were "Se" types prior.
    It was really just putting a label on what I already seen. The only major discovery from Socionics I picked-up on is intertype compatibility, whereas now I get that people act in ways that are foreign to me in order to receive a subconscious requirement.
    For instance; Ep types have always come off as being sporadic, temperamental and less cautious than I could relate to, but from understanding Socionics, I've identified that as and neediness

So to answer your question, I type people to understand them better, but I don't "type" people without sufficient evidence either; when I meet someone for the first time, it isn't "this person is this type", anything to do with Socionics comes out very gradually
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's mainly intellectual wankery.
    언제나.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any distinct trends between certain types and myself.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

To help them find their type. I may also try to direct them to some articles or other material so that they can get better informed, because ultimately they will have to decide on their type for themselves irrespective of what anyone else thinks.

In real interaction sometimes types will just randomly occur to me, but generally I don't give it much conscious thought since this interferes with me thinking about other stuff that I find to be more relevant and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    "It gives me a way to understand them; otherwise I'd be lost." ...
    I really don't find socionics to be of much use here. Many of the more fascinating and intriguing personality characteristics that one can run into with others aren't due to socionics information elements in the first place.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To use their weaknesses to my advantage and exploit helpless psyches... >:S AKA win friends and influence people.